I got to get this off my chest....

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » I got to get this off my chest....
Next Page »
Poor_Franklin
7/20/12 1:40:20PM
Every now & then, something happens that causes me to put my life in check. The Batman theater shootings is one of those events.

I am not sure where to start, hope not ramble & apologize in advance for repeating myself from a post i made earlier..

"Try not to ruin anyone's day today."

This is my motto. It's not perfect, but i think it's a pretty good one. I am not a fragile person, but i used to be. I used to be a guy that was affected by negative comments, dirty looks & unkindness from strangers. I'm not sure what changed it, but i'm sure experience & maturity, albeit very little, has something to do w/ it.

I have great parents. I was not raised in poverty & i was the only child that didnt get everything he wanted, but i got most. Yet i still had a 2 year period of depression from age 20-22. I look back now & know i was being a pussy & was being forced to grow up w/out wanting to or knowing what i wanted to do in my life. I got my shit together & have put that behind me.

The reason I bring that up is bc I think it is very important for us to understand that there are many people out there feeling fragile & beaten, lost & lonely. We can't fix them. They have to fix themselves. But we can make lasting effects on people's lives by doing small things.

If you've ever been depressed, you know little things can piss you off. But little things can also brighten your day. It won't fix those bad days, but it can make it a little better. One person's small act of kindness can give someone a glimmer of hope in humanity when they thought there was none.

I don't believe in religion & i don't believe in karma, but i do believe in the butterfly effect. What if you make one person happy today? What if that person's happiness makes another person happy?

So do me & everyone else a favor. Hold a door for someone. Smile & say thank you if someone holds the door for you.

Challenge yourself every day to help make OUR society a little better.

airkerma
7/20/12 1:43:27PM
Do unto others. Always a simple and good way to live your life.
grappler0000
7/20/12 1:52:48PM

I try to live life by that same philosophy.
pmoney
7/20/12 2:04:10PM
Well said P_F. I don't think having been depressed makes you a pussy. On the contrary, I would be willing to bet most have been depressed at some point in their lives. But what you said is true: When you are in that state, you take everything to extremes. Someone cutting you off on the road can inspire you to kill, while someone smiling at you and being GENUINE and asking how your day was can make you cry with joy.

I had a good upbringing myself. My dad was my hero. He was a radio host, and after he passed he got his star on the Palm Springs walk of fame. He loved his job. He was a funny, funny SOB, and besides his kids, his radio show was his passion. Just getting the ability to reach an audience like that, to talk to people and make them laugh on their morning drive to work, that was what he loved. That was his impact on the world. What I learned from him, was that you don't need to be insanely rich to change the world. You don't need to invent some crazy invention, you don't need to be the president... just be a good person. Those are the values I was taught.

Like P_F said, hold that door open for someone. Young, old, rich, poor, man, woman, whoever. Smile at people. If you are at Best Buy, look at that person's nametag and say "Thank you Becky" (or whomever). General consideration goes so far, and it can make someone's day good when it had previously been shit. These acts can also inspire people to change the way they live, and to pass on the goodness as someone did to them.
babalu46
7/20/12 3:25:12PM
Never been depressed myself but growing up my single mother was and I recognised the extremes that she experienced that have been said in this thread already. I always try to be nice and genuine with people because I know the difference it can make. I don't know what type of mindset a stranger is in maybe me trying to start conversation with them or being courteous to them means sweet F.A., but there will definitely be some people it does matter to and knowing I've brightened someones day brightens my own.
FastKnockout
7/20/12 4:05:14PM
I'm glad there's people out there like you, PF.

It does bother me to know there's people out there the total opposite, though. People who wake up to miserable lives and set out to spread the misery.

Earlier I was reading comments on CNN about the shooting, and someone replied with a popular line from the movie trilogy and it gave me chills.

"Some men just want to watch the world burn"

He was making light of the situation, but it made me wonder if he knew just how right he was and how perfectly those words describe the real "villians" amongst us.
infestructure
7/20/12 4:40:12PM
I don't believe in karma, but I believe you can create your own karma...
Budgellism
7/20/12 5:14:32PM
Very well said p_f.

"Treat people the way you would like to be treated."

This is something my dad told me very often as a child and I live by it to this day. I have my bad days just like the rest of the world, but no matter what I will always treat someone with the same respect I would like to be treated. The little things in life are what get us through it. Sometimes it's hard to really notice those things but If I can help make someone's day a bit better just by doing something kind for them I'll do it 10 times out of 10. It does my heart good to see my Playground buddies feel the same way.
tcunningham
7/20/12 6:27:26PM
i also do not believe in karma, but i try to act as if it is real. in other words i like the concept. many people overreact to things and tend to let drama rule their lives. if people stop focusing just on themselves and look at this world and realize that everybody is trying to get by, the same as them so there is no need to make other peoples lives any more difficult, we would all be better off. there are just to many ass holes in the world.
Poor_Franklin
7/20/12 6:54:38PM
thanks guys. the whole situation, along w/ many others over the last few years, really just eats at me. I am angry & want retribution & horrible things to happen to this guy, but i know that not only me, but all of us could all use a reminder that we dont need to let that anger fuel hate.

hated to get all hippy on you guys. the incident just got me real riled up this morning. needed to vent it out.
Franklinfan47
7/20/12 11:59:46PM
I dont understand how people can just randomly decide to kill tons of innocents. I hear where your comin from PF. Shit like this just reminds me that the good parts of this world are worth fighting for, because so many people in this world are messed up.
Boo_Radley21
7/21/12 12:52:46AM
Thats usually what my woman says after i shower her with my seed
ChrisSabal
7/21/12 1:28:54AM
I want to be a police officer. Currently I am going to school to become one and I am entering my 2nd year of school in August.

When I get into the police work I have always said I want to be a police officer in a bigger town/city. I honestly want to change things about the way policing is done. Police officers these days come off as a-holes or 'shit there is a police officer'. This bothered a past teacher of mine and it bothers me as well.

I think police officers need to look into your logic more and become more approachable. I don't think they need to be the people where mom says they will send you off to if you are bad. They need to be looked and firefighters, paramedics, etc. as the real heroes of this world. They need to be adored like we adore athletes, super heroes, movie stars. This doesn't mean give them a celebrity status but it does mean that they are the people we should run to instead of avoid or be cautious around. We can start this way by becoming more friendly.

Just a 'rant' I decided to go on. Sorry if it is a bit jumbled.
warglory
7/21/12 11:20:11AM
I agree with what everyone says, and I'll add that, depression isn't often something you can just get over. I think depression is one of the most misunderstood diseases in America. It's not just someone being sad, or anti-social, it's an actual chemical imbalance, or a disease if you will, that can be treated with drugs and psycho-therapy. However, someone with depression obviously has to be diagnosed first, as with any other condition, before treatment can begin. This guy probably carried the weight of some sort of mental illness for years, whether it was depression or something else, and while I would never justify the man's actions, it's society's weakness in recognizing real mental sickness that leads to these outbursts I believe.

Anyone who is capable of killing for no particular reason, especially on a massive scale, is clearly going through hell in life, whether they admit it or not, or even if they recognize it or not. I don't believe in absolute evil, anymore than I believe in absolute good. This guy could have otherwise been a "good" person, but when you lose all hope and fall into despair, maybe this was his final, desperate plea to show that he mattered to the world? Who knows, I won't speculate on this guy anymore, but I do know that America needs to be more aware of mental illness, and help people the same way people with physical ailments are represented.
jae_1833
7/21/12 4:32:42PM
No insanity, no depression, no childhood bullshit excuses. This act embodies true evil and I hope to watch him burn.....literally.
warglory
7/21/12 4:46:34PM

Posted by jae_1833

No insanity, no depression, no childhood bullshit excuses. This act embodies true evil and I hope to watch him burn.....literally.

Okay, but killing the person doesn't solve the problem about why he chose to do what he did. Whether you like it or not, this matters to helping prevent further occurrences.
Cooler
7/21/12 8:05:40PM

Posted by jae_1833

I in no way am condoning mass murder but what exactly does that solve? Lots of mentally ill people make bad decisions and it's not entirely their fault. To not put some blame on ourselves is naive, we as a society make up the people who are in it and especially the parents. Like when people call kids names at school or deny someone a loan at a bank or ripping people off with scams like identity theft, which has driven some people to suicide or worse. You and the rest of society are somewhat to blame for the outcomes of others, we don't live in a vacuum ya know.

It's not fair to make a blanket statement about someone and shove the issue aside as "evil" when behaviors are just an emergent part of his brain and nothing more. With your attitude we would still think disease is caused by demons and we could cast anyone as witches and burn them. The shooter was obviously mentally ill and if people would have realized it sooner maybe he could've gotten the help he needed.

You'd be surprised how many people tell you to just "shake it off, stop being so sad/or mentally ill" and don't care about you. Take a look at bums, plenty of them didn't do anything to deserve being fired and lose their house but who helps them out in that time of need? no one.

We as a society need to care about people more, not just kill and imprison anything we don't like, rehabilitation is the key and it's a trend that's taking over in more civilized countries.
warglory
7/21/12 10:57:49PM

Posted by Cooler

Posted by jae_1833

I in no way am condoning mass murder but what exactly does that solve? Lots of mentally ill people make bad decisions and it's not entirely their fault. To not put some blame on ourselves is naive, we as a society make up the people who are in it and especially the parents. Like when people call kids names at school or deny someone a loan at a bank or ripping people off with scams like identity theft, which has driven some people to suicide or worse. You and the rest of society are somewhat to blame for the outcomes of others, we don't live in a vacuum ya know.

It's not fair to make a blanket statement about someone and shove the issue aside as "evil" when behaviors are just an emergent part of his brain and nothing more. With your attitude we would still think disease is caused by demons and we could cast anyone as witches and burn them. The shooter was obviously mentally ill and if people would have realized it sooner maybe he could've gotten the help he needed.

You'd be surprised how many people tell you to just "shake it off, stop being so sad/or mentally ill" and don't care about you. Take a look at bums, plenty of them didn't do anything to deserve being fired and lose their house but who helps them out in that time of need? no one.

We as a society need to care about people more, not just kill and imprison anything we don't like, rehabilitation is the key and it's a trend that's taking over in more civilized countries.

Very eloquently put Cooler, you summed up my thoughts perfectly. Props.
prozacnation1978
7/22/12 11:33:21AM
I TOTally understand what u mean

I work where I have customers lie to my face try to get stuff for free and treat the employees like Shit and get away with it. I as a customer anywhere always show respect. My full attention and smile. I do have some friends from work who when we hang out give employees a hard time cause they get treated same way at work. Overall everyone can always change and not be a Dick or jerk to someone else. They just want too
jae_1833
7/22/12 12:48:44PM
Do you all know who this guy is? He doesn't have a mental health issue and was a very well off and established college student. Claiming mental health issues to escape punishment is horribly unjust to every one of his victims. Ever notice how many people do it nowadays? Accepting responsibility for one's actions is a thing of the past. Now everyone thinks that a big hug will cure the world....it wont. Sometimes a man's head on a pike at the gate of a city speaks louder and longer than a man slowly draining our economy in a cell as the families cry for a generation. I would like to see anyone approach a family member of this tragedy and tell them face to face that he should be not put to death but put into therapy. I think the rage demonstrated would be enormous.
Cooler
7/22/12 8:06:08PM

Posted by jae_1833

Do you all know who this guy is? He doesn't have a mental health issue and was a very well off and established college student.

Who gave you your degree in Neurology? You know for a fact he is a healthy minded person who just up and decided to murder lots of people? Oh what a wonderful day, I think I will kill lots of people at the theatre...get real... If I decided to do what he did tomorrow there's nothing wrong with me mentally? I'm just "evil" and basically a "possessed witch" from the Salem witch trials? If you actually think that that's plausible, please get your Nobel prize for "studies in evil"

Posted by jae_1833
Claiming mental health issues to escape punishment is horribly unjust to every one of his victims. Ever notice how many people do it nowadays?

If you went insane and killed someone for example, that was just "evil"? even though you are legitimately insane? you condone medical science? .. and c'mon, no one is saying he shouldn't have a consequence are we? you're pulling a straw man on us. I'm willing to admit that this guy was obviously disturbed enough to resort to genocidal tactics, obviously he wasn't thinking clearly and this idea of evil from above is nonsensical, being as there is no proof of it and plenty of proof that there are disturbed people out there who need help.

And There's another logical fallacy in here, "notice how many people do it nowadays?" .. yeah because we learn more about the brain and how it works, we cant just cast things aside as "evil" .. notice how that word is getting less and less used? it's superfluous to our understanding of our brains and our actions. The brain is everything that we are as a person and we need to understand it better to understand ourselves.

Posted by jae_1833
Accepting responsibility for one's actions is a thing of the past. Now everyone thinks that a big hug will cure the world....it wont. Sometimes a man's head on a pike at the gate of a city speaks louder and longer than a man slowly draining our economy in a cell as the families cry for a generation.

Did you just get done reading a religious text or what?

No offense but we have moved on from such primitive exercises of superstition like Vlad the Impaler would have done.

And haven't you noticed that we are a police state that makes money off of prisons? It actually costs more to execute people than to throw as many people in jail as possible.
jae_1833
7/22/12 8:29:45PM
Dude is evil....be a liberal about it all you want....blame it on a mental issue that no one (except you) has ever claimed him to have. I for one have no sympathy on people who are that unsavory....evil....sick...fucked up...whater it is that I call him that day. He planned and began prepping this months ago and has his apartment booby trapped to prevent the police from gaining evidence on him. All of this is from his mouth....dude has a phd, was attending some sort of graduate school....he is going to claim some sort of bullshit that helps him avoid the death penalty and he will probably win. If he wasnt afraid to die he wouldnt have been wearing body armor and would have banged it out with the cops. The insane dont realize what they are doing is wrong....he obviously knew before hand. Oh, and for your information (and because I am insulted by your previous comment) I am not in the slightest bit a believer in any religion. People with attitudes like yours are why the system has failed....we imprison people who should just die in the hopes we will figure out their issue and find a way to prevent a repeat....this has never happened and those people are a financial burden to the rest of us (some with documented mental issues). Lastly it wouldnt cost a thing to execute people if they were simply drug out on the streets and shot in their brain.
Poor_Franklin
7/22/12 8:36:37PM

Posted by jae_1833

Do you all know who this guy is?

i never said i believed he was depressed or anything like that. i was using my own personal experience to show small ways to affect people's day.

i'm glad this thread got used for arguing
jae_1833
7/22/12 8:57:10PM

Posted by Poor_Franklin

Posted by jae_1833

Do you all know who this guy is?

i never said i believed he was depressed or anything like that. i was using my own personal experience to show small ways to affect people's day.

i'm glad this thread got used for arguing

My bad man, just a little upset as I am personally a little more involved than others.
Cooler
7/22/12 8:59:36PM
Seriously jae? I'm a 'liberal' because I don't ignore medical science?

Since you're so used to ad hominems I'll say ignoring scientific facts is something Tea-party Red staters claim and then say "Nope, the devil did it"

And if we were just allowed to shoot people whenever we want without due process it would be just like the dark ages and anyone could claim anything.
kopower
7/22/12 9:12:12PM

Posted by jae_1833

Do you all know who this guy is? He doesn't have a mental health issue and was a very well off and established college student. Claiming mental health issues to escape punishment is horribly unjust to every one of his victims. Ever notice how many people do it nowadays? Accepting responsibility for one's actions is a thing of the past. Now everyone thinks that a big hug will cure the world....it wont. Sometimes a man's head on a pike at the gate of a city speaks louder and longer than a man slowly draining our economy in a cell as the families cry for a generation. I would like to see anyone approach a family member of this tragedy and tell them face to face that he should be not put to death but put into therapy. I think the rage demonstrated would be enormous.

This. Sometimes there is no helping a person.
warglory
7/22/12 9:14:28PM

Posted by jae_1833

Dude is evil....be a liberal about it all you want....blame it on a mental issue that no one (except you) has ever claimed him to have. I for one have no sympathy on people who are that unsavory....evil....sick...fucked up...whater it is that I call him that day. He planned and began prepping this months ago and has his apartment booby trapped to prevent the police from gaining evidence on him. All of this is from his mouth....dude has a phd, was attending some sort of graduate school....he is going to claim some sort of bullshit that helps him avoid the death penalty and he will probably win. If he wasnt afraid to die he wouldnt have been wearing body armor and would have banged it out with the cops. The insane dont realize what they are doing is wrong....he obviously knew before hand. Oh, and for your information (and because I am insulted by your previous comment) I am not in the slightest bit a believer in any religion. People with attitudes like yours are why the system has failed....we imprison people who should just die in the hopes we will figure out their issue and find a way to prevent a repeat....this has never happened and those people are a financial burden to the rest of us (some with documented mental issues). Lastly it wouldnt cost a thing to execute people if they were simply drug out on the streets and shot in their brain.

Dude, seriously, go read up on mental illnesses and then come back to the debate at hand. If your argument that he was sane at the time of his crimes, is based on his level of education, you really don't seem to understand the complexities of mental illness.

Furthermore, as has been stated several times, no one is saying this guy shouldn't be punished for his crimes, but using barbarian tactics to satisfy the general public's blood lust and need for revenge, will not remedy the problem. Don't you want to understand why this man did this, and figure out a way to prevent it in the future?
kopower
7/22/12 9:40:20PM

Don't you want to understand why this man did this, and figure out a way to prevent it in the future?

So you want to study an insane person? If he is in fact insane, then there was no specific reason he did this. What can we possibly gain? Everyone that knew this guy has said he was a normal dude, and never acted out before. Go ahead and try to question him, that's fine, but I don't see how the shootings could have been prevented by previous studies of the clinically insane.
Cooler
7/22/12 9:42:23PM

Posted by kopower

Posted by jae_1833

This. Sometimes there is no helping a person.

What if we caught him the day before he did the crimes? shouldn't he get help? and couldn't he be helped? we've helped plenty of people from doing awful things during unusual brain states like schizophrenia or psychosis for example, and that's why there is no such thing as evil, they are brain states and nothing more. To just up and quit college is a huge red flag of depression, failing class or some kind of mental illness.. Under the logic of "there's just no helping people" we shouldn't even let people out of prison for minor or severe crimes because "there's just no helping some people"

With science we can help anyone, all the medical progress, you can thank science, that cell phone, science, that computer, science, our current understanding of the cosmos, science.. The fact is, we need to understand even worst brains to prevent this kind of violence in the future, and we've already done that because people get more civilized, more evolved and more educated every generation.
jae_1833
7/22/12 9:43:12PM
No medical processes have been done to show wether or not he has any illness....in fact he is 24a and never even been in counseling....why would I ignore medical science? Stop attacking me bro....first I am a Zealot and now I am a member of a political party you don't like? Dude....I don't claim any party, ever....your trying to say have mercy on a mentally unstable person, which normally would be ok, except the fact that this guy has no history of any mental condition. His parents and fellow students claim he was a little wierd, but never thought he was nutty. Seriously even if he was, learn what science you want from his autopsy. There are plenty of "mentally ill" criminals in jail already to run science projects on. Or how about this....kill all of those assholes too and do your experiments on volunteers.
Pages: [1] 2 3