chuck vs rampage

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » chuck vs rampage
xchickox
5/14/07 8:58:00AM
i think this is the hardest fight i have had to pick, i have changed my mind 5 times now, at first i picked chuck and wanted him to win, then kept changing it, but now i'm thinking chuck will win but i want rampage to win, just dont know how many more times i'm gonna change my mind

whats everyone else think?

who they want to win/who they think will win??
FrankDukes
5/14/07 11:26:08AM
Chuck by TKO. I think that Chuck has grown as a fighter and is still in his prime, whereas I think Rampage is the same fighter and will not be able to handle the big stage. He will have flashbacks of Wanderlei sending him into another world. I like both fighters, but i just see Quinton having a lot of problems with Chuck this time 'round.
GabeArizona
5/14/07 11:28:11AM
Rampage didn't look stellar in the Eastman fight so I'm going with Chuck. I still think Rampage needed one more fight to prepare for Chuck. Oh well.
AchillesHeel
5/14/07 11:59:16AM
I'd call Chuck the favorite in this fight, definitely.

However, I would say that Rampage presents a huge challenge in terms of their fighting styles. If you watch their first fight again, Liddell essentially used the same strategy he uses today (backpedaling, looking for the counter-punch), he just hadn't perfected it yet. It didn't work very well against Rampage. At all.

Liddell has looked impressive in his last few fights, while Rampage has not, that's true. Let me ask you this, though:

1. What might happen if Rampage catches Chuck in the same way that Babalu did?

2. What might happen if Rampage fights Chuck with the same strategy that Tito and Jeremy Horn used?

Rampage is - by far - the best striker Chuck has fought since... well... since Rampage.
poll77
5/14/07 2:04:26PM

Posted by xchickox

i think this is the hardest fight i have had to pick, i have changed my mind 5 times now, at first i picked chuck and wanted him to win, then kept changing it, but now i'm thinking chuck will win but i want rampage to win, just dont know how many more times i'm gonna change my mind

whats everyone else think?

who they want to win/who they think will win??

CHUCK...any wagers??? ill bet the bank
nubby
5/14/07 2:35:57PM
There have been several discussion on this topic. But I'll say this: Rampage has an iron chin. He has good boxing skills unlike any of Chuck's past 7 opponents. He has sick ground and pound. In my eyes, Rampage has Chuck beat everywhere this fight goes. Now people say he didn't look that great against Eastman, I don't agree. I think he looked just fine for his UFC debut. I'm already taking Rampage with a few bets and I say he will win it in either the 3rd or the 4th round by stoppage.
pv3Hpv3p
5/14/07 3:17:37PM

Posted by nubby

There have been several discussion on this topic. But I'll say this: Rampage has an iron chin. He has good boxing skills unlike any of Chuck's past 7 opponents. He has sick ground and pound. In my eyes, Rampage has Chuck beat everywhere this fight goes. Now people say he didn't look that great against Eastman, I don't agree. I think he looked just fine for his UFC debut. I'm already taking Rampage with a few bets and I say he will win it in either the 3rd or the 4th round by stoppage.

Well put, I agree
Ultimate_fighter
5/14/07 3:34:47PM
Rampage 2nd round KO
mkiv9secsupra
5/14/07 3:35:18PM
they both havet the tools to beat the other. Itll come down to who is the smarter fighter and there will be no way to predict or tell who is until the fight....

chuck round 2 stoppage
johny_rotten
5/14/07 4:50:21PM
There is one thing I see that can be the x-factor if Rampage can pull it off again. When Tito last faught Chuck Randy said it in the booth, and many fans agreed after the broadcast that Tito needed to work the take down from the clinch grecco style, and not shoot in for legs. This was the way both Rampage and Randy were able to keep Chuck down in their first fights with the champ. I think 4 years later Chuck showed he could still be vaurnable to this attack, and was Tito's biggest flaw. This style is Quinton's biggest asset in fights. If he can get inside a few times with out getting put to sleep I think this will be how he wins.
AchillesHeel
5/14/07 4:56:41PM

Posted by johny_rotten

There is one thing I see that can be the x-factor if Rampage can pull it off again. When Tito last faught Chuck Randy said it in the booth, and many fans agreed after the broadcast that Tito needed to work the take down from the clinch grecco style, and not shoot in for legs. This was the way both Rampage and Randy were able to keep Chuck down in their first fights with the champ. I think 4 years later Chuck showed he could still be vaurnable to this attack, and was Tito's biggest flaw. This style is Quinton's biggest asset in fights. If he can get inside a few times with out getting put to sleep I think this will be how he wins.

I agree. Rampage can win in the clinch, either with muay Thai or Greco. Chuck needs to stay away and launch his missiles.
Gladiator
5/14/07 10:02:55PM
this is probably the hardest pick ive made all season. i cant believe the odds on this fight theres no way rampage is the underdog by that much. rampage has already beaten liddell once and if he keeps coming forward like he did before he might take it, on the other hand chuck has improved a lot and is a great counter puncher not to mention he is already preparing for rampage to push the pace and be in his face. ill take liddell but i wont be surprised if jackson wins. only one thing im sure of about the outcome of this fight: if rampage wins then people will say that chuck is past his prime and needs to retire, and if chuck wins then people will say that its because rampage hasnt been the same since fighting wanderlei. either way the winning fighter is not going to get the credit he deserves.
Believe-in-judo81
5/14/07 11:40:16PM
What this fight boils Down to on paper is really Who can impose their will first and get the other guy to let them work their game, it's that much of a pick 'em bout.

Here's my breakdown:

Chuck Liddell- Pros: Vastly Improved Lateral movement and footwork since their first match, KO power in both hands,excellent shot defense,hasn't been stopped since his Loss to Jackson (carreer momentum/Confidence).
Cons: Questionable gas tank, less technical striker, size disadvantage, not nearly as strong as Rampage.
Keys to take the fight:1. Threaten the takedown, keep Quinton guessing and don't allow him to get to comfortable on the feet. 2.Use the improved footwork mentioned above to set up wierd angles for those big brutal punches to get in and do their work. 3. Constant pressure, don't let him breathe and always be looking to finish the fight, the longer this one goes the more it falls into Rampage's favor.

Quinton Jackson- Pros: Technical striking, good punch defense, Immensely strong, Great Training/ Gameplan, has the added confidence of Knowing he's beaten Chuck before, and convincingly. Cons: Has been much less impressive since the first bout, Defense in the clinch, seems to have lost some of his killer instinct.
Keys to take the fight: Rampage needs to use his boxing skills and footwork in conjunction with his size and obvious strength advantage to cut Chuck off and smother him, don't give him room to work and then set to picking him apart much like he did the first match.

Well that's how I see it, both theese guys have their work cut out for them and this should be a great fight. I want Rampage to take and I definitely think he can, but it's really to close to call. When it all boils down to it, I just want to see theese guys do their best and put on an amazing fight.
Fanboy 1988
5/15/07 8:32:49AM

Posted by Believe-in-judo81

Well that's how I see it, both theese guys have their work cut out for them and this should be a great fight. I want Rampage to take and I definitely think he can, but it's really to close to call. When it all boils down to it, I just want to see theese guys do their best and put on an amazing fight.

Same here, I'm looking forward to seeing how well both have improved since there last fight
Damien6663
5/16/07 5:13:29PM
IMO rampage is not the same fighter he was when they first fought. I think Chuch will pick his angles well and move around alot. He just stood there and slugged in the first fight. I think you will have a dead even fight going until chuck cracks rampage with a straight right in the second or 3rd and drops him. Should be a great fight, but i think chuck will show up game, rampage did not look wonderful against marvin.
AchillesHeel
6/5/07 10:30:47AM

Posted by AchillesHeel

1. What might happen if Rampage catches Chuck in the same way that Babalu did?

2. What might happen if Rampage fights Chuck with the same strategy that Tito and Jeremy Horn used?

I know it's late, but... damn, I'm good.

It's time for the dancing banana.

nubby
6/5/07 1:08:43PM
Anyone who actually knew both of these fighters well should have known this was going to be the outcome, and I don't mean a first round knock out, but I do mean that Rampage was destined to beat Liddell simply because he's better than Liddel on the ground and standing.