Chuck Liddell is in a must win situation

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Chuck Liddell is in a must win situation
JustizzleFoShizzle
11/18/07 3:34:28AM
I"m gonna go out on a lim here and say that UFC 79 will be the highest grossing event in the history of the sport. I also think that Liddell needs to win now more than ever. I think it is more important for him to win then it is for Silva. Silva could lose this fight and still be considered in the top 5, but I think Liddell would really suffer from a loss right now. It's kinda like he needs to beat him just to SURVIVE now. It dosen't look remotely possible for him to beat rampage and he just lost to Jardine, while with Silva's two wins over the champ, this loss really wouldn't hurt him, but a win would catapult him into title contention. Personally I can't wait for December 29th.
cmill21
11/18/07 3:38:19AM
Silva's lost two in a row in brutal fashion, and has at the most 1/2 the fan base in the US that Chuck does. I think it would hurt wand more if he loses. It will also hurt me more because i'll get the joy of hearing certain people tell everyone how Pride was always overrated, and Wand sucks.
hippysmacker
11/18/07 6:16:02AM

Posted by cmill21

Silva's lost two in a row in brutal fashion, and has at the most 1/2 the fan base in the US that Chuck does. I think it would hurt wand more if he loses. It will also hurt me more because i'll get the joy of hearing certain people tell everyone how Pride was always overrated, and Wand sucks.

I agree with your statements about Wandy having more to lose, and I always ignore nutthuggers and trolls of any kind No matter who wins Chuck or Wandy are both deserving legends IMO.
nickcuc547
11/18/07 8:33:20AM
i dont know i think chuck has more to lose because he is a much bigger name. now both would be crippled if they lost but because wandy doesnt have as much of a fan base it will be percieved more that chuck has lost it. plus it would be 3 straight losses for chuck and he is 37. wandy would be three straight but only one in the octogon and he is younger so he would have some time to climb back up if he reels off a few big wins against tough competition. i think chuck is fighting for his career to be honest with you.
DCRage
11/18/07 8:59:37AM
Chuck's done in UFC if he loses, or at the very least he's never getting his title back. I'd cut Wandy some slack if he loses though, the PRIDE guys are having a bit of trouble adjusting to the Octagon so far (ecxept for Rampage & Nogueira) and it's been something like 10 months since he's fought so he might have some rust to shake off. I'd only worry if he loses his first 3 or so fights or loses a "booked to win" fight. This won't be the biggest-grossing event either, 81 will be because of Lesnar.
D0wnUnd6e6r
11/18/07 9:27:01AM
Chuck WILL fall
mrsmiley
11/18/07 9:40:46AM
From a media standpoint,Chuck has more to lose.
jomatty
11/18/07 9:46:53AM
chuck will always be a huge draw but i do believe that he has more to lose. the average fan in the us doesnt know about wands exact situation only that he is a beast. the two brutal losses are not something they are even aware of. to the average fan if he loses to chuck that will be all they really understand and chuck is known to be so good that wandy will still be able to come back quickly. three losses for chuck will look very bad to the average fan.

everyone should keep in mind that chuck has slid before, people suspected he was too old, and he came back to have the most impressive run as lhw champ ever, so i for one am not counting him out of this fight, or in regaining his belt and having one last run. i still think he could beat rampage, although it is obviously a bad matchup for him.
MALICE
11/18/07 3:35:05PM

Posted by DCRage

Chuck's done in UFC if he loses, or at the very least he's never getting his title back. I'd cut Wandy some slack if he loses though, the PRIDE guys are having a bit of trouble adjusting to the Octagon so far (ecxept for Rampage & Nogueira) and it's been something like 10 months since he's fought so he might have some rust to shake off. I'd only worry if he loses his first 3 or so fights or loses a "booked to win" fight. This won't be the biggest-grossing event either, 81 will be because of Lesnar.

Well Wanderlei has fought in the cage before so I dont know how that can be an excuse. Also, He had 10 months off to clear his head, he switched camps and is training harder and better than ever before, so ring rust is not a factor either. Silva and Liddell are two of the greatest LHW champs in mma history. One man will come out on top, but neither fighter will need an excuse for their loss, for they will have lost to a legend of mma.

Pitbull09
11/18/07 5:55:09PM
If chuck loses this, I have a feeling he might become a future tank abbott and just be used when they need the other guy to win. If he can beat Silva though, I dont see him going far after that.
themmadigest
11/18/07 6:44:57PM
3 losses in a row won't look good at all. He seems to be taking it very seriously with the recent talk that he's looking to enlist Filho to help train him
Scott_Revels
11/18/07 6:51:39PM
I think that if Liddell loses, he needs to either retire (which this would be a great fight to end your career on), or drop down to Middleweight if possible. I would love to see him and Anderson go at it.. It would give him a chance to start winning again.
stickyhash421
11/18/07 8:47:05PM
this is a terrible time to have this fight, it shoulda happened when they were both champions or if they had wanderlei come to the ufc instead of rampage just because rampage beat chuck before....however....if there both like trapped animals we'll definatly see a WAR!!! but i see wandy winning for some reason
Crisis167
11/18/07 9:44:03PM
I think that they both are in the exact same position at this point. Wanderlei needed the 10 months off,he came back to early after being knocked out by cro cop to defend his belt against Hendo, he wasn't ready for it.

Chuck is coming off of back to back losses, but they both are kinda sitting in the same boat, and yes a win will definately propell either of them right into title contention, but a loss will do more than just damage their record.

i think a loss for either of these two fighters will serverly hurt their ego, losing three in a row, has to do damage.... just look at Cro cop.. he lost twice in a row and almost quit for good.

Now as far as the U.S. fans go, Chuck will receive much more criticism for losing than Wandy Will, These days everybody hops on the bandwagon and goes with whoever wins... Chuck has one of the most impressive mma careers, but no body seems to care when a fighter hits a slump....

In my opinion chuck just likes to fight, yeah he cares about his record, but the UFC won't be leaving their boy anytime soon, and unless Liddell losses like 6 straight, I don't see him quitting anytime soon, In fact we May see Liddell in his 40's still fighting for a title shot, That guy's Knockout power will be the last things that leaves, and he still has plenty power left.
MadDog82
11/18/07 10:57:36PM
They both need the win, but I'd say Chuck needs it more.
JustizzleFoShizzle
11/19/07 12:11:45AM
I don't think Chuck can beat Rampage just like Tito can't beat Chuck. It's gonna be very interesting what they do to him after this fight either way, but I would really like to know what they would do if he lost cause he has so much to lose.