Cheick Kongo is in big, BIG trouble..

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Cheick Kongo is in big, BIG trouble..
Next Page »
Kastro
8/1/07 6:36:12PM
Ok, I have been lurking these forums recently and am surprised at how many people think Kongo is going to win his upcoming fight against Mirko Cro Cop..

Its normal for the average fan who has been watching MMA for no more than a year to lose respect for a great fighter after he suffers a loss such as Mirko did, so I totally understand.

However, I just did some homework on Kongo by watching one of his older fights against Gilbert Yvel and was surprised to see such a poor showing of a fight.. Kongo gasses badly by the 2nd 5 minute round, he has poor wrestling, he is a slow striker (just like he is today in the UFC), and he has an extremely suspect chin (Yvel knocked him out quite easily on the ground with what seemed to be weak strikes).

I know the fight is old, but if you watch this fight of Kongo's and then watch his most recent fights you will learn that not too much has changed except he has more muscle mass now.. which will make him even slower.

Mirko is apparantly training like no tomorrow, all I have to say to Cheick Kongo from France is "Good luck buddy!!".

If you want the link to the fight I watched its right here: http://www.dailymotion.com/relevance/search/cheick+kongo/video/xvwwl_gilbert-yvel-vs-cheick-kongo_extreme
nubby
8/1/07 7:25:38PM
I think most people only give Kongo a punchers chance.
zephead
8/1/07 7:26:57PM
Just like Serra was. GG was. Soko was in his fights with Lil Nog and Arona. Just like Nick Diaz was. Just like Henderson was. Look at all the people that said Randy would beat Chuck again.

On any given Saturday NIght. Cro Cop should win this fight, but Kongo winning wouldn't surprise me. When you choose to stand and bang, anything can happen
cmill21
8/1/07 7:59:30PM
I am pulling for Mirko with all my might though.
Raiderz757
8/1/07 10:41:58PM
i am lookin 4ward to this fight so much. ive def think cro cop will win but i wont count Kongo out. to me he has more than a punchers chance
LaosPowerHouse
8/2/07 6:33:14AM
Both great stand up fighters, but Cro Cop in the 2nd, TKO.
johny_rotten
8/2/07 9:40:20AM
I think this will be a very good fight. Kongo has devastating strikes. He has been passive in his last two fight because he feared the take down so much. He doesn't have the extreme power Cro has, but is much quicker, and has a better arsenal of strikes. I look for Cro to try to GNP as some point of this fight.
xchickox
8/2/07 9:51:16AM
i think cro cop will win but i dont think its gonna be an easy one for cro cop as kongo looks like a good stand up fighter and we dont know how much cro cop has improved on the ground since the GG fight
andrasian
8/2/07 10:12:50AM
CroCop has pretty good ground defense and strikes fairly well when on top. He's no submission artist thats for sure. I don't think it would be wise for Kongo to just trade blows with him though. You never know for sure though. No one really gave GG a chance to win that fight and look what happened. CroCop took his damage on the ground and then took that awesome head kick.

At the very least I hope this fight will be entertaining and not just a quick knockout. I'd probably say Mirko at the end of round 1.
zephead
8/2/07 10:22:33AM
I think Mirko will be smart and not just wade in to engage. He'll pick his spots and see what Kongo will do. I think Kongo might be the aggressor, to prove he belongs and Mirko will counter punch. Kongo has not faced a fighter with Mirko's striking ability. I think Mirko will understand that anything can happen when you stand and bang ( mainly because the 4 oz. gloves) and pick his spots
andrasian
8/2/07 10:35:45AM
Good point. It's kinda what Mirko has done. He counterstrikes until the other fighter gets wary of going in all the time and then he turns into the aggressor. Seen it happen lots of times.
pv3Hpv3p
8/2/07 10:51:11AM
It's pretty easy to say "i wouldn't be surprised if Mirko lost"... Just because of the number of upsets this year...

But saying that I wouldn't be surprised, has more to do with being desensitized to massive upsets; than it is even thinking Kongo has much of a punchers chance.

It amazes me, that CC loses a fight, and all these people that thought he "would be the man to beat Fedor (in a rematch)" all the sudden point out that he is just an average man... nothing special really...

CroCop is a monster... He is the best kickboxer in MMA, and is going up against a guy that will attempt to stand and bang with him... Might as well put a mask on Congo and call him Dos Caras III, "thanks for stopping by"...

CC by vicious earthshattering KO...
andrasian
8/2/07 11:07:38AM
Well, Crocop is my favorite fighter. I am biased in his favor. I've watched all his fights and he hasn't lost two in a row in MMA. Plus the chances of him being knocked out aren't great. Randleman and GG are the only ones to do it.

Win or lose any fight and Crocop is still my favorite. I don't think that it's the end of him or think he's finished in any way. He is still adjusting to the octagon. I would think it would favor his circling style and help him stalk his opponents better.

But blah, now I'm just rambling.

I say that Kongo has a chance. It's pretty much no chance, but he still has it. Hopefully Crocop comes out focused and ready to destroy. Takes him out in the first round like I first predicted.
cowcatcher
8/2/07 11:16:01AM

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

It's pretty easy to say "i wouldn't be surprised if Mirko lost"... Just because of the number of upsets this year...

But saying that I wouldn't be surprised, has more to do with being desensitized to massive upsets; than it is even thinking Kongo has much of a punchers chance.

It amazes me, that CC loses a fight, and all these people that thought he "would be the man to beat Fedor (in a rematch)" all the sudden point out that he is just an average man... nothing special really...

CroCop is a monster... He is the best kickboxer in MMA, and is going up against a guy that will attempt to stand and bang with him... Might as well put a mask on Congo and call him Dos Caras III, "thanks for stopping by"...

thank you! if i wasnt so lazy(im supposed to be working and im on here instead so theres an idea of how lazy i am) i would go through old threads and see who loved CC before the GG fight, then after he lost turned into a CC hater. these names would be posted in a new thread called "people who have made me stupider by reading their posts"
DangerousDjohn
8/2/07 12:07:41PM
Yeah, Kongo has great strikes as does Mirko. I see a big KO in this fight, but see Mirko only winning if he takes Kongo down. I know it's Mirko and he can KO anyone, I just don't see it...standing up anyway.
Gladiator
8/2/07 12:47:41PM

Posted by DangerousDjohn

Yeah, Kongo has great strikes as does Mirko. I see a big KO in this fight, but see Mirko only winning if he takes Kongo down. I know it's Mirko and he can KO anyone, I just don't see it...standing up anyway.

thats funny cuz i only see kongo winning if he takes mirko down. but i guess most people here are biased because of how weve seen mirko fight in pride. lately in the ufc he has had pretty lackluster performances, kongo getting a KO on cro would surprise me but it is a very real possibility.
TNunley
8/2/07 3:12:08PM

Posted by andrasian

Well, Crocop is my favorite fighter. I am biased in his favor. I've watched all his fights and he hasn't lost two in a row in MMA. Plus the chances of him being knocked out aren't great. Randleman and GG are the only ones to do it.

Win or lose any fight and Crocop is still my favorite. I don't think that it's the end of him or think he's finished in any way. He is still adjusting to the octagon. I would think it would favor his circling style and help him stalk his opponents better.

I say that Kongo has a chance. It's pretty much no chance, but he still has it. Hopefully Crocop comes out focused and ready to destroy. Takes him out in the first round like I first predicted.

Cro Cop has lost two in a row. He lost to Mike Bernardo, then 2 months later lost to Ernesto Hoost. I understand you're a fan, but even if he hadn't ever lost twice in a row, it still wouldn't guarantee victory.
cowcatcher
8/2/07 4:26:39PM

Posted by TNunley

Posted by andrasian

Cro Cop has lost two in a row. He lost to Mike Bernardo, then 2 months later lost to Ernesto Hoost. I understand you're a fan, but even if he hadn't ever lost twice in a row, it still wouldn't guarantee victory.

he hasnt lost twice in a row in MMA, thanks for visiting the MMAplayground and not the kickboxingplayground
zephead
8/2/07 4:37:22PM

Posted by cowcatcher

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

thank you! if i wasnt so lazy(im supposed to be working and im on here instead so theres an idea of how lazy i am) i would go through old threads and see who loved CC before the GG fight, then after he lost turned into a CC hater. these names would be posted in a new thread called "people who have made me stupider by reading their posts"

Won't find me on that list. I don't nuthug. I don't jump on and off a fighters bandwagon. This is MMA, you don't have a safety or a goalie or a pitcher to bail you out. It is one on one. I have always said that when you stand and bang (mainly with 4 oz. gloves) anything can happen.

So if you want to have a thread titled People who have made me stupider by reading their posts don't worry about having to put me in it. But also think about when you've made a comment and someone else could have started a thread called "People who have made me stupider by reading their posts
TNunley
8/2/07 4:53:33PM

Posted by cowcatcher

Posted by TNunley

Posted by andrasian

he hasnt lost twice in a row in MMA, thanks for visiting the MMAplayground and not the kickboxingplayground

Irregardless, you're talking about a mind set, it doesn't matter if it's MMA, K-1, Poker, jumprope, etc. Not to mention a fight is a fight, just different rules for each. From your post you were obviously getting at when he loses he bounces back, obviously doesn't always happen. And come Sept. 8 he will have lost two fights in a row,... twice.
cmill21
8/2/07 5:03:41PM
No. He will win. Why? Because he has to. He's going to show the UFC world why he has the billing he does, "most feard striker in mma." It's not a joke or a marketing ploy, he acctually is. Mirko's faster, better kicks, better more accurate combos. Expect a ton of kicks on kongo's legs(pretty skinny legs). After that he'll do what he's always done, throw devastating punches, quickly and accurately, following up with a high kick. Please watch kongo's fights, notice where his hands are. He's got a chance, but Mirko's striking if far superior, and kongo's stance isn't a good one to have when your fighting a striker like Mirko. I honestly expect kongo to try and take it to the ground, he did when he fought the only other notable striker he's faced in yvel, and I think that's what he'll do, and I think thats his best chance at winning. Mirko takes it with a round one KO.
Linye
8/2/07 5:11:15PM

Posted by cmill21

I am pulling for Mirko with all my might though.

+1
Pitbull09
8/2/07 11:09:26PM
I just feel bad that mirko has to KO a bunch of no names to get another contender fight just because of a lukc y kick. Thats just sad..
kaduey
8/2/07 11:25:53PM
Cro Cop will KO Kongo within 3 minutes of the first round. GUARANTEE!!
ultimatefighter33
8/3/07 4:14:10AM
kongo does have a chance at winning when wrestling becomes real mirko is on a path of destruction and kong is gonna be made an example of
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
mikevolz
8/3/07 3:26:28PM
guys, id like to point out what happened to mirkos right leg (his lead leg) after the fight with gonzaga.

now i think kongo would dominate the fight with a simple gameplan. if he circles away from that left kick and continually targets mirkos right knee, i think he'll run away with it. because i just dont see mirko taking him down. now granted his a professional fighter, and it might of just been a sprain. but to fight so soon after that, either it hurts like hell, or it took a toll on his conditioning. and everybody in the world saw that thing twist.

i say if kongo circles right, keeps putting pressure on his right knee, and gets the fight past round 1 he wins. otherwise, i see mirko dominating. we'll know in the first 10 seconds of the fight who's going to win it.
mkiv9secsupra
8/3/07 4:14:20PM

Posted by mikevolz

guys, id like to point out what happened to mirkos right leg (his lead leg) after the fight with gonzaga.

now i think kongo would dominate the fight with a simple gameplan. if he circles away from that left kick and continually targets mirkos right knee, i think he'll run away with it. because i just dont see mirko taking him down. now granted his a professional fighter, and it might of just been a sprain. but to fight so soon after that, either it hurts like hell, or it took a toll on his conditioning. and everybody in the world saw that thing twist.

i say if kongo circles right, keeps putting pressure on his right knee, and gets the fight past round 1 he wins. otherwise, i see mirko dominating. we'll know in the first 10 seconds of the fight who's going to win it.

Mirko wasnt really hurt. He was unconscious so his muscles didnt tense up so nothing really tore or snapped. That is definitely not something to base this fight on. Plus Mirkos had trime to heal up even if it was hurt.

Anyways. I do give Kongo a pretty good chance to win. He is strong and a pretty good (not great) kickboxer and if Mirko leaves himself open he could definitely be dropped in a second. But im still picking Mirko to win because of his speed. I think hes going to come out pretty aggressive and use Kongos head as a punching bag. Hes going to be KTFO with one of Mirkos left straights from hell. Probly early in the second after mirko sizes up Kongo in the first.
Taylor8766
8/3/07 5:03:02PM
Cheick Kongo will maul Cro COp beavause Cro COp is going to come in defensive and Kongo is way better on the ground than Cro COp and he is a better standing fight.
Piccosaur
8/3/07 5:08:40PM
I mean people say GG shouldn't have won which I agree with but look at it this way: GG is still twice the fighter Kong is anyway at least in my eyes. So now Cro-Cop is versing an opponent who isn't nearly as good striking, when GG probably could of beat CC on the ground anyway. People underestimate GG's striking by the way (his punches, not his LHK ).

CC > GG > Kong
cmill21
8/5/07 4:01:13AM

Posted by Taylor8766

Cheick Kongo will maul Cro COp beavause Cro COp is going to come in defensive and Kongo is way better on the ground than Cro COp and he is a better standing fight.

My god your reasoning is so retarted. I don't ussually get mad at people but my god the things you've been saying are so rediculous i'm outraged. Mirko's alot better standing and alot better on the ground....do you even know who you're talking about, or are you just guessing? Please before you post again know WTF your talking about.
Pages: [1] 2