UFC 99, Chuck Liddell Vs Randy Couture @ HW, In Germany - June 2009

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » UFC 99, Chuck Liddell Vs Randy Couture @ HW, In Germany - June 2009
Next Page »
MMAcca
11/22/08 9:30:55PM
A strong source indicates to Bloody Elbow that Chuck Liddell is currently in negotiations to move to heavyweight in order to fight Randy Couture. The proposed fight would take place on June 13th in Cologne, Germany.

The UFC wants to have Randy on their Germany show because he speaks the language and can do all the promotion. The winner of the fight would face the heavyweight champion in a big fight at the end of the year.

Couture is uninterested in moving down to 205 where Forrest Griffin is champion and Wanderlei Silva is also a contender. Both are close to him and in his camp, and weight cutting takes a toll at his age. Given his status, they aren't going to have him fight guys like Cheick Kongo, it is only big fights for Couture at this stage.

LINK
juanez13
11/22/08 9:40:03PM
I'd like to see it happen..... If Chuck beats Randy again, and Brock loses to Nog i'd also like to see Chuck vs Brock lol
Shawn91111
11/22/08 9:41:33PM
What if Randy beats Chuck, then thats 2-2 would there be a #5?
Poohbah
11/22/08 9:43:37PM
Randy can't cut 15 pound??? Strange.

I can't imagine Chuck will look all that impressive as a heavyweight. He may look more like the snowman than the iceman.
Rush
11/22/08 9:45:01PM
If this fight is true, it doesn't make any sense to me.
aaa9erh8er
11/22/08 9:45:32PM
there would have to be a fith if he won. has chuck ever fought a HW before i wonder what hed look like as a HW
MMAcca
11/22/08 9:48:51PM

Posted by Rush

Dana wants to crack the European market and he's gonna use two of his biggest names to do so. Also, MMA is huge in Germany and with Randy speaking the language this will be huge after a bit of promotion.

That's my take on it anyway....
juanez13
11/22/08 9:50:09PM

Posted by Rush

why not? like the article says, Given his status, they aren't going to have him fight guys like Cheick Kongo, it is only big fights for Couture at this stage. There is no point on trying to build Couture as a contender again, given that he probably has a few fights left. And with Chuck's age also catching up to him, and its gonna take alot of fights for him to get back into title contention at 205.

Given in the situation both guys are right now, I think this fight makes perfect sense right now.
jae_1833
11/22/08 9:59:04PM
I understand the "business reasoning" behind this fight, but I have no real interest in it....it just means that Chuck and Randy will not have to cut weight for it. They both have to for fights at 205 lbs. Plus I think Chuck settled it last time, no fluke...just a good old fashioned KO. Besides it's not good for either of them to get another loss at this point!!! Lastly.....nobody should need more than 3 fights to figure out which is the best....no matter what level your at in the game!!!
Jackelope
11/22/08 10:06:07PM
Perfect, I move away from Germany and a year later they have a fight card just down the road from my old stomping grounds!

I would have loved to have seen a UFC card in Koln!
cmill21
11/22/08 10:07:06PM
So if Chuck wins he gets a title shot at HW? I guess it makes sense since they have 3 big name HW's now...

EDIT: I think Chucks to small to be very dangerous to the top HW's. Rampage made him look small, and he's not a relly big LHW so I just think he'll be to small if he faces guys like Lesnar, Nog, Cain, Mir ect.
wapttn
11/22/08 10:09:09PM
Huge matchup and I'm not sure if it should be a main event cause its only 3 rounds, but pair this up with a title fight and you have the foundation for an amazing card. I personally think that with looking more and more human with each fight... and randy seeing some strategy in how you can beat chuck from previous fights, it'll be hard to pick a favourite.

I'm not sure if either of them will bulk up for this fight or just have it at hw so they can avoid the weight cut but that could play into this as well because this is technically liddels first hw fight right?

This also sets up some seriously interesting situations in the hw division.. not only do you bail out liddel from the increasingly hard to reach title shot, you put him right into the mix for the hw title. I'm assuming that Nog will beat Mir primarily based on Mir's comments during and after the coaches challenge so with that sets up Mir and Lesnar. I'm assuming that Lesnar will smash on Nog for a few rounds and eventually get caught in something which sets up...

Nog vs Liddel... I dont know if Nog will be able to sub liddel just because he wont be able to get him to the ground... liddel will want nothing to do with Nog's guard if he pulls it, and I dont think Nog can get the takedown... with that said, i think liddel has better striking and Nog doesnt have the power to get the KO.

Nog vs Couture... very very interesting fight... this is a matchup i'd love to see and its one where randy's game plan will actually have a chance and probably have a huge impact

Lesnar vs Couture... i dont see that changing...

Lesnar vs Liddel... not sure about this one. Tito was one of the best takedown guys in the sport and liddel made him look foolish. Can liddel at his size sprawl lesnar? sketchy... leaning towards no. If he cant, i dont think liddel is gonna have much of a chance getting out from under lesnar. If he can... liddel has long ass arms and will definately out strike lesnar and bang him with some hard shots. We'll get to see what kind of chin lesnar has and what happens when he cant get the td.

When i first heard about this matchup going down... i assumed it would be at lhw... which wasnt too appealing just cause neither of them are at all close to a title shot, but this makes things real interesting... good job joe silva
backalley101
11/22/08 10:12:15PM

Posted by Rush

voodoo-jitsu
11/22/08 10:46:47PM
i couldnt care less
Wolfenstein
11/22/08 10:59:01PM
Hopefully it's not true, as I felt the third fight provided plenty of closure to the trilogy.

I understand the reasoning...both fighters coming off losses...two big superstars at a new venue. I didn't realize that Couture speaks German, so that is always a plus to speak the native language.

It's not a fight I'm personally interested in seeing, as I don't think either fighter has a lot on the line win or lose. I would like to see Chuck move up to HW as I think he could do really well there. I think right now the UFC is just putting feelers out there to see what kind of interest a 4th match can generate. I think they're going to get an emphatic no from the harcore audience.
jae_1833
11/22/08 11:13:23PM
If anything goes on with Chuck's weight, it should be a drop to 185, he's kind of fat. Liddell would match up well with the fighters in the MW div too.....Belcher, Leben, McFedries, Herman, Day, Bisping, Kampmann, Quarry, Cote, Almeida, Maia, Palhares, Leites.....I don't think any of them could put a hurtin' on Chuck....Marquardt, Okami, and Silva are the only guys I could see giving Chuck any problems. I bet they would even give him an immediate title shot just because of his noteriety, and the fact that they need good match ups with Silva to make that $$$ before he retires.
MMAcca
11/22/08 11:14:25PM
This fight isn't about furthering either fighter's career, getting a title shot or anything like that. This fight is all about using two of the biggest names the sport has ever seen and contiuing to build and expand the UFC brand as much as possible.
MMAcca
11/22/08 11:18:54PM

Posted by jae_1833

If anything goes on with Chuck's weight, it should be a drop to 185, he's kind of fat. Liddell would match up well with the fighters in the MW div too.....Belcher, Leben, McFedries, Herman, Day, Bisping, Kampmann, Quarry, Cote, Almeida, Maia, Palhares, Leites.....I don't think any of them could put a hurtin' on Chuck....Marquardt, Okami, and Silva are the only guys I could see giving Chuck any problems. I bet they would even give him an immediate title shot just because of his noteriety, and the fact that they need good match ups with Silva to make that $$$ before he retires.

I don't think he could make 185. He's got a bit of a pot belly on him, but little fat elsewhere imo
prozacnation1978
11/22/08 11:38:29PM
if this is true then lidell should not be fighting silva in feb he should be fighting a gonzaga or herring in main event
i doubt it's true
Twenty20Dollars
11/22/08 11:40:13PM
Lameeeeeee. But atleast it will draw a crowd overseas
jae_1833
11/22/08 11:40:59PM
Well I don't think he'd make it trying to cut, but if he trained for it he could just weigh less....any professional athlete that can't control his weight isn't a true professional IMO. I doubt he cuts more than 15 lbs to make 205, so if he could get it down to 200 then I'd think the cut would be no prob.

Overall, what I think that your getting at is his age (38-39?) and his ring age...10 years deep with huge fights only for the last 8 or so....makes weight classes and even belts less important than establishing your legacy that takes you into retirement. Chuck, like Hendo and Randy, are probably just past all of that bs...leave it to the young bucks to chase the title, they are looking at retirement now as a real thing.....they need to have the money and investments to last themselves and their families a long time.
RampageOwnedYou
11/22/08 11:53:58PM
yeah, i really dont need to see these two fight again.

Rather see Randy fight Nog or Fedor..
Bloodhound
11/22/08 11:54:06PM
lol i'd figure this match would make more sense at LHW, doubt Liddell will look good at HW
MMAcca
11/23/08 12:02:02AM

Posted by Bloodhound

lol i'd figure this match would make more sense at LHW, doubt Liddell will look good at HW

Not an option. Couture won't drop down, as stated in the link
tuvok500
11/23/08 12:11:10AM
Would be another big PPV for sure, great fight and great business, i like it !!

WAR UFC !!!

HumanTarget
11/23/08 12:16:22AM
Two legends out of their prime riding on losses(KO) who have fought 3 times? ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
BIGKAT
11/23/08 12:32:12AM

Posted by Bloodhound

Chuck walks around at like 225, so heavy weight wont be that big of a problem I wouldn't think.
seanfu
11/23/08 1:38:32AM
I would love to see this fight, I'm not even going to lie. Plus it's much more interesting of a matchup then people are giving it credit for. In the HW division it obviously has a huge impact.

I've never been a Chuck fan even when he was champ, but Chuck fighting Lesnar is a great freakshow, especially where Lesnar is slow on the head movement. And Liddell vs Nog is a GREAT fight. I think there would be a massive buy rate to see him fight for the title at HW.

I love this fight, I don't see why there isn't more love for it.
SpiderSilva
11/23/08 1:39:36AM
ehh I'd still watch but would kind of be disapointed when Chuck KOed him again man Brock rocked Randy anyway I wouldn't mind seeing Chuck beat up Nog then see him get choked out by Nog or see if Lesnar can keep him down
Matimus
11/23/08 2:10:09AM
not interested in this fight at all
Pages: [1] 2