Chris Lytle inks UFC contract extension, UFC 89 bout with Paul Taylor

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Chris Lytle inks UFC contract extension, UFC 89 bout with Paul Taylor
Twenty20Dollars
7/16/08 1:19:32PM
link

"The Ultimate Fighter 4" runner-up and longtime UFC fighter Chris Lytle (25-16-5 MMA, 4-8 UFC) has signed a four-fight contract extension with the UFC and has also signed to fight Paul Taylor (9-3-1 MMA, 2-2 UFC) at UFC 89.

His manager, Ken Pavia, confirmed the deals with MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) on Tuesday.

UFC 89 takes place Oct. 18 at The NIA in Birmingham, England.

"The UFC expressed satisfaction with his past performances, and they extended his deal by four fights," Pavia said. "Chris has a home in the UFC. He's comfortable fighting for the UFC. Both sides will benefit from the deal. We're very happy with it."

Lytle, a nine-year veteran who made his octagon debut in 2000, most recently suffered a unanimous-decision loss to Josh Koscheck earlier this month at UFC 86.

However, after a spirited loss to Thiago Alves in November, Lytle essentially promised to throw caution to the wind. He said calculated game plans made for boring fights, and his two bouts since then -- a February knockout victory over Kyle Bradley and the loss to Koscheck -- have shown streaks of that carefree attitude.

"He appreciate the types of match-ups [UFC officials] have given him," Pavia said. "Chris has re-devoted himself to being exciting, and the UFC has provided him opponents who let him do that. ... Chris' sole goal is to entertain fans."

His next opportunity will come against Taylor, a British fighter who's competed in four consecutive UFC U.K. events. After opening his UFC career with a TKO of Edilberto de Oliveira, Taylor suffered back-to-back losses to Marcus Davis and Paul Kelly.

Knowing the fight was a must-win, he then scored a split-decision victory over Jess Liaudin in June at UFC 85.
candynuts
7/16/08 1:22:55PM
Good news, glad to see Lytle back in the UFC.
His fight with Taylor will be a damn good one too!
Great news.
MMAcca
7/16/08 1:26:04PM
Lytle is on a different level to Taylor imo.

An easy victory methinks.
Twenty20Dollars
7/16/08 1:28:46PM
Yeah that's what i was thinking. This might be a fight of the night fight. Lytle needs to work him way back up first before fighting top competition againest because he hasnt done good against them lately.
Khaos
7/16/08 1:46:13PM
Me thinks a First round submission victory is in order., for Lytle of course
juanez13
7/16/08 1:53:17PM

Posted by Khaos

Me thinks a First round submission victory is in order., for Lytle of course

dont think Lytle will take it to the ground. especially with the way he has been fighting Lately.

should be very exciting fight, but Lytle i think is one step above Taylor.
CantAndleDaRiddum
7/16/08 1:58:53PM
glad to see the ufc hold on to a good fighter w/ lots of heart

plus the guy has never been finished & after the koscheck fight that sure as hell means a lot
Aaronno9
7/16/08 2:28:53PM
This really could be a walk in the park for Chris IF he takes the fight to the ground. Paul doesnt have good takedown defence, and his ground game is not his stronger suit by a long shot. If Chris chooses to stand with Paul though he could be in for a long night. But i think Paul would be in for a long night to, these guys would really put on a brawl if the fight stays standing, and if i thought that was the case id pick Taylor via UD.

I think Chris will take him down and sub him in the second though.
ThaAxeMurderer7
7/16/08 2:31:11PM
Good move signing this guy. I think Chris is a gatekeeper but a very very good gatekeeper. He always comes to fight and he is being rewarded for his performances.
FantasyFighter
7/16/08 2:42:59PM
UFC

This is excellent news. Chris is very exciting to watch and very talented. I always look forward to seeing his fights and I hope he stays with the UFC until he retires. There are plenty of matches for him, including 2 re-matches I would love to see (Alves of course and also Serra b/c he was robbed of that decision).

As far as his fight with Taylor, it think it will be a great fight and that is some excellent matchmaking!
zephead
7/16/08 3:43:23PM
Good. I like Chris alot, dude is nails. Comes to fight and never quits.
prozacnation1978
7/16/08 4:47:33PM
i am glad he got resigned even though he probably holds the recor for most losses in the ufc he is exciting to watch
i think it will be lights out for taylor
it's ashame with so many matches this will be a prelim fight
nickcuc547
7/16/08 5:19:14PM
good to see lytle get extended, the guy is a class act and always puts on a show win or lose. his fight with taylor should be nothing short of a war. i think lytle gets the sub but taylor is a tough dude, remember he was a punch or two away from stopping marcus davis.
Matimus
7/16/08 6:01:58PM
war lytle!
Gipper
7/16/08 6:25:03PM
great news! lytle deserves it. the guy is a true warrior inside the octagon and obviously outside.