UFC 88: Chuck Liddell to headline Atlanta PPV event on September 6

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » UFC 88: Chuck Liddell to headline Atlanta PPV event on September 6
Next Page »
Mchubb316
6/7/08 11:03:37PM
Former light heavyweight champion Chuck Liddell will return to action at UFC 88 to headline a pay-per-view (PPV) event at the Philips Arena in Atlanta, Ga., on Saturday, September 6, according to recent statements from promotion president Dana White.

No opponent has been named at this time.

Source
gartface
6/8/08 12:13:11AM
I definitely want to go to this.
xposipx
6/8/08 12:21:25AM

Posted by gartface

I definitely want to go to this.

Nice. If I still lived in Rock Hill or Charlotte I'd definitely be going. Can you imagine the traffic though? Get there as early as possible man!
Twenty20Dollars
6/8/08 12:40:23AM
Opponents: Rashad, Sokoudjou, Thiago Silva, Wilson G, machida?

Im thinking no Shogun because i heard he wasnt going to be able to fight till december. Then maybe shogun could fight sokoudjou.
gartface
6/8/08 1:52:17AM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

Opponents: Rashad, Sokoudjou, Thiago Silva, Wilson G, machida?

Im thinking no Shogun because i heard he wasnt going to be able to fight till december. Then maybe shogun could fight sokoudjou.

I understand all but two of those opponents. Sokoudjou and Wilson don't make sense.
Mayhem13
6/8/08 1:56:30AM
I heard rumors of Anderson Silva...but dont believe them yet.(but it would be cool)

I think he gets a rematch with Jarine..

although Machida or Thiago are the most deserving....or I could see Sokoudjou if he is ready...maybe
jae_1833
6/8/08 2:09:27AM
I think he'd KO Thiago.....Machida could make for a boring fight (too much dancing) a rematch with Jardine could happen, but I don't think Jardine will be cleared by then will he?
gartface
6/8/08 2:22:20AM

Posted by jae_1833

I think he'd KO Thiago.....Machida could make for a boring fight (too much dancing) a rematch with Jardine could happen, but I don't think Jardine will be cleared by then will he?

how long is his suspension?
jae_1833
6/8/08 2:29:58AM
I just looked it up and it actually said he could compete July 24....guess I'm wrong.

link
89vision
6/8/08 4:15:39AM
hope its thiago, i think he would win if he has a good gameplan, machida would win a UD

Wandy rematch is my first choice
jakeiceman
6/8/08 4:50:56AM

Posted by 89vision

hope its thiago, i think he would win if he has a good gameplan, machida would win a UD

Wandy rematch is my first choice

I have to disagree man, Liddell is patient he wouldnt chase Machida around like everyone else does. Machida strikes and runs, it actually bores the hell out of me personally. Liddell is a counter puncher, Machida would dance, Liddell would wait and when the two exchanged Liddell would knock his damn lights out, the only thing Machida has to his advantage is youth, his kicks are better but Liddell's hands carry alot more power than machida's. As far as Thiago goes, he is a great fighter but he is not at Liddells calibre just yet, he wouldnt take him down and Liddell would still have the adavantage standing up but thats just my opinon (obviously I am biased) I think Liddell/ Machida goes to a UD or late stoppage for Liddell and Liddell/Silva ends in an early KO for Liddell.

I have t o agree though Wandy/Liddell 2 would be an awesome matchup, I hope it happens soon.
MMAcca
6/8/08 6:06:22AM
I hope it's a Jardine rematch the most. That loss will be eating away at Chuck and i think he will want to avenge it as soon as possible.
StPierreCanada
6/8/08 10:03:53AM
I agree. Best fight would be W. Silva who just redemed himself, vs Liddell again who's comeing off a wim against W. Silva

Silva vs Liddell 2.

Huge ratings!
hodge
6/8/08 10:08:09AM
I went to UFC 85 on saturday an ohh man Chuck looked like hed been binge eating since he got injured he was massive. LOL
D0wnUnd6e6r
6/8/08 10:13:43AM
yeah i'd like to see wandy drop chucky this time
prozacnation1978
6/8/08 11:42:55AM
i say rashad evans doubt it will be shogun
jae_1833
6/8/08 1:24:42PM
My whole thing with Wand is that it won't help the guy out right now....in fact if he losses it could make him look real bad and Wand doesn't deserve that! Let Wand get a couple of Ws in the UFC and rebuild his casual fanbase before the rematch. Chuck can take on any number of guys right now ....you all already said Machida, Thiago, Rashad, but why not some other guys as well. Remember more guys than Chuck deserve a chance to move up the ranks and into a title shot. Let's see Chuck v Irvin, Jardine, Cain, Soko, or even Hammil. I know he should destroy all of those guys but it gives some time for us too see Rampage defend his belt at least one more time after Forrest (so long as he wins), it also gives us a chance to see if maybe one of these other guys are ready for the big time, or if they should stay on the undercards.
jakeiceman
6/8/08 2:12:33PM

Posted by jae_1833

My whole thing with Wand is that it won't help the guy out right now....in fact if he losses it could make him look real bad and Wand doesn't deserve that! Let Wand get a couple of Ws in the UFC and rebuild his casual fanbase before the rematch. Chuck can take on any number of guys right now ....you all already said Machida, Thiago, Rashad, but why not some other guys as well. Remember more guys than Chuck deserve a chance to move up the ranks and into a title shot. Let's see Chuck v Irvin, Jardine, Cain, Soko, or even Hammil. I know he should destroy all of those guys but it gives some time for us too see Rampage defend his belt at least one more time after Forrest (so long as he wins), it also gives us a chance to see if maybe one of these other guys are ready for the big time, or if they should stay on the undercards.

well said!
Ordep
6/8/08 2:21:05PM
make it Chuck vs Thiago and Wand vs Machida same card cuz I'm going and I'm not interested to see Rashad wasting 15minutes of the event and my $$
Greene33
6/8/08 4:46:07PM
Machida would be great, Jardine rematch or Evans would be all good.
Budgellism
6/8/08 5:03:11PM
A Wandy Rematch would actually be amazing and it would definetely be headlining material... Any of fight would not be headlining material....
kurt-2112
6/8/08 5:25:31PM
Liddell vs. Silva 2 would be great

Liddell vs. Shogun would be gret
roman
6/8/08 5:52:06PM

Posted by Mayhem13

I heard rumors of Anderson Silva...but dont believe them yet.(but it would be cool)

I think he gets a rematch with Jarine..

although Machida or Thiago are the most deserving....or I could see Sokoudjou if he is ready...maybe

I heard the same rumors. I said once they announce it I will believe it.
ThaAxeMurderer7
6/8/08 6:37:45PM

Posted by jae_1833

I completely disagree with you. The only one I can see Chuck beating decisively is Sokoudjou. The days of Chuck completely running through people are long gone.
legalbuddy
6/8/08 7:30:56PM
I hope its Machida
jakeiceman
6/8/08 7:36:22PM

Posted by ThaAxeMurderer7

Posted by jae_1833

I completely disagree with you. The only one I can see Chuck beating decisively is Sokoudjou. The days of Chuck completely running through people are long gone.

And this is because he lost to Rampage (who would kill any of the above mentioned) and had a shitty fight against Jardine?? So I guess now every up and comer can beat him. People forget forget how dominant Liddell was, its funny Wandy drops three in a row (one being to Liddell) and finally gets a win and everyone is talking about how he is rback on track and how he should be fighting for the title???? Its all good because I like Wandy but just because Liddell hasnt tore through his last three opponents it doesnt mean he cant and wont again. Thiago wouldnt beat Liddell, Machida wouldnt and Sokoudjou sure as hell wouldnt.
snakeplissken
6/9/08 3:38:22AM
When Rich Franklin announces that he is going upto LHW it will be him who faces the ICeman...
Red-Dragon
6/9/08 11:22:03AM

Posted by jakeiceman

Posted by jae_1833

And this is because he lost to Rampage (who would kill any of the above mentioned) and had a shitty fight against Jardine?? So I guess now every up and comer can beat him. People forget forget how dominant Liddell was, its funny Wandy drops three in a row (one being to Liddell) and finally gets a win and everyone is talking about how he is rback on track and how he should be fighting for the title???? Its all good because I like Wandy but just because Liddell hasnt tore through his last three opponents it doesnt mean he cant and wont again. Thiago wouldnt beat Liddell, Machida wouldnt and Sokoudjou sure as hell wouldnt.

Wow you really are a Liddell nuthugger arnt you. How can you be so sure that Thiago and Machida wont beat Chuck? You said in a previous post that the only thing Machida has on Chuck is youth Machida is a better striker and has a better ground game with a brown belt in BJJ. All Chuck has is a hard punch and good takedown defence.
jakeiceman
6/9/08 2:23:19PM

Posted by Red-Dragon

Posted by jakeiceman

Posted by jae_1833

Wow you really are a Liddell nuthugger arnt you. How can you be so sure that Thiago and Machida wont beat Chuck? You said in a previous post that the only thing Machida has on Chuck is youth Machida is a better striker and has a better ground game with a brown belt in BJJ. All Chuck has is a hard punch and good takedown defence.

Yes, I really am....have you been paying attention??? I agree with you Machida is a better technical striker but he has NO power in his hands ( knees and kicks sure) I know Machida is good on the ground like you said, but he wouldnt get the fight there, Chuck has gone against better BJJ guys than Machida, and none of them have been able to submit him so what makes you think Machida will???
KYGUY07
6/9/08 3:22:37PM

Posted by jae_1833

I completely disagree with you. The only one I can see Chuck beating decisively is Sokoudjou. The days of Chuck completely running through people are long gone. [/QUOTE

yeah i definetelydont see chuck running through people anymore
Pages: [1] 2