Code of Conduct

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Code of Conduct
backalley101
6/23/08 5:00:48PM
NBA, NFL, and other leagues, they have a code of conduct when you sign with them. I am just wondering if the UFC and the other organizations should adopt a code of conduct clause for inside and outside of the ring. I am getting so sick of the attitudes and behavior of some of these fighters, especially the Diaz brothers. There is no honor and no respect in some of these guys. What do you all think, is this a good idea or a bad idea?
grappler0000
6/23/08 5:16:16PM

Posted by backalley101

NBA, NFL, and other leagues, they have a code of conduct when you sign with them. I am just wondering if the UFC and the other organizations should adopt a code of conduct clause for inside and outside of the ring. I am getting so sick of the attitudes and behavior of some of these fighters, especially the Diaz brothers. There is no honor and no respect in some of these guys. What do you all think, is this a good idea or a bad idea?

The UFC might already have something like this in place, but not sure. When they dropped Babalu, I'm not sure if it was the end of his contract or not. The smaller orgs usually just deal with it...if it's a big name anyway. And almost to a sickening degree in some cases...like when Shaw was trying to get Crazyhorse out of jail so he could fight on his card. That made me dislike Shaw even more. As far as attitudes...I'm not sure you can fault a fighter with an attitude, as it's part of the game.
mkiv9secsupra
6/23/08 5:24:52PM
Personal rivalries are what sell out arenas and stadiums in every sport worldwide. It spices things up a bit and gives a little more anticipation about certain fights. I could care less about their attitudes. If they have a personality flaw like being cocky or being a dick then oh well. If they go out and rob a bank or kill someone then i have a problem with it. Starting an argument isnt something that drags the sport as a whole down. Chris Leben who is arrested for DUI then later violates his probation from the DUI is on thin ice. He is a borderline character but anything less is fine by me.
mictlantechutli
6/23/08 6:06:55PM

Posted by grappler0000

The UFC might already have something like this in place, but not sure. When they dropped Babalu, I'm not sure if it was the end of his contract or not. The smaller orgs usually just deal with it...if it's a big name anyway. And almost to a sickening degree in some cases...like when Shaw was trying to get Crazyhorse out of jail so he could fight on his card. That made me dislike Shaw even more. As far as attitudes...I'm not sure you can fault a fighter with an attitude, as it's part of the game.

I'm almost positive he was cut mid contract, so they must have had some type of conduct clause in his contract, or they paid him off.
juanez13
6/23/08 6:38:36PM

Posted by mictlantechutli

Posted by grappler0000

I'm almost positive he was cut mid contract, so they must have had some type of conduct clause in his contract, or they paid him off.

yea he was cut with a couple fights left on his contract, within their contracts there is a clause that states that at any point given the UFC has the power to release them of their contract duties with UFC(which may or may not have included something about conduct)...these the use mostly with fighters that just arent "good enough", typically this is when a fighter drops a couple fights in a row, or a new comer that didnt do well.....

About the topic itself, i think the UFC are the only ones who are strict with how their fighter act publicly, because they are the face of MMA fight now, a sport that is just coming into mainstream, that is being criticized as its making its way, they cant afford to take anymore shots, so they are tight on how they are to be represented....Ex. TUF....

Other than the UFC, the other companies mostly dont care, because if its one of their big stars, they just cant afford to loose them, so they just deal with it as stated before.