Chuck Liddell vs Forrest Griffin

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Chuck Liddell vs Forrest Griffin
POLL: Chuck Liddell vs Forrest Griffin
Chuck Liddell 61% (33)
Forrest Griffin 39% (21)
Draw 0% (0)
hammerhead1
8/21/08 12:09:31PM
If Chuck Liddell beat Rashad Evans than he will fight Forrest Griffin for the Light Heavyweight title if he loses that has to be the biggest upset in ufc history and if Chuck Liddell wins he has to fight forrest griffin if he doesn't that is dumb
The_Italian_Stallion
8/21/08 12:43:59PM
I think this would be the greatest marketed fight in the history of MMA.

Think about it... Chuck was Forrest's coach on TUF!

The slogan would go something like: x amount of years ago Chuck Liddell taught Forrest Griffin everything he knew. Today Forrest Griffin is the LHW Champion of the World and his former teacher is looking to take that away. Will the teacher beat the student, or will the student surpass the teacher... Find out at UFC whatever.
ufcboss
8/21/08 1:44:56PM
Forrest himself said that Liddell is a bad match up for him, But I think that would make him train harder, If this fight happens (Ball is in Liddell's court) imo Forrest will wipe the floor with Chuck, And thats hard to say being two of my favorite fighters.

Kinda just like Shogun and Rampage, He would break Chuck...............Go on, Tell me it wont happen, Ive heard it before! TWICE!!!!!!!
bullettdodger
8/21/08 2:06:29PM

Posted by ufcboss

Forrest himself said that Liddell is a bad match up for him, But I think that would make him train harder, If this fight happens (Ball is in Liddell's court) imo Forrest will wipe the floor with Chuck, And thats hard to say being two of my favorite fighters.

Kinda just like Shogun and Rampage, He would break Chuck...............Go on, Tell me it wont happen, Ive heard it before! TWICE!!!!!!!

I agree with you completely he would break Chuck, through a war of attrition.
dannyfrank
8/21/08 2:31:00PM
god i really dont know who to choose on this one
jiujitsufreak74
8/21/08 2:32:11PM
i honestly can't bring myself to doubt Forrest ever again...
emfleek
8/21/08 2:34:39PM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

i honestly can't bring myself to doubt Forrest ever again...

Exactly! Never again will I doubt him. However, I would not be pulling for him in a fight w/Chuck.
juanez13
8/21/08 2:39:49PM
Yea I'd pick Chuck to win, But wouldnt be surprised if Forrest won.

Forrest does have a great chance, his style is pick his shots and move, and gameplan like he had for Page could work against Chuck (similar to jardine's gameplan against Chuck), especially since Chuck rarely checks kicks.
masodd
8/21/08 2:58:19PM
Tough,good fight but i just think chuck catches him in the second or so. If it goes all rounds then forrest wins. Good fight tho
MikeyG
8/21/08 3:20:16PM
I gotta say I've doubted Forrest and I still dont think hes the best at LH but Chuck is the perfect fight for him, Forrest is just being modest saying that its a good matchup for him, Chuck is going to have to try and land a bomb where as Forrest can walk around him and pick his shots and take the fight right out of him like Rampage and Randy did. I actually hope Rashad beats Chuck, out with the old in with the new.
stock
8/21/08 4:27:36PM
I think I would have to pick Forrest by UD.
When he is cautious he seems nearly impossible to beat. However, if he comes in aggressive like he did against Jardine, I see the fight going the same way the Jardine fight went.

I don't see either fighter being the aggressor in this fight, and may turn out to be just as boring as a fight between Machida and either one of these guys.
seanfu
8/21/08 6:43:27PM
If Chuck pulls this off you have a matchup similar to the Rampage fight where the pace is lower and the fighters are more tentative but there's a sense that something explosive and finishing could happen at any moment.

Gotta go with Chuck simply due to 5 rounds and no way that Forest is taking him down or finishing him and Chucky is famous for only needing to connect once.
Meg
8/21/08 6:47:24PM
I wouldn't even know who to pick but this would be a dream for me to see. I'd probably lean towards Forrest but I don't even think I could be disappointed with whatever the outcome would be.
nickcuc547
8/21/08 7:04:48PM
i think liddell will ko forrest, but i also thought the same thing in his last two fights and i came out looking like a complete idiot.
JDP_6375
8/21/08 10:24:33PM
Don't think the biggest upset ever if he loses. You do remember Matt Serra vs. GSP (I do b/c I was broke the next day) Forrest I think would be able to take Chuck to the ground and work on him. Regarless of what accouncers say Chuck is garbage on the ground. Forrest by UD & he will beat Chuck the same way he beat Rampage. FORREST-FORREST-FORREST !!!
mkiv9secsupra
8/21/08 10:54:45PM

Posted by JDP_6375
Forrest I think would be able to take Chuck to the ground and work on him

Boo_Radley21
8/21/08 11:51:43PM
Forrest will be able to do it, but it's close. Chuck does have that knockout power, but so does Rampage, and we saw how quickly Forrest can recover after he got knocked down by an uppercut in the second. That would been it for most guys but Forrest immediately pulled guard and was able to recover and get back to work after a while. That's the reason I think he'd beat Chuck. He'll be able to make it through most of the striking IMO, and the leg kicks will be a huge factor in this fight I think, just like when Chuck fought Jardine. It's gonna be a great fight, Forrest just has to pick his shots and fight like he did against Rampage. Forrest by UD.
Bumpy
8/28/08 4:27:28PM
I like them both and never cout forest out, but I think chuck would take him.
AftaabehEshk
8/28/08 7:18:23PM
Foorest will win a decision or submit him. Chuck looked very vulnerable in spots against Wandy and fought flat and had a bad game plan against Jardine. I have not seen Chuck look great since he fought Tito. And how can people call it one of the greatest upsets ever. Forrest is the LHW champ and this year has beat Rampage and Shogun. Its laughable to look at it as an upset its a pickem fight.
mkiv9secsupra
8/28/08 9:14:23PM

Posted by AftaabehEshk

Foorest will submit him.

im just curious.....how do you expect Forrest to submit Chuck if he cant take him down? A flying heelhook or armbar maybe?

I would expect this fight to go exactly like Jardine vs Forrest. Forrest would pick Chuck aprat but Forrest doesnt have the toughest chin in the world and the power chuck has would probly KO when he landed that one shot somewhere in the first or second round.
Pitbull09
8/28/08 11:54:27PM
Chuck wins. He then fights Wanderlei and if Wanderlei wins, it will be Jackson v. Wanderlei.

This is a great fight to market. TUF 1 got Forrest this far and I doubt Chuck thought that would happen. Also Forrest trains with Couture now so he is in very very good hands for this matchup. It may be closer than Im expecting but Liddell should still take it.
roger
8/31/08 12:09:39AM
i think forrest griffin will beat out the decision like he did with rampage