Charles McCarthy retires

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Charles McCarthy retires
SmileR
4/24/08 3:17:47PM
American Top Team middleweight “Chainsaw” Charles McCarthy has decided that his last fight with Michael Bisping will be the last fight in his career. The former “Ultimate Fighter” competitor announced on Thursday that he is retiring from active mixed martial arts competition.

“I would like to announce my formal retirement from Mixed Martial Arts competition,” said McCarthy in a prepared statement. “I have achieved many of the goals I set out to accomplish in this sport and found others just out of reach. It is now time for me to lay down my gloves and rededicate my attention towards my business, my fighters, my family and my team.

“The successes I have found in my career are due in large part to all the great people who have helped me along the way. Being involved with the true champions at American Top Team has guided me to become a better father, husband, teacher and friend. Without the great generosity of ATT my life would have had a void. I hope that everyone reading (this) can one day feel the love of a great family as I have.

Link
prozacnation1978
4/24/08 3:58:04PM
i don't think he should, but who knows he might just pull a randy on us and a year or two we will see him again fighting somewhere
Twenty20Dollars
4/24/08 3:59:37PM
yeah somewhere but not the ufc.
F--K_Luck_AuH2O
4/24/08 4:06:16PM
Hmm, I'm not sure why he's doing this. Must be personal problems. I thought he looked good against Bisping.
CantAndleDaRiddum
4/24/08 4:09:24PM
this barely qualifies as news.....
Bonus-Jonas
4/24/08 4:11:06PM
I wouldn't say he looked 'good' against Bisping, at least not the faces he made after taking 5 knees to the head, but he has potential and a lot of power. I was impressed when he picked Bisping up and took him down that hard.
F--K_Luck_AuH2O
4/24/08 4:13:31PM

Posted by CantAndleDaRiddum

This barely qualifies as fighter bashing...
Aaronno9
4/24/08 4:39:03PM
Meh. I cant say i really care for charles. He seems to think hes alot better than he actually is, hes not going to be missed imo.
Red-Dragon
4/24/08 4:41:18PM

Posted by F--K_Luck_AuH2O

Hmm, I'm not sure why he's doing this. Must be personal problems. I thought he looked good against Bisping.

I must have watched a different fight then.
wrona666
4/24/08 4:41:27PM
I loved his battle cry in the Bisping fight....As soon as he did that i was like well hes gettin knocked out...
hodge
4/24/08 5:26:08PM
Oh well Bisping destroyed him and apparently hes "average" so what does that make Mcarthy.
Red-Dragon
4/24/08 6:24:56PM

Posted by hodge

Oh well Bisping destroyed him and apparently hes "average" so what does that make Mcarthy.

I like Bisping, in fact I love him because he carries the English talisman. And although I hate the Bisping bashing he has got a lot to prove.

Chainsaw however would be better off packing it in. He could live up to his nickname better if he became a tree surgeon.
chubbud22
4/24/08 6:47:14PM
IMO he will be back.
Svartorm
4/24/08 7:19:21PM
I think its cool that hes set his goals, couldn't realistically meet them, and is taking the graceful path and bowing out to do something else. Very few fighters are capable of that decision, even when it would be the absolute best thing for them. Best of luck to you Charles!
jae_1833
4/24/08 7:40:48PM

I think many other fighters should take this course as well....otherwise just head off to YAMMA!!!!
Gladiator
4/24/08 8:31:43PM

Posted by Red-Dragon

I must have watched a different fight then.

Ya, he always does that standing turtle cover up that really doesnt work in MMA. The slam he had was pretty cool but covering up for a minute against the cage was not really even fighting. I dont think people are bashing him as much for that because it was completely eclipsed by whatever starnes did on the same night. best of luck to u charles in whatever u do.
CantAndleDaRiddum
4/24/08 9:28:15PM

Posted by CantAndleDaRiddum

This barely qualifies as fighter bashing...

Let me apologize to you, Charles mccarthy and ALL of his fans
jgtribbett
4/24/08 10:06:33PM
ive never heard of him untile bisbing.. but that may be due to my hatred of UFC untile i had no choice but to watch it
PaleHorse
4/24/08 10:34:11PM

Posted by Svartorm

I think its cool that hes set his goals, couldn't realistically meet them, and is taking the graceful path and bowing out to do something else. Very few fighters are capable of that decision, even when it would be the absolute best thing for them. Best of luck to you Charles!

I agree partially, but part of me thinks that when a fighter as young as him loses, they should work to get better, not quit after a beating, but he must only care about a belt, and realize if he can't beat Michael Bisping, he's in the wrong division to be going after the belt, because he sure as hell won't be able to beat Anderson Silva.
CornishMMA
4/25/08 5:41:48AM
He could and would beat some UFC MW's ffs!!! Or he could easily go to Elite XC and beat a guy like Scott Smith to be the co main event on the 1st CBS show, would be KTFO by Ruthless but still the guy is good and had too much hate on him for no real reason, i fail to see how he is a joke fighter with no skills like so many think, he had the crow in trouble before losing in the 2nd, i just know he could still be competative in the sport but its his choice
Red-Dragon
4/25/08 8:38:58AM

Posted by CornishMMA

He could and would beat some UFC MW's ffs!!! Or he could easily go to Elite XC and beat a guy like Scott Smith to be the co main event on the 1st CBS show, would be KTFO by Ruthless but still the guy is good and had too much hate on him for no real reason, i fail to see how he is a joke fighter with no skills like so many think, he had the crow in trouble before losing in the 2nd, i just know he could still be competative in the sport but its his choice

How can you say this guy is good when i know you have previously said Bisping is plop?

Bisping schooled him and made him look terrible. I am not saying Bisping is anything more than slightly above avarage at present but Chainsaw was shockingly bad. Covering your face with both arms most of the fight does not make you a good fighter.
F--K_Luck_AuH2O
4/25/08 8:26:50PM
He took down and almost tapped Bisping...thats doing pretty good in my book.
Ben_Hutch
4/27/08 7:45:25AM
I wonder what field of work Captain Miserable is going to go into. If anyone sees him you must ask.
dust
4/27/08 11:54:10AM
Real sports don't cover the retirements of bums and journeymen.
Red-Dragon
4/28/08 8:10:59AM

He took down and almost tapped Bisping...thats doing pretty good in my book.

Wow your easily pleased.

1 takedown and (failed) submission attempt = good fighter
casey64
4/28/08 10:46:23AM

Posted by Svartorm

F--K_Luck_AuH2O
4/29/08 3:03:43PM
Just realized that my reply made no sense, lol.
F--K_Luck_AuH2O
5/7/08 11:11:29PM
What I meant to say...

...I don't see how anybody can call McCarthy a bum. He went to battle with "The Crow", made quick work of Gideon Ray, just about tapped Bisping, and went to overtime with Pete Sell. He's had bad luck...but he's far from a bum.