Chonan deserves credit!!

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Chonan deserves credit!!
Stickan
11/19/07 7:11:35AM
The commentating during Karo - Chonan was sickening. Sure, I thought Karo won as well but if you just listened to the commentating you would've thought he was dominating when he clearly wasn't. It's disgusting how blantantly biased Joe and Mike sometimes seem.
It was a pretty close fight IMO and Chonan did a lot better than I thought he would do. I think he did better in the stand-up than Karo and avoided getting tossed nicely.
Karo had a lot more top-control which won him the fight in my eyes but other than that, the fight was razor-close.
I picked Karo to win so I was of course rooting for him but I saw it a pretty close 29-28 for Karo with the second round going to Chonan.

Just do yourselves a favor guys and watch this fight again on mute so you get rid of the picture of the fight that the commentators paint for you.

stickyhash421
11/19/07 7:33:27AM
chonan was good, i want to see him in the ufc again, karo didnt really get ANY judo at all. props to ryo fo sho
hippysmacker
11/19/07 10:09:51AM
While it was far from a dominating performance,I still think Karo won convincingly. There is usually so many people talking during the fight where I watch it ,that I can't hear the commentators anyway. I usually find out a lot things they said when I'm watching it on Tivo later. I'm a fan a fan of Chonan and Gono both, and I have always thought they would have much better careers at 170, which is a more natural weight for both. I even made a wager on Ryo, because I gave him about a 40% of victory, but I picked Karo for a UD because thats his MO.While I agree that Chonan landed a small amount more in striking, I was surprised at how well Karo countered, and surprised that Chonan didn't have a much bigger advantage on their feet. This is the 2nd straight fight where I have come away impressed with Karo's improvement standing, and I was surprised Chonan didn't land more leg kicks.
cowcatcher
11/19/07 10:22:12AM
i thopught chonan did just enough to not look like he was being dominated. karo was in control from bell to bell, IMO. i expected chonan to show much better striking than karo, especially kicks, and they looked about even on the feet with a slight advantage goingf to karo. nothing did really serious damage to chonan, but he never had control of the fight for an extended period.
szucconi
11/19/07 12:29:15PM

Posted by Stickan

Just do yourselves a favor guys and watch this fight again on mute so you get rid of the picture of the fight that the commentators paint for you.

I was there live and I thought Karo won all three rounds. I didn't hear any biased commentating and still thought Karo controlled where the action happened and won all three rounds. Chonan was able to foil a lot of what Karo was trying to do leading to stalemates, but Chonan didn't work for much of his own position as much a Karo. Chonan played defense most of the match.
DCRage
11/19/07 12:56:19PM

Posted by Stickan

That's why when I watched the UFC DVDs I bought recently (Liddell-Couture Trilogy) I watched them the first time through in Spanish. They're at least more entertaining with their Spanish and their English too. I only watched one the other day in English because I was playing it for a friend.
tuvok500
11/19/07 12:58:45PM
Karo won the fight clearly but i am tired of is constant apologize at the end of each fight !!

he want a title shot and in the same sentence he apologize about his boring performance almost every times!!

Just stop apologizing and do what you are suppose to do in the fight , and you will have a much better chance of having your title shot 1 day !

I can give credit to shonan for sure but it was not the tuffest fight of Karo's career !!

Kastro
11/19/07 1:37:54PM
Chonan did well in my opinion and I also scored the fight 29-28 for Karo...

I was at a sports club and I couldn't really hear any of the commentating, but I totally understand what you mean about Joe Rogan and his biased opinions and commentating I really cant stand him sometimes..

I dont really like Karo for some reason, he is a good fighter no doubt but he has this kinda attitude similar to Matt Hughes that I just dislike... and why does he apologize at the end of every fight?? Its up to him to make the fight exciting, the more he apologizes the worse I think of him... just fight your fight and be happy you won.
tberg420
11/19/07 4:27:15PM
Before I fell asleep during the 3rd Round of this fight, I remember Karo just dominating Chonnan much like Rashad did to Bisping. No way did Chonnan win any round as it's hard to do that while laying on your back.
Rush
11/19/07 4:33:42PM
I was more disappointed in Ryo than I was impressed with Karo. Karo controlled the fight, but was far from dominant. I think the fight would've been closer in scoring had Ryo not thrown so many lazy kicks.

Maybe I'm just bitter because I picked Ryo by UD, thinking he'd get the better of the stand up and be able to negate Karo's grappling.
cmill21
11/19/07 5:44:43PM
I just wanted to see some crazy submission, like a backflip off the cage into an arm bar. For it being his first fight in the cage, and being that he fought probably a top 5 ww he did well. He'll do something in the UFC.
Mastodon2
11/19/07 6:46:13PM
Karo was controlling the fight, but in no way was he "dominating" at all. I think Ryo really could have taken that fight if he had been more aggressive. He looked, at times, almost completely passive, and he was still able to defend against what Karo was throwing at him. If Ryo had decided to turn it round and take the fight to Karo he could have really taken it. That said, it was still a solid debut in the UFC, the guy is game, we are sure to see more of him.

If he gets back to the aggressive style that we saw against Silva and Newton I think he has some great fights in his future. I predict him getting better with every match. As he gets more comfortable in the UFC I think he will find his stride again and start banging shots out at guys like he used to, instead of just blocking punches, locking up in the clinch and avoiding takedowns like he did the other night.

The future's bright. The Future's orange (like Ryo's orange hair!)
jiujitsufreak74
11/19/07 6:55:52PM
do you guys buy karo's personal issues excuse or do you think he was just out of shape like he has been in the past? i personally was disappointed with both fighters and felt that they both should have trained harder for this fight. karo may or may not really have personal problems that effected him for this fight, but if he continues to fight like that he won't get much more accomplished in the stacked ufc WW division. on the other hand, ryo really should have taken advantage of karo's sloppy fight and really could have taken the upset, if he himself was also not gassed and fighting sloppily. ryo should have put on a better performance as well and i was little disappointed in him as well. i know that even at 70% karo is still better than a lot of the WW fighters, but i really hope he gets over what ever is bothering him and returns to the form that we have grown accustomed to seeing.
Mayhem13
11/19/07 7:01:11PM
Chonan was impressive as far as getting back to his feet and avoiding the throws...and his standup didnt look bad..but I think Karo did a pretty good job of controlling this fight from start to finish, and has seemed to improved his counter striking.....

tberg420
11/19/07 7:02:59PM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

do you guys buy karo's personal issues excuse or do you think he was just out of shape like he has been in the past? i personally was disappointed with both fighters and felt that they both should have trained harder for this fight. karo may or may not really have personal problems that effected him for this fight, but if he continues to fight like that he won't get much more accomplished in the stacked ufc WW division. on the other hand, ryo really should have taken advantage of karo's sloppy fight and really could have taken the upset, if he himself was also not gassed and fighting sloppily. ryo should have put on a better performance as well and i was little disappointed in him as well. i know that even at 70% karo is still better than a lot of the WW fighters, but i really hope he gets over what ever is bothering him and returns to the form that we have grown accustomed to seeing.

He looked out of shape. I personally think that he got hit harder by Couture's slaps before the fight then he did in the whole fight.