Chuck says YES to CC and Fedor but NO to Silva

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Chuck says YES to CC and Fedor but NO to Silva
« Previous Page | Next Page »
zephead
3/12/07 5:06:52PM

Posted by tomp6581

to tell you the truth Fedor has fought no good strikers like chuck besides Hunt and Cro Cop and they are both pure kickboxers

BESIDES Cro Cop.....who is a better, more devastating striker than Chuck!!
The more relevant question is who was Chuck fought who is anywhere near as good as Fedor? Answer: Nobody.
Even look at the fights whilst he has been champ......Ortiz x2, Couture x2, Horn, White and Babalu x2..........none of these fighters are anywhere near as good as Fedor so I don’t see why (based on his fights) you see him with the best chance of beating Fedor.

Let me just clarify, I like Chuck Liddell and I don’t think Fedor is unbeatable. But IMO Chuck loses to Fedor 95 times out of 100. But whatever, it's all about opinions.

So, you're saying he has a chance?
mkiv9secsupra
3/12/07 6:30:51PM
obviously neither of the two have fought a fighter of the others caliber. we weill just have to wait and see within the next 3 or so years to see if it ever happens
Trapt1nw0nder
3/12/07 7:13:22PM

Posted by Junior24

I blv tomp6581 said it best about Chuck's track record. Chuck is an old school ISKA/American Kickboxer not a striker. Those are his roots. Yes he has an hell of a right hand, definately no debate their. CC is a striker, Anderson Silva is a striker, Cung Le, Mick Swick, Bisping, guys like those are strikers. They use more than one thing to hurt their opponent. The leg kick Chuck used to beat Babalu doesnt count. Anywho, Fedoor beat the best "striker" in the world. Chuck is no where in the same class as CC. When Fedor gets somone to the ground, he doesnt waist time. He absolutely malls people. Fedor's doesnt have an ego. So he is not going and try to make his fight look pretty and beat someone at their own game. He is going to win indecively! If Fedor were to fight Chuck at whatever weightclass, I would seriously be scared for Chuck to be able to defend himself. Fedor fights Lindland here shortly, whom everybody thinks is the best middleweight in the world, and I wouldnt be surprised if he gets seriously hurt in this fight. Fedor and CC are in a different class of MMA.

sure Fedor beat Crocop...but it doesnt mean he can beat Liddell...

there is 1 thing Crocop dont have as much as Chuck and that is Heart(or balls..balls too).....Crocop is more of a technical striker trying to look good in the ring and always keeps 100% composed,as where Chuck he is not affraid to trade blows with you toe to toe,in fact thats what he wants.Crocop kept retreating the whole fight..and the only weapon he has while retreating was a Jab,as where Chuck is a great powerful striker moving backwards...He's not gonna throw a Jab,he's gonna take a couple steps back and unleash his lethal uppercut!

Chuck has KO power while moving while Crocop must have his feet set or moving forward(which Fedor didnt let him do the whole fight)

Chuck is King of the Cage
Junior24
3/12/07 7:32:09PM

Posted by Trapt1nw0nder

Posted by Junior24

I blv tomp6581 said it best about Chuck's track record. Chuck is an old school ISKA/American Kickboxer not a striker. Those are his roots. Yes he has an hell of a right hand, definately no debate their. CC is a striker, Anderson Silva is a striker, Cung Le, Mick Swick, Bisping, guys like those are strikers. They use more than one thing to hurt their opponent. The leg kick Chuck used to beat Babalu doesnt count. Anywho, Fedoor beat the best "striker" in the world. Chuck is no where in the same class as CC. When Fedor gets somone to the ground, he doesnt waist time. He absolutely malls people. Fedor's doesnt have an ego. So he is not going and try to make his fight look pretty and beat someone at their own game. He is going to win indecively! If Fedor were to fight Chuck at whatever weightclass, I would seriously be scared for Chuck to be able to defend himself. Fedor fights Lindland here shortly, whom everybody thinks is the best middleweight in the world, and I wouldnt be surprised if he gets seriously hurt in this fight. Fedor and CC are in a different class of MMA.

there is 1 thing Crocop dont have as much as Chuck and that is Heart(or balls..balls too).....Crocop is more of a technical striker trying to look good in the ring and always keeps 100% composed,as where Chuck he is not affraid to trade blows with you toe to toe,in fact thats what he wants.Crocop kept retreating the whole fight..and the only weapon he has while retreating was a Jab,as where Chuck is a great powerful striker moving backwards...He's not gonna throw a Jab,he's gonna take a couple steps back and unleash his lethal uppercut!

Chuck has KO power while moving while Crocop must have his feet set or moving forward(which Fedor didnt let him do the whole fight)

Uhm...for someone to get in the ring w/Fedor takes balls. For someone to take Fedor to the limit takes balls. As for CC not having heart, well I dont know the personal reasons why each fighter fights for but Im sure both are legitimate reasons. I believe CC's showed heart when he faught Fedor. Chuck is a counter-puncher and everyone knows that. He doesnt push the attach until he "hurts" his opponent. CC's has a different game plan and so does every other MMA fighter. Its just that Fedor has pretty good habit of not letting his opponents game plan work. BTW, you cant move backwards when your on your back. Also, even though Chuck is moving backwards when he counter punches, he still plants and shifts his hips just like CC and every other "Striker".

Its not a jab when CC counter punches, its a straight, just like Chuck has, a lethal right overhand straight, not an uppercut...
Trapt1nw0nder
3/12/07 8:04:36PM

Posted by Junior24

Posted by Trapt1nw0nder

Posted by Junior24

Uhm...for someone to get in the ring w/Fedor takes balls. For someone to take Fedor to the limit takes balls. As for CC not having heart, well I dont know the personal reasons why each fighter fights for but Im sure both are legitimate reasons. I believe CC's showed heart when he faught Fedor. Chuck is a counter-puncher and everyone knows that. He doesnt push the attach until he "hurts" his opponent. CC's has a different game plan and so does every other MMA fighter. Its just that Fedor has pretty good habit of not letting his opponents game plan work. BTW, you cant move backwards when your on your back. Also, even though Chuck is moving backwards when he counter punches, he still plants and shifts his hips just like CC and every other "Striker".

Its not a jab when CC counter punches, its a straight, just like Chuck has, a lethal right overhand straight, not an uppercut...

i said Chuck has more balls...i DIDN'T say Crocop has NO balls...

"Chuck is a counter-puncher and everyone knows that. He doesnt push the attach until he "hurts" his opponent."

and thats exactly how he will beat him...

"BTW, you cant move backwards when your on your back."

the only person who will be on their back will be Fedor with Big John waving it off!

and CroCop is a southpaw...so his right is pretty much a Jab
tomp6581
3/13/07 6:17:15AM
Lets just agree to disagree.........

The fight will never happen.......

You will never change your mind....

I will never change mine.......

Even if deep down you know Fedor would win easily....

End of.

mkiv9secsupra
3/13/07 3:29:35PM
fedor sets his takedowns up with strikes. ortiz, couture, babalu all do this. granted fedor is on a higher level than these guys, chuck still handled them with extreme ease. fedor fans seem to rely on not confidence in there guy but a lack of it in Liddell.
Junior24
3/13/07 3:54:45PM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

fedor sets his takedowns up with strikes. ortiz, couture, babalu all do this. granted fedor is on a higher level than these guys, chuck still handled them with extreme ease. fedor fans seem to rely on not confidence in there guy but a lack of it in Liddell.

If Chuck and Fedor were to fight each other for the next 10 years w/a 3-4 month break in between each fight, Chuck would never win. You could change the weightclass, ring type, altitude, the stars alignment, whatever stipulation, Chuck would never beat Fedor.
mkiv9secsupra
3/13/07 5:07:54PM

Posted by Junior24

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

If Chuck and Fedor were to fight each other for the next 10 years w/a 3-4 month break in between each fight, Chuck would never win. You could change the weightclass, ring type, altitude, the stars alignment, whatever stipulation, Chuck would never beat Fedor.

HAHA fedor fans are soo cocky...almost as bad as wandy worshippers
Svabbi
3/13/07 6:16:19PM
I think stylistically Chuck has a better chance against Fedor than Cro Cop. Cro Cop would humiliate Chuck on the feet.
Junior24
3/13/07 7:31:19PM
I am still flabbergasted that Chuck thinks he is in the same league as CC and Fedor. I dont see his rationality. Fedor is not even my favorite, but I admit he is the greatest fighter on the planet right now, regardless of weight class. Regardless this fight will never happend. Chuck needs to worry about Rampage, Shogun, Hollywood, and Bisping before Fedor and CC. I can understand his point about Wandy, but I also think he came back too early after CC fight.
Trapt1nw0nder
3/13/07 10:31:43PM

Posted by Junior24

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

whatever troll....go back to sherdog
mkiv9secsupra
3/13/07 11:39:32PM

Posted by Junior24

I am still flabbergasted that Chuck thinks he is in the same league as CC and Fedor. I dont see his rationality. Fedor is not even my favorite, but I admit he is the greatest fighter on the planet right now, regardless of weight class. Regardless this fight will never happend. Chuck needs to worry about Rampage, Shogun, Hollywood, and Bisping before Fedor and CC. I can understand his point about Wandy, but I also think he came back too early after CC fight.

so basically what youre saying is: Chuck is the #1 LHW in the world for no reason at all. Top of the game takedown defense, pinpoint accuracy, and knockout power from any angle are weak advantages? im failing to see your rationality.
mkiv9secsupra
3/13/07 11:41:39PM
let me ask this... what weaknesses does chuck have?
Wannabe78
3/13/07 11:41:54PM

Posted by Trapt1nw0nder

I do agree with chuck...he does have the right style to beat Fedor

Give me a break...That's what they said about Cro-Cop.
Trapt1nw0nder
3/14/07 12:15:25AM

Posted by Wannabe78

Posted by Trapt1nw0nder

I do agree with chuck...he does have the right style to beat Fedor

Give me a break...That's what they said about Cro-Cop.

*Hands Wannabe78 a Kit-Kat*

i already stated the differences between Liddell and Crocop...im not gonna restate anything again

and i never said anything about Crocop....they did maybe....Crocop is just a kickboxer...maybe today Crocop has a better shot since he is learning more on the ground,but i dont think he has learned enough

Chuck is a MMA fighter with a fighters mentality of never say die(like Silva but with actual skills)
Junior24
3/14/07 1:35:09AM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Well since Im a "troll" I dont know if I will be able to intelligently answer this question, but I will give it a try...

1. Chuck is the #1 LHW in UFC, not the world.
2. Chuck has a very good take-down defense angainst LHW's. CC has an phenominal take-down defense. Chuck's only real test's were Randy and Tito, Babalu is C-B fighter, he doesnt count as a repidable take-down artist.
3. Chuck is a "Counter-Puncher". He will always have a puncher's chance in every fight because of his right hand, yes you are correct. That is my problem, thats his game plan and thats it. "I'll just him w/my right hand and Ill go from their." Im not saying he's ever said that but thats his mantality.
4. If you saw the fight against Tiger, he was getting worked, of course he counter punched w/his right hand. A real striker, i.e. CC, will work him. Fedor may not have the prettiest punches, but he lands them and its hits like jack hammer and when Fedor got Chuck on the ground he wouldnt LNP like the majority of the GNP fighters in UFC. Plus Fedor knows how to submit people. He's like a Matt Hughes who punches and kicks like a mule.

In ending IMO Chuck has a great oppurtunity this year to prove that he is the "#1 LHW in the world". Rampage, Michael Bisping, Rashad Evans, Machida are some fighters in UFC that I believe are legitimate fighters for contention for his belt.

Chuck is a good strong fighter, but he certainly he is not the best LHW in the world considering the amount of great fighters in the weight class. I might be proven wrong this year, but I still think Chuck is not in the same class of fighters as CC and Fedor.
misfit138
3/14/07 1:43:38AM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

I'm a huge Fedor AND Chuck fan... However, it's my confidence in Fedor that makes me think that he would win if these two were to fight. I've read posts that say that Fedor is a wild puncher... if Chuck throws some of his amazing counterpunches, Fedor would be able to take it. Fedor has proven that his chin is hard enough to take a punch (or a kick). Not to mention, Fedor is much bigger than Chuck, so even if Chuck were to move up a weight class he would be able to use the size advantage to take Chuck to the ground. Even though Chuck has an awesome takedown defense, Fedor could use his size to his advantage.
Trapt1nw0nder
3/14/07 2:48:44AM

Posted by Junior24

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Well since Im a "troll" I dont know if I will be able to intelligently answer this question, but I will give it a try...

2. Chuck has a very good take-down defense angainst LHW's. CC has an phenominal take-down defense. Chuck's only real test's were Randy and Tito, Babalu is C-B fighter, he doesnt count as a repidable take-down artist.
3. Chuck is a "Counter-Puncher". He will always have a puncher's chance in every fight because of his right hand, yes you are correct. That is my problem, thats his game plan and thats it. "I'll just him w/my right hand and Ill go from their." Im not saying he's ever said that but thats his mantality.
4. If you saw the fight against Tiger, he was getting worked, of course he counter punched w/his right hand. A real striker, i.e. CC, will work him. Fedor may not have the prettiest punches, but he lands them and its hits like jack hammer and when Fedor got Chuck on the ground he wouldnt LNP like the majority of the GNP fighters in UFC. Plus Fedor knows how to submit people. He's like a Matt Hughes who punches and kicks like a mule.

In ending IMO Chuck has a great oppurtunity this year to prove that he is the "#1 LHW in the world". Rampage, Michael Bisping, Rashad Evans, Machida are some fighters in UFC that I believe are legitimate fighters for contention for his belt.

Chuck is a good strong fighter, but he certainly he is not the best LHW in the world considering the amount of great fighters in the weight class. I might be proven wrong this year, but I still think Chuck is not in the same class of fighters as CC and Fedor.

if Chuck is the best LHW in the UFC as you say...then who is #1 in your mind in the world?

Shogun?....who got dominated by as you say "B-C level fighter" Renato Sobral and choked out?

Silva?...who lost to a natural welterweight?

who?
Trapt1nw0nder
3/14/07 2:53:14AM

Posted by misfit138

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

I'm a huge Fedor AND Chuck fan... However, it's my confidence in Fedor that makes me think that he would win if these two were to fight. I've read posts that say that Fedor is a wild puncher... if Chuck throws some of his amazing counterpunches, Fedor would be able to take it. Fedor has proven that his chin is hard enough to take a punch (or a kick). Not to mention, Fedor is much bigger than Chuck, so even if Chuck were to move up a weight class he would be able to use the size advantage to take Chuck to the ground. Even though Chuck has an awesome takedown defense, Fedor could use his size to his advantage.

Chuck and Fedor are about the same size and weight...remember,Chuck cuts weight to make 205...Chucks Natural weight is about 220...Fedor 230..and Fedor dont cut weight..if anything he gains weight
Junior24
3/14/07 4:33:05AM

Posted by Trapt1nw0nder

Posted by Junior24

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

if Chuck is the best LHW in the UFC as you say...then who is #1 in your mind in the world?

Shogun?....who got dominated by as you say "B-C level fighter" Renato Sobral and choked out?

Silva?...who lost to a natural welterweight?

who?

You are correct I believe Babalu should drop down to middle or welterweight, however, Chuck got triangle choked by Jeremy Horn and pummeled by Randy and Rampage, and the last two are not by any means C-B fighters, I will give you that. In the last 2 1/2 yrs. I've seen Shogun fight, I would be willing to bet he is a completely different fighter than he was in 2003. Right now I believe that the following in order are the top 5:
1. Shogun
2. Dan Henderson
3. Chuck Liddell
4. Ricardo Arona/Rampage
5. Matt Lindland/Cung Le/Frank Shamrock

To be honest w/you any of these could go either way. It would be very difficult to choose the winner. However, of the top 4, Chuck has had the weakest oppenents, no fault of his own, but still the weakest. So, until he beats one of these gentlemen, I will not say he is the best LHW in the world. Hence my argument against him beating CC and Fedor.

Trapt1nw0nder
3/14/07 5:15:19AM
Rampage is the only fighter i see who has the style to beat chuck....better boxer,with a hell of a chin and brute strength
migo
3/14/07 5:16:18AM
lol @ Cung Le or Frank Shamrock being top 5 at 205.
Junior24
3/14/07 5:48:04AM

Posted by migo

lol @ Cung Le or Frank Shamrock being top 5 at 205.

Frank at LHW looks to be in tremendous shape. I cant comment too much on his DQ against Renzo 'cause I didnt get to see the fight, but Im sure if he got back into MMA fighting full time, I know he's "trying", he would be the one to beat. He has a tremendous ground game w/his pancrase and wrestling background, and the fact that he has worked and trained w/Cung Le it would make me to believe that his "striking" is up to par, hes always had the punching power, but not the skill. Cung Le just got into MMA, but w/his background he is going to be the CRO COP of LHW. I wouldnt be surprised if you see him fighting on a big card this year, either on UFC or Pride.

When you say laugh compare who is in the Top 10 LHW on this site. You have guys who have been doing MMA for a few years, (i.e. TUF graduates) Frank and Cung have been doing Vale Tudo, Pancrase, San Shou, Kickboxing, etc. their whole life and not just at an ameture level either.

I find it very difficult to swallow that Rashad Evans and Babalu are in the top 10 LHW's. Why isnt Bisping on their? He's udefeated also, w/more professional bouts. Or Ninja Rua? or Sakuraba? I even think Tito should be taken off of their.
migo
3/14/07 6:16:24AM
Cung has been doing San Shou against opponents who don't train San Shou. He has always been questioned because he's just having other people fight to his rules. He doesn't bring in top competition from Thailand, China or the Netherlands to fight him. He's not even a LHW. He's a MW.

Frank is also not even a LHW. You're speculating that he "would" be good if he "got back into training". He was getting taken down at will by Renzo, who doesn't make anyone's top 10 list at MW, let alone LHW. The guys at LHW who have better takedowns than Renzo make a fairly long list. Frank was at the top of the game when he retired, but since then everyone has caught up and passed him.
tomp6581
3/14/07 8:51:36AM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

My own personal opinion on Chuck is that I feel he has never fought TOP class opponents in his own weight class (never mind HW). Obviously this is not Chucks fault, but Arona, Little Nog, Shogun, Wanderlei and Henderson would all be tougher opponents than he has ever faced before.......I’m not saying he would definitely lose to them or anything.....I’m just saying that against TOP class opponents in his weight class he is relatively unproven.

Now, when people compare him to the Fedor (who is regarded the best HW and best Pound for pound fighter in the world).....I cant help but think people are being too passive about the fact that Fedor is a HW who has PROVEN himself to be the best HW in the world by defeating the other TOP class opponents in his division.......This is including the likes of Cro Cop who is a more devastating striker than chuck who has better take down defence AND a HW. Because of this I think Fedor would beat Chuck easily.

Hey, I respect other peoples opinions, and I really don’t want to come across as the sort of guy who thinks Fedor is unbeatable or would beat Chuck purely based on the fact that I like him – I try to stay rational and fair….and I think that any fair minded individual reading this post will see that I have a point.

ps. Whoever said Cro Cop is just a kick boxer is a fool.
Trapt1nw0nder
3/14/07 9:48:54AM

Posted by tomp6581

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

My own personal opinion on Chuck is that I feel he has never fought TOP class opponents in his own weight class (never mind HW). Obviously this is not Chucks fault, but Arona, Little Nog, Shogun, Wanderlei and Henderson would all be tougher opponents than he has ever faced before.......I’m not saying he would definitely lose to them or anything.....I’m just saying that against TOP class opponents in his weight class he is relatively unproven.

Now, when people compare him to the Fedor (who is regarded the best HW and best Pound for pound fighter in the world).....I cant help but think people are being too passive about the fact that Fedor is a HW who has PROVEN himself to be the best HW in the world by defeating the other TOP class opponents in his division.......This is including the likes of Cro Cop who is a more devastating striker than chuck who has better take down defence AND a HW. Because of this I think Fedor would beat Chuck easily.

Hey, I respect other peoples opinions, and I really don’t want to come across as the sort of guy who thinks Fedor is unbeatable or would beat Chuck purely based on the fact that I like him – I try to stay rational and fair….and I think that any fair minded individual reading this post will see that I have a point.

ps. Whoever said Cro Cop is just a kick boxer is a fool.

"Whoever said Cro Cop is just a kick boxer is a fool"...

you say it like if you didnt know it was me......and yess...when Fedor fought Crocop thats all he was...a pure kickboxer,and you should know this to be true
tomp6581
3/14/07 11:26:15AM
I genuinely didn’t know it was you who said it....even so...he wasn’t just a kickboxer at all...........He had had 20 (TWENTY!!) MMA fights before he fought Fedor.......so your saying....even though he started training with Fabricio Werdum in summer 04.....a year before he fought Fedor......he was still just a kickboxer.....it is only since his last 7 fights AFTER Fedor.....has he become the great MMA Fighter we see today........seriously mate. Get real.

He was just a kickboxer when he started out in 2001......since then, he evolved into a MMA fighter getting better and better.
Mayo
3/14/07 1:48:47PM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

I'm a huge Chuck fan but...

I want to see somebody get Chuck to the ground in the center of the ring... not against the cage where he can use his back against the cage to work himself up to his feet... I'm talking dead center of the ring... then let's see what Chuck can do... if he doesn't get "ground and pounded" for the rest of the round.

Again, I'm a fan of Chuck, but I think that would be his weakness.
Mv356
3/14/07 5:46:29PM
This website has so many Pride nuthuggers it's ridiculus
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4