Chute Boxe striking prowess... a thing in the past?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Chute Boxe striking prowess... a thing in the past?
Stickan
9/23/07 4:31:00PM
To me it seems like the striking level in MMA is getting higher and higher rapidly but to me it just doesn't feel like the chute boxe guys are able to keep up with the evolvement pace.
To me it seems like the traditional western boxing that's being implemented to an already great all-around MMA fighter is the best formula nowadays. American fighters especially (esp. at Extreme Couture and AKA) are starting to look tighter and tighter in the stand-up with good transitions to kicking and grappling.

Most Brazilians (Thiago Silva, W. Silva, Shogun, Ninja etc.) are lunging in with looping hooks and have been successful with that tactic in the past due to their aggressiveness but now when fighters are getting more confident in the stand-up, the chute-boxe guys now need to resort either to the clinch or the takedown.
I see a lot of striking evolvement on fighters training in american camps but Chute Boxe still keeps lunging in with their reckless punches with limited success.

There are brazilians that seems to have thought about this. Both the Nogs and obviously A.Silva have worked on their boxing extensively and look great nowadays but the Chute Boxe guys still look the same.

I don't know.. Is anybody else seeing this as well?
cmill21
9/23/07 4:41:27PM
I'm not concerned with their striking, I'm more concerned with their conditioning. They're still very dynamic and wild, most have an incredible clinch, but when your to tired you lose the aggressiveness, and it's harder to clinch.
juanez13
9/23/07 4:47:29PM
i dont know why you are thinking this, shogun has showed great ground game in the past against the likes of kevin randleman, alistair overeem, arona, and wandy is a BJJ black belt too, and if you watch his fight with rampage or other fight he is very active on the ground both top and bottom position and always looking for subs........tavares is great on the ground too.....i think if they train really hard for their fight and not underestimate, they will do great...
Stickan
9/23/07 5:20:20PM

Posted by juanez13

i dont know why you are thinking this, shogun has showed great ground game in the past against the likes of kevin randleman, alistair overeem, arona, and wandy is a BJJ black belt too, and if you watch his fight with rampage or other fight he is very active on the ground both top and bottom position and always looking for subs........tavares is great on the ground too.....i think if they train really hard for their fight and not underestimate, they will do great...

Yeah that's there ground game but I'm talking about their STRIKING. I think Shoguns ground game is better than his striking game (not counting the clinch). Their boxing isn't evolving like other fighters.
Lord_Lenny
9/23/07 5:29:06PM
i have noticed the same thing lately, it does seem like they are getting outstruck, it could be that this is a bad string of fights for chute boxe, but 0-4 for wandy/ninja/shogun in fights where they are beat standing doesnt look good for them
gamez0932
9/24/07 10:58:53AM
I dont think the chute boxe guys are dropping off, i just think the rules in ufc hurt there game alot... no knees to the ground. no soccer kicks. no jumping over the guard, face stomping and landing in mount....if you look at most pride fighters coming to the ufc, there first fights haven't been all that impressive (except anderson silvas), i just think there first fights they have the octagon jitters...but you cant say that shogun lost to a nobody, forest has alot of heart and the deeper he goes into a fight the better he gets, i knew that if shogun didnt finish him early, forest had a chance to win.....it'll be interesting to see how wandy does.
TOMMYAYO05
9/24/07 4:27:51PM
Dropping off!!!what about the middle weight champ???
fullerene
9/24/07 4:35:44PM
My hope is that "aggressive" striking and "MMA striking"--as in sloppy, looping punches thrown with full force over and over again--are a thing of the past. I know that grappling creates nuances in how you can plant your feet and which combinations work well, but I still saw plenty of holes in the games of Chuck/Shogun/Wandy/Sylvia, etc--head movement and straight counterpunches down the middle were the antidote for their striking prowess.

Still an impressive group, though. Chutebox had great conditioning and they were more than capable of handling themselves against grapplers (I still think Wandy's triangle on Yoshida and Shogun's omoplata on Arona were near perfect--just against two of the toughest guys to sub in the game)...but it's time to reevaluate their training methodology. IMO, they need western boxing training, plain and simple.
tlangley
9/24/07 5:59:40PM
not if your fighting Rampage, lol. he has problems with the clinch. but for real i agree