Chuck Liddell Plans to KO Rich Franklin, Wants Tito Ortiz in Return From Surgery

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Chuck Liddell Plans to KO Rich Franklin, Wants Tito Ortiz in Return From Surgery
emfleek
6/4/10 11:28:35AM
After nearly 14 months away from fighting and a series of camps designed to bring him back in pristine condition, legendary UFC star Chuck Liddell is set to return to the octagon at UFC 115 in Vancouver.

Though Liddell (21-7) returned with the expectation of fighting Tito Ortiz at the conclusion of the currently airing season of The Ultimate Fighter, an injury knocked Ortiz out, leaving an opening filled by former middleweight champion Rich Franklin.

In an interview with MMA Fighting, the 40-year-old Liddell spoke about the Ortiz fallout, facing Franklin, changing his lifestyle and whether his June 12 fight is a must-win affair.

LINK
icantthinkofanything
6/4/10 1:12:35PM
No offense to Chuck, but I don't think he's got the same footwork/speed he once had to get inside Rich's range and KO him. IMO

I am picking Rich wins by UD
BlueSkiesBurn
6/4/10 1:52:01PM
Win or lose I still think Dana gives him Tito after all is said and done. Chuck wants him, Tito wants Chuck, I personally don't care, but I mean after all that, you may as well give him what he wants. He's been loyal as hell to the UFC. Reward the man, I say.
BigIP
6/4/10 2:33:09PM
I see Rich KOing Chuck. Ever since Rampage his chin has been suspect. BTW this card sucks is anyone buying it?
isk
6/4/10 4:00:04PM
I still see this as a bad matchup for Rich. His boxing has lately been relegated to setting up his body kicks which, while effective, leave you open for straight counters. Chuck's long limbs and punching power should give Rich problems in that regard.

This is, of course, if Rich sticks with the gameplan he's used in his last 3 fights. It's possible he'll work more solid leg kicks to keep Chuck off balance, but I'd be a little surprised if that happened.

Chuck should also be able to dictate where the fight goes. Rich's strengths lay outside of his wrestling, and Chuck's sprawl remains one of his better assets.

Way I see the fight happening is Rich landing some decent body shots before Chuck finds his range and clips Rich before finishing it via KO/TKO in the first round. I like both guys, and Chuck has seemed vulnerable in his last few fights, but Rich has always had a problem with powerful punchers.
cowcatcher
6/4/10 4:03:49PM

Posted by isk
His boxing has lately been relegated to setting up his body kicks which, while effective, leave you open for straight counters.

chuck is going to have to learn to throw a straight counter before the fight in order to do this though, hes so loopy when punching.
bjj1605
6/4/10 4:15:50PM

Posted by cowcatcher

Posted by isk
His boxing has lately been relegated to setting up his body kicks which, while effective, leave you open for straight counters.

chuck is going to have to learn to throw a straight counter before the fight in order to do this though, hes so loopy when punching.

Are you kidding me? His straight right hand is his best punch IMO. He's knocked guys out with his overhand and his left hook, but it's usually set up with the cross. That's his money punch and it's the one that's going to hurt Rich before Chuck puts him away.

I wish Chuck would drop the Tito thing already. You beat the guy twice, convincingly. He's no longer a contender. If you beat rich look at someone better in the division that could earn you a title shot, if that's what you really still want.
BlueSkiesBurn
6/4/10 4:21:46PM
I'd still want to fight him after putting up with him on TUF. That's just me.
bjj1605
6/4/10 4:23:29PM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

I get that and I get that they have a rivalry. But it doesn't do anything new for his career. He claims that he still has title aspirations and if that's true Tito doesn't fit anywhere into that picture.
cowcatcher
6/4/10 4:25:33PM

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by cowcatcher

Posted by isk

Are you kidding me? His straight right hand is his best punch IMO. He's knocked guys out with his overhand and his left hook, but it's usually set up with the cross. That's his money punch and it's the one that's going to hurt Rich before Chuck puts him away.

I wish Chuck would drop the Tito thing already. You beat the guy twice, convincingly. He's no longer a contender. If you beat rich look at someone better in the division that could earn you a title shot, if that's what you really still want.

ive got to disagree, his money punch and the one seen on most highlights is the big looping overhand right. thats always been his go to.
BlueSkiesBurn
6/4/10 4:34:23PM

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

I get that and I get that they have a rivalry. But it doesn't do anything new for his career. He claims that he still has title aspirations and if that's true Tito doesn't fit anywhere into that picture.

This is true, however, what Chuck wants and what's within the grasp of achievement are two separate matters. Chuck would need a horseshoe, an ankh, a blessing from God, and a lot of BCS style help to win the title at this point in his career. Aside from Machida, 3 out of the 4 top LHW have beat him and beat him convincingly. Rampage beat him convincingly twice. I love Chuck, always will, easily one of my favorite fighters of all times but that's not going to change reality.

The foreseeable future, IMO, could never have Chuck with that belt again. I mean, let's be real, if they move up Anderson, which there's talk of, that just lessens Chuck's chances. If he suffers another devastating KO Dana might tell him to hang it up for good. Tito might be the last fight he gives to Chuck. Maybe a 4th fight with Couture as a final farewell. The surest path to Chuck proving he's back is to beat Franklin, take out Tito and then fight someone like a Jon Jones or Lil Nog.
cowcatcher
6/4/10 4:38:46PM
id really just like to see chuck and CC go at it at this point, but that wont happen. both guys are just shells of themselves and it would be a legends matchup that would be fun to see. i know its off topic, just sayin.
emfleek
6/4/10 4:40:26PM

Posted by cowcatcher

id really just like to see chuck and CC go at it at this point, but that wont happen. both guys are just shells of themselves and it would be a legends matchup that would be fun to see. i know its off topic, just sayin.

On the bright side, neither guy would have to worry about medical bills after the fight. Medicare would surely pay.

zxandu
6/4/10 4:45:26PM
BlueSkiesBurn
6/4/10 4:56:23PM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by cowcatcher

On the bright side, neither guy would have to worry about medical bills after the fight. Medicare would surely pay.

Anything Medicare doesn't pick up the AARP would surely supplement.
prozacnation1978
6/4/10 5:33:42PM
the dude can loss 5 more in a row for all i care but i will never pick against chuck
the man is a legend, glad ll you have finally jumped off his band wagon

i am calling it now

lidell vs tito for end of year show in vegas or ufc 120 main event spike freebie

dana owes us fans one!!!!!!!!!
BlueSkiesBurn
6/4/10 5:47:39PM
This is also a game where points matter. It's not jumping off a bandwagon it's making smart picks where even 5 points can matter in a tight race. I love my Avalanche but I didn't think they had the right team to win the Stanley Cup. I wouldn't have put money on them to do so because it's not a smart pick. I love my Pistons but I didn't pick them to win it all this year because it wasn't a smart pick. Not trying to be a dick I'm just saying that I play to win and bet to win. I've found that betting with your heart isn't the best idea. You have to bet with your head.
sbulldavid
6/4/10 6:02:50PM
Well my head says Franklin is overrated, and should be an easy KO for Chuck, because he's not as explosive as any of the guys Chuck has lost to, and Chuck is still tough when he's the biggest kid on the playground.
warglory
6/4/10 6:15:19PM
Rich is way more technical than Chuck. All everyone needs to do is watch his fight with Keith Jardine to know how this fight is going to end up.
MaxOne
6/4/10 6:24:07PM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

This is also a game where points matter. It's not jumping off a bandwagon it's making smart picks where even 5 points can matter in a tight race. I love my Avalanche but I didn't think they had the right team to win the Stanley Cup. I wouldn't have put money on them to do so because it's not a smart pick. I love my Pistons but I didn't pick them to win it all this year because it wasn't a smart pick. Not trying to be a dick I'm just saying that I play to win and bet to win. I've found that betting with your heart isn't the best idea. You have to bet with your head.

you can win big when you pick with your heart at the right time
BlueSkiesBurn
6/4/10 6:32:33PM
Funnily enough, I almost included that in my post but left it off because it detracted from my point. I know this all too well. I bet $500 money line on Boise St to beat Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl when I was in Vegas that New Years. I knew how good they were and believed in their heart despite being MASSIVE underdogs in that game. I bet with my heart and got HAMMERED for free because I was right.
jae_1833
6/4/10 10:34:35PM
The only way I see a match up of Tito and Chuck having any relavance is iff Chuck losses to Rich, then it's nearly a losser leaves town match IMO.