Charlie Brenneman released by UFC

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Charlie Brenneman released by UFC
jjeans
10/2/12 4:55:23PM
Charlie Brenneman is a UFC fighter no more.

The scrappy grinder nicknamed “The Spaniard” was released by the UFC today after a quick, first-round TKO loss to Kyle Noke at UFC 152, which followed on the heels of a first-round submission loss to Erick Silva at UFC on FX 3. It was Brenneman’s third loss in his last four fights, and with a 4-4 record overall in the UFC — all losses via stoppage, all wins via decision — the promotion decided to release him.

After making a cryptic tweet earlier today, Brenneman confirmed to theScore.com today via text that he has indeed been cut.

LINK - Crap News
Poor_Franklin
10/2/12 5:04:40PM
sucks to hear about someone losing their job, but can't say i'll miss him
shaneTpain
10/2/12 5:47:53PM
Other fighters released were Walel Watson, Michihiro Omigawa, Eiji Mitsuoka & Tommy Hayden

Chael_Sonnen
10/2/12 5:48:04PM
Hey.........
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
Chael_Sonnen
10/2/12 5:48:39PM
..........."Spaniard"
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
airkerma
10/2/12 5:59:58PM
It makes sense to me, but it still sucks. It also sucks to hear about Omigawa as well.
tcunningham
10/2/12 6:12:13PM
4-4 with all his losses stoppages and all the wins by decision, definitely a good choice by the ufc. same with omigawa. as the premier org and lots of lower caliber orgs to choose fighters from, the ufc has the luxury of picking not only the best but the most exciting. neither of these guys were that
Bubbles
10/2/12 6:14:04PM
imo that's bullshit. He got screwed in his last fight by an early stoppage. Plus there is no shame in losing to a LHW in Rumble and a hot prospect in Silva. Also didn't he bail the UFC out by accepting a fight on 2 days notice? You would figure he would get a bit of a longer leash.
prophecy033
10/2/12 7:09:45PM
I figured it was coming, good luck Charlie
BuffaloDave
10/2/12 7:43:45PM

Posted by Bubbles

imo that's bullshit. He got screwed in his last fight by an early stoppage. Plus there is no shame in losing to a LHW in Rumble and a hot prospect in Silva. Also didn't he bail the UFC out by accepting a fight on 2 days notice? You would figure he would get a bit of a longer leash.

He stepped in on short notice to fight Story, then went 1-3 afterwards, so the release isn't that shocking.
Bubbles
10/2/12 8:18:19PM

Posted by BuffaloDave

Posted by Bubbles

He stepped in on short notice to fight Story, then went 1-3 afterwards, so the release isn't that shocking.

he lost to a LHW and Erick Silva after saving a card on TWO DAYS notice (and Dana blasted Jones with 8 days)...and his last loss was an early stoppage. Fighters have stuck around longer with worse losses and without doing the company a huge favour. One more loss I can agree with, but right now I think it is too soon
FastKnockout
10/2/12 8:21:11PM
Askren vs. Brenneman anyone?!

...Anyone?
BuffaloDave
10/2/12 8:26:35PM

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by BuffaloDave

Posted by Bubbles

he lost to a LHW and Erick Silva after saving a card on TWO DAYS notice (and Dana blasted Jones with 8 days)...and his last loss was an early stoppage. Fighters have stuck around longer with worse losses and without doing the company a huge favour. One more loss I can agree with, but right now I think it is too soon

I agree it isn't the fairest of releases, just saying it isn't all that shocking.
prophecy033
10/2/12 8:41:07PM

Posted by FastKnockout

Askren vs. Brenneman anyone?!

...Anyone?

zzzzzzzzz....huh....what, fell asleep halfway through reading it
tallica62
10/2/12 8:52:48PM
He certainly looked more promising early on. The Silva loss I won't count against him cuz he is a scary world beater
prozacnation1978
10/2/12 10:42:00PM
Saw this coming
Last three losses by stoppages in the first rd didn't help
frizzzlecake
10/3/12 12:58:34AM
He's a Steeler fan so good riddance!
jae_1833
10/3/12 1:45:09AM
I think this is the UFC Brass actually listening to it's fans......think of all the LNP/wet blanket comments in the last few years. People dont mind watching a war, in fact they love it! Hence Bonnar Griifn being a classic, however they dont want to always watch a wrestling match, no matter how much Rogan comments on control and exhausting clinch positions.....it is boring to all except for the few of us who have actually wrestled. Rough decision, personally I think he should have been given one more chance.
DancingDoll
10/3/12 8:01:10AM

Posted by jae_1833

I think this is the UFC Brass actually listening to it's fans......think of all the LNP/wet blanket comments in the last few years. People dont mind watching a war, in fact they love it! Hence Bonnar Griifn being a classic, however they dont want to always watch a wrestling match, no matter how much Rogan comments on control and exhausting clinch positions.....it is boring to all except for the few of us who have actually wrestled. Rough decision, personally I think he should have been given one more chance.

Totally agree. The wrestling-heavy fights *are* boring. I am a little surprised he was cut this early on, but looking at it objectively, I have no real desire to see him fight again.

Nice guy though. And sad about Omigawa, too.
Dberntson
10/3/12 8:27:53AM

Posted by Bubbles

I tried to prop you, but they wont let me.

I agree, especially since the stoppage was very questionable in his last fight and I would have thought the goodwill from the Story fight would have given him one more fight.

I guess Volkmann better win on Friday or he may be next.
Theoutlaw08
10/3/12 8:38:22AM
Figured. Not sad about it.
thevoodooninja
10/3/12 8:41:27AM

Posted by frizzzlecake

He's a Steeler fan so good riddance!

Props forever
fullerene
10/3/12 10:31:13AM
I'd like to see him fight Ben Askren in Bellator, just for the Welcome Back Kotter retro-visual.
cowcatcher
10/3/12 10:48:06AM

Posted by fullerene

I'd like to see him fight Ben Askren in Bellator, just for the Welcome Back Kotter retro-visual.

scoozna
10/3/12 3:36:19PM

Posted by fullerene

haha...

I'd like to see the results of that fight.
frizzzlecake
10/3/12 3:57:02PM

Posted by Theoutlaw08

Figured. Not sad about it.

Thank you!