Chuck Liddell Injured, Out of UFC 85

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Chuck Liddell Injured, Out of UFC 85
Next Page »
Bemin
4/21/08 5:21:45PM
It seems that the curse of Mauricio Rua extends past Shogun himself. MMARated brings us the disappointing news that Chuck Liddell recently sustained an injury and will not be fighting Rashad Evans in the main event of UFC 85 (June 7th, London); Liddell and Evans will supposedly face each other later in the summer. Liddell was originally supposed to fight Rua in UFC 85’s main event, but Rua ruptured his ACL and was replaced by Evans. No other information on Chuck’s condition is available at the moment.

Link
edge0125
4/21/08 5:31:00PM
wow thats crazy
babytater03
4/21/08 5:35:22PM

greeeeaaaaaaaat
ThaAxeMurderer7
4/21/08 5:38:46PM
This sucks. I'm just praying that nobody gets hurt on the Ill Will card b/c I'm going to it. Maybe now they can move Rashad up to fight Thiago Silva as planned from the beginning.
ThePlague
4/21/08 5:43:36PM
Whyyyyyyy?! This is another one of those cursed cards. I just hope Dana pulls it out like he did bringing in GSP when Matt Serra was injured. Who could he bring in for Chuck that would be exciting and have title implications?
ThaAxeMurderer7
4/21/08 5:46:42PM
gsquat is going to be pissed...
thatfedorsohotrightnow
4/21/08 5:47:39PM
Hopefully they can get some talent in quick to save this card. If not make it free on Spike like previous UFC's from England.
bam383
4/21/08 5:48:36PM
Bah, what a shame.

Upon first reading the thread title, I was hoping that when he was healthy, they'd have him move on to fight someone else besides Rashad, but looks like they're trying to keep that match.

Him fighting Rashad makes zero sense to me.
skatenate
4/21/08 5:52:52PM
this really sucks, i was keen to liddell fight again, alwell, just gonna have to wait
wrona666
4/21/08 6:01:54PM
Yeah a buddy of mine trains at the PIT with Chuck and knew about this a few weeks ago....I guess someone shot on Chuck in training and blew his knee out and Chuck was so pissed off he was screaming at the guy and hobbling around trying to kick his ass....
gsquat
4/21/08 6:05:21PM
Balls... Well, I guess Chuck dodged a bullet on this one. (Get a sense of humor all you Chuck-nut-huggers).

But seriously this sucks. Now what? Joe Silva's gonna have to make something magical happen. Who is there for Rashad to fight? Geez, I'm stressed. Worst of all now I have to change my invalid avatar.
candynuts
4/21/08 6:11:19PM
Im not sure how Dana plans to replace this fight.

Maybe realizing there needs to be a main event, he might re-sign AA?
Put AA vs. .... Herring?, or someone for #1 contender in the HW Division?

Have Dan Henderson return and have him fight... someone?
Return of Matt Hughes? (unlikely)

Move a fight from UFC 84 to 85?

I would think it would be likely that UFC 85 will be a FREE event.
hodge
4/21/08 6:15:13PM
Im so pissed worst news possible im going to this event
Lay_N_Pray
4/21/08 6:30:02PM
The only way they can save this match now is if they get Thiago Silva to step in.

I think Silva/Evans would be an awesome alternate match. Other than that, I dont know...
iwannabesedated
4/21/08 6:39:37PM
Well you have a few options at LHW

Hammill
Irvin
Alexander
Boestch
Bonnar

Im sure theres alot more but these just came to mind cause they recently fought and could be ready to go..Other than Bonnar dont know when he will be back..

I think Irvin or Hammill would be an ok replacement.
ufcboss
4/21/08 6:46:53PM
Oh my god, That just unbelievable!

Chuck has already said he doenst want to fight in the UK, So I wonder how 'bad' this injury is??

But this totaly screws that card up, Rashard was already the screw up, And now he is the top name (maybe), All the Main event LHW's are already booked so WTF are they gonna do?

I say just scratch the whole fight, Both guys off the card. They can come up with something better than Rashard Vs ANYONE for the main event, Hopefully UFC78 proved that. UFC cant screw over the UK fans, They where gonna get Liddell V Shogun!!!! They NEED something A Grade!!!!!!

Anderson Silva VS Yushin Okami anyone?

ThePlague
4/21/08 6:51:31PM
I could see them going with Hammill or Irvin, but Thiago is probably the only one who would be fighting for the title any time soon. Bonnar would be great but he's out for quite a few months with (I believe) a ligament injury.

edit: Silva vs. Anyone would totally save this event. I hope they go for that.
EON
4/21/08 6:52:39PM
replace this with....(even with the Liddell fight this card is not worth buying)

Chris Wilson Vs Paul Kelly
or
Andrei Arlovski Vs Heath Herring

DANA MAKE IT FREE DAMNIT !!!!
RMFG_187
4/21/08 6:59:10PM
Tim Boetsch is ALWAYS available.
prozacnation1978
4/21/08 7:01:19PM
i feel for england fans , i really do. they are getting screwed the worst out of this.
isay either makt it a title match the spider vs okami,
or henderson vs someone
or say the hell with it, add paul kelly or someone to the match,
and make this into a free spike pay per view, we are due one, but still i don't know how you would make it up to the england fans unless i say pass out free programs to each one or make the next venue in england this same place and either deck out a hell of a card for them or make the seats cheaper for them. but knowing the ufc they will screw them
juanez13
4/21/08 7:20:41PM
They better make a Free event now
masodd
4/21/08 7:35:09PM
this one should be made free but if anything put hendo back up at LHW and have him man-handle rashad
xphycorx
4/21/08 7:35:12PM
i don't know if tuf7 will be over in time, but how about move up the rampage/griffin fight??
Ordep
4/21/08 7:39:44PM
is Hendo staying at MW??? if yes i have no idea of a good replacement

but they should do Chuck vs Shogun later as it was the original plan
jakeiceman
4/21/08 7:45:08PM
DAMN DAMN DAMN DAMN DAMN!!! I really wish I wouldnt have checked the news today, I didnt want to hear this!! I agree with everyone though, I dont think Liddell vs. Evans was all that stellar of a matchup Liddell was/is going to KO Evans in the first if it happens (chill Liddell haters...ha ha) Anyway I hope this works out so Liddell will face Shogun, I think that is a much more interesting fight...oh well we will see. Its a pretty crappy card now so we will see what happens.
xxdeadpoolxx
4/21/08 7:53:14PM
Huge break for Rashad looks like he will keep his head attached to his shoulders for a little while longer
juanez13
4/21/08 7:57:22PM
Screw Thiago silva Vs Unknown, this was the orginal fight anyways and they should make it. that way shogun can take on chuck when both heal up.

Other possible opponents, Matt Hamill, which in my opinion would own rashard
jakeiceman
4/21/08 7:59:00PM

Posted by xxdeadpoolxx

Huge break for Rashad looks like he will keep his head attached to his shoulders for a little while longer

I agree I cant believe people consider Evans one of the top fighters in the division, he went to a draw with a Tito who didnt care and beat Bisping by decision (and in my opinion it could have went the other way) They guy hasnt faced anyone and thinks he is the shit, it drives me nuts.
Porch28
4/21/08 9:11:32PM

Posted by ThePlague

Whyyyyyyy?! This is another one of those cursed cards. I just hope Dana pulls it out like he did bringing in GSP when Matt Serra was injured. Who could he bring in for Chuck that would be exciting and have title implications?

WANDERLEI!!!!!!
Givershit
4/21/08 9:15:18PM

Posted by juanez13

Screw Thiago silva Vs Unknown, this was the orginal fight anyways and they should make it. that way shogun can take on chuck when both heal up

Add Rashad to UFC 84, get rid of whatever his name is or bump Silva. I'm going to UFC 84 and it wouldn't bother me a bit if he got bumped.

Others: Lil Nog, Hendo, or Arona would be sweet but won't happen.

Edit to 84. You'd think I'd know better since I got tickets and all.

Pages: [1] 2