Chuck Liddell Talks Pound for Pound, Rematches and the Spider

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Chuck Liddell Talks Pound for Pound, Rematches and the Spider
JimmieDD
10/21/08 7:48:20PM
http://www.mmatraining.com/

Chuck talks about his top 3 pound for pound list, whether he wants to fight Anderson Silva and who he wants to rematch the most.

Gotta love Chuck. This was in Toronto over the weekend I guess.

I'm thinking he'll take on Anderson in his next fight.

monkeybrawler
10/21/08 8:09:22PM
I am a huge Chuck fan have been always will be but I even have to say I hope he dose not take the Anderson fight. Why well the last two guys he lost to were well rounded boxing style fighters and they both caught Chuck with his left down and I think Anderson would do the same unless Chuck changes his game a little. If he dose that then I would love to see the fight happen.
haggiswashere
10/21/08 8:45:34PM
I am forever a chuck nuthugger. but he will lose to the spider
haggiswashere
10/21/08 8:50:59PM
if you notice when the reporter says "who is the top 3 pound for pound not including you" chuck starts to say "i wouldn't of included me" i have alot of respect for chuck
wapttn
10/21/08 9:14:00PM
add liddel vs Boetsch to the new years eve card... makes for fireworks, and a fight that is in liddels favour, but a win that he'll have to earn. Boetsch is coming off a win, and with each fighter having a hightlight reel of KOs the fight can easily be hyped. If liddel can win this fight... it shows that he's not washed up, that he still has some fight left in him, and he still has what it takes to bang it out with the big boys.

If silva is able to defend his title over the weekend, chances are he'll have another fight by the end of the year.... just because silva is silva and wants to finish off his 6 fight contract by the end of next year. This leaves an opening where both fighters will be on a similar timeline so that they can match up.

True, chuck has been KTFOed by black guys who knew where to put the overhand right... and silva would be no different... but both of these fighters had serious wrestling pedigrees and liddel was obviously thinking about defending the takedown the entire time on some level. Against silva, lets be honest... there will be no takedown attempts, and if they are, chuck with 2 peg legs could sprawl them. This lets liddell focus strictly on tighten up his standup in training, and fixing that opening is probably first on his list of things to do.

Some questoin whether chuck's heart is still in it, but i think he'll have no trouble getting motivated for a fight with who dana calls the best p4p fighter in the world. I would suspect he'd prepare for this fight better than any in his entire career.

As for the fight itself... aggressive striker versus patient counterstriker. Neither of these fighters will implement a gameplan like jardine or rashad, this is gonna be a stand and bang war. Could easily end in a 1st round KO, but with the chins that both these fighters have, it'll be one hell of a KO.

Liddel vs Silva... bring it on!
jakeiceman
10/21/08 9:42:28PM

Posted by wapttn

add liddel vs Boetsch to the new years eve card... makes for fireworks, and a fight that is in liddels favour, but a win that he'll have to earn. Boetsch is coming off a win, and with each fighter having a hightlight reel of KOs the fight can easily be hyped. If liddel can win this fight... it shows that he's not washed up, that he still has some fight left in him, and he still has what it takes to bang it out with the big boys.

If silva is able to defend his title over the weekend, chances are he'll have another fight by the end of the year.... just because silva is silva and wants to finish off his 6 fight contract by the end of next year. This leaves an opening where both fighters will be on a similar timeline so that they can match up.

True, chuck has been KTFOed by black guys who knew where to put the overhand right... and silva would be no different... but both of these fighters had serious wrestling pedigrees and liddel was obviously thinking about defending the takedown the entire time on some level. Against silva, lets be honest... there will be no takedown attempts, and if they are, chuck with 2 peg legs could sprawl them. This lets liddell focus strictly on tighten up his standup in training, and fixing that opening is probably first on his list of things to do.

Some questoin whether chuck's heart is still in it, but i think he'll have no trouble getting motivated for a fight with who dana calls the best p4p fighter in the world. I would suspect he'd prepare for this fight better than any in his entire career.

As for the fight itself... aggressive striker versus patient counterstriker. Neither of these fighters will implement a gameplan like jardine or rashad, this is gonna be a stand and bang war. Could easily end in a 1st round KO, but with the chins that both these fighters have, it'll be one hell of a KO.

Very well said my man
KipDynamite
10/22/08 3:14:19AM

Posted by jakeiceman

Posted by wapttn

Very well said my man

I agree! You da man
mrsmiley
10/22/08 7:03:08AM
It would be an interesting fight,but I say Chuck goes down hard.
He's been too slow,too sluggish in his last 4 bouts and Anderson has a deadly accuracy to his striking,along with some killer speed.
On Chucks side,he wouldn' be fighting a transition fighter,but I don't think that would matter a substantial amount in this fight.
Chuck is not the same Chuck that beat Tito,Sobral,Couture.
Sure I would say,beyond a shadow of a doubt that he is still dangerous,but when you face facts it's been a little over 2 years since he's knocked anyone out,and he's had 4 fights within that period.Only winning one of them,which was on a decesion.

I think before they let Chuck come back and fight a top tier guy,they should feed him a sacrificial lamb just to see how brutal he can still be.
If he can come out and beat down a can or two,then I would start giving him some worthy competition.However,if he comes out and loses,or even just pulls a decesion victory or two,I wouldn't even bother putting him against a guy like Anderson.