Chucks next fight should be either Houston or Anderson

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Chucks next fight should be either Houston or Anderson
bzwez
10/26/08 6:43:27PM
Both of these provide a lot for each fighter:

Chuck makes a huge statement with win over Anderson and erases memory of Rashads ko, and Houston will give him exactly what he wants in an aggressive stand up to counter on

Houston gets another shot at staying in the UFC, provides him with more time to train other factions of the game, and a win over Chuck says a lot still

Anderson makes a splash into the LHW division and gets even closer to a LHW title shot
Ordep
10/26/08 7:06:29PM
A win over Chuck won't say much about Houston, he needs ground-game to stay in the UFC, period. What will be the point if he can beat Liddell but would lose to anyone else who put him on the ground.

For Liddell: I think they'll give him Vera, that is what will make more sense IMO. Recognized, coming of a loss and can make for a KO from Liddell, if he wins a rematch with Jardine should be next.

For the Silva comment, matching Liddell against top competition now is a risk to the organization to lose their all-time poster boy. Chuck have shown to be on a downslope, so Joe Silva should be careful matching him. They should give him two relatively easy fights first to gain momentum again then put him against some top name to make some good gate and PPV $$$$ (the problem is that he's getting old so this may not be an option). About his recent failures, I think it's because of The Pit. He learned everything that John H. has to teach him, by staying there he's just keeping himself at the same level while the new breed of fighters are constantly improving. He needs to look for ways to improve either by moving to a new camp or bringing in different people, otherwise I think he'll keep losing.
JackHammerXXX
10/26/08 7:15:58PM
Honestly, by giving Chuck Houston Alexander, they are feeding him a win, spoon fed victory because I don't see Houston lasting with a guy like Liddell, he may stick around but, no shot. Even in the day of upset that we are in, I don't see it. Which then proposes the point that "Can Chuck fight top level guys, and still win?" Rashad was the more explosive, young and quick, type fighter. So was Rampage. Jardine outsmarted Liddell. Wanderlei is/was the perfect fighter for Liddell, because he banged and was the aggressor, even when he was hurt. Well, then that'd be the same with Houston. A brawler type, who engages but to me, would get jabbed and crossed, and if he stood after, would get chopped down by the 'looping' haymakers that Chucky throws. And when Liddell won, what would that tell us besides the fact that he beat a guy who lost three in a row, and was stylistically made for a comeback win. Overall don't like it.
Now, Silva...That would be ideal. If Chuck wins, he is making a statement that would stand until the end of time. Can you imagine if he beat Anderson? would you say 'oh, Silva is a 185'er, so what, he should've won, he is bigger blah blah" in the case of the Spider, I don't know how much the weight plays into it, the guy is p4p the best, so that goes out the window. But if Chuck did win, I don't want that jolting back into title contention, he needs to prove that he deserves to be fighting the top guys. Has he, well h#$$ yeah, but in recent memory, he only beat Wandy in a war, a Tito "Deer in the headlights when I'm fighting Liddell" Ortiz for a second, rerun if you will, and before that it was Sobral who gave everybody a demonstration of how not to fight Chuck, again. Horn, I mean come on.
The guy needs to eye the big fights, and as a fan, not a LHW title fight. Now, HW?
bzwez
10/26/08 7:19:09PM

Posted by Ordep

A win over Chuck won't say much about Houston, he needs ground-game to stay in the UFC, period. What will be the point if he can beat Liddell but would lose to anyone else who put him on the ground.

For Liddell: I think they'll give him Vera, that is what will make more sense IMO. Recognized, coming of a loss and can make for a KO from Liddell, if he wins a rematch with Jardine should be next.

For the Silva comment, matching Liddell against top competition now is a risk to the organization to lose their all-time poster boy. Chuck have shown to be on a downslope, so Joe Silva should be careful matching him. They should give him two relatively easy fights first to gain momentum again then put him against some top name to make some good gate and PPV $$$$ (the problem is that he's getting old so this may not be an option). About his recent failures, I think it's because of The Pit. He learned everything that John H. has to teach him, by staying there he's just keeping himself at the same level while the new breed of fighters are constantly improving. He needs to look for ways to improve either by moving to a new camp or bringing in different people, otherwise I think he'll keep losing.

A win over Chuck for Houston gives him time to train more while staying with the UFC, if they challenge him now with a ground player, he will lose

I agree about Vera in terms of getting a rematch with Jardine, but I think Chuck needs to look for superfights rather than going after the belt

Anderson is becoming the new posterboy, they are calling HIM the best now.
Giving Liddell two more fights? just to get a big PPV? Why when he can still give you big PPV now through superfights??!!
Agree about The Pit, and I'm sure he goes to other camps, don't think we'll see him jumping camps though

bzwez
10/26/08 7:30:00PM

Posted by JackHammerXXX

Honestly, by giving Chuck Houston Alexander, they are feeding him a win, spoon fed victory because I don't see Houston lasting with a guy like Liddell, he may stick around but, no shot. Even in the day of upset that we are in, I don't see it. Which then proposes the point that "Can Chuck fight top level guys, and still win?" Rashad was the more explosive, young and quick, type fighter. So was Rampage. Jardine outsmarted Liddell. Wanderlei is/was the perfect fighter for Liddell, because he banged and was the aggressor, even when he was hurt. Well, then that'd be the same with Houston. A brawler type, who engages but to me, would get jabbed and crossed, and if he stood after, would get chopped down by the 'looping' haymakers that Chucky throws. And when Liddell won, what would that tell us besides the fact that he beat a guy who lost three in a row, and was stylistically made for a comeback win. Overall don't like it.
Now, Silva...That would be ideal. If Chuck wins, he is making a statement that would stand until the end of time. Can you imagine if he beat Anderson? would you say 'oh, Silva is a 185'er, so what, he should've won, he is bigger blah blah" in the case of the Spider, I don't know how much the weight plays into it, the guy is p4p the best, so that goes out the window. But if Chuck did win, I don't want that jolting back into title contention, he needs to prove that he deserves to be fighting the top guys. Has he, well h#$$ yeah, but in recent memory, he only beat Wandy in a war, a Tito "Deer in the headlights when I'm fighting Liddell" Ortiz for a second, rerun if you will, and before that it was Sobral who gave everybody a demonstration of how not to fight Chuck, again. Horn, I mean come on.
The guy needs to eye the big fights, and as a fan, not a LHW title fight. Now, HW?

Unfortunately I think Chuck is in his last days as a fighter, I completely agree about the superfights, but I also think a fight between him and Houston would be guaranteed excitement, and most probably a KO (which he hasnt had in almost 2 years) for Chuck
I don't think title contention is available to Chuck, 3 of the top 5 have beaten him and 2 have knocked him out!
haggiswashere
10/26/08 7:48:44PM
houston no i don't think so. silva, bad idea. Silva is a huge draw of payperviews and so is chuck. chuck would lose to silva. i love chuck but it is true. chuck would probably retire and silva is going to soon. you would kill a star to make temp money. i hope they don't insult chuck by giving him houston. give him a so so sized name so he can make some sort of a comeback but don't destroy his image by putting him against a great fighter in his prime.
dannyfrank
10/26/08 7:52:31PM

Posted by haggiswashere

houston no i don't think so. silva, bad idea. Silva is a huge draw of payperviews and so is chuck. chuck would lose to silva. i love chuck but it is true. chuck would probably retire and silva is going to soon. you would kill a star to make temp money. i hope they don't insult chuck by giving him houston. give him a so so sized name so he can make some sort of a comeback but don't destroy his image by putting him against a great fighter in his prime.

i was thinking pretty much the same thing
bls1919
10/26/08 8:00:41PM
I dont think that Chuck wil fight either of these guys. Joe Silva should put Chuck " The Iceman" Liddell vs Luiz "Bahna" Cane on the top of his to do list. Would be such a great fight. I think Bahna would take Chuck into deep water late and TKO him. Cane is fast becoming my favorite fighter right behind the Speder that is.
mrsmiley
10/26/08 8:01:16PM
Their's only one fight in my opinion that makes sense for Liddell and that's
Sokoudjo.I think that would prove to us just were both of those guys stand.
mrsmiley
10/26/08 8:04:08PM

Posted by haggiswashere

I agree,but isn't that what they tried to do with Jardine and Rashad both?
bzwez
10/26/08 8:11:48PM

Posted by mrsmiley

Posted by haggiswashere

Exactly, and a fight Soko would tell us nothing( chuck is still the same fighter and does not look to be changing and Soko is just an inexperienced fighter who caught two top ten over a year ago and not much since) but Cane could be good though
tdietel01
10/27/08 9:54:35AM
There is no way chuck deserves to fight Silva. I think Chuck needs to retire. If he needs to stayi say give him james irvin. he will stand with chuck and will prob knock him out.. It is about time to say out with the oldand in with the new. and if irvin beats him thanhe needs to retire.
mrsmiley
10/27/08 4:14:47PM

Posted by bzwez

Posted by mrsmiley

Posted by haggiswashere

Exactly, and a fight Soko would tell us nothing( chuck is still the same fighter and does not look to be changing and Soko is just an inexperienced fighter who caught two top ten over a year ago and not much since) but Cane could be good though

I think Cane would be good,but I just see Soko being a more competitive fight for both of them.
cowcatcher
10/27/08 5:38:50PM
i think alexander should be in there with soko next and chuck should get anderson. alexander and soko is a matchup that shouldnt leave the feet and should end in a ko and the average fans eat that kind of a fight up, plus both guys prefer that kind of fight so it just makes sense to me. chuck and anderson will probably end up fighting as a main event on a card without a title fight on it, and im fine with that because its a chance for the ufc to do big ppv numbers and frankly its a fight id like to see. granted i think chuck would be in big trouble in there with silva, but thats definitely a dream matchup for many many people(myself included) even if its not the same chuck from just a couple of years ago. if these guys retired and never fought each other it would be disappointing when we look back on things sometime down the road.