Chuck Liddell Thinks Jake Shields Will Upset Georges St. Pierre

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Chuck Liddell Thinks Jake Shields Will Upset Georges St. Pierre
pmoney
4/26/11 6:00:49PM
Chuck Liddell knows a thing or two about defending a championship. The "Iceman" captured the UFC light-heavyweight title and held it for two years before relinquishing the crown. Georges St. Pierre has held a UFC belt even longer. He won the undisputed welterweight title in April 2008, so a successful title defense over Jake Shields at this weekend's UFC 129 will make it three years and counting at the top.

Liddell, though, has his doubts about St. Pierre getting there. In a Monday interview on The MMA Hour, Liddell said he thinks the challenger is likely to walk away with the belt.

"I'm siding with Jake," Liddell said. "Jake's going to have to take him down. I'm expecting him to be in great shape for the fight. He'll be in great shape for GSP. But yeah, I expect him to take him down and finish him."

Article
postman
4/26/11 6:03:05PM
There was a time almost EVERYONE thought Jeremy Horn was going to beat Chuck for a second time. Fighters are awful at picking fights.
pmoney
4/26/11 6:11:43PM
I want Jake Shields to win just so Chuck can be right. It'd be a small victory for the Iceman.....
BigIP
4/26/11 6:45:05PM
I think Jake is in GSP's head. GSP is worried about him. It was clear in the Primetime videos that GSP is scared of going to the ground with Jake. If Jake can be Hendo he surely can beat GSP.
prozacnation1978
4/26/11 7:01:32PM
I don't know why so many people are ruling jake out
If he gets a hold of gsp its over !!
Last time gsp defended a sub was years ago and I doubt
He practices it a lot.
sbulldavid
4/26/11 7:11:33PM
Henderson might be much stronger than GSP but GSP is a much better athlete and much more rounded. Shields is going to have to finish GSP if he plans on leaving with the belt, he has the ability to get the job done, but make no mistake Shields has never faced anybody on GSP's level as an MMA fighter.
FastKnockout
4/26/11 7:28:20PM
I love Chuck. But, it just won't happen. I wouldn't have ruled Shields out of this fight before his fight with Kampmann, but after watching him struggle in that fight, all the doubt I had with picking St. Pierre vanished.

I know it was Shield's first cut down to Welterweight, and he might be a little comfortable with it this time around, but I just don't think he will be comfortable enough to handle GSP. GSP is the best at what he does, and he does everything. GSP was defeated when he took his opponent lightly, and he hasn't done it since. Watching Primetime proves he isn't taking Shields lightly, either. I just don't see any chance of Shields winning.
mrsmiley
4/26/11 7:58:17PM

Posted by FastKnockout

I love Chuck. But, it just won't happen. I wouldn't have ruled Shields out of this fight before his fight with Kampmann, but after watching him struggle in that fight, all the doubt I had with picking St. Pierre vanished.

I know it was Shield's first cut down to Welterweight, and he might be a little comfortable with it this time around, but I just don't think he will be comfortable enough to handle GSP. GSP is the best at what he does, and he does everything. GSP was defeated when he took his opponent lightly, and he hasn't done it since. Watching Primetime proves he isn't taking Shields lightly, either. I just don't see any chance of Shields winning.

While it's very well likely GSP took Hughes and Serra lightly, I feel his nerves had a bigger part to play than his work ethic.
I'm picking GSP to win this fight, but if Shields was to sweep the rug out from under him it wouldn't suprise me.
Bloodhound
4/26/11 8:02:24PM
Chuck & Jake are boys of course Liddell is going to pick his friend to beat GSP.
Chael_Sonnen
4/26/11 8:02:39PM
Chuck thinks that cuz they are buds.....a tad biased.

tallica62
4/26/11 8:07:14PM
I think Shields is horribly overrated...very good yes, but not GSP good
hotrodttt
4/26/11 8:16:59PM
People really need to see past how Shields is bing hyped right now. Of course he is a great fighter but he barely just beat Kampman.
quezocrema0032
4/26/11 9:38:25PM

Posted by BigIP

I think Jake is in GSP's head. GSP is worried about him. It was clear in the Primetime videos that GSP is scared of going to the ground with Jake. If Jake can be Hendo he surely can beat GSP.

I'm saying this as someone who is not a gsp fan, as you could tell if you went through any of my gsp posts but you see fear I see gsp trying to sell jake to the average fan. He knows he's the draw so he needs people to believe this guy is a threat and they should order the ppv. jake is a beast and double the fighter hardy is but no where near as marketable so gsp is doing his part to get people to care about this fight especially cause jake has only had 1 fight in the ufc. (and unimpressive at that)
sparky
4/26/11 10:38:39PM

Posted by Bloodhound

Chuck & Jake are boys of course Liddell is going to pick his friend to beat GSP.

My thoughts too!!!!
Lesnar1
4/26/11 11:03:23PM
Chuck was probabaly drunk when he made this prediction.
CCPRIDE99
4/26/11 11:08:11PM
i think gsp is as close to unbeatable as you can get
supatolacyl
4/26/11 11:46:56PM
Chuck has advocated for Jake to be in the UFC for years. During Liddell's title days I recall him mentioning Shields in one of his post fight ring interveiws saying he should be picked up by the UFC. Jake is one of Chuck's boys so of course he's going to pick his freind to win and I would expect nothing less from him. you have always got to pull for your freinds no matter how big the obstacle infront of them. Chuck is a classy dude and it's not that far fetched that Jake could win; However I disagree with him. I think at WW GSP is damn near unbeatable and a sub is not going to be the way GSP loses (if he ever loses again) Someone is going to have to "Serra" him to take that belt and that will be incredibly hard now that he is so cautious. I see GSP dominating this fight in every area (hopping for a finish) but probably a UD
Michael_Corleone
4/27/11 12:19:30AM

Posted by CCPRIDE99

Yeah, that Anderson Silva guy is pretty good too.
casketcoin
4/27/11 12:21:02AM
another loss for chuck
Bubbles
4/27/11 2:01:05AM

Posted by prozacnation1978

I don't know why so many people are ruling jake out
If he gets a hold of gsp its over !!
Last time gsp defended a sub was years ago and I doubt
He practices it a lot.

in what world would GSP not train any aspect of the fight where it could take place?
Bubbles
4/27/11 2:03:57AM

Posted by Michael_Corleone

Posted by CCPRIDE99

GSP doesnt have any glaring weaknesses
jjeans
4/27/11 6:08:24AM

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by Michael_Corleone

Posted by CCPRIDE99

GSP doesnt have any glaring weaknesses

Anderson Silva's weakness is his greatest strength, He doesn't know how to lose in a UFC octagon.
Boo_Radley21
4/27/11 9:17:32AM
I like Chuck. Especially when he talks about how he would have fought Jones when he was in his prime because even though back then he still woulda lost it shows the kind of fighter he was.

GSP by domination again
scpd400
4/27/11 7:02:15PM
I agree I think Chuck had been drinking that day. Now that he might be sober he should rethink his pick
Grimus
4/28/11 2:02:13AM
extends will play a huge factor i hear thats a huge ego boost for some pppl lol
icantthinkofanything
4/28/11 12:10:43PM
I think Jake has a good chance here,

Am I the only fan that saw Jake dominate PHIL DAVIS last night on the prime time? full contact sparring...That was impressive.