Chest Workout

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » Chest Workout
casey64
3/5/08 8:15:31PM
Could any of you fellow forum buddies post me a good chest workout.
Exercises,reps,and all.

Doing what i am right now is helping alot though I went from 140 to 190 50pds is awsome but just want to here some other suggestions
seanfu
3/5/08 9:02:41PM
Peck deck is good.
Get light dumbells to start and do flys.
Get heavy dumbells and do a lift straight up that similar to bench.
Wide spread pushups.
Freeweight alongside machine (stamina) bench press.

nothing better.
Without supplements my junior year I gained 10 pounds of muscle in a month.
Dumbells are key to chest.

With the dumbells you should have someone spot under your elbows. You should be pushing past the point your arms and chest short circuit.

Good upper body supports are dumbell shoulders and military press. If you're trying to LOOK big then work on your traps as much as you can. Work your shoulders as well for the LOOK.
SmileR
3/5/08 10:05:41PM

Posted by seanfu

Peck deck is good.
Get light dumbells to start and do flys.
Get heavy dumbells and do a lift straight up that similar to bench.
Wide spread pushups.
Freeweight alongside machine (stamina) bench press.

nothing better.
Without supplements my junior year I gained 10 pounds of muscle in a month.

With the dumbells you should have someone spot under your elbows. You should be pushing past the point your arms and chest short circuit.

Good upper body supports are dumbell shoulders and military press. If you're trying to LOOK big then work on your traps as much as you can. Work your shoulders as well for the LOOK.

Dam you know your stuff man!! I was going to say about half of the stuff you said an feel proud! Props to you!

EDIT: sorry man i'v got to spread the love!
StevenSeagal
3/6/08 8:40:12AM
give me a breakdown of your previous workout, age, and bodytype.
Bonus-Jonas
3/6/08 2:22:16PM
So far everything I have read looks really good, I'll just add what I did to go from 185lbs as my max to repping 315lbs 3 times in 10 months. I went from weighing 145lbs to a solid 160lbs. I have competed in bench press competitions since 2003, so I would consider myself a credible source.

I first found a weight that I could bench press 5 sets of 5 reps. If you want a good bench press, you have to go through the motions, so you have to bench press, not just with dumbells on a flat bench. You want enough weight that will cause your chest to work, but you don't want too much weight, which would break your muscles down to rapidly, plus its hard on your tendons and joints.

I then would move on the incline press and would use dumbells most of the time. Sometimes I would use the bar for incline because it is good to switch it up once in a while. But I would do 4-5 sets of about 6-8 reps. Incline is where you can gain a lot of mass in your pecks which then enables you to support more weight when you go back to the flat bench.

I then would do incline flies, flat bench with dumbells, or peck deck 4 sets of 8. I never did more then 3-4 workouts on chest. From my experiences, I always found better results when I didn't overwork my chest too much.

Shoulders are a huge factor when it comes to a nice bench press. I'm sure you already know a lot of exercises, but always implement exercises that work your Trapezius muscle. Traps help you control heavy weight and support your press. I focus a lot on shrugs and take my time using both bar and dumbells. If I had time, I would do about 10 sets on my traps with shrugs and would even go heavy enough where I only did 2-3 reps.

Focus a lot on your back and lats. They are crucial to a huge bench press. When someone finally taught that concept to me my max began to increase at amazing rates.

And of course...triceps. Do lots of dips, and get to the point where you can do weighted dips with a couple 45lb plates.

I love chest days. Bench pressing is my favorite. Get a good diet, drink lots of water and have fun with it. Good luck
xenophon
3/6/08 10:44:53PM
Depending on when you do your workout and what type it is, you should pick two or three of these exercises and use them for your workout.

Parallel Bar Dips 5x5, DB Alternating Floor Press 4x12-10-8-6, Dive Bomber Pushups 4-Count 1x25, Plyo Pushups 2x10.
drunkel
3/7/08 8:44:37AM
I stay away from machines they limit your range of movements. (That is my personal choice.)
I got this from an nfl football player's workout for chest.
Bench press
Start with comfortable weight you can do 5 sets of 10 moving up in 10 pds each set. Do 5 sets of 10 dips right after each set of BP.

This one really shocks the muscle:
Dumbell Bench Press: Ladder
Start with the heaviest dumbells you can do one set of 5 with then just work your way down to the lightest weight. Dropping in weight each set but try to keep the reps higher than the first set.

Dips, Dips, and weighted Dips.
casey64
3/11/08 8:59:10PM
Thanks for the info guys
Kracker_Jap
3/13/08 9:53:49AM
There is a ton of info on this depending on your goals got to Bodybuilding.com
casey64
3/13/08 6:42:37PM

Posted by Kracker_Jap

There is a ton of info on this depending on your goals got to Bodybuilding.com

I checked that website out before has a lot of info
ganayegi
3/17/08 12:36:07AM

i have to agree. i gained 30lbs of mostly muscle in 4 or 5 months and a lot of weight to my bench from dumbells. just work dumbells for a week or two on chest days or however you do your workouts and then use a bar and there will be a definite increase. and it really helped me get my form down too.
Jackelope
3/17/08 2:11:17AM
Maybe it's a little old, but I'll post some of what I do on chest days for the last month- (Keep in mind, effective workouts should always be changing, and this is only what I have been doing for the last month, not something I've been doing for all my life)

I'm 6' tall, 155 lbs, and I workout mostly for staying in shape these days.

4 to 5 sets of flat bench press looking like this-

10-12 reps 135 lbs. (warm up)
8 reps 185 lbs.
6 reps 185 lbs. (starting to tire)
4 reps 185 lbs. (more tired now)
3 reps 185 lbs. (even more tired)
10 reps 135 lbs. (burning out for endurance's sake)

Keep in mind those numbers ^^^ aren't exact since certain days I'm able to do more/less reps. The important thing is going until your muscles reach failure, but not putting yourself at risk for injury. Always proper form, and always in control of the weights.

Move to incline dumbbell press-

4 sets of 8 reps each 50 lb. dumbbells. With incline exercises the rotator cuff is put at serious risk, so loading up and doing high weight, low rep exercises with dumbbells on incline bench is not personally recommended by me.

Move to peck deck flys

4 sets of good, clean, thorough movement with a flex at the top of the rep. Usually 8-10 reps each set.

Finish it off with either workout ball pushups, iso ball push ups, or any other push up type exercise. 4 sets to exhaustion with only 30 seconds rest in between each set.

Also, it should be noted that on these days I'm also doing tricep exercises, rotator cuff exercises, and ab exercises. Some of them supersetted in with the above mentioned things, but not mentioned here because you asked about chest, not tricep/abs/rotator cuff stuff. Almost all of the things I've seen posted are good advice. The comments about strengthening shoulders for building chest strength and size appearance are spot on. Always remember to keep a healthy concern for your rotator cuff, core strength, and muscular endurance along with muscular strength. These are things I've neglected in the past and have, unfortunately, paid for. Now I'm back in good health and trying to get back to where I was, although healthier. I was at 155 lbs. benching 270, but again... there is a right way to do things, and there is the wrong way. Wrong way may get you there quicker, but not as effectively.
casey64
3/17/08 8:19:55PM

Posted by Jackelope

Maybe it's a little old, but I'll post some of what I do on chest days for the last month- (Keep in mind, effective workouts should always be changing, and this is only what I have been doing for the last month, not something I've been doing for all my life)

I'm 6' tall, 155 lbs, and I workout mostly for staying in shape these days.

4 to 5 sets of flat bench press looking like this-

10-12 reps 135 lbs. (warm up)
8 reps 185 lbs.
6 reps 185 lbs. (starting to tire)
4 reps 185 lbs. (more tired now)
3 reps 185 lbs. (even more tired)
10 reps 135 lbs. (burning out for endurance's sake)

Keep in mind those numbers ^^^ aren't exact since certain days I'm able to do more/less reps. The important thing is going until your muscles reach failure, but not putting yourself at risk for injury. Always proper form, and always in control of the weights.

Move to incline dumbbell press-

4 sets of 8 reps each 50 lb. dumbbells. With incline exercises the rotator cuff is put at serious risk, so loading up and doing high weight, low rep exercises with dumbbells on incline bench is not personally recommended by me.

Move to peck deck flys

4 sets of good, clean, thorough movement with a flex at the top of the rep. Usually 8-10 reps each set.

Finish it off with either workout ball pushups, iso ball push ups, or any other push up type exercise. 4 sets to exhaustion with only 30 seconds rest in between each set.

Also, it should be noted that on these days I'm also doing tricep exercises, rotator cuff exercises, and ab exercises. Some of them supersetted in with the above mentioned things, but not mentioned here because you asked about chest, not tricep/abs/rotator cuff stuff. Almost all of the things I've seen posted are good advice. The comments about strengthening shoulders for building chest strength and size appearance are spot on. Always remember to keep a healthy concern for your rotator cuff, core strength, and muscular endurance along with muscular strength. These are things I've neglected in the past and have, unfortunately, paid for. Now I'm back in good health and trying to get back to where I was, although healthier. I was at 155 lbs. benching 270, but again... there is a right way to do things, and there is the wrong way. Wrong way may get you there quicker, but not as effectively.

Nice info man props