Cheick Kongo Going A Bit Overboard?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Cheick Kongo Going A Bit Overboard?
BlueSkiesBurn
8/10/08 7:52:43PM
Aside from the absolute hilarity of Kongo walking away from Joe Rogan making him look like an idiot, I couldn't believe he had the balls to say, with regard to his next fight, "It doesn't matter, I waste my time." Now I appreciate confidence and arrogance just as much as the next person, in small doses I should say, but this seemed to be way out of line and unjustified given the fact he is on a 1 fight winning streak and is already calling for a shot at the title. Thoughts?
Naturaldisaster
8/10/08 7:55:28PM
I thought he said I dont care, I just want the title
Khaos
8/10/08 7:58:55PM
throw the guy in against Brock Lesnar, he'll get maulled
DangerousDjohn
8/10/08 8:03:09PM
Go Kongo.....maybe he still feels upset that he didnt get the title shot after beating Mirko. Also dont say Lesnar would maul him. Would he win, probably, but if Lesnar bull rushes him, Kongo has tremendous KO power and has a much better chance than Herring or Mir to KlesnarTFO
Rush
8/10/08 8:03:41PM
No he said (I'm paraphrasing)

If you don't give me a title shot I am just wasting my time.

I don't care for Kongo. He seems to have little respect for anyone and IMO he is not that good. If the UFC HW division wasn't in such shambles I would say feed him to the wolves and then give him his walking papers.

Realistically I think they should give him Cain or Lesnar. If he can't beat either of those guys he is not close to a title shot.
BlueSkiesBurn
8/10/08 8:07:19PM
Thanks, Rush. I was trying to follow what the hell he was saying but his english sucks, so, I couldn't really understand him. I thank you for the correction. The point then becomes, should he be asking for a title shot? And get him a damn French interpreter, I've already volunteered.
Rush
8/10/08 8:11:50PM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Thanks, Rush. I was trying to follow what the hell he was saying but his english sucks, so, I couldn't really understand him. I thank you for the correction. The point then becomes, should he be asking for a title shot? And get him a damn French interpreter, I've already volunteered.

No problem. I had to double check the video myself.

Another thing I wanted to add was that Kongo should have had a point taken off (a moot point, but not moot in principal) for repeatedly grabbing the shorts, after being told at least 4-5 times by the ref.
DangerousDjohn
8/10/08 8:14:59PM
I dont think the UFC takes points off anymore after Kevin Burnes...and no I will not let that go. But anyway he's not that good? He's 5-2 in the UFC. No thats not great...no he dosent deserve that title shot right now, but he has never been finished in the UFC, and only 1 time in his career, against a real good fighter in Gilbert Yvel . He also has 3 first round KO's.
Gipper
8/10/08 11:20:52PM
i think this guy honestly thinks he's one of the best hw's in the world. all he's done is knee crocop in the nuts 4 times and get a decision out of it. this guy doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as nog. i know it sounds like i'm bashing him but i'm not. i do think he's a force at hw but not top 10. he's not well rounded enough yet.
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
8/10/08 11:22:56PM
kongos on the top of my hoping to get KTFO list.
prozacnation1978
8/11/08 12:18:06AM
i was laughing on my couch
Pookie
8/11/08 1:29:00AM

Posted by DangerousDjohn
...But anyway he's not that good? He's 5-2 in the UFC. No thats not great...but he has never been finished in the UFC, and only 1 time in his career, against a real good fighter in Gilbert Yvel . He also has 3 first round KO's.

Yeah and he has a terrible ground game. Hes not that good.
IriShame
8/11/08 10:26:03AM
Yeah, Kongo is a nobody. He would be sick in K-1 but he has no ground game at all. To big of a glaring flaw.
Qorvus
8/11/08 12:45:49PM
Well, it's not his fault the UFC doesn't have many Heavyweights lined up that are ahead of him for a title shot. In fact, I would have him second in line behind Werdum (or 3rd if you count Mir's automatic shot). That could all change drastically if the UFC started signing some talent, so he has to make good while he can.
cmill21
8/11/08 1:34:07PM

Posted by IriShame

Yeah, Kongo is a nobody. He would be sick in K-1 but he has no ground game at all. To big of a glaring flaw.

Hewould get destroyed in K-1.
kaduey
8/11/08 2:40:06PM

Posted by IriShame

Heath Herring was beating Kongo on the feet. How do you suppose he'd do well in K-1?
candynuts
8/11/08 2:57:10PM
Kongo is 5-2 in the UFC, he is big and strong and a good kickboxer. He mainly just has pure strength takedowns, but does not have good takedown defense. Im not much of a fan but he does appear to be improving, he looked really good against Evensen (who lets face it, was there to play the role of the sacrificial lamb). I do want to see Kongo fight a wrestler next, but I have a feeling that they will put him up against Eddie Sanchez.
Rush
8/11/08 3:32:50PM

Posted by candynuts

Kongo is 5-2 in the UFC, he is big and strong and a good kickboxer. He mainly just has pure strength takedowns, but does not have good takedown defense. Im not much of a fan but he does appear to be improving, he looked really good against Evensen (who lets face it, was there to play the role of the sacrificial lamb). I do want to see Kongo fight a wrestler next, but I have a feeling that they will put him up against Eddie Sanchez.

I think it depends on whether the UFC wants to keep him around. Honestly, if the don't like his attitude I see him being fed to the wolves. However, if they do want to keep him, he will have to take on a wrester eventually (and before a title shot) if he want's a title shot.

As for his 5-2 record, most of his wins are against guys that have poor records against upper tier fighters (basically anyone in Pride or the UFC) and his losses weren't exactly to top 10 fighters either. Cro Cop was his only big win and that was tainted with groin shots. The guy is far from a title shot.
ziegler3334
8/11/08 4:39:31PM
I'm going to agree with seemingly everyone else here and say kongo is no where near a title shot. thats ridiculous. even in the weak hw ufc devision. werdum, mir, lesnar, velasquez, at least.
candynuts
8/11/08 6:05:51PM

Posted by Rush
I think it depends on whether the UFC wants to keep him around. Honestly, if the don't like his attitude I see him being fed to the wolves. However, if they do want to keep him, he will have to take on a wrester eventually (and before a title shot) if he want's a title shot.

As for his 5-2 record, most of his wins are against guys that have poor records against upper tier fighters (basically anyone in Pride or the UFC) and his losses weren't exactly to top 10 fighters either. Cro Cop was his only big win and that was tainted with groin shots. The guy is far from a title shot.

True, but to be honest, I do not know of too many wolves that are in the UFC Heavyweight division. And in his losses in the UFC he has not necessarily been flat out beaten (Split Decisioned in 2 fights). I would like to see him fight Gonzaga and watch him get humiliated as he gets taken down and submitted, but I dont think he fights him and instead fights a standup fighter. (I think Lesnar/Gonzaga would be the bigger/better fight).

He is pretty recognizable based on his fighting style and appearance, but like you said his attitude sucks. I still think that the UFC should try to keep a hold of him.. well frankly because the UFC's talent pool of HWY's is pretty limited, and losing a guy like Kongo eliminates even more matchups.
tylerlee123
8/11/08 6:07:20PM
I dont know, i dont mind Kongo he has improved, i think he was just a little pissed that he didn't get a well established opponent
bls1919
8/11/08 7:17:36PM
I think either Velesquez or Lesnar should be his next oppenents if he is getting bored. He is the one everyone should be pissed at being dissrespectful not Brock. He totally snubbed the UFC and left Rogan with his dick in the wind. Total BS. At least shout out to your sponsers, WTF.
Rush
8/11/08 7:21:15PM

Posted by candynuts

True, but to be honest, I do not know of too many wolves that are in the UFC Heavyweight division. And in his losses in the UFC he has not necessarily been flat out beaten (Split Decisioned in 2 fights). I would like to see him fight Gonzaga and watch him get humiliated as he gets taken down and submitted, but I dont think he fights him and instead fights a standup fighter. (I think Lesnar/Gonzaga would be the bigger/better fight).

Yeah, there isn't much left in the HW division. I would consider any good grappler and/or wrestler, expecially one that is strong (Lesnar, Cain, Gonzaga) to be able to pwn him on the ground. With the way Kongo has been talking I wonder if he will be around much longer unless he beats some top talent and I just don't see that happening considering most of the UFC's top HW are very talented grapplers.