Clock is ticking on Mirko Cro Cop and the UFC …

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Clock is ticking on Mirko Cro Cop and the UFC …
juanez13
2/4/08 11:58:23AM

“We’re waiting to hear from him. We told him we’d wait for him to make a decision, but he’s not making a decision…. The deadline is pretty much up, and I need decision from him by Monday (February 4).”

UFC President Dana White provides an update on the Mirko Cro Cop situation — the 2006 Pride FC Open Weight Grand Prix Champion has a losing record inside the Octagon (1-2) and has not competed since UFC 75: “Champion vs. Champion” in September 2007. No word on what will happen if the deadline expires with no word from the Croatian.

LINK
DCRage
2/4/08 12:41:11PM
He probably realizes that if he comes back and loses his next fight, he's all but out. Generally fighters who lose 3 in a row in UFC have a hard time getting another fight. He might be best served going elsewhere for now then coming back once he's built back up.
CiaoBaby
2/4/08 1:22:26PM
Cro-Cop said after his Kongo loss that all he wanted to do was fight Big Nog. Nog now with the belt that doest seem likely. Who is there for him to fight? Lesnar maybe...???
emfleek
2/4/08 1:31:32PM

Posted by CiaoBaby

Cro-Cop said after his Kongo loss that all he wanted to do was fight Big Nog. Nog now with the belt that doest seem likely. Who is there for him to fight? Lesnar maybe...???

Not Lesnar. I don't think the UFC will risk EITHER fighter losing another fight.
Lay_N_Pray
2/4/08 2:12:00PM
Some guy on the linked website said a possible fight with Jeff Monson could happen at UFC 84.

But if Cro Cop does fight again it would be against a Monson or maybe Hardonk or someone. They are going to want to give him a good chance at a win.
brutalbones
2/4/08 2:29:20PM

Posted by Lay_N_Pray

Some guy on the linked website said a possible fight with Jeff Monson could happen at UFC 84.

But if Cro Cop does fight again it would be against a Monson or maybe Hardonk or someone. They are going to want to give him a good chance at a win.

If they want to give him a good chance to win, they better keep him away from Monson. Isn't it sad that the UFC has to give Cro Cop a lower-tier fighter like Hardonk to try and give him a win.
Gipper
2/4/08 3:06:08PM
i think crocop fights a top 10 or 15 guy. he's proved he is one of the best hw's in the world. 2 losses in a row doesn't take that away from him. mirko crocop will be back.
telnights
2/4/08 4:04:59PM
Man i want to Mirko make a come back as much as anyone but not returning the UFC calls makes it look like your avoiding them and not wanting to fight.
cmill21
2/4/08 6:06:53PM
Complete BS. Seriously I've had conversations with his merchandise manager, he's asked for a fight. This is posturing to get him to lower his price. I guess when Randy doesn't like the contract he signs and does this he's crucified but when the UFC does the same thing it's ok.
D0wnUnd6e6r
2/4/08 6:54:02PM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by CiaoBaby

Not Lesnar. I don't think the UFC will risk EITHER fighter losing another fight.

agreed
telnights
2/4/08 7:33:28PM

Posted by cmill21

Complete BS. Seriously I've had conversations with his merchandise manager, he's asked for a fight. This is posturing to get him to lower his price. I guess when Randy doesn't like the contract he signs and does this he's crucified but when the UFC does the same thing it's ok.

source? Proof? something other than you talked to t-shirt salesman. Just because he asked for fight doesn't mean he is responding to their calls.
cloppio
2/4/08 8:10:04PM
i'd like to see him fight big tim. two strikers. i think it would be a good test for both fighters
cmill21
2/4/08 8:24:05PM

Posted by telnights

Posted by cmill21

source? Proof? something other than you talked to t-shirt salesman. Just because he asked for fight doesn't mean he is responding to their calls.

Source is Slaven Lucic, he's not a t shirt sales man, he's also the owner/operater of www.nokaut.com and www.mma-id.com, and has been a good friend of Mirko's since they were young. If you want to see the open forum convo's that he's responded in go to nokaut and there is a thread titled "Dana on Cro Cop" in the Cro Cop forum. He acctually talked to Cro Cop today. In a private conversation I had with him via PM's he disclosed pretty much exactly what was going on and that there was a set back or two in Cro Cop's training. Cro Cop is ready have a fight booked but he will need a month or two for prep. Cro Cop wasn't aware that he was under a deadline and had no idea this was going on until Slaven called him for comment.
JimiMak
2/4/08 9:13:38PM

Posted by cloppio

i'd like to see him fight big tim. two strikers. i think it would be a good test for both fighters

Agreed. Tim is exactly who I ws thinking. Def be make or break for CC but he could potentially crucify Tim standing and come off looking great. If he loses he gets cut and goes to fight for someone else, if he doesn't retire.
Kracker_Jap
2/4/08 9:13:53PM

Posted by Lay_N_Pray

Sorry I doubt it I watched the PPV81 with a bunch of freinds in the 360 a few of the train with Monson said he has some serious head injury from his last KO
it will be a will before we see him fight anytime soon
chubbud22
2/4/08 9:43:28PM

Posted by cloppio

That fight makes sense
Kastro
2/4/08 9:59:42PM

Posted by brutalbones

Posted by Lay_N_Pray

If they want to give him a good chance to win, they better keep him away from Monson. Isn't it sad that the UFC has to give Cro Cop a lower-tier fighter like Hardonk to try and give him a win.

Wow, are you kidding me?

Monson is the perfect get on track opponent for Cro Cop..

Mirko now has a feel of the octagon, and with all the reach he has on Monson he will stay outside takedown range and pick him apart most likely score the trademark left high kick for everyone to see...

I hope this is true that Cro Cop is fighting Monson so you can see how serious Cro Cop can actually fight when he's on point and 100% comfortable in there..

And as for ducking the UFC, I dont think Cro Cop would ever do something like that.. lets all remember, he doesn't even need to fight he has so many other things on the go but he fights because thats his true spirit and he is loyal to his fans around the world.

Cro Cop is a soldier and will definitely return to the UFC with a bang, then we will see some opinions change around here.
telnights
2/5/08 1:57:06AM

Posted by cmill21

Posted by telnights

Posted by cmill21

Source is Slaven Lucic, he's not a t shirt sales man, he's also the owner/operater of www.nokaut.com and www.mma-id.com, and has been a good friend of Mirko's since they were young. If you want to see the open forum convo's that he's responded in go to nokaut and there is a thread titled "Dana on Cro Cop" in the Cro Cop forum. He acctually talked to Cro Cop today. In a private conversation I had with him via PM's he disclosed pretty much exactly what was going on and that there was a set back or two in Cro Cop's training. Cro Cop is ready have a fight booked but he will need a month or two for prep. Cro Cop wasn't aware that he was under a deadline and had no idea this was going on until Slaven called him for comment.

Thats still not proving your claims that the UFC is posturing to low ball him on his contract. Only thing your proving is he was unaware of a deadline I don't know how you think that = posturing to law ball anyone. If anything just proves he isn't in contact with the UFC which goes back to the hole point of the story that Cro Cop needs to pick up his phone when they call.
snakeplissken
2/5/08 2:28:34AM
The match I would want to see is Mirko vs. Arlovski. Failing that, Vera or Mir.
Svartorm
2/5/08 2:35:23AM
They've got to be very careful who they match him up with if they want to ensure he gets back on a winning track, but with what hes making per fight, they can't feed him a can either. In my opinion Big Tim is a dangerous bet because he could beat him in the clinch, same as Kongo. Monson would be perfect as hes reflexively slow and would most likely eat the LHK and make it an early night for CC. The loser of O'Brian vs. AA would make for a good fight on way or another.
SmileR
2/5/08 8:32:51AM
I hope he does get a fight soon. I can't imagine him coming out unprepared or half hearted as another loss would seriously tarnish his legacy.

He looked promising in the Kongo fight but after the nut shots and the broken/fractured rib you could see him losing steam but still fought on to a decision! It was just a testament to how tough this guy is!

Maybe they could match him up against Vera in his next match. Both are good striker and it might convince Vera to drop down to LHW where he could be a force.

cmill21
2/5/08 8:39:43AM

Posted by telnights

Posted by cmill21

Posted by telnights

Posted by cmill21

Thats still not proving your claims that the UFC is posturing to low ball him on his contract. Only thing your proving is he was unaware of a deadline I don't know how you think that = posturing to law ball anyone. If anything just proves he isn't in contact with the UFC which goes back to the hole point of the story that Cro Cop needs to pick up his phone when they call.

That portion was my opinion on what's going on here. Next time I share info with you i'll be sure to write you a full e-mail with quotes and little lines, and circles so your 100% on who's saying what....
telnights
2/5/08 5:18:41PM

Posted by cmill21
That portion was my opinion on what's going on here. Next time I share info with you i'll be sure to write you a full e-mail with quotes and little lines, and circles so your 100% on who's saying what....

Well to make claims that you made needs some proof because you presented it as fact. Making other people think false truths about the UFC. Just like the hole AA issue people still think it was the UFC fault that he hasn't been fighting and the truth is it wasn't the UFC fault at all. So the last thing MMA needs is people going around making false statements about the number 1 origination in MMA.
cmill21
2/5/08 5:56:30PM

Posted by telnights

Posted by cmill21

Well to make claims that you made needs some proof because you presented it as fact. Making other people think false truths about the UFC. Just like the hole AA issue people still think it was the UFC fault that he hasn't been fighting and the truth is it wasn't the UFC fault at all. So the last thing MMA needs is people going around making false statements about the number 1 origination in MMA.

Two separate thoughts...each one is clearly punctuated properly, so it's your fault for assuming it was all one thought not mine.
Ordep
2/5/08 6:16:49PM
Vera is rumored for UFC 85 ..... I think this might be against CC. But also. CC in England again??
telnights
2/5/08 8:38:25PM

Posted by cmill21

Posted by telnights

Posted by cmill21

Two separate thoughts...each one is clearly punctuated properly, so it's your fault for assuming it was all one thought not mine.

Well lets look at your post.

Posted by cmill21

No if they were separate thoughts and if you weren't trying to present it as fact you would have said, "I think" or "It seams to be" or "they could be" anything other than "this is" which presents it as if its a fact.
cmill21
2/5/08 9:16:15PM
Alright big guy let it go, I'll remember to say "I THINK" next time I post anything. I THINK your quickly becoming the most annoying poster on this site

I THINK this is just posturing by the UFC. I THINK they would like Cro Cop to lower his price. I also KNOW that Cro Cop didn't even know about this deadline. I KNOW your going to ask for a source so I THINK it's: HERE!
telnights
2/5/08 10:46:23PM

Posted by cmill21

Alright big guy let it go, I'll remember to say "I THINK" next time I post anything. I THINK your quickly becoming the most annoying poster on this site

I THINK this is just posturing by the UFC. I THINK they would like Cro Cop to lower his price. I also KNOW that Cro Cop didn't even know about this deadline. I KNOW your going to ask for a source so I THINK it's: HERE!

Man your on edge aren't you. Little bit much but if you think thats what it takes for you to understand how to make a statement without blending non fact with fact then so be it.