Chuck Liddell V.S Tim Sylvia?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Chuck Liddell V.S Tim Sylvia?
Ultimate_fighter
2/28/07 6:31:37PM
Chuck is gonna move up into the heavy-weight division after he beats "Rampage" (quinton jackson), to face CRO COP (Mirko Flipovic) and Fedor. But I think he should move to heavyweight as the light heavy champ and just fight Tim Sylvia for the heavyweight belt. Besides Chuck as nothing to lose. if he does lose he doesn't lose he belt so why not? What do you think?
hippysmacker
2/28/07 6:37:48PM
I think Chuck should fight about 4 more people at LHVY, hopefully Wandy being one, before he moves up . I love Chuck and thinks he's the best 205 lb. fighter in the world, but I also think Cro-cop, Sylvia , Fedor, etc. would all beat him the majority of the time.
pv3Hpv3p
2/28/07 6:43:26PM
There are a few up and comers in the LHW div, who are all talented fighters, but none of them stand a chance at beating Chuck, IMO.

Sure it would end up another HL KO for Liddell, but in all reality it would be a waste of his time, or just fights to pad his record...

It would be a good move on Chuck's part, if he still wants to challenge himself, to move up, after avenging the loss to Page..

And a good move on the UFC's part, to start the next chapter in their LHW div, that I repeat is stacked with talent, but Chucky is just lightyears beyond any of them...

Of course this is all assuming he wins the Rampage fight.
Lay_N_Pray
2/28/07 8:07:52PM
Chuck vs Cro Cop would be a sight to behold

I would pay lots of money to see that fight, I think Cro Cop would win for sure, but man it would be a war
Mantis
2/28/07 9:06:53PM
I say we wait and see if he can beat Rampage. I think it would be a total stand up war if he fights Cro-cop. Im giving it to Cro-cop chuck is an awesome striker but Standing infront of Cro-cop unless your Fedor is suicide.
jdubs
2/28/07 9:15:52PM
he better stop wastin time, soon he wil have to do the old gut hair style were its bald in the middle
MattHughes
2/28/07 9:20:42PM
I think Chuck should move up, hes one tough dude and wont back out of a fight. Hes gonna challenge himself and I think he can do anything he puts his mind to.
I got a different question though...when Chuck does retire (whenever that may be) who will be the UFC LHW champ? tito(great fighter just cant beat chuck),babalu(same as tito), Rampage(has a chance of beating Chuck when they meet, i think chuck takes it though), Rashad(i dont see rashad being champ and holding onto the belt as long as guys like tito babalu and rampage are here)
OchoCinco
2/28/07 9:33:41PM
I love Chuck but I don't know if he could take Cro Cop. I would much rather see him face Wandy or Shogun
zephead
2/28/07 9:49:31PM
Chuck has the same style as Tim. To much reach. Tim would drop him. He stands a better chance against Fedor and Cro-Cop before Sylvia. Not to mention 265lbs
loller90278
2/28/07 9:59:39PM

Posted by zephead

Chuck has the same style as Tim. To much reach. Tim would drop him. He stands a better chance against Fedor and Cro-Cop before Sylvia. Not to mention 265lbs

woww....

zephead
2/28/07 10:03:58PM
woww?????? Whats that mean?
hippysmacker
2/28/07 10:04:30PM

Posted by zephead

I actually agree. That being said I think Cro-cop and Fedor would beat Sylvia . Styles make fight's. I love Chuck, I just think his eyes are too big for his stomach on this one.
zephead
2/28/07 10:08:33PM
I think Cro-Cop and Fedor would also beat Sylvia. But I also think Chuck would stand a better chance against those two compared to Sylvia. Sylvia is to big for Chuck. Weight and heigth. To much reach. Fedor, if , he got in trouble with Sylvia could take him down. Cro-Cop has his leg kicks to keep Sylvia at bay.

Sylvia has to much reach for Chuck. What would Chuck do, take him down? Chcuk has to stand and bang. Fedor has something to fall back on if he got into trouble with Sylvia. Remember the Fujita fight? Chuck doesn't have that.
CWall33
3/1/07 9:44:25AM
IF Chuck beats Page and keeps his belt, and then moves up and beats CroCop/Sylvia, would be be able to keep both belts?

It seems like the UFC wants their champs to defend a couple a times a year. Would he be able to do it in 2 weight classes at the same time? Or, would he have to vacate one of them? If so, which one would he vacate?

Lotsa "if's" there, but how would that work?

I would love to see him as the HW champ. Forget Wand, Lidell/Crocop and/or Lidell/Fedor are the fights of the decade. (though I think Big Nog would take him easily).
waylon_o
3/1/07 10:13:57AM
I think it would be a good idea for Chuck to move up, but only after he fights Rampage (and wins). If he loses to Rampage, he should either rematch him or quit...I don't want him to quit, but I don't want to see him move up to heavyweight after a loss to Rampage. I don't want him to go out like that.
Pyrenus
3/1/07 11:34:34AM
I'd be happy to see Chuck fight another striker for once. All his latest matches have been against wrestlers or grapplers. Put Chuck against a striker so we can see him kick again. I wonder if chuck remembers how to kick?

ElGuapo31
3/1/07 11:58:55AM
its a moot point because tim wont have the belt by the time chuck would attempt this...assuming he can beat rampage
pv3Hpv3p
3/1/07 12:23:44PM

Posted by CWall33

IF Chuck beats Page and keeps his belt, and then moves up and beats CroCop/Sylvia, would be be able to keep both belts?

It seems like the UFC wants their champs to defend a couple a times a year. Would he be able to do it in 2 weight classes at the same time? Or, would he have to vacate one of them? If so, which one would he vacate?

Lotsa "if's" there, but how would that work?

I would love to see him as the HW champ. Forget Wand, Lidell/Crocop and/or Lidell/Fedor are the fights of the decade. (though I think Big Nog would take him easily).

I think that after what we saw Hendo do last saturday, anything's possible...

Especially if the UFC and Dana think they have been one uped by Pride...
jocksmall
3/1/07 4:31:17PM
i would love to see that fight
JoeMimic
3/1/07 4:52:48PM
I think Chuck would be a good matchup against Tim; he's aggressive has KO power in both hands and throws from angles Timmy isn't going to see coming until he wakes up. Tim's chin isn't the best Arlovski knocked him down both times they fought and I'd say Chuck has more power in his hands then Andrei.
pv3Hpv3p
3/1/07 5:01:19PM

Posted by JoeMimic

I think Chuck would be a good matchup against Tim; he's aggressive has KO power in both hands and throws from angles Timmy isn't going to see coming until he wakes up. Tim's chin isn't the best Arlovski knocked him down both times they fought and I'd say Chuck has more power in his hands then Andrei.

AA is a really big strong guy and there is no shame in being dropped by a clean chin-shot from a 6'4" 240lbser with great boxing skills...

As for power, it's kind of a toss up for me, I think Chuck and Andrei are pretty close, but IMO I would give the edge to AA just because of his size and athletesism...

Now you, got me thinking, Chuck vs Arlovski would be a great fight...
JoeMimic
3/1/07 5:37:22PM

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

Posted by JoeMimic

AA is a really big strong guy and there is no shame in being dropped by a clean chin-shot from a 6'4" 240lbser with great boxing skills...

As for power, it's kind of a toss up for me, I think Chuck and Andrei are pretty close, but IMO I would give the edge to AA just because of his size and athletesism...

Indeed there is no shame in being dropped by "The Pitbull" but I only used him as an example because Chuck power is at least equal to if not greater then Arlovski's and if Chuck connected he could put Sylvia down too.
We_Todd_Did
3/1/07 5:46:53PM

Posted by JoeMimic

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

Posted by JoeMimic

Indeed there is no shame in being dropped by "The Pitbull" but I only used him as an example because Chuck power is at least equal to if not greater then Arlovski's and if Chuck connected he could put Sylvia down too.

No offense dude, but that is some Bizzaro World shit right there.I'm not knocking Chuck, but he is NOT in any way, in this or any alternate parallel universe, stronger than AA.He is more dominant in his division, and is definitely a more accurate and probably more technical striker than AA, but I can't think of anything close to a factual basis for him being stronger.People talk like he is the hardest puncher in the world, and yes, he does hit hard, but I think his accuracy has as much if not more to do with his ko percentage than his power.Think about it, he ko's a lot of people,but how often does he send someone home looking like a smashed pumpkin a la Diaz after Gomi or Wandy after CC?
JoeMimic
3/1/07 6:04:44PM

Posted by We_Todd_Did

Posted by JoeMimic

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

Posted by JoeMimic

No offense dude, but that is some Bizzaro World shit right there.I'm not knocking Chuck, but he is NOT in any way, in this or any alternate parallel universe, stronger than AA.He is more dominant in his division, and is definitely a more accurate and probably more technical striker than AA, but I can't think of anything close to a factual basis for him being stronger.People talk like he is the hardest puncher in the world, and yes, he does hit hard, but I think his accuracy has as much if not more to do with his ko percentage than his power.Think about it, he ko's a lot of people,but how often does he send someone home looking like a smashed pumpkin a la Diaz after Gomi or Wandy after CC?

Because he has one punch knockout power in both hands; there aren't many people who are going to be able to take one clean shot from Chuck let alone numerous shots. He throws from all sorts of weird and different angles which allow his bombs to connect because they aren't looking for punches to come from where he sends them.
Stickan
3/1/07 7:14:46PM
Tim by size.
cowcatcher
3/2/07 1:39:18PM
I think it was zephead that said Chuck and Tim have the same style, I couldn't disagree more. Chuck is a classic counterpuncher that uses angles to land shots, Tim is a classic jab first boxer that overwhelmes ppl with his size and reach. They're both stand up fighters and if that's what was meant than I'll give you that but they are stylistically very different from a boxing standpoint.
JimiMak
3/3/07 3:38:45AM
Are you all serious? you think Chuck could hang with the top 10 HVY's? No f'ing way could he hang with.... Fedor, CroCop, Nog, Barnett, Sylvia... and that's just the top 5. No way! He is a hvy that fights at lhvy for a reason, the same reason Randy moved down, you can't expect them to compete with the giants just based on size. Of course he's gonna want to test himself, but if he really wanted to test himself he would've always been a hvy. Same reason Franklin fights at 185. Against any of these "dream matches" Chuck gets ko'd in less than 3 rounds. He's way to sit back and wait and not enough forward movement to deal wit the biggies (I think a. emelianenko would be awesome). Even CroCop said his own biggest weakness was not moving forward enough.
MattHughes
3/6/07 12:50:38PM
I think Randy just showed everyone how to beat Sylvia. Of course it's easier said than done, no one in the UFC HW has Coutures wrestling.
Jeffanori-Gomi
3/6/07 2:13:01PM

Posted by Lay_N_Pray

Chuck vs Cro Cop would be a sight to behold

I would pay lots of money to see that fight, I think Cro Cop would win for sure, but man it would be a war

I would pay money too. 39.99 to be exact