Chokes

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » Chokes
Sinister
8/20/09 10:25:29PM
Ok, this may seem dumb but I rather ask on here than ask my trainer.

When you see guys go unconscious from a choke in the UFC, is that from cutting the bloodflow or oxygen?
I was wondering just because in grappling I woudnt mind blacking out so telling me both ways I would just black out would make me feel more motivated to keep going til Im out.\

Thanks
Nightmare27
8/20/09 10:41:58PM
Its a lack of oxygen. Whether by lack of bloodflow or not. However you look at it, its a lack of O2. The only way I would suggest going out on purpose is if you trust your partner or are in a competition where others are watching. Be ready for a nice headache though.
Sinister
8/20/09 10:49:40PM

Posted by Nightmare27

Its a lack of oxygen. Whether by lack of bloodflow or not. However you look at it, its a lack of O2. The only way I would suggest going out on purpose is if you trust your partner or are in a competition where others are watching. Be ready for a nice headache though.

Yea, its for a competition so I want to fight off as long as im conscious. thanks
postman
8/20/09 11:29:43PM

Posted by Sinister

Posted by Nightmare27

Yea, its for a competition so I want to fight off as long as im conscious. thanks

I have a better idea.....Don't get put in a choke. It almost seems you have set yourself up to fail. Don't just see how long you can last before you go out defend the choke turn in get top position and end it.
Sinister
8/21/09 12:48:26AM

Posted by postman

Posted by Sinister

Posted by Nightmare27

I have a better idea.....Don't get put in a choke. It almost seems you have set yourself up to fail. Don't just see how long you can last before you go out defend the choke turn in get top position and end it.

Well usually if a guy goes for a guillotine from guard, im good at defending it to the point where I can try passing as I get out. A lot of times when a person wont give up the submission they have, you might as well work to a better position as they half-ass it then finally get out of the move.
quball
8/21/09 1:55:29AM
No O2 and you go night night
Joemoplata
8/26/09 11:35:16AM
Most of the chokes are an attempt to shut down the flow of blood to the brain by squeezing the carotid arteries on both sides of the neck. This is much faster, and safer, than cutting off the flow of oxygen at the throat.