Chris Johnson, Worth $53.5 million?

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Chris Johnson, Worth $53.5 million?
POLL: Chris Johnson being paid too much?
Yes 53% (10)
No 47% (9)
papercut
9/1/11 10:55:58PM
if you haven't heard the news yet, the Tennessee Titans and Chris Johnson have come to a contract agreement worth "more than $53.5 million (with 30 million guaranteed)" today. anyone in my boat where you think that's just too much? Now don't get me wrong, he's definitely a good player and the Titans should be happy to have resigned him but I just think $53.5 million was a bit too much.

What are your thoughts?

here's thelink to the story if you haven't heard about it yet.

Chael_Sonnen
9/1/11 10:57:37PM
Hell NAH

He can lead the league in rushing yards every season and the Titans will still be home golfing in January.
kopower
9/1/11 11:10:39PM
From a football stand point, I think he is. He is a dynamic playmaker, and that's the going rate nowadays. Of course, you always have to be worried about injuries. It will be interesting to see how much Adrian Peterson will sign for. He's in the last year of his deal.
BlueSkiesBurn
9/1/11 11:15:40PM
Is he worth it? Yes. Is he going to help Tennessee at all in the foreseeable future? Absolutely not. He's wasting his good years on a team that's clearly in a rebuilding processes. He should have rode out the contract and opted for FA.
DeadHead988
9/1/11 11:30:51PM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Is he worth it? Yes. Is he going to help Tennessee at all in the foreseeable future? Absolutely not. He's wasting his good years on a team that's clearly in a rebuilding processes. He should have rode out the contract and opted for FA.

Dude's wasting his talent
Twenty20Dollars
9/1/11 11:33:20PM
Sure, it's only money.
tn_rebel
9/2/11 12:43:45AM
I was worried they weren't gonna make a deal; I glad he's back.
Kpro
9/2/11 12:56:02AM
gold teeth can cause all sorts of gum disease, plaque, gingivitis, bad breath, etc.

Hopefully he can now afford hypoallergenic platinum teeth which will eliminate all of the above.
gartface
9/2/11 8:55:57AM
By all means he's deserving of the money. He's arguably the most dynamic playmaker in the NFL. He's dangerous running anywhere, which is crazy for his size, and he's able to catch out of the backfield very effectively. Does he make the Titans a better team? By all means. He eases the work load on Hasselbeck/Locker and adds a huge, big play threat at all times.

He needs to get paid now before his time is up. I'm a huge Colts fan, so I would have rather seen him test free agency, but the dude deserves what he's getting.
Poor_Franklin
9/2/11 12:21:56PM
he's the best player on the 27th best offense in the league. good job
cowcatcher
9/2/11 12:40:58PM
He's the only threat on that team, and although guaranteeing a RB $30 million is generally bad business in football, when he's the only horse you got you had better make him happy.
BlueSkiesBurn
9/2/11 12:43:40PM

Posted by cowcatcher

He's the only threat on that team, and although guaranteeing a RB $30 million is generally bad business in football, when he's the only horse you got you had better make him happy.

He's still young, though. Also, unlike a lot of big name backs, Johnson played at East Carolina. He wasn't in the SEC, Big 12, or another big name conference that had bruising defenses. He's probably got a lot more life left than Rashard Mendenhall or AP.
cowcatcher
9/2/11 12:50:49PM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by cowcatcher

He's still young, though. Also, unlike a lot of big name backs, Johnson played at East Carolina. He wasn't in the SEC, Big 12, or another big name conference that had bruising defenses. He's probably got a lot more life left than Rashard Mendenhall or AP.

I see your point, but playing every down in the NFL is going to take it's toll on any player that plays the position with the shortest shelf life in the league. My cousin's boyfriend since high school was a 3rd round draft pick and only lasted 4 years in the league as a back up due to injuries suffered in practice. The NFL is a grown ups league no matter what school you came from.
BlueSkiesBurn
9/2/11 12:56:22PM

Posted by cowcatcher

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by cowcatcher

I see your point, but playing every down in the NFL is going to take it's toll on any player that plays the position with the shortest shelf life in the league. My cousin's boyfriend since high school was a 3rd round draft pick and only lasted 4 years in the league as a back up due to injuries suffered in practice. The NFL is a grown ups league no matter what school you came from.

I completely agree with the NFL being a big boy's league. All I'm saying is, EVERY little bit counts at that level. Playing at ECU is going to have its advantages over a Mark Ingram who played at Alabama.
cowcatcher
9/2/11 12:59:48PM
Johnson being a little guy doesn't help either, just forgot to say that earlier.
BlueSkiesBurn
9/2/11 1:02:27PM

Posted by cowcatcher

Johnson being a little guy doesn't help either, just forgot to say that earlier.

I have no counter-argument for this.
gartface
9/2/11 1:09:05PM
They need to give Javon Ringer more carries to help protect their investment. Also Jamie Harper was a solid back at Clemson.
cowcatcher
9/2/11 1:09:32PM
I'm just playing devil's advocate because in most other cases I would say they shouldn't guarantee that kind of money to a RB, in this team's case I think they did the right thing though.
tn_rebel
9/2/11 1:35:44PM

Posted by Poor_Franklin

he's the best player on the 27th best offense in the league. good job

CJ has the talent to be the best player on damn near any team
tn_rebel
9/2/11 1:36:51PM

Posted by gartface

They need to give Javon Ringer more carries to help protect their investment. Also Jamie Harper was a solid back at Clemson.

agree