Chuck Liddell says he’ll take the light heavyweight title from Rashad Evans

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Chuck Liddell says he’ll take the light heavyweight title from Rashad Evans
SmileR
1/4/09 10:50:01PM
“I’ll fight anybody they put in front of me as long as it gets me back closer to the title. I have to try to be the best at what am I doing. I want Rashad Evans, he’s got the title and I’ll take it.”

Former UFC light heavyweight champion Chuck Liddell — who was most recently on the wrong end of a vicious knockout at UFC 88: “Breakthrough” courtesy of Rashad Evans — wants another crack at “Sugar” when asked who he’d like to fight next. That more than likely isn’t going to happen anytime soon — Liddell has lost three of his last four fights. And he no longer appears to be the same world beater who dominated the talent-rich 205-pound division for two years up until 2007. “Iceman” is expected to return at UFC 96 at the Nationwide Arena in Columbus, Ohio, on March 7; however, his opponent remains a mystery. With a win in March, Liddell — who has been getting some extra training at American Top Team (ATT) recently — could very well begin to mount his final assault on the light heavyweight hill before calling it a career. Because of his celebrity and drawing power it’s not crazy to imagine that two impressive wins could get him to the top, regardless of what else is happening in the division. Can he pull it off? Does he have enough gas left in the tank? Has he been surpassed in skill by the other top fighters in the division? Let us hear your opinions in the comments section below.

Link

Full interview here
gabe531
1/4/09 11:00:08PM
if he didnt feel that way he shouldnt be fighting.
Twenty20Dollars
1/4/09 11:15:36PM
The thing is I dont see him fighting rashad for the title. I could see him fighting rashad if evans didnt have the title.

Chuck would have to get working fast if he wants that title shot. In my mind, chuck would have to beat the winner of Silva/Machida or Shogun(if he beats coleman) or a finish of rampage or forrest.
Jesse_Canadian_MMA
1/4/09 11:36:41PM
I think Chuck is maybe a little too far for a title shot now, right now and I agree you've got machida or silva, Thiago that is, Rampage perhaps, maybe if Chuck could beat Forrest.
shit You even have Rich Franklin that could be working his way up
Pitbull09
1/4/09 11:38:34PM
Chuck should stop thinking about the title and think about whatever fight is in front of him to save his career. He isnt in his prime anymore and Rashad is on a whole other level
Ordep
1/4/09 11:45:30PM
With the currenbt UFC LHW division as is right now and after his last performances, I see no reason for mentioning "Liddell" and "title" in the same sentence.
wapttn
1/5/09 12:03:01AM
chuck's career is not what it was... and despite the amazing war where he pulled out the W against wanderlei, the division has evolved while he has begun to show signs of age. If you look at the fighters he would have to go through to get back to the title... i really dont think he has what it takes. With that said, I hope he sticks around for another couple years because he is still a top 10 fighter who's draw and style makes for a lot of great fights.

Jackson 3
Silva 2,
A silva,
Couture 4,
Evans 2,
Jardine 2,
Rua,
Machida,
Cane
Vera
Franklin
Griffin

there's no guarantee that he would win any of these fights which is why i dont feel he's champion material anymore, but they'd certainly add dept to any main card
cmill21
1/5/09 12:03:51AM
I'd like to see Chuck fight Forrest. Thats a fight that would draw.
scooter19820
1/5/09 12:22:28AM
Chuck vs. Forrest should be the fight. The winner of Machida/Silva should get a title shot against the Rashaad/Rampage fight (if that happens).

Chuck vs. Forrest is a huge draw, but also a huge fight. It makes to much sense if Forrest is ready, and I don't see why he shouldn't be.
TheNatural915
1/5/09 8:40:23AM
If he could he would of
emfleek
1/5/09 8:58:30AM
I'd like to see Chuck fight anyone. You're pretty much guaranteed a highlight reel KO whether he's the one delivering or receiving.

Chuck fights are great.
sparky
1/5/09 9:21:44AM
Chuck believes he can do it so that is more then enough for me. If he thinks he can do it, so do I.
DCRage
1/5/09 9:34:01AM
It's like that funny pic I once posted, the division's the boat and Chuck just got tipped over. And if Chuck couldn't beat Rashad before how's he gonna do it now? I don't see it happening.
gabe531
1/5/09 11:06:31AM

Posted by DCRage

It's like that funny pic I once posted, the division's the boat and Chuck just got tipped over. And if Chuck couldn't beat Rashad before how's he gonna do it now? I don't see it happening.

so did you miss the serra vs gsp fights, hughes vs gsp, rampage vs wandy's 3 fights? rematches dont always go the same as they did the first time man, and with the 1 punch ko power of chuck i would say that its possible. rashad is tough no doubt but its still a fight and anything can happen
tdietel01
1/5/09 12:46:40PM
I would like to see him fight the winner of franklin vs hendo. I think liddell vs franklin would be a really good fight and i would pay for just that fight!
ohiostate1016
1/5/09 1:40:07PM

Posted by cmill21

I'd like to see Chuck fight Forrest. Thats a fight that would draw.

I've been saying that fo-eva! ... Well, at least since Forrest lost to Rashad.
telnights
1/5/09 2:20:11PM
Chuck needs to get some wins under his belt before he starts talking about fighting for the title. I think Chuck still has some fights left in him and if he changes his style a little he could be a top 5 again before you know it.
ThePlague
1/5/09 4:18:13PM
If he wants to make one last run at the title, he should be focusing on getting a couple of big exciting fights, not rematching guys who beat him. My vote is for Forest or the Hendo/Franklin loser. I'm sure Dana want's to give him that shot, so I'd bet he could be back in contention with two big wins.
BIGKAT
1/5/09 4:33:30PM

Posted by telnights

Chuck needs to get some wins under his belt before he starts talking about fighting for the title.

really cough lesnar cough
IriShame
1/6/09 1:18:29PM
I say they give him Shogun. If he beats Shogun, then he gets Forrest. If he beats Forrest than I wouldn't be tremendously appalled if they gave him another title shot. Are there more deserving contenders at this point in time? Yes. But Chuck has given us years of entertaining fights and I think he deserves the nod a little quicker than most, provided of course that Rampage is not holding the belt (which he will be) by that time. I don't know if I could handle watching Chuck take another Rampage beatdown. I still refer to the day Chuck lost the title to 'Page as the day Superman died.
telnights
1/6/09 2:09:46PM

Posted by BIGKAT

Posted by telnights

Chuck needs to get some wins under his belt before he starts talking about fighting for the title.

Chuck hasn't beaten anyone in a while other than Wandy which was a razor thin win. Chuck is 1-3 in his last 4 fights and two of those coming way of KO. His last fight was a big KO loss. Lesnar's last fight before fighting for the tittle was against Herring. Which he beat Herring worse than I have seen anyone due. Herring was in a position to fight for the tittle if he won the fight as he had just beat Kongo who was also in a race for the tittle. Lesnar also fights at HW which is a very thin weight class in the UFC. Chuck fights at LHW which is one of the most stacked weight classes in the UFC. Lesnar's only loss is to the other HW champ.
mrsmiley
1/6/09 2:36:03PM
Chuck just needs to focus on winning at this point.
He needs the eye of the tiger,or something to reinvigerate him.

I agree with the idea of him fighting Forrest.
It could be the "perfect" and I mean "perfect" fight for Chuck.
Forrest performs best when labled the underdog,and at this point in the game I believe he would be coming in as the favorite against Chuck.
Not to mention,I think Chuck still has enough power in his fist to send Forrest crashing to the matt.Though it wouldn't be easy.
Chuck would have to be patient and let Forrest come to him.
Though of course that's all a big what if in itself.
I say give him Forrest,or let him and Wandy battle it out one more time.
MMAcca
1/6/09 5:28:04PM

Posted by BIGKAT

Posted by telnights

Or become a pro wrestler then
mrsmiley
1/7/09 6:19:53AM
LOL!

Chuck as a wrestler would be funny.
I could hear JR now.

"Liddell with the Iceman slam!"
whardin19
1/7/09 7:13:00AM
I also think that Chuck vs. Forrest has to be his next fight if possible. Beating Forrest would put him right back up there. But thats a big IFFY. Chuck has lost a step and it's been showing in his last 4 fights. He's still one of the best though. That's why he's one punch away from winning any fight.
HumanTarget
1/7/09 8:59:15AM
Rashad was losing the fight intill he landed one punch. Chucks training at ATT should change his problem of being such a sloppy defender..