Chuck Liddell eyes fall return, title shot

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Chuck Liddell eyes fall return, title shot
SmileR
5/19/08 11:09:58AM
Forced to withdraw from the main event of UFC 85 due to a torn hamstring, fan favorite Chuck "The Iceman" Liddell (21-5 MMA, 16-3 UFC) is now looking to return to the octagon in early fall. And although an opponent has not been determined, Liddell feels a win would earn him a shot at the light-heavyweight title he lost a year ago.

Liddell discussed his return while a recent guest on TAGG Radio (www.taggradio.com), a content partner of MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).

"It wasn't very fun," Liddell said regarding the injury. "But I've been doing rehab on it, and it's been going real well. I'm hoping to be back fighting in late summer, early fall. You know, September or November."

The latest officially announced UFC date is UFC 87, on Aug. 9 in Minneapolis, Minn. Liddell ruled that date out, stating it was "too early."

Once a date has been determined, Liddell and the UFC can work on arranging a match-up. The 38-year-old would still be willing to take on his original opponent, Mauricio "Shogun" Rua, provided the Brazilian recovers from his own knee injury in time.

"It's a possibility," Liddell said of the bout. "If he's healthy and I'm healthy, it's a fight that makes sense."

Regardless whom Liddell ends up facing, the ex-champion feels a victory should be enough to earn him a shot to reclaim the title.

"I've been ready to fight the champion for a long time," Liddell said. "(If) I win in the fall, I think I deserve a title shot."

Liddell is also anxious to avenge his two most recent losses, to light heavyweight champion Quinton "Rampage" Jackson, and the rapidly improving Keith Jardine.

Link
juanez13
5/19/08 11:18:12AM
WTF is with Liddell and his Title Shot, he is 1-2 in his last 3 fights, and he beat a guy who was 0-2 (no disrespect to wandy), not to mention he is 0-2 against the champ.

If Jardine beats wandy, and Machida Beats Tito, and chuck gets the shot before they do im gonna be pissed. however if they both loose than i wouldnt see a problem chuck getting the shot, Hopefully shogun beats him though, i'd love to see page vs Shogun 2.
bullettdodger
5/19/08 11:50:31AM

Posted by juanez13

WTF is with Liddell and his Title Shot, he is 1-2 in his last 3 fights, and he beat a guy who was 0-2 (no disrespect to wandy), not to mention he is 0-2 against the champ.

If Jardine beats wandy, and Machida Beats Tito, and chuck gets the shot before they do im gonna be pissed. however if they both loose than i wouldnt see a problem chuck getting the shot, Hopefully shogun beats him though, i'd love to see page vs Shogun 2.

couldn't have put it better
prozacnation1978
5/19/08 12:08:30PM
no way for a title shot,
if he does fight and say gets a title shot that would put it say feb of 09
so would that mean rampage or griffin doesn't fight till then given they both haven't fought in over 10 months 2 fights in 17 months?? i doubt it
if anything winner of rampage/ griffin fights again in fall/dec against jardine or machida with possible winner than fighting lidell in may 09 that is if he beats shogun.
what's with these guys, time is of a issue, your not getting any younger, you should wanna fight as much as you can don't wait 2 years to get another title shot.
thatfedorsohotrightnow
5/19/08 12:12:18PM

Posted by juanez13

See the problem is you made the mistake of thinking that you are watching a sport. So if Brock gets by Coleman does that mean he gets the winner of Nog/Mir?

I won't bitch too much if Liddell gets the next shot as long as it isn't another TUF delay of six months. God that is terrible that I will excuse a shot for some one undeserving so long as we don't get the much feared TUF delay.

PS You guys do know that Fedor isn't even top 10 right?
mikevolz
5/19/08 12:33:46PM
i wouldnt mind if he got a title shot, id enjoy watching him get his skull bashed in again. but then again i like chuck as much as i like english cuisine.
mrsmiley
5/19/08 2:44:07PM

Posted by bullettdodger

Posted by juanez13

couldn't have put it better