Cleaning out a Division

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Cleaning out a Division
gartface
6/5/12 3:09:41PM
What is your definition of a division being cleaned out?

I ask this, and you may think it's dumb, but because in the Jon Jones/JDS news thread someone referenced that JDS had all but cleared out the heavyweight division. In my opinion he's far from cleaning it out. A title win and a title defense are in no way cleaning a division out. I know he had a long road to the top, but still, you have to fight with the strap for a while before I can consider a division cleaned out.

What do you guys think? Also which divisions are cleaned out in your opinion?

The only one I can really think of at the moment would be Light Heavyweight, and there are still a few fights that Jones could have ahead of him.
FastKnockout
6/5/12 3:22:59PM
LHW for sure, and WW has been jammed for so long the contenders are cleaning themselves out.
Pskinner_mma314
6/5/12 4:20:34PM

Posted by FastKnockout

LHW for sure, and WW has been jammed for so long the contenders are cleaning themselves out.

LHW for sure.....the only real contender left for Jones is Gus after Hendo(I wanna believe in his giant chin, but I just think Jones is too much at this point).

WW is a mindfuck.....everyone has fought everyone and won and lost to everyone.....how do you get contenders outta that...especially if GSP wins against Carlos. MW is all but lemony fresh cleaned out thanks to Andy, though if Chael manages a miracle, then that changes the whole dynamic.

LW is WIDE open.

featherweight's King is a time will tell kinda situation cuz I think Jose will move up.

BW, as much as I hate to say it, Urijah has it locked(<---- I'll take av bets on this).

FW, isn't their only like 4 fighters? lets bring some guys in before we even discuss this.

HW is a bit awkward. All the guys on the come up or who are consistantly winning have either lost to JDS or lost to guys who fought JDS.....except for Browne....who is a striker......and then there is the half horse half man guy....what was his name Uberoids, idk something like that but he's out for awhile....pretty much every division except LW is pretty much locked down.
Chael_Sonnen
6/5/12 4:51:14PM
Chael (P)erfection already cleaned out the 85 division....once he retires BK, I'm guessing Champ will be moving up to 205.
ghandikush
6/5/12 6:54:14PM

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Chael (P)erfection already cleaned out the 85 division....once he retires BK, I'm guessing Champ will be moving up to 205.

Cleaned out the division besides Anderson, and Maia, and Munoz, and Belfort, and Boetsch......

But keep talking before Anderson finishes Chael again.

Anderson UFC record 14-0 eating burger king and mcdonalds.......

Fail Sonnen UFC record 5-4 all losses he was finished in, but he sure does do good interviews about being the best.....

Uncrowned king ;)
jakewalters
6/5/12 7:10:20PM

Posted by ghandikush

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Cleaned out the division besides Anderson, and Maia, and Munoz, and Belfort, and Boetsch......

Fail Sonnen UFC record 5-4 all losses he was finished in, but he sure does do good interviews about being the best.....

Uncrowned king ;)

You understand you're letting Chael Sonnen troll you, right? Right. Okay then.

infestructure
6/5/12 7:45:28PM
As much as I hate to admit this, which is a lot, but GSP had WW cleaned out and gutted a little while back. I still don't think Kampmann or Jake E can do it. Rory Mac -our shining light in the dark- is the only one who can take GSP.

We need a JJ/Evans feud type thing going on over in Canuckville
frizzzlecake
6/5/12 7:56:26PM
I think GSP/Matt Hughes/Jones/Liddell all cleaned out their divisions.

Funny both at WW and LHW.
spang714
6/5/12 8:09:56PM
"cleaned out" is a strange term...as long as each division has fighters winning fights...there should always be contenders (even if they really dont stand a chance)...the champs need to fight someone

I am not opposed to rematches either
ghandikush
6/5/12 8:55:54PM

Posted by jakewalters

Posted by ghandikush

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Uncrowned king ;)

I understand his biggest fan is letting me know he trolled me. 5-4
jakewalters
6/5/12 10:45:22PM

Posted by ghandikush

Posted by jakewalters

Posted by ghandikush

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Uncrowned king ;)

Ya.. You got me dude. Just pointing out the fact that Andy has obviously cleaned out 185. You don't need to convince anyone that Chael hasnt cleaned out the MW division.
BossHog
6/5/12 11:34:46PM
Sorry Chael and whoever else but there is no such thing as cleaning out a division. Maybe there's a temporary lack of contenders, but the beauty of MMA is that the sport is evolving so fast there is always a hungry contender coming out of nowhere to kick the champ's ass.
jakewalters
6/5/12 11:56:27PM

Posted by BossHog

Sorry Chael and whoever else but there is no such thing as cleaning out a division. Maybe there's a temporary lack of contenders, but the beauty of MMA is that the sport is evolving so fast there is always a hungry contender coming out of nowhere to kick the champ's ass.

I halfway agree. I think it definitely did exist. We did see GSP and Andy clean out their divisions in like 2009. But in the future with all the rising talent I think that concept will become a lot more rare.
Chael_Sonnen
6/6/12 12:23:42AM

Posted by ghandikush

Posted by jakewalters

Posted by ghandikush

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Uncrowned king ;)

Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
prozacnation1978
6/6/12 9:01:53AM
No one is safe.

Jds has reem at least

Jones has hendo then Alexander at least

Silva has sonnen 2. Then lombard or stann. Maybe bisping then retire

Gsp has condit. Then hendricks. Kampman. Rory

Henderson has Edgar 2 than diaz. Then maybe pettis

Aldo has koch. Korean zombie and Hioki