Changes to TUF???

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Changes to TUF???
POLL: What should they do with TUF??
Leave it alone 33% (11)
Make some small changes 48% (16)
Overhaul the show 12% (4)
Cut the show its officially lame 6% (2)
JBatch
4/7/09 12:21:16AM
This show is getting very stale in my opinion. I jus want to know what you guys think could change things up a bit tomake it a bit more entertaining.

Here are a couple suggestions the woman and I were talking about.

1- Bring back the challenges. They were actually pretty fun to watch and it really brought teams together.

2- Show more training with maybe one tutorial per show. Where a fighter or trainer explains a move. Kind of like the old On the Mat with Mark Laimon that old UFC's used to have. Even like when CB was all about that Peruvian nektie let him explain it.

3- Show less of house destruction. Maybe some of the target audience lkes it but I don't enjoy seeing guys piss on other guys beds or having guys explain what a double decker is.

4- Put a Diaz on every show. Just rotate them Nate or Nick on every show. Then bring Karo in and let the drama unfold.
seanfu
4/7/09 1:41:20AM
The challenges were a lame reality show cliche that affected fighters ability in the cage. I know you remember the scarecrow.

I think the most interesting and least practical approach would be to add a loose weight womens division. Keep one weight class womens and have another weight class for the males.

Imagine all the natural drama that would unfold with a bunch of horny male fighters away from their girlfriends for 6 weeks with no tv, radio, or internet.

Think about what goes through the fighters minds, "I'm on TV, I'm going crazy, hoping my gf isn't cheating on me, but there's a female on the show that totally wants it, what do I do?" lol

Like I said, very unlikely, but imagine a season like that.

Also, they need to bring back the focus on the mental and physical dynamics of the sport, they did it for 3 seasons and at this point it would be fresh again. Bring in the best fighters, focus much less on pranks and wild ****, and explain the dynamics (which are unbeleavable to the regular guy) of weight cutting.

Explain the intricacies of peaking and the guys frustrations of why you can't peak for your fights on the show. Do a background on the interesting guys and the sacrifices and disapointments of their fight journey.

There are many directions you can take a revamped season like that. Also, if you're looking to inspire some real drama, why not give really unfair perks to the winning team? That **** would be entertaining.
AussiePride
4/7/09 5:28:21AM
I would love to see another comeback like season four. Bring some dudes back that have fallen of the horse in the UFC and give them another shot. Guys like Terry Martin (cant think of anyone else right now).

I liked the challenges, but only the really creative ones like on season two. Some of the challenges on season one in the desert were pretty bad.

i think TUF 9 is a good idea, country Vs country. But that wont continue for very long. Unless they start bringing in guys who cant speak english.

I say bring back the challenges and thats about it, im not all that bored with it and could enjoy another 10 seasons as it is today.
DCRage
4/7/09 6:36:19AM
Of the 4 suggestions in the first post, I would most like to see 2 & 3. I've always enjoyed the training sessions the most outside the fights, and can live without all the stuff in the house.
babytater03
4/7/09 7:44:27AM

Posted by DCRage

Of the 4 suggestions in the first post, I would most like to see 2 & 3. I've always enjoyed the training sessions the most outside the fights, and can live without all the stuff in the house.

Suggestion 4 i could totally do without, i just dont care to see that. If you want purposefully injected drama you can watch Fox or CBS reality shows.

I would really like to see more of the training and a little in depth to certain skills the coaches are teaching each week. That for me would have me go out and buy a TiVo just to record it every week (i have class every Wed. night)

DCRage
4/7/09 7:53:32AM
I now remember another good one that should be added:

5. More Stankie!
AchillesHeel
4/7/09 9:18:11AM
My biggest - and really my only - gripe with the show is the frat-house. Get rid of it. I voted "overhaul the show", but I suppose some incremental changes could accomplish the same thing. Treat the fighters like adults. Don't sequester them, let them go out, if they want to. Let them see their families. Heck, let the audience see their families too. That'd be an interesting change of pace.

I like having a weekly show that features a couple of fights with some of the training and behind-the-scenes stuff. That show makes up about half of each episode of "TUF." I wash the dishes and read a magazine during the other half.
slapshot
4/7/09 10:45:52AM
This show is why the UFC is doing so well these days and Dana was talking about how far they plan on going to change it up in the future and from what he said they plan on a lot of changes every season from here on out.

What I would like to see is a Grand Prix for one weight class per season, winner gets a title shot. Grand Prix's dont fit into the UFC's format all that well and this would be a excellent way to wedge them in.
tepid55
4/7/09 11:20:06AM
I would like to see them bring in guest trainers like Rich Franklin and Sean Sherk so the fighters can see what the level of competition in the UFC is.
slapshot
4/7/09 3:29:25PM

Posted by tepid55

I would like to see them bring in guest trainers like Rich Franklin and Sean Sherk so the fighters can see what the level of competition in the UFC is.

Umm they have already done that... I think karo put that idea on ice for a bit.

So anyone like the Idea of turning TUF into a Grand Prix at all, or am I the only one
tepid55
4/7/09 8:25:39PM
They need to do it for the newcomers so they can see what the UFC competition is like.
mrsmiley
4/8/09 10:24:14AM
I wish we could go back to the days when TUF was simple.
I've kind of lost hope for the show,but once they get enough winners I would like to see an "ultimate TUF" were all the past winners are put on the show together.
DCRage
4/8/09 10:35:42AM

Posted by slapshot

Posted by tepid55

Umm they have already done that... I think karo put that idea on ice for a bit.

So anyone like the Idea of turning TUF into a Grand Prix at all, or am I the only one

Not necessarily, Anderson Silva appeared on a few season 8 episodes.
AchillesHeel
4/8/09 10:36:51AM

Posted by slapshot

I guess I'm not sure what you're suggesting. TUF is already an elimination tournament, with a fairly substantial prize for the champion. What change(s) are you thinking about?
slapshot
4/8/09 2:33:44PM

Posted by AchillesHeel

I guess I'm not sure what you're suggesting. TUF is already an elimination tournament, with a fairly substantial prize for the champion. What change(s) are you thinking about?

You know Pride style Grand Prix....
mkiv9secsupra
4/8/09 6:39:59PM
2 FIGHTS PER SHOW, and more fighters per season.

UK vs Brasil, USA vs Brasil, Canada vs USA, etc. Country vs country interests me.

ATT vs BTT, Team Quest vs Wolfslair, Xtreme Couture vs etc etc... Using a camps main trainers and fighters to coach a team vs another team coached by trainers and fighters from another camp is interesting to me as well, but probably not to the casual fan which is who this show is aimed at.

Id like to see another comeback season with different weight classes.

BUT overall i love the show and like it the way it is as well. The show develops one or two PPV quality fighters every season, what more could anyone ask?