Chris Weidman Asks Anderson Silva’s Camp Why Don’t They Want to Face the No. 1 Contender?

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Chris Weidman Asks Anderson Silva’s Camp Why Don’t They Want to Face the No. 1 Contender?
grappler0000
7/29/12 11:28:18PM
There’s probably no quicker way to illicit a response from a fighter than to call them ‘amateur’ or ‘a joke’, especially when those words are coming from a manager and not another competitor.

The strong statement came from Jorge Guimaraes, who is a co-manager of UFC middleweight king Anderson Silva, when speaking to Tatame.com about the prospects hoping to next face his fighter in the Octagon.

“That’s a big joke,” Guimaraes said about Chris Weidman and his fellow middleweight contenders. “Anderson has the biggest paycheck in the UFC and you can’t promote and event with these amateur kids that are coming up now.”

Needless to say Weidman didn’t take too kindly to Guimaraes’ words about him or the other top ten middleweights vying to face Silva in the cage...

Full Story
Aether
7/30/12 12:02:16AM
“The guy’s a champion of 185, he should be fighting the contenders. You don’t call out guys that aren’t going to be able to fight forever and guys that are lighter than you. Why don’t you call out Jon Jones? That makes sense, I’m sure a lot of people would watch, I’d love to watch too. If you’re not going to fight him, fight me, I’m ready to go,” Weidman stated.

Couldn't possibly have said it better myself. Go Weidman. I'll be rooting hard for him if he gets what he deserves and has earned, IMO.
george112
7/30/12 12:14:56AM
I agree with Aether
grappler0000
7/30/12 12:19:05AM
I agree with george112
prophecy033
7/30/12 12:42:09AM
I agree with grappler0000
Poor_Franklin
7/30/12 1:42:30AM
i agree with prophecy033
Cooler
7/30/12 1:55:07AM
I agree with Jim Carey
prophecy033
7/30/12 3:20:50AM

Posted by Cooler

I agree with Jim Carey

Pookie
7/30/12 4:56:26AM
Money.

To be nitpicky, Diaz called out Anderson. Anderson's camp hasnt mentioned Diaz(to my knowledge), they mentioned Franklin.

Lotsa little inaccuracies in what he said, but in general i agree with Weidman. But i fully understand why both Anderson and the UFC dont want Weidman to have that shot yet. Money.
Budgellism
7/30/12 7:58:24AM

Posted by Cooler

I agree with Jim Carey

Lol, well played
prozacnation1978
7/30/12 9:38:40AM
Weidman ain't the number 1 contender beating Munoz coming back from a injury

I still think weidman needs to face at least boestch now

2 big middleweight fights

Stann vs bisping and Belfort vs belcher

That will help sort it out some
submissionartist1
7/30/12 10:22:58AM
there is no number 1 contender just people Silva beat and guys who think the're next in line because there is no one else. to have an actual contender you need a tournament. or champions in other orgs, like lumbard but we see where that gets us.its the UFC fault for not wanting silva to be the first to hold two belts thats why he wont fight at 205.(but bj could try at 155 and 170)... poster boys
SpiderSilva
7/30/12 10:30:20AM
Come on there are about 5 guys trying to get a shot at Silva. and most probably couldn't beat Rich Franklin. It's clear that none have separated from the pack once one does then they get a shot till then I'm all for Silva vs Franklin 3
SpiderSilva
7/30/12 1:59:05PM

NO ONE IS NEXT IN LINE!!!!! Why not just do Franklin vs Weidman? Franklin has only lost to Silva at 185.

Franklin would put a hurting on Weidman IMO
grappler0000
7/30/12 2:06:31PM

Posted by submissionartist1

there is no number 1 contender just people Silva beat and guys who think the're next in line because there is no one else. to have an actual contender you need a tournament. or champions in other orgs, like lumbard but we see where that gets us.its the UFC fault for not wanting silva to be the first to hold two belts thats why he wont fight at 205.(but bj could try at 155 and 170)... poster boys

It was Zuffa's idea that he fought at 205 in the first place. As far as them keeping him from fighting at 205, here's what Anderson said a couple of months back:

I don't plan on moving up in weight anymore. He's in a different weight (class). I train with bigger guys, such as Lyoto Machida and Big Nog and I know how complicated it is. ...Every time I see Jones I tell him to keep focus, because if he does that, there's no opponent for him. He's better than everyone. He'd have a lot of advantages (over me), he's much younger and it wouldn't be something interesting (for me).
Boo_Radley21
7/30/12 2:16:58PM
You can't just call yourself the number one contender and get a title shot against the p4p best in the sport. His big win was against Munoz, who while he is tough is not a title contender himself. A win against another big name and I'll say he might deserve it. But for now, calling himself number one contender and claiming he deserves the shot is kind of making me hate this guy
bjj1605
7/30/12 5:05:23PM
I don't totally disagree with Weidman, but it's not like he's the clear "No. 1 Contender."

There are several guys at MW with nice wins and momentum right now. If he wants to fight Silva he might just have to fight Boetsch or Belfort or Belcher.

At this point in his career Anderson is probably only interested in big fights. Weidman is not a big fight (not that Rich Franklin would be.)
kingsmasher
7/30/12 6:09:43PM
All this talk about not giving Weidman the credit he deserves is lol funny...He steam rolls the competition like Jon Jones did...

Keep in mind the only fight he didnt with Maia he took on ten days notice and cut 20 pounds...He can take a punch his wrestling is prolly the best in the division due to his reach...Reach can help you immensely in wrestling and in the clinch...Watch Jon Jones in a clinch...Hes able to be in a clinch and his long arms can block knees at the same time...

Weidman will sub Anderson Silva...Weidman will sub most the guys there...The only fighter style wise that could prolly steal a win would be Bispiing because he would punch and run...

Weidman is the future of that division...Hes humble and works hard nad loves BJJ...BJJ and wrestling is the recipe for a belt...Jon Jones has it and Weidman is actually better than Jon Jones as far as a pure wrestler and years passed Jones in BJJ...Jon Jones long reach is what helps him...But Weidman is a real prodigy in MMA...for MMA...BJ Penn should give that name to Weidman...Cause BJ was good at BJJ and he could jab...But Weidman took his wrestling and used it as a tool to get submissions...
Pookie
7/30/12 7:55:18PM
"Anderson, Anderson.

You may have the entire population of Brazil fooled. You may have Dana White fooled. You may have every knowledgable MMA analyst and fan on the planet fooled. You may even have Chael Sonnen fooled. But you havent fooled the Honest And Truthful Educated Righteous Seven (H.A.T.E.R.S.): me and my 6 friends who hang out in my mom's basement all day, policing the internet and seeing right through you, oh paper champion.

You sir, are a fraud. There's no one else in UFC history with as fraudulent a 16 fight win streak as yours. No one else with 13 finishes in 15 UFC fights as dubious as yours were.

Others may have forgotten your shame. They may be blinded by your fancy pants moves, your lucky streak, your 'finishes' (seriously: what so-called professional fighter can live with having to resort to using fucking JABS to finish his opponent?) but the H.A.T.E.R.S. are not so easily fooled.

We remember you running from Demian Maia, recognizing his superiority over you. We remember you being mercillessly beaten by Chael Sonnen in Oakland; we delighted in your suffering. We watched you eke out controversial victories against Vitor Belfort and Yushin Okami. We remember you ducking a Sonnen rematch, until finally being forced to fight, then meekly resisting a takedown and laying limply under the superior Sonnen.

And now? Now you're ducking Jon Jones, a man just a scant 13 years younger than you, who for some reason looks up to you and considers you a friend. Youre ducking Chris Weidman, who, when you do finally fight, you'll undoubtedly have to resort to more silly, unheard-of finishing methods. Or just knock him out quick with yet another preposterous fucking JAB.

The Seven see through you, Anderson Silva. We're online, raging against the false greatness, transendence, creativity, longetivity, durability, and God-like brilliance you've tricked tens of millions of people into falsely perceiving. We demand that you fight Weidman, and after you luckily beat him, Jones, and after you luckily beat him, JDS or Cain or Overeem. Anyone, really, who will finally expose you for what you are: weak and ordinary and fallable and human. Just like us, the H.A.T.E.R.S."

Quote from BloodyElbow
Bubbles
8/2/12 6:29:39PM
i agree with Cooler
Bubbles
8/2/12 6:41:43PM

Posted by Boo_Radley21

You can't just call yourself the number one contender and get a title shot against the p4p best in the sport. His big win was against Munoz, who while he is tough is not a title contender himself. A win against another big name and I'll say he might deserve it. But for now, calling himself number one contender and claiming he deserves the shot is kind of making me hate this guy

then who else is #1?
Belfort hasn't beaten a top MW in like 4 years, and was recently KTFO by Silva
Sonnen is 0-2 vs Silva
Bisping lost his last fight to Sonnen
Munoz just lost to Weidman (If Munoz won, he was the #1 contender after being 2 top 10s)
Belcher doesn't have any recent top 10 wins (unless you considered Paul Harris top 10)
Okami got KTFO by Boetsch
Lombard lost to Boetsch
Stann has no top 10 wins.

Boetsch has the next best recent win streak to Weidman but was unimpressive in his last 2 fights vs top 10 opponents. Name me someone who is more deserving than Weidman to fight for the title