where does chuck go from here?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » where does chuck go from here?
TheHitmanTL
9/23/07 5:32:43PM
does he retire or does he sit back and put the pieces back together??
CCPRIDE99
9/23/07 6:09:10PM
chuck needs to fight some one that he wil beat for sure and retire after that because IMO age has caught u with him
Copenhagen
9/23/07 6:28:01PM

Posted by CCPRIDE99

chuck needs to fight some one that he wil beat for sure and retire after that because IMO age has caught u with him

Age hasn't caught up with him. He just needs to go back to fighting grapplers, that way he can start winning. Then mainstream fans can think he's number one again.
Naturaldisaster
9/23/07 7:19:26PM
I think chuck needs to go back to the drawing board and rethink something and figure out what he's been doing wrong. and I think he fights shogun next
hook_tothe_body
9/23/07 7:42:28PM
Yeah I don't think Chuck is done or anything. He can make one more run for the title. It depends how seriously he takes fighting. It depends if he stills loves fighting as much as he did. At his best, Chuck can knock out the best of them.

Lets see what happens. I'm not just counting Chuck out because he had two loses in a row.
Djbb
9/23/07 7:50:33PM
Chuck has alot of problems right now. The most obvious one of course is his predictable fighting style. Secondly, as I said in another thread, Chuck's last 2 fights were against hungry fighters who had alot to prove, so while Rampage and Jardine fought to win, Chuck fought not to lose. He has a ton on his mind even if he doesn't want to admit it. Not avenging his loss to Rampage and losing his belt bruised his ego ALOT, in every interview all he talks about is how he wants his belt back. Hes not committed to EARNING his belt back, he just wants to fight Rampage again and again until he wins.
Stickan
9/23/07 7:54:17PM
I think he's done as a top contender. The game has caught up with him. He's too predictable and his rock star life style will be the end of his success and his career.
DCRage
9/23/07 7:59:57PM
Where he goes from here? Besides a life of partying, I think he needs to go to K-1 or somewhere that puts an emphasis on his primary skills, that seems to be striking and kickboxing. He's just getting to be too old to be a true contender anymore, even though obviously UFC wants him around still because he's among the most popular guys they have.
Djbb
9/23/07 8:02:59PM

Posted by Stickan
his rock star life style will be the end of his success and his career.

I knew it was the end of Chuck when he fell asleep during that morning show interview.
zephead
9/23/07 8:07:06PM

Posted by Copenhagen

Posted by CCPRIDE99

Age hasn't caught up with him. He just needs to go back to fighting grapplers, that way he can start winning. Then mainstream fans can think he's number one again.

Dude, you need to chill. I have read post after post of you saying the same garbage. Are you trying to pick a fight? Just trolling? Chill
Djbb
9/23/07 8:13:10PM

Posted by zephead

Posted by Copenhagen

Posted by CCPRIDE99

Dude, you need to chill. I have read post after post of you saying the same garbage. Are you trying to pick a fight? Just trolling? Chill

On one hand, I sort of see where CCPRIDE99 is coming from because alot of Chuck's victories were over mid-level fighters, but on the other hand nobody can forget how he KO'd Ortiz, Couture and Mezger.
mrsmiley
9/23/07 8:21:37PM
I say give Liddell Shogun.I think that would be a good fight for Chuck and Shogun.We know both are dangerous,but definently not fighting at their best right now.That's a fight I would love to see.
Maybe even give Chuck Nakumara.If he can't get at least a TKO victory of Naku,then I would be pressed to say Liddell's age might be catching up with him.
Svartorm
9/23/07 8:29:00PM

Posted by DCRage

Where he goes from here? Besides a life of partying, I think he needs to go to K-1 or somewhere that puts an emphasis on his primary skills, that seems to be striking and kickboxing. He's just getting to be too old to be a true contender anymore, even though obviously UFC wants him around still because he's among the most popular guys they have.

I like Chuck and all, but he'd be torn apart in K-1. There might be a few fights for him there, but the vast majority of guys would put him to sleep.
marketmaven
9/23/07 9:09:20PM
Jardine (or Greg Jackson and Co) came up with a winning strategy strike the body with leg kicks dimishing his knockout power, and his lead leg to limit his mobility. I have read a few posts where people have been hitting it dead on. Chuck fights great against grapplers and people that dont like to take a punch. Jardine is a striker who isnt afraid to trade blows.

Chuck will have to fight smarter and come up with gameplans against fighters, he need to develop a strategy sort of like Couture has been doing. Couture fights differently depending on who he faces.

Coutures performance against Gonzaga was a masterpiece, he did not have Gonzaga's overall talent, power, youth, or BJJ skill. He had his Greco Roman, his conditioning and a great strategy if keeping him tied up and pressed against the fence limiting the power of Gonzaga and dirty boxed him to victory. Against Sylvia, Couture's looping overhand right and improved striking threw off a Sylvia who had been training against getting taken down.

Chuck for Jardine should have done some more leg kicks of his own, done more checks and pressed Jardine against the fence to limit his mobility.
Svartorm
9/23/07 9:21:29PM
That was one thing tht really confused me. Why didn't Chuck ever back Jardine into the fence? He commanded the center of the cage for most of the fight, but when that doesn't work, putting the guys back to the fence seems like a good plan. It would force Jardine to go toe to toe with Chuck, where Chuck would have the advantage, limit the ability to throw kicks, and if Jardine tried to shoot for a takedown, Chuck could have sprawled and got some GnP in.

Guys with gameplans really seem to be taking the big fights nowadays, and people need to be able to think on their feet in there.
Djbb
9/23/07 9:28:04PM

Posted by Svartorm

Why didn't Chuck ever back Jardine into the fence? He commanded the center of the cage for most of the fight, but when that doesn't work, putting the guys back to the fence seems like a good plan. It would force Jardine to go toe to toe with Chuck, where Chuck would have the advantage, limit the ability to throw kicks, and if Jardine tried to shoot for a takedown, Chuck could have sprawled and got some GnP in.

Hindsight is always 20/20. Us, as fans, are quick to point out what fighters could or couldn't have done during a fight. There is a reason that fighters have their trainers in the corner screaming at them, there is a reason that fighters watch their fights over and over to see what they can improve on. Its because when they're in that octagon toe-to-toe with another fighter, the adrenaline is pumping so fast that they don't have time to sit there and think. A knockout can happen so fast you'll miss it if you blink your eye.
Svabbi
9/23/07 9:36:00PM
Chuck has been exposed, he is great at beating grapplers but against fighters that arent afraid to stand and trade strikes with him he is in trouble. And Jardine showed that Chucks defence to leg kicks is very questionable.
babytater03
9/24/07 8:32:41AM

Posted by marketmaven

Jardine (or Greg Jackson and Co) came up with a winning strategy strike the body with leg kicks dimishing his knockout power, and his lead leg to limit his mobility. I have read a few posts where people have been hitting it dead on. Chuck fights great against grapplers and people that dont like to take a punch. Jardine is a striker who isnt afraid to trade blows.

Chuck will have to fight smarter and come up with gameplans against fighters, he need to develop a strategy sort of like Couture has been doing. Couture fights differently depending on who he faces.

Coutures performance against Gonzaga was a masterpiece, he did not have Gonzaga's overall talent, power, youth, or BJJ skill. He had his Greco Roman, his conditioning and a great strategy if keeping him tied up and pressed against the fence limiting the power of Gonzaga and dirty boxed him to victory. Against Sylvia, Couture's looping overhand right and improved striking threw off a Sylvia who had been training against getting taken down.

Chuck for Jardine should have done some more leg kicks of his own, done more checks and pressed Jardine against the fence to limit his mobility.

cowcatcher
9/24/07 10:15:47AM

Posted by Svartorm

That was one thing tht really confused me. Why didn't Chuck ever back Jardine into the fence? He commanded the center of the cage for most of the fight, but when that doesn't work, putting the guys back to the fence seems like a good plan. It would force Jardine to go toe to toe with Chuck, where Chuck would have the advantage, limit the ability to throw kicks, and if Jardine tried to shoot for a takedown, Chuck could have sprawled and got some GnP in.

Guys with gameplans really seem to be taking the big fights nowadays, and people need to be able to think on their feet in there.

i thought jardine did a good job of getting in and out and circling as chuck was coming forward trying to put him against the fence. at times it even looked like he was running away, and after taking all those leg and body kicks chuck had a tough time catching up. chuck was clearly frustrated that jardine wouldnt engage him for any length of time.

one quick thing, how in the hell did one judge give the fight to chuck?????