Chuck's mental state and Rashad's wrestling

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Chuck's mental state and Rashad's wrestling
jiujitsufreak74
9/2/08 8:42:13PM
the few people who think that Rashad is going to defeat Chuck on Saturday rationalize their point of view by saying that Rashad will be able to take advantage of Chuck's mental state and that Chuck is looking past Rashad. well, i just find this to be crazy. Chuck is fine, he had back to back losses and then he bounced back with a very impressive performance against Wandy. if defeating Wandy doesn't show that you are back, i don't know what can. Chuck has stated he is not overlooking Rashad and i would think he has learned his lesson after the Jardine fight. do you guys really believe he will make the same mistake against a guy form Jardine's camp? i don't think so. Chuck will be 100% ready to fight Rashad and i don't think pre-fight intangibles will effect this fight at all.

another argument people make for Rashad is that his wrestling ability will allow him to take Chuck down. well, that is just preposterous. Rashad isn't even that good of a wrestler. he had a very average wrestling career at Michigan State. i think he was somewhere around a .500 record, which is by no means insignificant but it doesn't mean you are a phenomenal wrestler either. Chuck has faced Randy Couture, an Olympic level wrestler and a D-I All-American who placed 2nd in the D-I Championships, Tito Ortiz, an accomplished submission wrestler who placed 3rd at the ADCC and a State Junior Champion in college, and Babalu, a Brazilian national wrestling champion. Chuck has been able to keep the fight on the feet against all of those fighters (excluding the first randy fight...the other 2 he was able to keep it standing). if Chuck was able to avoid the take down from those fighters, then how can you expect a .500 wrestler form Michigan State to take him down? i just don't get it.

No matter how you break this fight down, it is apparent that Chuck will win this fight...i don't understand how people see otherwise.
telnights
9/2/08 8:45:56PM
I totally agree... same time people like picking the under dog but I think this dogs chances are slim very very slim.
Bowen50
9/2/08 8:50:59PM
Rashad doesn't stand a chance. chuck round 2 KO
Aaronno9
9/2/08 9:17:56PM
I think alot of the people picking against chuck are picking against him becouse they dont like him, not becouse they rationally think he is going to loose.
dannyfrank
9/2/08 9:24:27PM
yeah, i honestly havent been able to figure out why people think he is gonna loose either
MFOTHER
9/2/08 9:24:52PM
if you really believe thats true, which is hard to do, you also hav to assume thats why he lost to jardine. im pretty sure he's not gonna do that twice
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
9/2/08 10:33:53PM
jj freak, you just love getting propped dont you

edit: gotta spread the love
jiujitsufreak74
9/2/08 10:52:00PM

Posted by AnDeRsonDaSiLvA

jj freak, you just love getting propped dont you

edit: gotta spread the love

yes, yes i do
RedCloud
9/2/08 11:03:17PM
That made so much sense.
He's a Legend for a reason. Rampage and Jardin are an exception to the rule.
(Forrest and Houston are an exception to thier rule ...etc;)
Cdellorso
9/2/08 11:48:24PM
1st tried to prop u JJfreak- but must spread the love-
so I propped andersodsilvadude instead-

Lets look at tito vs chuck- lets look at Tito VS Rashaaad-

I am a wrestling fan- I am a Michigan/michigan state fan ( I reside here in MI-

I dont think Rashaad will win- I do hope he fools me as my fight camp thinks he is SOOO boring they want him gone....
The_Ho_Bag
9/3/08 6:22:56AM
thank you nick =) thank you =)

honestly i dont think rashad is that really good? he hasnt fought any one next to tito who imo would of lost to tito if tito didnt hold the fence ohter then that, KOed salmon oh man but who hasnt?

the gihts going to stand on the feet and chuck wins Via KO 2nd round maybe even 1st

-Gotta spread the love- but your my boy so i prop u the moment i can =)
mkiv9secsupra
9/3/08 7:47:21AM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74
Chuck has faced Randy Couture, an Olympic level wrestler and a D-I All-American who placed 2nd in the D-I Championships, Tito Ortiz, an accomplished submission wrestler who placed 3rd at the ADCC and a State Junior Champion in college, and Babalu, a Brazilian national wrestling champion.

dont forget Randleman (2x collegiate champion and 2x the wrestler Evans is) and Monson(ADCC Champion)....

jomatty
9/3/08 9:13:23AM
rashad is a tailor made opponent for chuck liddel. thats why he is in there fighting. it bolsters chuck up for his next big ppv headling fight, hopefully in a more intrigiung matchup. the ufc wants chuck in another title/marquee matchup and rashad is the sort of guy to get him there. he is a very legitimate lhw he is just a very good matchup if you are chuck liddel. the ufc wants chuck to win and this fight is a perfect way for him to do so. the guy who most closely resembles rashad is tito and we have all seen what happens when chuck fights him...actually with very similar styles tito got the better of rashad so it is hard to see how rashad would get past chuck. if rashad manages to last two rounds he should consider it a moral victory and if he somehow forces it to decision then he should be applauded.

my dark horse predicition for this fight is that chuck takes rashad down...
NatedawgThaM
9/3/08 2:16:47PM
I definitely think Chuck is in a good mental state for this fight. I would doubt it if he never got that injury and fought Rashad back at 85. But he hasn't fought in awhile and he's hungry for a title shot so I think he knows he's got to be impressive against Rashad so nobody thinks age is taking a toll on him. I personally have him winning a decision but if he finished Rashad I think he would come off a lot more of a threat when he fights Forrest next since he hasn't finished anybody in awhile and Forrest has a good gameplan everytime and can squeeze a decision out on Chuck, Chuck just needs to finish Rashad so nobody doubts his ability to KO Forrest.

Rashad's wrestling I don't even think is a factor. Randy/Tito/Randleman are definitely a lot better wrestlers then Rashad and Chuck tooled them pretty bad except the 1st time with Randy. Rashad will only win this fight if he uses accurate kickboxing like Jardine. He has a lot better chance to beat Chuck then Jardine did stylistically. He's faster then Jardine and not as easy to hit. Chuck proven leg kicks have been a weakness for him so Rashad should follow Jardines plan and kick him all night but throw those kicks at the end of stick in move 1,2 combo's since Rashad's faster then Chuck IMO and his boxing could be a good factor.

Kastro
9/4/08 4:22:00PM

the few people who think that Rashad is going to defeat Chuck on Saturday rationalize their point of view by saying that Rashad will be able to take advantage of Chuck's mental state and that Chuck is looking past Rashad. well, i just find this to be crazy. Chuck is fine, he had back to back losses and then he bounced back with a very impressive performance against Wandy. if defeating Wandy doesn't show that you are back, i don't know what can. Chuck has stated he is not overlooking Rashad and i would think he has learned his lesson after the Jardine fight. do you guys really believe he will make the same mistake against a guy form Jardine's camp? i don't think so. Chuck will be 100% ready to fight Rashad and i don't think pre-fight intangibles will effect this fight at all.

another argument people make for Rashad is that his wrestling ability will allow him to take Chuck down. well, that is just preposterous. Rashad isn't even that good of a wrestler. he had a very average wrestling career at Michigan State. i think he was somewhere around a .500 record, which is by no means insignificant but it doesn't mean you are a phenomenal wrestler either. Chuck has faced Randy Couture, an Olympic level wrestler and a D-I All-American who placed 2nd in the D-I Championships, Tito Ortiz, an accomplished submission wrestler who placed 3rd at the ADCC and a State Junior Champion in college, and Babalu, a Brazilian national wrestling champion. Chuck has been able to keep the fight on the feet against all of those fighters (excluding the first randy fight...the other 2 he was able to keep it standing). if Chuck was able to avoid the take down from those fighters, then how can you expect a .500 wrestler form Michigan State to take him down? i just don't get it.

No matter how you break this fight down, it is apparent that Chuck will win this fight...i don't understand how people see otherwise.

Very well said!!
the_01
9/5/08 8:06:32AM
I think we all agree that Chuck will win, because we dont want to see Chuck lose. There is a big chance that Rashad wil win, the guy is smart, and he always finds a way to win, and its a 50-50 chance. I cant say that Chuck wins, I just pray that he will.
mkiv9secsupra
9/5/08 8:43:55AM

Posted by the_01
There is a big chance that Rashad wil win, the guy is smart, and he always finds a way to win, and its a 50-50 chance.

how do you figure 50-50?! Chuck has every advantage except speed on his side in this fight. There is no way you could justify seeing this as a 50-50 fight.
coldchillin
9/5/08 1:43:19PM
I think the fight is going to be closer than everybody thinks as well... Rashad has quicker hands, quicker instincts and I haven't really seen his chin tested out so that remains to be seen if he can a looping punch from Chuck.

Rashad at times is scared to pull the trigger but I have to give the wrestling advantage to him as well but like others have stated, Couture has better wrestling and got knocked out twice but he did use his wrestling to his advantage in their first fight. Chuck's going to have problems with Rashad because he isn't going to try bumrush him like many others have. Chuck is probably the best counter-puncher in all of MMA. I can see Rashad taking a hard-fought decision here.
jawbreaker517
9/5/08 5:17:49PM

I am one of those Rashad believers. Not to take anything away from Chuck, but he is older now and people think he is going to be in great shape forever. What is "proposterous" is to say Chuck will be 100% and this and that. How in the world do you know? Are you in his camp?
You named a ton of fighters Chuck has fought years ago. Exactly, years ago, not the same as now. Oh, and everybody keeps talking about how impressive he looked against Wandy, but I can't see that. He got the better of Silva, but he almost got knocked down in that fight too.
I see a few big holes in Liddell's stand-up defense also(maybe why he's been getting his ass rocked in his last few fights). His hands are constantly down at chest level, number one no-no for those who know anything about boxing or martial arts.
Rashad, on the other hand, is in his prime, much more explosive, and, myself being a wrestler, thinks his wrestling is above just average. It doesn't matter what his college career shows, this is mma buddy, a whole different ballgame. Its how you mix the stand-up with the takedowns, ala GSP against Koscheck.
I do agree that Rashad is alittle gun-shy but do know hes got fast hands and good KO power(and he keeps his hand up, too).
I guess I'll talk to you on Sunday so I can rub it in alittle. See ya later.
Oh, Rashad by second round TKO sucka!
slapshot
9/6/08 3:28:58AM
Rashad will need to use a similar game plan to Jardine's to beat Chuck and he would need to execute it better, could he do it maybe but the probability is that Liddell will cut off the ring a bit to keep him from running and then drop heavy shots, hell he might even take a page from Wandy and bull rush but IMO Rashad would need to get this out of the stand up and off the feet something he just wont have the ability to do because at least IMO when you look at Liddell old or not you're still looking at one of if not "the BEST TDD'S" in MMA period. I think even if Rashad wins this fight will end in the first round.
haggiswashere
9/6/08 8:55:12PM
I love how internet fans were saying literally a year and a half ago that chuck is the best and shit and now thanks to the new fighter rating archive you can see for yourself and he lost twice and then NOW everyone says he is too old and it's just funny. Cuz people age so much in ONE F*CKING YEAR!! im sorry to say but 60% of you internet fans are only fairweather fans and 20% of you call yourself hardcore fans and all you do is make contreversal points that don't make sense and say friggin paul filho is #2 middleweight. we need to come up with a name for you supposed "hardcore fans" cuz you guys can be pointed out from a mile away! That leaves 20% that make legitimate points who are actually cool to talk to and some of them actually are hardcore fans!

wow what a rant
MMA
9/7/08 8:45:17AM
Lol, okay.

Final warning for both mkiv9secsupra and gsquat. If you guys can't be civilized, I will do it for you.
jiujitsufreak74
9/7/08 10:45:46AM
i bow down and admit i was horribly, horribly wrong about Rashad. Rashad fans, you were 100% correct and i think Rashad proved himself to be a legitimate LHW and i will never doubt him again.

oh, and another thing i noticed last nightt; if you train with Greg Jackson and you pinch your nipples on camera before the fight you will automatically win.
The_Ho_Bag
9/7/08 11:13:11AM

i bow down and admit i was horribly, horribly wrong about Rashad. Rashad fans, you were 100% correct and i think Rashad proved himself to be a legitimate LHW and i will never doubt him again.

oh, and another thing i noticed last nightt; if you train with Greg Jackson and you pinch your nipples on camera before the fight you will automatically win.

agreed , kudos to all rashad fans
mkiv9secsupra
9/7/08 11:20:57AM
Maybe chuck is cursed against TUF fighters? Jardine and Evans....
jawbreaker517
9/7/08 11:42:26AM

I was being a bit of a jerk, and i didn't realize it until i just read your latest statements. Sorry about that. Oh, I did notice he pinched his nipples two different times before the fight. My wife is a nurse and she thinks that it releases some endorphines in the brain or something. Wierd, huh?
mkiv9secsupra
9/7/08 11:43:39AM
i guess we can throw the rashad being gunshy theory out the window