Chris Lytle to Consider Retirement After Secret Surgery, UFC 127 Loss

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Chris Lytle to Consider Retirement After Secret Surgery, UFC 127 Loss
emfleek
3/1/11 11:20:54AM
Because he's a pro's pro, Chris Lytle wouldn't admit it, but he was far from fighting at full strength in his UFC 127 loss to Brian Ebersole. In fact, just four weeks before his fight, he had the injured meniscus in his right knee removed, MMA Fighting has learned.

Lytle chose to keep the procedure quiet to deflect attention and avoid devaluing Ebersole's win. But after MMA Fighting learned of the injury from two separate sources, Lytle's manager Ken Pavia finally confirmed the surgery, which he said began as an exploratory procedure before the doctor removed the meniscus due to the damage.

Lytle chose to fight, and the ensuing unanimous decision loss to Ebersole marked the end of a four-fight win streak. It could also possibly bring a close to his career.

LINK
icantthinkofanything
3/1/11 11:34:34AM
dont retire
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1 Photo Attachment 2 Photo Attachment 3 Photo Attachment 4
FastKnockout
3/1/11 12:34:17PM
I seriously hope he doesn't retire. I always get excited when I see his name on a card. No matter who he fights, he promises a brawl and he usually stays true to his word.

WAR LIGHTS OUT!

FlashyG
3/1/11 12:47:21PM
He deserves credit for not using it as an excuse as well.

I hope he sticks around.
Chuteboxer
3/1/11 12:52:54PM
This guy is a true fighter. Whether he retires or not, I will always consider him one of my all time favorites. Of course I'd love for him to stick around for a while longer, but I'm not gonna hope for it.
BeeR
3/1/11 1:36:28PM

he's always been my favorite fighter.
if he can recover Id like to see him back a few more times, but if he decides to hang em up,he will lose no respect from me, Thanks for the memories! WAR Lytle!
SmileR
3/1/11 2:18:59PM
I hope to god he doesn't retire! The guy is an animal in the cage! I always get pumped for his fights!
taporsnap25
3/1/11 3:12:36PM
having a meniscus cartilage repaired or taken out is not a very serious surgery. it's a simple scope procedure. after they removed mine, i walked out of the hospital. in about 1 week i had full ROM and strength back.
Cooler
3/1/11 3:16:54PM
Chris Lytle, If you decide to retire (which i hope not) thanks for all the memories and wars.
cheesy-maggot
3/1/11 5:26:18PM

Posted by taporsnap25

having a meniscus cartilage repaired or taken out is not a very serious surgery. it's a simple scope procedure. after they removed mine, i walked out of the hospital. in about 1 week i had full ROM and strength back.

It's not the same for everyone and you are adviced not to do sports for around 4 weeks after the surgery.
Hendo67
3/1/11 6:35:35PM
I have such a great respect for this guy. I call him the 170 pound, Wanderlei Silva, always out there to trade leather and put on a show for the fans.

I love how he didn't use it as an excuse for a loss, like Tito does. Basically everytime Tito takes the mike, post fight the first thing he says is "I don't want to make excuses but blah blah blah". Lytle is a class act, a true warrior and a fans first fighter. If this is the end of the line for him, I wish him the best and a speedy recovery.
BlueSkiesBurn
3/1/11 6:50:57PM

Posted by Hendo67

I have such a great respect for this guy. I call him the 170 pound, Wanderlei Silva, always out there to trade leather and put on a show for the fans.

I love how he didn't use it as an excuse for a loss, like Tito does. Basically everytime Tito takes the mike, post fight the first thing he says is "I don't want to make excuses but blah blah blah". Lytle is a class act, a true warrior and a fans first fighter. If this is the end of the line for him, I wish him the best and a speedy recovery.

You just had to sully the legacy and good memories of Lights Out by mentioning Tito, didn't you
isk
3/1/11 6:57:23PM
I love Lytle, and while TUF is hit-or-miss, I'm grateful that it at least gave this guy a second chance and a much bigger fanbase.
prozacnation1978
3/1/11 7:18:42PM
Chris is a gamer
Curious to see who he fights next.
I would love to see lytle vs sanchez or hardy
kopower
3/1/11 11:37:04PM
Chris has always brought it. I have huge respect for the guy. Hope he doesn't hang them up quite yet. I'd like to see him walk out with a win and another FOTN award.

War Lytle