CNN/Youtube Republican Debate

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » CNN/Youtube Republican Debate
Svartorm
11/29/07 3:04:06AM
Did anyone watch this and if so, what did you think?

I thought Romney did absolutely horrible, followed closely by Ron Paul. I was surprised that McCain did ok, and I thought Huckabee and Thompson did very well for being underdogs in the election.

My favorite answer was Tacadero telling the "Mars Society" to basically **** off and not ask to waste money on trips to Mars.
Manfred
11/29/07 7:36:51AM
I watched the first hour or so.

Rudy, Mitt and Fred were so busy slinging mud right from the start that I thought McCain did pretty well

Huckabee usually does pretty good so that was no surprise. Ron Paul always gets his butt kicked.

I thought Rudy's willingness to give answers that he knew would be unpopular among that crowd will serve him well in the general.
Lord_Lenny
11/29/07 12:20:57PM
i caught part of it before i had to sleep, from what i saw, Thompson did well, Ron Paul did not, but Rudy seemed to be the only one that answered questions straight up
rabbit915
11/29/07 2:14:41PM
Huckabee FTW!!!

Seriously, if you dont know who Mike Huckabee is you need to do some research because he is the man you want to vote for.

jdubs
11/29/07 2:48:54PM

Posted by rabbit915

Huckabee FTW!!!

Seriously, if you dont know who Mike Huckabee is you need to do some research because he is the man you want to vote for.

not after i learned he supports giving scholarships to illegals.... i think romney seriously screwed up with his confederate flag answer, he lost alot of southern votes for that, dumb
warglory
11/29/07 4:15:08PM
McCain and Guiliani did the best I thought, both were well spoken and defended. I think Romney did horrible and this debate is going to hurt him a lot. The whole water boarding issue? Damn, McCain recked him with that. If Romney is selected as a candidate, I am going to vote Democrat, even if its Hillary.

On another note, its sad that Ron Paul is not good in one on one debates, he can't seem to get the right words to compete. I really believe in a lot of his ideas, so its sad that the party pushes him to the wayside.
Lord_Lenny
11/29/07 5:01:49PM

Posted by warglory
On another note, its sad that Ron Paul is not good in one on one debates, he can't seem to get the right words to compete. I really believe in a lot of his ideas, so its sad that the party pushes him to the wayside.

exactly, and from what i saw, he couldn't get most of those ideas out there that would really help his chances. I wish some other candidates would take a few of his ideas and adopt them as their own, so that there is a chance of them going into effect, but i don't like his Iraq plan
roadking95th
11/29/07 5:43:04PM
Fortunately I didn't see the "debate." If I had, I would have been even more pissed off than I am now. Every hour, more and more "planted" questioniares pop up. What are we up to now, 5? Pathetic. Shame on CNN.
Svartorm
11/29/07 7:03:37PM

Posted by jdubs

Posted by rabbit915

Huckabee FTW!!!

not after i learned he supports giving scholarships to illegals.... i think romney seriously screwed up with his confederate flag answer, he lost alot of southern votes for that, dumb

That and a Federal sales tax to go to the poor, but I think Huckabee would make a good VP.

And Romney ****** up by dodging too many questions, including the Confederate flag one.
warglory
11/29/07 8:11:22PM

Posted by roadking95th

Fortunately I didn't see the "debate." If I had, I would have been even more pissed off than I am now. Every hour, more and more "planted" questioniares pop up. What are we up to now, 5? Pathetic. Shame on CNN.

Planted? The questions were very unconventional as it comes to debates. If they were planted, some of them were damn good questions.
Manfred
11/29/07 8:34:45PM

Posted by warglory

Posted by roadking95th

Planted? The questions were very unconventional as it comes to debates. If they were planted, some of them were damn good questions.

Didn't you hear about the Gay General? He asked the question about gays in the military. He works for the CLINTON campaign!!

Also, it turned out that another questioner supports Edwards and yet another supports Obama.

Since this was a republican PRIMARY debate, dems and liberals had no right asking questions. They will have their chance in the general
Svartorm
11/29/07 9:03:58PM
I thought it was weird that even after McCain gave a solid answer and was totally respectful, the guy was still trying to fly off the handle.

Granted, I don't think homosexuals should get booted from the military, but the only solutions to this open larger cans of worms.

Edit: Not to mention that the opposition sending plants into a debate is actually illegal.
warglory
11/29/07 10:01:00PM

Posted by Manfred

Posted by warglory

Posted by roadking95th

Didn't you hear about the Gay General? He asked the question about gays in the military. He works for the CLINTON campaign!!

Also, it turned out that another questioner supports Edwards and yet another supports Obama.

Since this was a republican PRIMARY debate, dems and liberals had no right asking questions. They will have their chance in the general

Oh right, I misunderstood what he meant by planted comments I guess. But yeah, I agree that democratic plants should not be allowed. What other questions besides the gays n the military question were supposedly by plants?
Pitbull09
11/29/07 10:07:01PM
I never like romney at the debates. He seems to only be saying exactly what the party wants to hear and It doesnt sound like its what he will actually do. McCain is one of the best in the race but he gets shadowed over jsut because of some of the bills he went against republicans with. If you seriously look at his beliefs though, you would think hes a perfect candidate for the party but they prob will go with Gulliani
Manfred
11/29/07 11:15:41PM

Posted by warglory
What other questions besides the gays n the military question were supposedly by plants?

There was the college chick siting outside (I forgot her question). She presented herself in her email as a right-leaning independent. Someone looked up her youtube profile and she's wearing an Edward '08 t-shirt and has a bunch of liberal videos.

Don't remember the Obama guy's story though. Heard it in passing. Turn on Fox tonight. They of course of having a field day with this. O'Rielly, H & C, they are all over it.

And people wonder why the conservative press calls CNN the "Clinton News Network"
Manfred
11/29/07 11:22:10PM

Posted by Pitbull09

I never like romney at the debates. He seems to only be saying exactly what the party wants to hear and It doesnt sound like its what he will actually do. McCain is one of the best in the race but he gets shadowed over jsut because of some of the bills he went against republicans with. If you seriously look at his beliefs though, you would think hes a perfect candidate for the party but they prob will go with Gulliani

The majority of experts seem to think that Romney, Thompson, McCain and even Huckabee who's been coming up recently are all in the Quarter finals vying for the right to face Rudy in the Semi's to see who takes on Hillary in the Finals.

If the Republicans want to take on Hillary, they need a moderate (like McCain or Rudy) and they will have a win.
jiujitsufreak74
11/29/07 11:51:21PM

Posted by Manfred

Posted by Pitbull09

The majority of experts seem to think that Romney, Thompson, McCain and even Huckabee who's been coming up recently are all in the Quarter finals vying for the right to face Rudy in the Semi's to see who takes on Hillary in the Finals.

If the Republicans want to take on Hillary, they need a moderate (like McCain or Rudy) and they will have a win.

i agree manfred although it isn't looking good for republicans. you have to remember that about half of the americans that vote no nothing about the issues each candidate is for and usually chooses the candidate that either appears to be charismatic or will usher in a change if they are not happy with the old administration. here we have most americans not happy with this administration and unfortunately all of the republican candidates will be tied psychologically to this administration thus more people will be willing to vote democrat than republican i am fraid and for the wrong reason. i don't mind if you pick a candidate because you believe they are the best person for the job, but unfortunately most americans don't always vote that way. however, i think rudy would have the best chance and he might be the only republican since reagan to win the state of NY which would be huge and might even win him the election.

i personally think hillary is not the best candidate for the job and really don't want her in office. i think she is not the right fot atm and unfortunately i think she will win because most people will vote democrat for the reason i stated plus a lot odf people will vote for her based soley on the fact that she is a woman
Svartorm
11/30/07 3:21:54AM
I'd be willing to vote for Gulianni if he has Huckabee or Thompson as his VP, but otherwise I can't stomach him.

I think the Republicans can take the election, provided none of the GOP frontrunners (or Ron Paul) run independent when they lose the Primary. Most Republicans are hardcore anti-Hillary, and most of the casual voters I've run into are also anti-Hillary. As long as the vote isn't splintered by an independent, she hopefully can't get into office. This is, of course, provided she wins her own Primary, which isn't a sure thing.
hippysmacker
11/30/07 4:04:10AM
I hope McCain wins of the choices, and I think he should ask Condoleezza Rice to be his VP to siphon off some women and minority votes. She said she wouldn't run, but I haven't heard her say she won't be VP. Although I have head she is pro-chioce. If thats true I say leave her off and find a conservative woman for the ticket. I am not as up on politics as I used to be, so I apologize if this has been publicly shot down already. If she isn't suitable does anyone who leans to the right here know of a suitable female VP?
fullerene
11/30/07 8:13:17AM
I saw the debate and the voter feedback (graphic from 1-10) as it happened on CNN. Last night I saw FoxNews analyze the debate with their own voters and graphics. I think those two networks might be good proxies for the general election (CNN) and the Republican primary (Fox).

What was striking was how negatively the Fox audience reacted to any type of moderate stance on a topic by Giuliani or especially McCain. It might be spin, but it seemed like the most striking point they were making was how badly McCain came across (I actually thought he did well). As an example, his back-and-forth with Romney on waterboarding had the voter graphic go from something like 8 when Romney was talking to 2 as soon as McCain mentioned the Geneva convention. Rudy and McCain also got bad any time they said something positive about illegal immigrants.

I was a little surprised that Fox would take that tact. As people are already mentioning in this thread, the Republican choices are realistically a moderate or a Democrat and knocking the two best moderates out in the primary leaves only one choice left. Of course from a selfish FoxNews perspective, Hillary Clinton would be the ultimate target, I mean president.
fullerene
11/30/07 12:50:32PM
Maybe what Fox did wasn't so unusual. I listened to Air America radio at lunch (a liberal broacasting network) and all they did was hammer Hillary Clinton for hiding from answering questions.
ncordless
11/30/07 2:05:40PM
I watched the debate, and was thoroughly impressed with all the candidate's ability to dodge questions like "how does a christian support the death penalty". I am pleased to say that all of the candidates passed the "answer without answering test" except for Tom Tancredo and Ron Paul. I look forward to a general election in which Hillary's skills at evasion can truly be put to the test against an opponent who can dodge with the best of them. It will truly be a sight to see. The most BS ever assembled on one stage!!

EDIT: Oh wait, I just opened my Good News Bible and the part about "let he who is without sin cast the first stone" has been changed to "An eye for an eye".

Oh, crap I messed that up. It wasn't the Good News Bible, it was the Koran! But wait, does that mean that the Republicans support Fundamental Islamic Law? That seems odd.
loller90278
11/30/07 2:10:28PM
i think if ron paul gets enough internet backing then he can be a serious competitor.. kucinich also said he wouldn't mind running with him
jiujitsufreak74
11/30/07 2:47:12PM
speaking of kucinich, have you guys ever noticed that every time he talks they always go right to his hot wife? actually, one debate they were going over to her for everyone, one time biden was talking and they cut right to her, the daily show had a good parody on it and made sure that it was known that the camera guy that day couldn't stop going over to mrs. kucinich. i also like what colbert did with all of the things kucininch keeps in his pockets
Svartorm
11/30/07 6:01:23PM

Posted by hippysmacker

If she isn't suitable does anyone who leans to the right here know of a suitable female VP?

Not that I know of. There are plenty of conservative women out there, but none in a high enough office to make an impression as a viable VP.
Svartorm
11/30/07 6:05:09PM

Posted by loller90278

i think if ron paul gets enough internet backing then he can be a serious competitor.. kucinich also said he wouldn't mind running with him

Not going to happen dude. He got killed in the debate. Hes got some great ideas and all the qualifications he needs, but hes a poor public speaker and some of his ideas are downright insane and/or completely misguided. Unless all his supports move to Alaska and vote, hes not winning any states.
Manfred
11/30/07 7:41:50PM

Posted by Svartorm

Posted by hippysmacker

If she isn't suitable does anyone who leans to the right here know of a suitable female VP?

Not that I know of. There are plenty of conservative women out there, but none in a high enough office to make an impression as a viable VP.

I agree. Even Condi has never been elected to anything and she's got to carry the baggage of the administation. So she would be a bad choice, IMO.

But like you said, there aren't too many viable women. Maybe Elizabeth Dole. If you want diversity, Colin Powell would work if it was for that flippin' UN speach. and many moderates would get behind him
warglory
12/1/07 2:06:34AM

Posted by Manfred

Posted by Svartorm

Posted by hippysmacker

I agree. Even Condi has never been elected to anything and she's got to carry the baggage of the administation. So she would be a bad choice, IMO.

But like you said, there aren't too many viable women. Maybe Elizabeth Dole. If you want diversity, Colin Powell would work if it was for that flippin' UN speach. and many moderates would get behind him

I am pretty sure that Powell is done representing himself in politics. The Bush Administration screwed him over. He is done being a Yes man, be it in politics or in the military. Its too bad though, he was a favorite of mine in the Republican party.