Chuck Liddell willing to fight for Heavyweight title

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Chuck Liddell willing to fight for Heavyweight title
Next Page »
ThaAxeMurderer7
3/11/08 1:53:09PM
First things first: Chuck Liddell wants to remain at 205 lbs. so he can reclaim his light heavyweight title. However, the former champ says he's willing to move up to the heavyweight division to fight interim champ Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira if the UFC makes the request.
Link

He's won once in his last 3 fights, I dont think he needs to be even thinking of moving up just yet.
StevenSeagal
3/11/08 2:00:11PM
Nog would eat him in Vegas, take a plane back to Brasil, then poop him out in the Black House team toilet.

But seriously, Sprawl wise Nog might have issues getting Chuck down to the ground... But never say never, Chuck also isnt 9'11" like Timmay.

It would be a crap shoot to call if Nog would score and keep a solid takedown. I think Nog could secure a takedown. He was able to get Cro Cop on the mat and Chuck's TD defense isnt any more "mythical" as Cro Cop's at his prime... Plus Nog is bigger...

Only way Nog would lose is if he got caught with one of Chuck's out of no where overhand haymakers...
babytater03
3/11/08 2:23:06PM
What does Chuck walk around at? 220? maybe?

Chuck needs to focus on his match against the UNDEFEATED Rashad "Naptime" Evans before he needs to be worrying about stepping up in weight.

Btw. Mr. Seagal, love der Hasselhoff avatar.
StevenSeagal
3/11/08 2:26:07PM

Posted by babytater03

What does Chuck walk around at? 220? maybe?

Chuck needs to focus on his match against the UNDEFEATED Rashad "Naptime" Evans before he needs to be worrying about stepping up in weight.

Btw. Mr. Seagal, love der Hasselhoff avatar.

Thanks bro. Brought to you by BlazinSaddle and my lost av bet
grappler0000
3/11/08 2:28:15PM

Posted by StevenSeagal

Nog would eat him in Vegas, take a plane back to Brasil, then poop him out in the Black House team toilet.

But seriously, Sprawl wise Nog might have issues getting Chuck down to the ground... But never say never, Chuck also isnt 9'11" like Timmay.

It would be a crap shoot to call if Nog would score and keep a solid takedown. I think Nog could secure a takedown. He was able to get Cro Cop on the mat and Chuck's TD defense isnt any more "mythical" as Cro Cop's at his prime... Plus Nog is bigger...

Only way Nog would lose is if he got caught with one of Chuck's out of no where overhand haymakers...

To say that Cro Cop's TD defense is as good as Chuck's is a little naive.
Pookie
3/11/08 2:31:36PM

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by StevenSeagal

p4p i agree, but take into account Cro-cops size and strength and i think for a heavyweight its about the same difficulty.
StevenSeagal
3/11/08 2:32:22PM

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by StevenSeagal

I honestly think that old Cro Cop's TD defense was just as good as Chuck's... Chuck's is almost perfect, but I dont put it on a pedistal as much as others do. Its def an attainable attribute... Its not like a stong chin that ur born with... Comparing CC's anything as of late is naive, ill give u that.
gsquat
3/11/08 2:36:50PM
I would say that he should worry about his upcoming fight, but after he loses his third out of his last four fights, he'll need to move somewhere.
wolfgarnaud
3/11/08 2:37:29PM
why liddell is talking about that crap, nobody is paying attention to him, thats why he comes up with those comments.
wolfgarnaud
3/11/08 2:43:55PM
first off, he is not gonna be a MW ... with that freak ass belly he has,,,
uhm.. HW??? i have heard chucky talk about fighthing cro crop and fedor,,, the guy is just getting dumb,,, stop drinking while you're doing interviews,

he doesnt need to move another weight class,,, he needs to retire

he is not gonna beat Rampage, the guy is just OLD
grappler0000
3/11/08 2:50:52PM

Posted by StevenSeagal

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by StevenSeagal

I honestly think that old Cro Cop's TD defense was just as good as Chuck's... Chuck's is almost perfect, but I dont put it on a pedistal as much as others do. Its def an attainable attribute... Its not like a stong chin that ur born with... Comparing CC's anything as of late is naive, ill give u that.

I will say that CC does have a good TD defense, but: (1) Defending the takedown in a cage is more difficult than a ring. (2) CC's TD defense is often credited by fighting guys from Hammerhouse...Randleman and Coleman are both great wrestlers, but are very one dimensional. It makes it much more difficult to set up the takedown if you don't know how to throw your hands...especially if you have to worry about a lethal left leg. (3) Although CC has been successfull in this area, he has not been as successful as Liddell. Liddell's only real challenge to date has been Handy...and he was able to fix the glitch in fights 2 and 3.

It is definitely an attainable attribute...more important in some fights than others. In a Liddell/Nog match up, it would be very important...in fact, it would make or break Liddell's chances all together.
Twenty20Dollars
3/11/08 3:00:08PM
Personally I think it would be an interesting fight. win or lose for chuck. I'd love to see it.
RMFG_187
3/11/08 4:00:16PM
im almost 100% sure that Chuck would beat Nog, 1st round KO.
RMFG_187
3/11/08 4:02:01PM

Posted by StevenSeagal

LMAO i cant believe u just said that... HAHAHA
D-Money34
3/11/08 4:14:25PM
Dude you need help, Nog would beat chuck with his eyes closed...
189lber
3/11/08 4:15:19PM
I can't believe you said chuck will win with a K.O in the first round. Are you drinking and smoking what chuck is?! Nog would whoop Chuck! Jardine beat Chuck! Hell man! Nog is a tough man that is why he has the belt and chuck on the other hand has none.
billycarnage
3/11/08 4:18:00PM
Chuck would be a tougher draw than most of the current UFC HW contenders. But I don't know about all this.
silverbullet
3/11/08 4:20:08PM
Chuck will sprawl and KO Big Nog RD 1. Big Nog is no wrestler, all he can do is try and jump into guard. If Randy Couture could not take/keep Chuck down, no BJJ fighter can.

Cro Cop has the shittiest TD defense i've ever seen. Gonzaga didn't even have to TRY to take him down, and he's a BJJ fighter. Even Kongo took him down with ease FFS! Maybe in Pride against kickboxers Cro Cop showed some sick takedown defense, but the lack of his ground game was apparent in the UFC. See my signature.

Chuck vs Tim Sylvia, i'd pick Big Tim in a heartbeat
Chuck vs Nog? 1 RD KO for Chuck
JimiMak
3/11/08 4:30:28PM
Chuck would have a "puncher's chance" and that's it. Nog' standup is even more technical than Chuck's. He's only had guys in lhw that are good at JJ try to keep him down. Nog shouldn't have a problem since he comes in heavier than Chuck walks around at. Submissions vs none. Easy fight to predict.
rabbit915
3/11/08 4:35:16PM
The LHW division is so stacked right now and there are so many guys that Chuck can fight there that i dont know why this is even an issue.

Now as for the hypothetical issue, i think Chuck could compete in the HW division ecspecially with some of the strikers but i think that the size of some of the bigger guys who like to fight on the ground would make it hard for him.
silverbullet
3/11/08 4:54:54PM

Posted by JimiMak

He's only had guys in lhw that are good at JJ try to keep him down.

"Guys that are good at JJ" such asTito Ortiz or Randy Couture? I want to know how a BJJ practitioner with no wrestling background will take down or KEEP Chuck on the ground.

As far as Big Nog's "technical" striking... He was nearly KO'ed by both Sylvia and Herring and hung on by the skin of his teeth.
prozacnation1978
3/11/08 5:00:02PM
chuck just wants the gold, he wants his title shot even if he were to lose and lose again his sights are on gold, but man jardine, machida derserve shots more than chuck, even if he beats rashad who as well needs a title shot he should not be next, if rashad wins i think he derserves his shot, as well as jardine if he beats silva, i don't know what jackson's camp is eating or smoking down their in new mexico but his boys are fearless and will fight anyone
Manak
3/11/08 5:12:37PM

Posted by silverbullet

Posted by JimiMak

He's only had guys in lhw that are good at JJ try to keep him down.

"Guys that are good at JJ" such asTito Ortiz or Randy Couture? I want to know how a BJJ practitioner with no wrestling background will take down or KEEP Chuck on the ground.

As far as Big Nog's "technical" striking... He was nearly KO'ed by both Sylvia and Herring and hung on by the skin of his teeth.

but he wasnt KOed. not even a CC left high kick or fedor poundin his face in so i dont see how cuchk will be able to KO him when he taken the shots and never been finished.... i could see chuck winnin a by UD but not by finish cause he prb will rock him but he wont go to the ground to finish him cause hell get subbed unless he gets him like heath did. nogs sub guy is unreal and see him sub him in the 3rd or 4th when chuck is worn out and cant get up, chuck needs to look at his upcomin fight cause he was callin out CC and fedor right before rampage KOed him
Pookie
3/11/08 5:16:52PM

Posted by silverbullet

C'mon dude, you have to know that youre stretching the truth.

Nog absolutely schooled Herring in the stand-up the entire fight and got caught with one kick directly on the sweet spot, still he defended intelligently.
Seriously dude, he was owning herring.

Sylvia has a reach advantage, something nog wasnt used to as he has the second longest arm length in the HW division, possibly in all of mma. Sylvia is a pretty tough dude to prepare for.

But yes as far as Chuck Liddell vs Big Nog, i would take Nog in a heart beat.

Nog can take more punishment than Liddell can dish out, and has the better faster more technical striking.

Another thing Liddell has going against him is that hes fighting someone who has a longer reach then he does, and that will screw up his timing just like Nog's timing was screwed up against Sylvia.

jakeiceman
3/11/08 5:18:58PM
Everyone keeps talkin about how Liddell would be outsized.....Liddell is not a small guy for hell sakes he is 6 2" and walks around at 220 lbs. Nog has not done ANYTHING in the UFC that has been impressive. He is a great fighter but my hell he only won a crappy decision over Herring because Herring for some reason did not finish him when he was in la la land. And as far as the fight withy Sylvia....big deal. Nog would have NO chance of keepin Chuck on the mat...and whoever said his striking is better must be "smokin whatever Chuck is" Liddell would own this one from beginning to end (and it would end...very soon) and then possibly eat Nog and crap him out deep in the bowels of the PIT.
Pookie
3/11/08 5:24:12PM

Posted by jakeiceman

Everyone keeps talkin about how Liddell would be outsized.....Liddell is not a small guy for hell sakes he is 6 2" and walks around at 220 lbs. Nog has not done ANYTHING in the UFC that has been impressive. He is a great fighter but my hell he only won a crappy decision over Herring because Herring for some reason did not finish him when he was in la la land. And as far as the fight withy Sylvia....big deal. Nog would have NO chance of keepin Chuck on the mat...and whoever said his striking is better must be "smokin whatever Chuck is" Liddell would own this one from beginning to end (and it would end...very soon) and then possibly eat Nog and crap him out deep in the bowels of the PIT.

you do realize that liddell leaves many holes in his stand-up defensively.

And at 220 hes still 15 pounds the smaller man.
Manak
3/11/08 5:30:02PM

Posted by Pookie

Posted by jakeiceman

plus chuck will be carrin more weight than he's used to fightin with so his condtition and speed will be affected
quezocrema0032
3/11/08 5:32:29PM
i think there are 2 many chuck haters out there =/ ... yea this guy lost 2 rampage whos just a bad style match up and jardine but hes still chuck im not saying he'd win but give the guy credit and stop making it seem like he has no place being in the ring with nog cuz everyone knows chuck can hang in there wit neone
Pookie
3/11/08 5:34:46PM

Posted by quezocrema0032

i think there are 2 many chuck haters out there =/ ... yea this guy lost 2 rampage whos just a bad style match up and jardine but hes still chuck im not saying he'd win but give the guy credit and stop making it seem like he has no place being in the ring with nog cuz everyone knows chuck can hang in there wit neone

...except rampage
jakeiceman
3/11/08 5:43:47PM

Posted by Pookie

Posted by jakeiceman

I know man I never said Liddell was the epitome of perfect striking (or defense for that matter) Everyone thinks that Nog would win this one with his eyes closes...all I am askin is....WHY? and HOW? Nog might have technical striking but thats easy to say until you have a great counter striker like Liddell (who still has some of the best one punch KO power out there regardless of what the haters think) tryin to take your head off. It probably would be a good fight but I just cannot see Nog takin him down and I really dont think he would win the standup. Even if he did get him down, Liddell is not easy to submit. Giving up the 15-20 lbs could be an advantage in many ways. I'm not hating on Nog I just really do not think from what we have seen recently from Nog that he has the power to capitalize on the holes in Liddells defense, or that he has what it takes to get Liddell to the ground for very long....just my two cents....again I'm no expert
Pages: [1] 2 3