Chest workout

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » Chest workout
Pitbull09
1/19/08 4:12:17AM
Ive been working out for about a year now and its seems that I can never get my chest to the point I want it compared to my arms, stomach and legs. I have added a lot of tricep concentrated workouts to increase my bench but benching alone isnt doing it. Can anyone tell me good chest work outs with weights?
thisbeme
1/19/08 6:58:02AM
are u lookin to make ur chest stronger or tryin to make it look as strong as it is

Pullovers are good for makin ur chest more bulk looking.. it strecthes out ur rib cage and bulks up ur chest
fullerene
1/19/08 9:00:57AM
Post your current "push" day workout (exercises, sets and reps) if you want better responses.
mrsmiley
1/19/08 6:45:00PM
The chest can be hard.I worked out very intensely for over a year and went from 235 to 169.I got to were I did a lot of dips,butterflys,incline bench presses,and pushups.I built my upper chest really good,and always struggled with my lower chest to give it good form.regarldess,my chest as a whole got hard as a rock.
Pitbull09
1/20/08 12:48:36AM
I may get critized for this but I dont do specific workouts for one area for a day. I just do the same workout 5 days a weeks.

Bench x10
Butterflies x10
Alternate Dumbbell press x10
Dumbbell curls x10
Shoulder shrugs x10
Iron cross x10
Reserve DB curls x10
Reserve Butterflies x10
I work my legs with jogging and I use this extension thing on my bench to do weight training but Idk the name of those exercises
Situps x 50
After 3 sets of doing that, I have a finishing rep

Finishing Rep
Ironcross x10
DB Curls (First I do my regular weights 10x, then immediately do 5lbs less 8x, then immediately 5 more lbs less x6. After that, I rest two minutes and repeat.)
Bench (I do 10lbs more of my usual weight x6, then 15lbs more x5, and then 20lbs more x4)

Thats pretty much what my standard workout is, some weeks Ill change to just strengthen my joints or try to do my max weight to improve my usual weight.
fullerene
1/20/08 4:52:20PM
I can see a few issues with that workout that may be causing problems:
* You are not doing many sets for your large muscle groups vs. your smaller ones
* Working the same muscles and exercises 5x a week doesn't give them much chance to recover and, if they do, may create a "comfort" with the given exercise that makes it difficult to grow the muscles.
* Doing a complete body cycle and repeating will make it tough to do maximum weight/effort for more basic movements like a bench press which requires multiple muscle groups in a kinetic chain...in other words if your triceps give out before your chest, you can't bench enough weight to give your chest the needed workout
* You are doing the same number of reps for power exercises as you are doing for other exercises
* Some of the exercises are not ones that I would recommend

There are a million different workouts and workout philosophies, so please don't take what I'll suggest as gospel. But IMO and probably in most weight lifters' opinions, this would be a better starting workout that would take about the same amount of time each day. You might want to try something like this and vary the exercise, sets and reps after a while as you see appropriate. I really would expect it to provide more strength, wtih a particularly large impact on large muscle groups like your chest. I'll leave out legs since you did, but you may want to consider doing squats at least unless it would be detrimental to your sport

Exercise with the # of target reps for successive sets in parentheses. Do these in order--i.e. all sets of bench, then go to the next exercise

Day 1

Bench press (10, 6, 6, 10)
Chest flys/pec decs or butterflys (10, 10)
Shoulder/military press (8, 6, 10)
Shoulder dumbell flys or iron cross (8, 8)
Tricep extensions or push-downs (10, 8, 8, 15)
Situps/crunches

Day 2

Deadlifts (6, 4, 2, 6)
Pulley rows or t-bar (10, 6, 10)
Dumbell curls (10, 8, 8, 15)
Situps/crunches

Day 3
Incline dumbell press (10, 6, 6, 10)
Shoulder/military press (8, 6)
Shoulder dumbell flys or iron cross (8, 8, 10)
Situps/crunches

Day 4

Pull-ups (do as many sets as necessary for an aggregate number of 50 or 6 sets, whichever comes first)
Shoulder shrugs (8, 8, 15)
Situps/crunches
cmill21
1/20/08 7:05:04PM
Just something for you guys who are working out your chest, you should also be doing alot of pullups, it's acctually dangerous to be able to bench 200lbs and you can barely do a pullup. Also do some incline push ups.
Pitbull09
1/20/08 7:22:53PM

Posted by fullerene

I can see a few issues with that workout that may be causing problems:
* You are not doing many sets for your large muscle groups vs. your smaller ones
* Working the same muscles and exercises 5x a week doesn't give them much chance to recover and, if they do, may create a "comfort" with the given exercise that makes it difficult to grow the muscles.
* Doing a complete body cycle and repeating will make it tough to do maximum weight/effort for more basic movements like a bench press which requires multiple muscle groups in a kinetic chain...in other words if you're triceps give out before your chest, you can't bench enough weight to give your chest the needed workout
* You are doing the same number of reps for power exercises as you are doing for other exercises
* Some of the exercises are not ones that I would recommend

There are a millions different workouts and workout philosophies, so please don't take what I'll suggest as gospel. But IMO and probably in most weight lifters' opinions, this would be a better starting workout that would take about the same amount of time each day. You might want to try something like this and vary the exercise, sets and reps after a while as you see appropriate. I really would expect it to provide more strength, wtih a particularly large impact on large muscle groups like your chest. I'll leave out legs since you did, but you may want to consider doing squats at least unless it would be detrimental to your sport

Exercise with the # of target reps for successive sets in parentheses. Do these in order--i.e. all sets of bench, then go to the next exercise

Day 1

Bench press (10, 6, 6, 10)
Shoulder/military press (8, 6, 10)
Shoulder dumbell flys or iron cross (8, 8)
Situps/crunches

Day 2

Deadlifts (6, 4, 2, 6)
Situps/crunches

Day 3
Incline dumbell press (10, 6, 6, 10)
Shoulder/military press (8, 6)
Shoulder dumbell flys or iron cross (8, 8, 10)
Situps/crunches

Day 4

Pull-ups (do as many sets as necessary for an aggregate number of 50 or 6 sets, whichever comes first)
Shoulder shrugs (8, 8, 15)
Situps/crunches

Sounds good, I have trouble with squats right now cause I dotn have a rack to hold it on and I cant go to a gym so I only get to squat what I can get over my head.
bayonetxwork
1/20/08 7:59:49PM

Posted by Pitbull09

I may get critized for this but I dont do specific workouts for one area for a day. I just do the same workout 5 days a weeks.

That alone is the main reason. If you can do the same workout 5 days a week, you aren't really overloading your muscles, which in fact makes me surprised you are getting much gain at all. The principles of weight training are overloading the muscle, recovery time, and nutrition to achieve hypertrophy. Recovery time alone should be 48-72 hours, yours is only 24. Just taking a quick glance at your current routine, there simply aren't enough exercises. You should really do atleast 3 exercises per muscle group, and 3 sets of each exercise, thus giving you about 48 sets to work out the whole body.

If I were you, I'd go to a 2 or 3 day split routine. I do a 2 day split: Day 1: Biceps, back, hamstrings, etc.(pulling muscles). Day 2: Triceps, chest, shoulders, etc(pushing muscles). Another popular set up, is splitting the large muscle groups into a 3 day split(chest, back, upper legs), and filling in the other smaller muscle groups on those days.

My final suggestion, is you simply hit a plateau. It is important to use advanced techniques to get through this such as burn outs, negatives, supersets, and forced reps. These all help to overload the muscle enough to get back on track.

Hope it helps.
hado3
1/21/08 3:20:54PM
their is a simple anwser to your problem

you need to add variety. Doing the same workout day-in and day-out will only give you results for a short while. after that your body will adapt to it and you will most likely not make anymore strenght gains you might even lose muscle. When it happens it is knowing as hitting your PLATUE(not sure if i spelled it correctly)

u will notice your arms not gaining any mass or getting stronger, along with your shoulders and everyother muscle group u work

u need to add vareity

u might also want to start doing some leg workout. You said you work on you legs by jogging, well have you ever seen a marathon runner with strong musclular looking legs, anwser=NO. Unless u want to be one of those guys people laugh at behind their backs, u might want to start training your legs. You will look like an idiot with a big upper body and sticks for legs
StevenSeagal
1/21/08 4:13:24PM

Posted by hado3

their is a simple anwser to your problem

you need to add variety. Doing the same workout day-in and day-out will only give you results for a short while. after that your body will adapt to it and you will most likely not make anymore strenght gains you might even lose muscle. When it happens it is knowing as hitting your PLATUE(not sure if i spelled it correctly)

u will notice your arms not gaining any mass or getting stronger, along with your shoulders and everyother muscle group u work

u need to add vareity

u might also want to start doing some leg workout. You said you work on you legs by jogging, well have you ever seen a marathon runner with strong musclular looking legs, anwser=NO. Unless u want to be one of those guys people laugh at behind their backs, u might want to start training your legs. You will look like an idiot with a big upper body and sticks for legs

To add to the importance of doing legs, more of your natural growth hormone is produced by doing legs. Ur legs have some huge muscles in them. not doing them is no good. running is not enough.
Bob_Loblaw
1/21/08 11:37:07PM
I think fullerene already hit it with day #2. Deadlifts are a great exercise to increase overall strength. I read up on it a bit, and it is considered one of THE BEST things you can do, if not the best. So since you can't do squat, I would really recommend you giving deadlifts a try. But be sure you have proper form, cause one of the worst possible injuries is one to your back.. your looking to be sidelined for quite a while.

edit- This in turn will help you go heavier in your bench.
madmarck
1/23/08 11:43:49AM

Posted by Pitbull09

Ive been working out for about a year now and its seems that I can never get my chest to the point I want it compared to my arms, stomach and legs. I have added a lot of tricep concentrated workouts to increase my bench but benching alone isnt doing it. Can anyone tell me good chest work outs with weights?

Increasing your triceps might help your bench press move up a bit. But ultimately it will only be working you arms more and will not help your chest.

Chest workouts at home tend to be limited. Mostly all you can do is bench press and pec flys. If you have a bench that inlcines or declines that will help greatly b/c changing the incline helps work different areas. Incline (head up) works upper chest and decline (head down) works lower chest.

As mentioned above pull overs are also something you can do at home but from personal experiece they are more of a stretching movement to increase your size and dont help a whole lot with strength.