Cheick Kongo is in big, BIG trouble..

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Cheick Kongo is in big, BIG trouble..
« Previous Page
marketmaven
8/5/07 2:37:27PM
I am a fan of both fighters. Cheick has an exciting kick-boxing style. He hits strong and fast and looks pretty technical. No matter how much he has trained on the ground game these past few months, he will rely on his stand-up. Anyone who saw the Cheick vs Assuerio Silva fight knows without a doubt the weakness of Cheick's ground game.

Mirko has great take down defense, and has been training with Werdum (who beat Gonzaga a while back). Werdum is a top BJJ fighter. I have to conclude that Mirko's overall experience, great takedown defense and better training in the ground game overall means Mirko's ground game will be far superior.

So then the question becomes the stand up game, and the submission game. The submission game will be non-existant as neither fighter is very good at submissions and save for a rear naked choke neither will be submitting the other.

Now the stand up is what makes this fight compelling. I think both have knockout power, but it will come down to momentum, who can put together a string of hard strikes quickly, accurately and consecutively. Mirko is the harder striker, and has absolute knockout power in his legs. Cheick is younger and seems to be bit more athletic. I also think he isnt likely to gas out (Mirko has had issues in the past with cardio).

If the fight is a slug fest and it goes 2 rounds or less, Mirko should ge the KO. If the fight goes to a third, look for Cheick to have a strong third round with an outside shot of a ground and pound type victory. Absent a lucky ground and pound, I see Mirko learning his lesson and chopping Cheick's legs until he can get a few body or even head kicks in there. I see a good chance that Cheick will get knocked the heck out if he is unable to stop the leg and body kicks.

Overall, Mirko wins in most scenarios (ground scenario, points, ko), Mirko might lose if Cheick can get a few strong consecutive strikes in there, or if he traps Mirko against the cage and gets a ground and pound situation until the ref stops it. If it goes to decision Mirko should win.

This should be an exciting fight!

Mirko and Cheick
richieb19
8/5/07 3:03:26PM
Yvel is a better striker than Mirko IMHO, so using him as an example is very flawed. However I do agree that Mirko is way too fast for Kongo.
Kastro
8/5/07 5:33:59PM

Posted by Taylor8766

Cheick Kongo will maul Cro COp beavause Cro COp is going to come in defensive and Kongo is way better on the ground than Cro COp and he is a better standing fight.

Is this guy joking?
Kastro
8/5/07 5:37:23PM

Posted by richieb19

Yvel is a better striker than Mirko IMHO, so using him as an example is very flawed. However I do agree that Mirko is way too fast for Kongo.

lol.... Yvel is a better striker then Mirko?

I respect peoples opinions but come on man, you have to be kidding me...

If you watched the fight I posted and saw the 2 punches that knocked out Kongo you would laugh, they were slow, tired punches from a worn down and exhausted Gilbert Yvel....

keith-hackney1
8/5/07 5:38:40PM
Crocop probebly still has the ufc gitters, i think he'll win via a front choke or ref stoppage, i dont see him getting a flush ko on kongo, but poss front choke or tko. As for kongo, is he going to shock everyone and come out sprawling for a takedown on CC, Hopefully he's improved on his cardio as last time in his fight with Assuerio Silva, he was gassed after the round 1. I see kongo as one of those heavyweights who will never quite make it into the top 3 ranking at heavyweight, he'll always win a couple fights then get beat by the next best thing. I would like to know if he's training hard as he's been gifted an amazing chance against one of the best strikers in the world. CC 2nd round.
Signal2112
8/5/07 5:50:21PM
I'd say the odds are heavily stakced against Kongo, but man, when Gonzaga beats Cro Cop it shows that anything really can happen!
richieb19
8/5/07 6:22:09PM

Posted by Kastro

Posted by richieb19

If you watched the fight I posted and saw the 2 punches that knocked out Kongo you would laugh, they were slow, tired punches from a worn down and exhausted Gilbert Yvel....

I'm not kidding you, and I don't doubt that Yvel gassed. What I said was that Yvel is a better striker than Mirko, and I'm not making anything up here nor am I a fan of Yvel. Why does everybody find that so hard to believe? The only arsenal in Mirko's game in which he is better than Yvel would be leg/body kicks. I'm not putting Mirko down by any means, I'm just pointing out how very little people know about Yvel's striking abilities.

As a fighter, Mirko is better. If they fought, Mirko would probably win. But as far as technical striking goes, Yvel > CroCop... guess that must be why CroCop has brought him to train with him for his fight with Kongo.
Biggieb
8/5/07 7:24:51PM
I think Cro cops pissed off and training like a mad man until this next fight. He quit serving in the Croatian Parliament and is going back to his anti terrorist attack squad. I think he'll be back to dominating oponents. He will DESTROY Kongo. You don't think he knows that people are now questioning his fight game and talking shit about him because some nobody got lucky. He hears it, and Mirko no likey. Besides frenchies can't fight!!!!, they run and talk shit until an American has to bail them out. Well in MMA he would be better to just get Fedor. No one can beat him.
Kastro
8/5/07 10:06:58PM

Posted by richieb19

Posted by Kastro

Posted by richieb19

I'm not kidding you, and I don't doubt that Yvel gassed. What I said was that Yvel is a better striker than Mirko, and I'm not making anything up here nor am I a fan of Yvel. Why does everybody find that so hard to believe? The only arsenal in Mirko's game in which he is better than Yvel would be leg/body kicks. I'm not putting Mirko down by any means, I'm just pointing out how very little people know about Yvel's striking abilities.

As a fighter, Mirko is better. If they fought, Mirko would probably win. But as far as technical striking goes, Yvel > CroCop... guess that must be why CroCop has brought him to train with him for his fight with Kongo.

Yes, good point.

I still dont agree that he is a better striker in my opinion, but I do remember the Goodridge fight and I know how dangerous Yvel can be, im just not impressed with his lackluster performances ie Roman Zentsov and Ikuhisa Minowa (who was beaten by Baroni and weighs a lot less than Yvel does).

I respect your opinion though and I think they are close in terms of skill, I do give the edge to Cro Cop though.
hippysmacker
8/5/07 11:31:05PM

Posted by nubby

I think most people only give Kongo a punchers chance.

Have to agree. Even though I think Cro-cop will Ko him, I think Kongo may actually be looking forward to fighting somebody who wants to stand with him. Careful what you wish for.
Ultimate_fighter
8/5/07 11:40:01PM
The best thing about these 2 good fighters fighting, is that is free...!!!
Kastro
8/6/07 12:09:33AM

Posted by Ultimate_fighter

The best thing about these 2 good fighters fighting, is that is free...!!!

Yah you got that right..

Before 71 aired at night for free I visited the sherdog website to check the fight finder forgetting that they show results that have already happened, and I saw that all the results and pretty much spoiled the whole event for me.. so im looking forward to another free one that I can actually watch without knowing what happens, especially if CC loses.
cmill21
8/6/07 2:03:06AM
It'll be the same thing though, stay off the net, it's in england again so it'll be tape dely not live. I'm going to get my ass up early, open my pockets and pay to watch this event live so I can pray the whole Mirko fight and not feel sick if I have to read all of the results before I've seen the fights.
richieb19
8/6/07 2:23:05AM

Posted by Kastro

Yes, good point.

I still dont agree that he is a better striker in my opinion, but I do remember the Goodridge fight and I know how dangerous Yvel can be, im just not impressed with his lackluster performances ie Roman Zentsov and Ikuhisa Minowa (who was beaten by Baroni and weighs a lot less than Yvel does).

I respect your opinion though and I think they are close in terms of skill, I do give the edge to Cro Cop though.

Yea but Roman Zentsov is the new Bob Schriber, he's the anti-striker... He KO'ed Pedro Rizzo with the same damn left hook too!
Mei-Mei
8/10/07 12:57:22AM
I thought I'd be the only one picking Kongo in this fight. Like Cro Cop he is a powerhouse on his feet so this should be a fun fight to watch. I really like Kongo and I believe he is going to knock out Cro Cop.
DCRage
8/10/07 6:48:22AM
All it takes is one lucky punch or kick. Gonzaga proved that against Cro Cop. And even if all he has is that puncher's chance, it's a lot better than no chance at all. Mirko's probably going to push really hard to avoid losing consecutive fights, and if Kongo gets that one brief opening and takes advantage, we're going to be shocked yet again.
Pages: 1 [2]