Clay Guida Removed From UFC Undisputed 2009

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Clay Guida Removed From UFC Undisputed 2009
Wolfenstein
5/25/09 4:48:20PM
Popular lightweight fighter, Clay Guida, was originally slated to be on the video game’s roster but had to be removed because of his hair.

THQ had reportedly offered Guida money to cut his hair so that they could keep him in the game but Guida apparently turned down the offer.

link
mrsmiley
5/25/09 5:10:55PM
I was wondering why you couldn't give your character long hair.
Must have been too difficult to add in the game.
fizzle
5/25/09 5:46:32PM
I'd rather keep my hair too. Props Guida for not selling out to the man!
sparky
5/25/09 5:50:23PM
Thats gay with all the computer technology they have they couldnt find a way to make the hair work!!!!!
Jackelope
5/25/09 5:50:47PM

Posted by fizzle

I'd rather keep my hair too. Props Guida for not selling out to the man!

Agreed, and boo to THQ. They fail, once again. I wouldn't be surprised to see them go out of business in the next couple of years. They've consistently put out sub par sports games. I know UFC Undisputed doesn't seem too bad at this moment, but it is just one example of a number of games they've put out
fizzle
5/25/09 6:34:18PM
Totally, I'd like to see the next UFC game in the hands of EA Sports Canada, the guys behind the Fight Night franchise. I like this game so far, but it has many shortcomings in lack of really differentiated custom model options, I for one wanted to be able to give my fighter an afro and be able to make him ridiculously out of shape so it's amusing to see him wreck someone. I feel they really fell short in this department. Solid game all in all and I can understand why they didn't put it in.
shevtheman
5/25/09 7:00:42PM

Posted by fizzle

Totally, I'd like to see the next UFC game in the hands of EA Sports Canada, the guys behind the Fight Night franchise. I like this game so far, but it has many shortcomings in lack of really differentiated custom model options, I for one wanted to be able to give my fighter an afro and be able to make him ridiculously out of shape so it's amusing to see him wreck someone. I feel they really fell short in this department. Solid game all in all and I can understand why they didn't put it in.

I hate it that a lot of the fighters are the same in terms of ability e.g. a kickboxer will through a superman punch just like GSP
Anyhow, i think this is bollocks (bullshit in brit terminology). They dropped a lot of good fighters off the game and im sure they could've fixed a small problem with hair if they wanted to.
Bloodhound
5/25/09 7:16:46PM
i love the game dont get me wrong but i dont get how Guida's hair was a problem and why they coudnt make anyone south paw.
Kpro
5/25/09 7:19:15PM
I'm surprised there's this many complaints with it being one of the best playing, most in-depth, "first" entries into a sports franchise.

We all know the next will have the extra players we want, much more in-depth create a fighter mode, and many more options in career mode.

Expectations were too high for some, if you think this is anything short of an excellent first attempt.
grappler0000
5/25/09 7:22:47PM

Posted by shevtheman

Posted by fizzle

I hate it that a lot of the fighters are the same in terms of ability e.g. a kickboxer will through a superman punch just like GSP
Anyhow, i think this is bollocks (bullshit in brit terminology). They dropped a lot of good fighters off the game and im sure they could've fixed a small problem with hair if they wanted to.

Although the hair issue seems so minute, I guarantee that it was one of those hurdles that wasn't worth attacking this time around. It's something like that that becomes a programmers nightmare. There are so many new things that they rolled all into one game that they need to pick and choose their battles...either that or we wait another year. I'm sure the next one will have more options for the create-a-fighter.
RNC
5/25/09 8:08:48PM
If the hair was that big of an issue, instead of having Guida cut his hair in real life they should've just found some creative way around it. Maybe possibly corn rows, ala Urijah faber. I'm sure they could've came up with something.
mrsmiley
5/25/09 8:23:11PM

Posted by Bloodhound

i love the game dont get me wrong but i dont get how Guida's hair was a problem and why they coudnt make anyone south paw.

I really don't know why his hair would be a major problem.
Games like Soul Calibur intergrate long hair in their game engines rather well.

I herd the trouble with southpaws came with the collision detection,and at the moment it was too hard to work the bugs out without deylaying the game longer.

I say wait for the next game and they'll have those problems fixed though.
Jesse_Canadian_MMA
5/25/09 8:30:15PM
yeah I heard that his hair had something to do with the collision detection, my thought is couldnt they create him bald get the detection down and then had the hair or tie it back ??? I dont know to me its soooooooo bizarre, with what they do with games and he cant have hair is laughable at best
Kpro
5/25/09 8:44:09PM
It was clipping issues,, so his hair would've looked like it came from a ps1 game.

It wasn't anything to do with collision detection.

The choices were
A) Delay the game weeks to add Clay Guida's hair.
B) Don't have him in the game.
C) Give him a regular hair cut to keep him in the game.

Any of the 3 were going to have thousands of gamers mad. It was a no-win situation.

I would've preferred option C, but I guess they figured B was best to keep the accurate fighter look integrity of the game after he rightfully decided not to cut it to be in the game.
TNPanther78
5/25/09 9:25:11PM
Well thats terrible, just terrible!
gabe531
5/25/09 9:36:47PM
This game was bashed for so long for all the delays, now with huggy bear guida not in it its like its the end of the world. there will be more UFC games and it will continue to get better, but this 1st release is pretty damn amazing and not sure why all the fuss. i dont think the UFC could win with some people since they were expecting a game that couldnt be improved ever on the 1st try.
Jesse_Canadian_MMA
5/25/09 9:48:38PM
the game is definitely awesome, 5 stars, two thumbs up and all that just funny with all the technology they couldnt figure that out haha

side note I wonder as time goes on will there be downloadble characters and how often???
MMA-San
5/25/09 9:49:14PM
In all honesty THQ is the best company for this game. They do the Smackdown franchise which is very good...and will always keep them in business.

Also, they couldn't put Clay Guida's hair in a pony tail?

Whats their excuse for no Matt Hamill? He couldn't here the phone ring when they called him to come in for scanning?
NaziZombie
5/25/09 10:00:30PM
The game is a masterpiece, Online battle are so simmilar to the real thing, I am addicted 39-30. Unless people quit just before they lose!!

Anyways, I would rather no Clay G, Than see his hair dissapear into his shoulder every 2 secs! Into the oppenent every clinch, so on.

The biggest problem with this game is the no south paw stance, And even that doesnt bother me... Its ment to be fixed by the next game anyways...
Wolfenstein
5/25/09 10:26:39PM
It just seems a little hacked to me. I mean southpaw fighters should be no problem, that's been around since Virtua Fighter 2, as has flowing hair. It's a good game, don't get me wrong--just so many flaws that shouldn't be there.

I would love to see what EA sports could do with this game. THQ in my opinion, just doesn't have the talent to make the game all it can be. It's a good first effort, just needs some major tweaking.
chitownsfinest15
5/25/09 11:53:18PM
what loser gives a fighter an afro? and why is everyone whining about the damn game? did all of you buy the game?!? more than likely...you guys are the tools who complain about everything...its got a ton of fighters in the game...if you dont like it then sell it back to gamestop and stay off a message board complaining about somthing stupid...get on with your life....
Jackelope
5/26/09 12:05:57AM

Posted by chitownsfinest15

what loser gives a fighter an afro? and why is everyone whining about the damn game? did all of you buy the game?!? more than likely...you guys are the tools who complain about everything...its got a ton of fighters in the game...if you dont like it then sell it back to gamestop and stay off a message board complaining about somthing stupid...get on with your life....

To answer your question- no, I didn't buy the game. I don't like THQ games, and though I enjoyed the demo, I foresaw the gameplay becoming stale in only a short amount of time. I think it is laughable that a company as large as THQ with as much time as they took to develop this game couldn't implement a south paw stance, when stances are such an important dynamic of the sport of MMA. Also, I know several people who have worked or do work for THQ. The game company itself is ran poorly, and in general I find that I just don't have any desire to support their products.

This is a message board- a place to discuss things and opinions. People's opinions will fill the message boards whenever you come here. You're not always going to agree. No need to get too hostile about it all.
Aether
5/26/09 12:46:06AM
All of the people saying "they should be able to do this in this day and age, etc." are oversimplifying the situation. They can do it, but it takes time to do. Games that involve movement are built off of "engines" the engine determines the physics of the virtual world you're playing the game in, it tells objects how to behave and why.

Because of this, each game needs to have an engine designed for it. Some games can borrow engines (like a lot of games borrow the quake engine for first person shooters) saving them massive amounts of time. However if your game isn't HIGHLY similar to some other game with an existing engine an entirely new engine needs to be designed to manage the physics of the game. This is what makes things exceptionally complicated. It's not just a matter of plugging a "hair animation" onto a character or whatever and having it automatically governed by some universal set of rules. There is an entire background that needs to be set up where the virtual world is told whether the hair has physical substance, how it behaves, is hair animated as one large polygon with no physical structure or do we animate each hair and have physics act on them independently? When the hair comes into contact with another object does it pass through it or bounce off of it? etc. etc. etc.

(this is probably the main issue, imagine someone throws a punch, misses as clay's head moves downwards... What happens as the hair connects with the arm? Does it simply pass through as though the hair has no physical substance or do we actually create animations of the hair reacting to its surroundings?)

So if the engine itself needs to be designed and altered it's a significantly larger amount of work than you might guess or than it is really worth in this case. It's not that they can't do it, it's just that they want to release something to get people interested for now instead of waiting however many months to reprogram the engine and create the animations for something so small. It's not just as simple as saying "put hair here" and having it conform to a set of predefined rules. Those rules need to be created beforehand and integrated into the existing framework of the virtual world before any of that can happen.
SpiderSilva
5/26/09 11:23:30AM
I thought the main focus with the new game was fighting on the ground bjj/wrestling/judo so just that part of the game is amazing once you figure it out