Chuck Liddell retires and becomes VP of business development for the UFC

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Chuck Liddell retires and becomes VP of business development for the UFC
cowcatcher
12/29/10 4:23:06PM
link

LAS VEGAS – Chuck Liddell officially is retired from the UFC cage, but "The Iceman's" career isn't over.

The UFC Hall of Famer and former champion has turned in his fight gloves for a spot in the UFC's front office.

The 41-year-old MMA legend and business-school graduate today was named the UFC's executive vice president of business development.

"He's now on level and on par with all the top executives," UFC president Dana White said at today's pre-UFC 125 press conference at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

An emotional Liddell briefly addressed the media and fans. He thanked the UFC for a memorable career and said he looks forward to promoting a sport he helped put on the map.

"I love this sport, and I'm ready for a new chapter in my career," he said.
pmoney
12/29/10 5:36:11PM
Good for the Iceman. I would've like to see him go out with the W, but I am glad he decided to stop letting himself get knocked out trying.
jae_1833
12/29/10 5:46:45PM
Now that's taking care of your boys! Good job UFC!!!!
emfleek
12/29/10 5:47:44PM
I knew this day would come eventually. That doesn't mean I have to like it.

Thanks for the memories, Iceman. You're part of the reason I love this d*mn sport so much.

mattjonesy
12/29/10 6:15:07PM
Just one more overhand right please!
I still got a sneaky feeling of one more fight though. Congrats Liddell what an amazing career
RyanC
12/29/10 6:27:18PM
Congratulations to Chuck. He's literally the reason I started watching MMA, and it's now my favorite sport. I'm sorry to see his career end, but it was time, and you can never take away all the memories. I'm happy that he's moving on to a new and exciting chapter in his career, and I'm guessing he's making an obscene amount of money doing it. Thanks for the memories Chuck.
prozacnation1978
12/29/10 6:43:07PM
Glad he retired
I will miss him fighting. But I am thankful to see him a few times live
RearNakedJoke
12/29/10 9:29:41PM
He may not have won his last fight but he put on a great performance!
Sam_Rothstein
12/29/10 10:48:39PM
Nice to see UFC is gonna take care of him with what I assume will be a nice money making job for the iceman.

Would be cool to have an office full of old ufc vets lol. Tank Abbots somewhere getting drunk trying to work a fax machine right now
scpd400
12/29/10 10:55:36PM
I will miss the edge of my seat fights. Good luck Chuck
kaskd
12/30/10 2:13:59AM
Dang, I still wanted to see him fight. Oh well he made a great decision. Props to the UFC for still supporting one of the men that made this organization what it is and providing him a secure financial future.