Cheick Kongo: ‘Nothing worries me too much with Brock Lesnar’ if UFC 91 fight is booked

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Cheick Kongo: ‘Nothing worries me too much with Brock Lesnar’ if UFC 91 fight is booked
Next Page »
Twenty20Dollars
8/22/08 1:00:52PM
linkage

“…. If the UFC wants me to fight Lesnar, I’ll do it for sure…. Lesnar was impressive [against Heath Herring at UFC 87]. He showed confidence in his standup striking and completely dominated Heath Herring…. I try to never underestimate any of my opponents but there’s really nothing that worries me too much with Brock Lesnar. I know it could be a tough fight, but, you know, I train hard and I will be ready for this one too. I am hungry.”

Cheick Kongo talks about a potential heavyweight showdown with Brock Lesnar at UFC 91 in Portland, Ore., at the Rose Garden Arena on November 15. In short, he’s not scared of the mammoth former highly decorated collegiate national wrestling champion. Let’s just hope the “French Sensation” has polished his takedown defense since the loss to Carmelo Marrero at UFC 64: “Unstoppable” back in 2006.
Porch28
8/22/08 1:10:09PM
Herring took him down. Brock is going to destroy him. It will be interesting to see though if Brock will stand and trade and how well he takes a shot. I really look forward to this fight
wrona666
8/22/08 1:43:57PM
If Brock stands and trys to trade he will get KO'ed, but if he bull rushes him i see this fight going similare to the Herring fight..
Twenty20Dollars
8/22/08 1:54:50PM
dont make this fight happen. Brock will strike alittle and then just take kongo to the ground and pound him out like herring to a tko or decision.

Idk why kongo would want to take this fight. Bad Matchup for him for sure.
TuFanboi
8/22/08 2:30:43PM
/prays for a flying Kongo Knee
Porch28
8/22/08 3:04:50PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

dont make this fight happen. Brock will strike alittle and then just take kongo to the ground and pound him out like herring to a tko or decision.

Idk why kongo would want to take this fight. Bad Matchup for him for sure.

So your saying Brock should take the fight to Kongo's strength's? No one even knows what kind of chin he has. Kongo is going down
nickcuc547
8/22/08 3:09:04PM
i think kongo should be worried about his lack of a ground game, because that's where the fight will be for all of about five seconds at the beginning of each round. brock should be able to finish this one off because kongo's strength and defense aren't as good as herring's.
RMFG_187
8/22/08 3:23:11PM
wtf is Joe thinking? He just gave Kongo a nobody so he could get back into the game, now hes throwin him the (arguably) best wrestler in the HW division at him?

Brock Round 2 Sub. ya I said it, SUB
CantAndleDaRiddum
8/22/08 3:57:03PM

Posted by TuFanboi

/prays for a flying Kongo Knee

if he's smart he will
Aether
8/22/08 4:07:42PM
*sigh* I knew they would do this. This is a downgrade for Lesnar. Kongo might be a technically better striker than Heath, but it isn't going to matter because his takedown defense is completely non-existent. He should be fighting Gonzaga. Cheick is probably going to have about 15 seconds at the start of each round where he has an opportunity to throw any strikes.

I really doubt that this fight makes it out of the first round. Lesnar must know Kongo is about as dangerous on the ground as a small kitten, so he's probably not going to be worried about posturing up and getting caught in a submission as he appeared to be against Herring. Lesnar by GnP early in round 1 is my prediction.
casey64
8/22/08 4:31:13PM
Kongo better worry about that damn truck, once Kongo gets a bit clumsy Brock is gonna come in with a huge takedown and then ground and pound its over.
Rush
8/22/08 5:12:43PM

Posted by Aether

*sigh* I knew they would do this. This is a downgrade for Lesnar. Kongo might be a technically better striker than Heath, but it isn't going to matter because his takedown defense is completely non-existent. He should be fighting Gonzaga. Cheick is probably going to have about 15 seconds at the start of each round where he has an opportunity to throw any strikes.

It might be a downgrade in terms of the fact that Lesnar > Herring > Kongo, but I think it makes sense in the eyes of the UFC.

Lesnar appears to be a big investment for them. He still is a green MMA fighter. Despite beating a veteran like Herring, what other UFC HWs would offer Lesnar an upgrade, whilst not being a risk of the UFC's investment losing a fight? I can't think of many.

Nog and Werdum are currently out of Lesnar's rank. Gonzaga, not only has lost two of his last three fights, he is a bad match-up for Lesnar. I don't think Mir would survive a rematch with Brock, but that point aside, why would they be creating a series of fights between two fighters that are not even top 10 fighters?

Kongo seems to the be only legit (and by legit I mean known) HW fighter that is around Lesnar's "rank" in the UFC right now.

I think it is a smart move by the UFC. There are options from all outcomes.

If Lesnar wins, they woudl have an excuse to dump Kongo and it's one more win for their investment. If Kongo wins, Lesnar's popularity and previous dominance will help them play up Kongo as a possible HW contender, which they are in serious need for.

All in all it doesn't make sense to me to give Lesnar some up and comer from outside the UFC, considering what he did to Herring. It doesn't make sense to give him one of the top fighters in the division because there is little reason to justify it rankings and experience wise.
Menard_StC
8/22/08 6:26:37PM
Polished his takedown defense LMAO

Assuerio Silva and Heath Herring both took him down at will. His TDD is absolutely pathetic. He worked on his wrestling.. but all that improved was his OFFENSIVE wrestling, not his defense.
Mchubb316
8/22/08 6:29:57PM
I'm sure he is not worried too much with Brock Lesnar. He should be terrified. Lesnar will do the same to Kongo, as he did with Herring. This time I see Brock finishing the fight. Each month Brock has to train MMA, and work his weakness, it makes him that much scarier as a fighter. The Brock we see next will not be the same as the fight with Herring, he will be better.
Aether
8/22/08 7:15:47PM

Posted by Rush

Posted by Aether

It might be a downgrade in terms of the fact that Lesnar > Herring > Kongo, but I think it makes sense in the eyes of the UFC.

Lesnar appears to be a big investment for them. He still is a green MMA fighter. Despite beating a veteran like Herring, what other UFC HWs would offer Lesnar an upgrade, whilst not being a risk of the UFC's investment losing a fight? I can't think of many.

Nog and Werdum are currently out of Lesnar's rank. Gonzaga, not only has lost two of his last three fights, he is a bad match-up for Lesnar. I don't think Mir would survive a rematch with Brock, but that point aside, why would they be creating a series of fights between two fighters that are not even top 10 fighters?

Kongo seems to the be only legit (and by legit I mean known) HW fighter that is around Lesnar's "rank" in the UFC right now.

I think it is a smart move by the UFC. There are options from all outcomes.

If Lesnar wins, they woudl have an excuse to dump Kongo and it's one more win for their investment. If Kongo wins, Lesnar's popularity and previous dominance will help them play up Kongo as a possible HW contender, which they are in serious need for.

All in all it doesn't make sense to me to give Lesnar some up and comer from outside the UFC, considering what he did to Herring. It doesn't make sense to give him one of the top fighters in the division because there is little reason to justify it rankings and experience wise.

I'm not denying that it's smart from a financial/marketing point of view. Obviously giving him fights that he is expected to win against somewhat well known fighters is going to help build his name and make the UFC money, I'm just talking from a pure fight perspective. I want to see the best fights, I think everyone does, and I think Brock probably wants to improve rather than take a downgrade in the level of competition he's fighting.

I don't think there is little reason to justify it rankings and experience wise. He beat Heath badly and he was also demolishing Mir before he got caught. He's proven that he can roll with the big boys, so why is he getting weaker competition instead of a fighter that will help him to progress his game? I don't see how him winning a fight everyone expects him to win will help clarify the rankings any more... How will the situation be any different after fighting kongo than it is now? Kongo doesn't have the tools to force him to learn anything new, he's just going to use the tool he already has.

I see Gonzaga as the next most logical step up. He's not so amazing that Brock would have no chance, his jiu jitsu (at least applied to MMA) is not as good as Frank's, he's big enough to make Brock work for his takedowns, and his striking is good enough to force him to be careful about picking his spots. I would really have to think about that fight to call it, which is really how any fight should be.

I don't really think fights should be based around politics, or a desire to clear out unwanted fighters or build reputations for fighters. I think fights should be about fighting and progressing your career as a fighter skill-wise, you should build your reputation by earning it not by having fights spoon fed to you. I just don't think that's what this fight is about. I think it's about all of the things you've said it's about, which essentially amount to public persona and money (which is debatable, because a match between Lesnar and Gonzaga I think could be hyped much more than this fight)
Rush
8/22/08 7:37:47PM
Well it is what it is. Honestly I don't think it will be as bad as some are predicting. Match ups look good or bad on paper, but it's always a coin toss as to what they are like in reality.
Aether
8/22/08 7:40:25PM
yeah, I don't think it's going to be terrible or anything, I actually think it will be a really entertaining fight. I think it's going to be more like the Mir fight because Lesnar won't be worried about submissions - high paced. I just would've liked to see them give him a tougher challenge, something tougher to call.
Rush
8/22/08 8:21:55PM
I just like the potential for Kongo to have his ass handed to him. I don't like the guy.
postman
8/22/08 8:26:19PM
Makes me wish Tim Sylvia was still around. He would be the next step up from Herring and would pose some problems for Brock while still giving Brock a chance to win (Tims no wizzard on the ground).
Porch28
8/22/08 8:46:11PM

Posted by postman

Makes me wish Tim Sylvia was still around.

Don't ever say that again!!!!!!
saemskin
8/22/08 10:27:58PM

I see Gonzaga as the next most logical step up. He's not so amazing that Brock would have no chance, his jiu jitsu (at least applied to MMA) is not as good as Frank's, he's big enough to make Brock work for his takedowns, and his striking is good enough to force him to be careful about picking his spots. I would really have to think about that fight to call it, which is really how any fight should be.

I don't really think fights should be based around politics, or a desire to clear out unwanted fighters or build reputations for fighters. I think fights should be about fighting and progressing your career as a fighter skill-wise, you should build your reputation by earning it not by having fights spoon fed to you. I just don't think that's what this fight is about. I think it's about all of the things you've said it's about, which essentially amount to public persona and money (which is debatable, because a match between Lesnar and Gonzaga I think could be hyped much more than this fight)

about the Gonzaga matchup, but I want to see Kongo get his ass whipped. I dont like him mostly because alot of people here rank him alot higher than he really is. He is not a top 5 HW. Anyhow! I'll wager that after Brock dismantles Kongo, he's going to fight Gonzaga and that fight is the one I want to see. I really dont think Brock will toss GG around and have his way with him. At least NOT the way he did Herring. Gonzaga is much closer in size to him and has a black belt in BJJ, and I think we all know what he's capable of on his feet
This fight will happen and I can't wait. GG will be the first guy that can pose a serious threat to someone like Lesnar and his ridiculous strength and superhuman wrasslin. IF GG comes in confident and ready, and after his fight with Werdum, that's a big IF. WTF happened there anyway? He looked scared.
grappler0000
8/22/08 10:31:24PM

Posted by saemskin

about the Gonzaga matchup, but I want to see Kongo get his ass whipped. I dont like him mostly because alot of people here rank him alot higher than he really is. He is not a top 5 HW. Anyhow! I'll wager that after Brock dismantles Kongo, he's going to fight Gonzaga and that fight is the one I want to see. I really dont think Brock will toss GG around and have his way with him. At least NOT the way he did Herring. Gonzaga is much closer in size to him and has a black belt in BJJ, and I think we all know what he's capable of on his feet
This fight will happen and I can't wait. GG will be the first guy that can pose a serious threat to someone like Lesnar and his ridiculous strength and superhuman wrasslin. IF GG comes in confident and ready, and after his fight with Werdum, that's a big IF. WTF happened there anyway? He looked scared.

I also think GG will be next after Kongo. And GG will pose a serious threat to Lesnar...for the first round and a half anyway
telnights
8/23/08 2:11:00AM
Well I wouldn't expect Kongo to say anything otehr than what he said. But I think this is a easier fight than the Herring fight was for Brock. I see Herring taking Kongo down and GnP him out in the first. Kongo doesn't have near the ground game Herring does and Herring was getting beat badly on the ground. I will be shocked to see this make it past the first round.
The-Don
8/23/08 10:41:03AM
I think Congo is a good choice... they need Brock to get a convincing win.. Here is someone who really only has a strikers chance for the most part Brock should be able to take him down and impose his will with out fear of being out wrestled or subbed so much and give brock a chance to maybe get a Sub win of his own... and if GG can win a fight in the mean time that would make a Brock GG fight much more appealinging then it already is... where if Brock foguht GG first giving him congo after would make no sense at all.. this way it give brock more experience and hopely a much needed decisive win other then a decision...
prozacnation1978
8/23/08 11:14:45AM
for a guy who's take down defense is suspect he has alot to worry about, should be co main event but if he gets past kongo i do see him fighting gonzaga down the line. lesnar and velasquez are being groomed for the new breed of heavyweight superstars one will get a title shot next year if not both
dust
8/23/08 2:29:05PM
Lesnar is going to rape Kongo.
F--K_Luck_AuH2O
8/24/08 3:22:25AM
This is the best matchup they could possibly give Lesnar. If Lesnar wins he just beat in the eyes of a casual UFC fan, a top contender in Kongo. His marketbility will rise, and so will his record...the UFC can't afford for Brock to have an even record rt now. They need to gove Lesnat serious, but very beatable opponents until Lesnar's record is at least 4-1...I'd actually wait until he were 5-1.
Pookie
8/24/08 4:22:20AM
Kongo is going to get brutalized, His only chance is to Ko lesnar with a perfect shot, but unfortunately for kongo he really doesnt have much Ko power. He has that Accumulation of damage tko type style but he doesnt put people out and his shots are telegraphed for a kickboxer.

lesnar takes this fight on the feet and on the ground.
MikeyG
8/24/08 4:31:51AM
Is there anyone more full of themselves than Kongo and Brock? Double KO please!!!
dust
8/24/08 1:41:53PM

Posted by MikeyG

Is there anyone more full of themselves than Kongo and Brock? Double KO please!!!

Athletes of their caliber have the right to be full of themselves. I don't suppose you can beat either one can you?
Pages: [1] 2