Chuck Liddell chose to Fight Jardine.

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Chuck Liddell chose to Fight Jardine.
Next Page »
Twenty20Dollars
7/28/07 11:50:05AM
Link
Little suprising
Stickan
7/28/07 12:16:24PM
The least dangerous fight for Chuck. The only problem is that he now has everything to lose on this. If Jardine who comes off an almost embarrassing loss beats or knocks out Liddell his days as being considered top 5 in the LHW division are numbered.
If Nakamura or Shogun beat him the UFC could claim these guys to be monsters who no one should be ashamed of losing to and then starting promoting them as such and Liddell would still be considered a warrior among the casual fans.
Same with Lyoto. The guy is undefeated and there's no shame in losing to an undefeated up and comer when you're 37 years old.

Jardine just got layed out and embarrassed on the main card of a PPV so I don't see what Chuck could gain from beating him....
Twenty20Dollars
7/28/07 12:25:04PM
I mean I would have rather seen Lyoto vs Chuck but Jardine vs Chuck is still fine for me because Jardine does have some knock out and could possibly catch chuck.

The only thing I see chuck gaining from this fight is his confidence back and I guess it somewhat moves him up in the rankings with a win. You know like some guys for example matt hughes beat this guy you got a title shot. So maybe chuck see's this as a win and a closer easier way back to the title.

Oh also chuck may have taken this fight because he wanted to fight in November too and maybe jardine is his best way to have that happen.
Fedor-Emelianenko
7/28/07 1:45:20PM
Liddell most likely took an "easy" fight because he plans for a tougher opponent later this year and will need to be in his best condition without any injuries for that fight. Liddell vs. Jardine is 99% a safe fight for Liddell to take.
DJDark41
7/28/07 1:49:59PM
I think he just wants to start slow getting back to the top. No sense in going straight for a Top 10 opponent after getting KTFO'd in the first round. It was a smart move picking a guy who was a striker. I think we will see Liddell start fighting more and more strikers on his way back up(or on his way to retirement)in preparation to fight the best LHW strikers like Shogun and Rampage.
JuggaloRyda5666
7/28/07 1:54:09PM
liddell would beat lyoto and nakamura anyways
JuggaloWarrior878
7/28/07 1:56:28PM
liddell is going to make a statement about this just like franklin did, saying the ufc told him those are the fights on the table then the ufc decided jardine would be best., plus im pretty sure liddell would win against lyoto via decision and nakamura probably decision too.but the ufc probably wants chuck to highlight reel ko jardine so they can remind everyone that chuck is still a badass and keep him very marketable.
cmill21
7/28/07 2:02:09PM

Posted by JuggaloRyda5666

I'd pick Machida....as for this article.....wooooooow.
Gladiator
7/28/07 2:35:06PM
the only thing i dont like about this article is that it makes it out to sound like chuck ducked wanderlei instead of wanderlei ducking chuck, when in truth neither ducked each other. wanderlei's reasons for not fighting chuck in december were that he had a lot going on in his life now and couldnt focus on the fight completely, which is completely understandable and IMO better in the long run. the article makes it sound like chuck ducked wanderlei by picking jardine but how do they know that chuck picked jardine after the wanderlei fight fell through? as for chuck picking jardine instead of lyoto... that is surprising but chuck has always been one to just get back into the game ASAP and im sure he just didnt want to risk ruining his career, cuz if he loses his next fight we can just forget about him and wanderlei ever happening.
Twenty20Dollars
7/28/07 3:01:54PM
No I dont think it sounds like Chuck ducked Silva, because I think chuck picked jardine after he knew the silva fight was going to be off. But hey think of it like this jardine could KO chuck but think if chuck doesnt get hurt in this fight maybe we could see Liddell fight again In November verus Silva or Machida. or someone.
Piccosaur
7/28/07 3:06:46PM
The original source is MMAscoops.com? I don't even believe this and I won't untill it's on a great source. Usually fighters have no say in who their fighting after they come off of a loss.
LHK
7/28/07 3:22:22PM
Liddell is a pro fighter. Its mostly Dana's fault he was a paper champion, not his own, he wants to prove himself like any other fighter. I think Dana is to blame in this case as well. He offered Silva a September or November fight date. Silva took Nov. Neither fighter ducked.

And Nakamura and Lyoto could both take Liddell. They are much better technical fighters and Chuck has been exposed several times now. He has one dimension and it only works against wrestlers. And why doubt Machida? Hasn't he ALWAYS done what he had to do regardless of his opponent. He should be the favorite against anyone....if he was fighting Shogun that is the hardest pick.
warglory
7/28/07 4:07:07PM

Posted by LHK

Liddell is a pro fighter. Its mostly Dana's fault he was a paper champion, not his own, he wants to prove himself like any other fighter. I think Dana is to blame in this case as well. He offered Silva a September or November fight date. Silva took Nov. Neither fighter ducks, Dana is just an idiot.

And Nakamura and Lyoto could both take Liddell. They are much better technical fighters and Chuck has been exposed several times now. He has one dimension and it only works against wrestlers. And why doubt Machida? Hasn't he ALWAYS done what he had to do regardless of his opponent. He should be the favorite against anyone....if he was fighting Shogun that is the hardest pick.

Paper champ? Riiiiiight.
JWils
7/28/07 4:13:27PM

Posted by LHK

Liddell is a pro fighter. Its mostly Dana's fault he was a paper champion, not his own, he wants to prove himself like any other fighter. I think Dana is to blame in this case as well. He offered Silva a September or November fight date. Silva took Nov. Neither fighter ducks, Dana is just an idiot.

Liddell was no paper champ...... he knocked out everyone they put in front of him. He beat some very good fighters. BabaluX2, Couture X2, Ortiz X2, & Horn.

I will give you the fact that he might have gotten a little sloppy with his technique since he has fought so many "wrestlers". Give all the credit to Rampage for taking advantage of a mistake. Liddell will be back. I'm looking forward to seeing him make a run at the title again.
zephead
7/28/07 4:23:48PM

Posted by LHK

Liddell is a pro fighter. Its mostly Dana's fault he was a paper champion, not his own, he wants to prove himself like any other fighter. I think Dana is to blame in this case as well. He offered Silva a September or November fight date. Silva took Nov. Neither fighter ducked.

Paper Champion??? He fought everyone who was someone in the UFC. He fought for the UFC. But he also went to pride and fought. He was 2-1 in Pride. BOth victory's were gainst strikers. Please explain to me how he wa a paper champion when he fought what the UFC had to offer.

You don't have to like Chuck. But I read post after post from you where you are putting down the UFC, Chuck, or Dana. It gets really old dude. There are rules against fighter bashing or promoter bashing. Read the Code of Conduct rule #2.

I really don't think that Nakamura or Lyoto could take Chuck. But then again that's just my opinion so please don't call be a idiot, stupid or dumb
hippysmacker
7/28/07 8:25:39PM

Posted by cmill21

Posted by JuggaloRyda5666

I'd pick Machida....as for this article.....wooooooow.

I think first we should all consider the source. 2nd accoring to the article Chuck chose Jardine AFTER Wandy pulled out. here is the quote from it.

After Wanderlei Silva pulled out of the fight with Liddell, Chuck was presented with four possible opponents. Keith Jardine, "Shogun" Rua, Kazuhiro Nakamura, and Lyoto Machida. Based on several factors, including popularity and familiarity, the decision was made to go with Jardine.

This and Wandy wanting more time to move are both non-stories to me. I think they want to fight each other , and will, after Chuck beats Jardine.
LHK
7/28/07 8:35:11PM
Wandy never PULLED OUT of any fight in his life. He never agreed to fight in September, how could he have pulled out? He wanted to fight chuck in Nov which was an option Dana presented, and he chose. Then Dana, being as classless as he usually is, made it seem like Wandy was ducking chuck.

And I never bashed the UFC...they always has "some" good/great fighters, just in general were an inferior org compared to Pride. This is not even a real issue anymore.

As far as Liddell being a paper champ, what strikers has he defended his belt against? Exactly, none. I never said he never faced strikers (although he hasn't faced a top striker EVER, or top fighter for that matter), just as champion he was given easy fights...that's what a paper champ is, and once again I'm not bashing him, it's not his fault, it's Dana's. And it's also not his fault the UFC didn't have any top 10 LHWs for him to face...although I think Dana probably kept the division shallow so his posterboy could reign supreme. Rampage was not a top fighter in Pride (definitely top 10, but not at the top), and look he beat Liddell pretty easily both times. And he's not even a striker...he's a pretty well-rounded grappler.
hippysmacker
7/28/07 9:10:35PM
I'm not saying Wandy is ducking Chuck, just that he turned down the september fight. I even defende his right to do so. I think they will fight later. If Rampage wasn't a top fighter in pride how did he make it to the GP finals, and then get a second shot at Wandy? He was ahead in one of the fights ( don't remeber which at the moment) , and Wandy to his credit made a great comeback. Personally I thought Wandy had ruined his once hot career( and confidence) with his knees. I think I was wrong now, and the people he is training with are making him realize his potential. Wandy may still have his number, and rampage may still have Chucks. Still, we wont know unless they fight again.As for not fighting anyone, he beat Couture twice, Babalu twice,Vitor when it still mattered, Tito twice, Overeem, Metzger, Bustamante. I think Couture would always and still would beat Wandy. This doesn't mean Wandy isn't all-time great, he is to me.I just think Styles make fights, and Randy's would beat Wandy. So far Wandy's has beat Rampage, Rampage's has beat Chuck, Tito/Hendo/Arona's has bet Wandy. Throw in Randy beat Chuck once and it all means anybody can win on a given day, and fighter's evolve over time. This is all academic now because I believe they all will fight each other now with the merger. So let's all just be happy about that.
LHK
7/28/07 10:15:45PM
Wandy NEVER TURNED DOWN the sep fight. He was presented with 2 options, he chose November. How is that turning down, thats picking from options!

And Rampage made it to finals against Wandy by beating Liddell, who is not a top fighter, therefore that doesn't automatically make Rampage a top fighter. And like I said, he's a "top" fighter, but not the creme of the crop. Wandy, Shogun, Ninja (not even a LHW), are all ahead of him.

Your absolutely right about styles making fights. And every grappler Liddell defended against was tailor-made for him. And I was talking about Liddell being a PAPER CHAMP...his fights before that have nothing to do with it. Yes, he faced some decent opposition, no one top 10 besides maybe Vitor, and we all know how off/on he is. It's not like Liddell caught him with a lucky hook and put him out, he couldn't finish him. And to his credit, Couture was going through some personal issues as well later in his career (not his first fight with Liddell). We all know how important the mental game is. And Couture's not a striker anyway.

Wandy can't even be compared to Liddell...he defended against a slew of variously skilled and top contenders. And Silva moved up to fight at HW like a true warrior. Liddell talks about it, but is too cowardly to actually step up and do it. Thats my only knock on him. Just don't open your mouth if you're not gonna do it. Silva always steps up. CC anyone?

But you're right...it's all BS anyway. They will fight and we will see what happens. I mean, who knows, maybe som TUF lightweight can beat Fedor, we'll never know until it happens.
Twenty20Dollars
7/28/07 10:29:11PM
Just let chuck do his own thing.
SteedTheDeed
7/29/07 12:57:12AM
just wait for the "chuck ducked shogun" posts to start coming
cmill21
7/29/07 1:15:55AM
I just don't think it's a good career move, chucks not getting any younger, and he needs to get back into contention now! Fighting Jardine does nothing, unless dana pulls a hughes and gives chuck a title shot after he beats one non-top 15 fighter.
mkiv9secsupra
7/29/07 2:15:24AM

Posted by LHK

Wandy NEVER TURNED DOWN the sep fight. He was presented with 2 options, he chose November. How is that turning down, thats picking from options!

And Rampage made it to finals against Wandy by beating Liddell, who is not a top fighter, therefore that doesn't automatically make Rampage a top fighter. And like I said, he's a "top" fighter, but not the creme of the crop. Wandy, Shogun, Ninja (not even a LHW), are all ahead of him.

Your absolutely right about styles making fights. And every grappler Liddell defended against was tailor-made for him. And I was talking about Liddell being a PAPER CHAMP...his fights before that have nothing to do with it. Yes, he faced some decent opposition, no one top 10 besides maybe Vitor, and we all know how off/on he is. It's not like Liddell caught him with a lucky hook and put him out, he couldn't finish him. And to his credit, Couture was going through some personal issues as well later in his career (not his first fight with Liddell). We all know how important the mental game is. And Couture's not a striker anyway.

Wandy can't even be compared to Liddell...he defended against a slew of variously skilled and top contenders. And Silva moved up to fight at HW like a true warrior. Liddell talks about it, but is too cowardly to actually step up and do it. Thats my only knock on him. Just don't open your mouth if you're not gonna do it. Silva always steps up. CC anyone?

But you're right...it's all BS anyway. They will fight and we will see what happens. I mean, who knows, maybe som TUF lightweight can beat Fedor, we'll never know until it happens.

im sorry you post some of the most rediculous CRAP. Did sherdog ban you or something?
LHK
7/29/07 3:22:43AM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra
im sorry you post some of the most rediculous CRAP. Did sherdog ban you or something?

Says the guy with Liddell ranked as #1 p4p AND lhw
hippysmacker
7/29/07 6:08:20AM

Posted by LHK

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Wow, hold it now sonny. We get it you hate the UFC and love Pride. There are other UFC/Pride nutthuggers on this site who at least post their biased opinions with some tact. I generally try to keep all things moderate as a moderator. I also try to respect other opinions, and try to figure out where their coming from. You can't seem to , so let's check out the validity of your opinions worth. Since you brought up rankings. I thought it might be interesting to look at yours. I now rankings are subjective and based on opinion, but after looking at your rankings I think your opinion will carry very little weight with anyone from now on. Here's just a sample of yours.

In pound for pound you have Sakaraba #1 and Genki Sudo #7. I am a huge Sakaraba fan but at his best he was never #1 pound for pound, and should retire now. He is not even a top 10 middleweight anymore. Sudo? Also a greta showman, bu th has never beaten a top 10 fighter.... EVER

In HVYweight you have Kevin Randleman #9 and Bob Sapp# 10
Nuff said

LHVY- The only fighter you have in the top 10 who was in the UFC before Pride got bought is Rampage at #3. Since you probably still think of him as a Pride fighter, this almost makes sense. Except for the fact that you said he wasn't a top fighter in this thread. Hmmmm.... Me thinks you are completely full of it. Lets also throw in that you have Vitor at #10 LHVY currently. Would that be the same Vitor who's last victory against a top 20 fighter( other than the ridiculous -should have been a NO-contest - eye lid cutting of Couture) was MArvin Eastman in 2006? The Marvin Eastman who is now moving to 185 since he can't hang at 205. Oh Yeah him.

MDDWT- -My favorite. Frank Shamrock #1 . A guy who last won a fight against a top 15 fighter in 1999?

WWT- Pride didn't have this division. SO you actually make sense in many of your picks. Oh Wait!. Let's not forget Trigg at #7 . He hasn't fought at this weight in almost 2 years. #10 Mayhem Miller? Sure he's a fun guy to watch and he brings it, but his one fight at this weight he got dominated by GSP. Also over 2 years ago.

LWT- All Pride guys except KId and Shaolin.

Memo to the pot, quit calling the kettle black. Nutthugging is a disease. Anyone who thinks either Wandy or Chuck is not a top fighter has no credibility whatsoever in my book.
Stickan
7/29/07 6:15:29AM

Posted by LHK

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Seriously, when it comes to ranking you shouldn't even open your mouth. Kazushi Sakuraba as the best p4p fighter in the world!?!?!?
Mirko as the best HW in the world?!?! Despite the fact that Gonzaga mauled him and probably because you're a little cranky about that, you don't have him in your top 10. Instead you have BOB SAPP?!?!?!
The list with obvious biased picks goes on.

Genki Sudo as the 3rd best LW in the world.
Kid Yamamoto as the best LW in the world.
Frank Shamrock as the best MW in the world.
Ninja Rua as the third best MW?!?!?!
Chuck Liddell not even being the top 10 LHWs

Well apart from all this, calling Chuck a paper champ and saying stupid stuff like Ninja is ahead of him is what made me reply in the first place. Who the hell has Ninja beaten?
hippysmacker
7/29/07 6:19:19AM
Can't believe I missed NInja At #3. Thanks Stickan
Aether
7/29/07 6:54:54AM
I don't think listing kid as #1 is all that laughable. We may not have seen him fight BJ Penn or Gomi but he's definitely up there. I don't think I've ever actually bothered to do my rankings, other than maybe p4p.
Stickan
7/29/07 9:43:16AM

Posted by Aether

I don't think listing kid as #1 is all that laughable. We may not have seen him fight BJ Penn or Gomi but he's definitely up there. I don't think I've ever actually bothered to do my rankings, other than maybe p4p.

It's not laughable but IMO it's a stretch for sure. Out of the top 10 ranked LW guys on this site plus the honorable mentions he's beaten none. That makes it very very hard for me to consider him the #1 LW.
zephead
7/29/07 11:25:43AM

Posted by Stickan

Posted by LHK

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Seriously, when it comes to ranking you shouldn't even open your mouth. Kazushi Sakuraba as the best p4p fighter in the world!?!?!?
Mirko as the best HW in the world?!?! Despite the fact that Gonzaga mauled him and probably because you're a little cranky about that, you don't have him in your top 10. Instead you have BOB SAPP?!?!?!
The list with obvious biased picks goes on.

Genki Sudo as the 3rd best LW in the world.
Kid Yamamoto as the best LW in the world.
Frank Shamrock as the best MW in the world.
Ninja Rua as the third best MW?!?!?!
Chuck Liddell not even being the top 10 LHWs

Well apart from all this, calling Chuck a paper champ and saying stupid stuff like Ninja is ahead of him is what made me reply in the first place. Who the hell has Ninja beaten?

He has Ninja at 3???? The same Ninja who hasn't beatin anybody in the top 10???? His biggest wins to date are against Matsui, a over the hill Sperry and Villasenor. Every fighter with a little ability he has lost to. Denis Kang, Filho, Jackson, Kharitonov, Randleman, Arona and Henderson.

He has Cro Cop over Fedor, even though Fedor has beaten Cro Cop and has only 1 lost. A lost to a cut at that. In the LHW division he has Vitor at #10. No Chuck. Even thoug Chuck beat Vitor. Beat Tito who Vitor lost to. He has Overeem at 9 whom Chuck beat but Vitor lost to.

At Middle weight he has Ninja at #3 and Henderson at #5. Henderson beat Ninja. Henderson KO Wandy. Kang destroyed Ninj, but Kang is #10. He's got Ninja ahead of Linland???????

Not 1 UFC fighter in the Lighweights???????? No Sherk or Franca????

Dude has to stop with all this idiot calling after looking at his rankings.
Pages: [1] 2