If you could make any one change to a major sport....???

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » If you could make any one change to a major sport....???
The_Metal_Maniac
1/20/09 8:04:48AM
If you had an oppurtunity to make one change to a major sport what would you chose, and why? I personally would chose to add a salary cap to baseball. I love all Pittsburgh teams, but in my lifetime I'm pretty sure I will never see the Pirates crack a winning season. It sucks that they chose to not field a competetive team due to salary stipulations. The salary cap should enforce a maximum and a minimum salary cap and help the competiveness of Major League Baseball. I took this question from Mike and Mike on ESPN.
postman
1/20/09 8:50:48AM
I too am from Pittsburgh and agree that would be great. Now for a rule I think they should add to Hockey that is a little more realistic is if a team is down a goal with a 1:30 left on the clock in the 3rd and the other team takes a penelty. Play the remain 30 seconds of that penelty. I also think if the goalie plays the puck out side of a set area he should be fair game for gettting hit.
emfleek
1/20/09 9:10:04AM
I'd do away with basketball. That's a change, right?
Bowen50
1/20/09 12:53:46PM
Get rid of the BCS and add a playoff system to college football.
aaa9erh8er
1/20/09 1:01:07PM
id eliminate feildgoals in overtime play in the nfl. its first team to score but most of the time if a team wins the coin toss they can scrape out a feild goal with out giving the other side a chance. thats what id do also i totaly agree with the BCS thing
Twenty20Dollars
1/20/09 1:08:57PM

Posted by Bowen50

Yep

And then maybe in NFL, no ties play till someone wins.
mkiv9secsupra
1/20/09 1:31:54PM
8 team playoff in ncaa football. i would rather see a 16 team tournament to allow teams like boise state, tcu and utah etc, to have their chance but i think thats pretty far fetched at this point.
ThaAxeMurderer7
1/20/09 2:28:53PM
I would do away with the DH in baseball. I feel that it's really easy for pitchers to keep going to the inside part of the plate when they know that they will more than likely not have to step into the batters box themselves.
WWBJD
1/20/09 3:54:18PM
knees to grounded opponent & soccer kicks in the ufc
hippysmacker
1/20/09 4:06:50PM
Good answers all. I agree with everything said except the soccer( and the death of basketball) kicks.
gsquat
1/20/09 4:15:07PM
For all major sports the salaries need to come WAY down. They do not need that much money nor does any human. I know people who work as hard or harder than any pro athlete and make a slight fraction of what they do.
pv3Hpv3p
1/20/09 5:54:29PM

Posted by Bowen50

I'm surprised this wasn't more of a unanimous choice, it was the first thing that popped into my head...

Also, I wish they would do away with the sudden death overtime in the NFL... Too much depends on the coin toss... Instead they should just modify the way college does it... Maybe start them from the 40 or something
casey64
1/20/09 6:16:08PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

Posted by Bowen50

Yep

And then maybe in NFL, no ties play till someone wins.

Agreed with both.
Shawn91111
1/20/09 7:44:37PM
what I find funny is people complaining about a salary cap in baseball. That is fine I dont care either way, but for those saying teams such as Pittsburgh have no chance is not accurate. Look at teams like Tampa Bay, Florida, Minnesota etc who have small market teams but have done well recently because they have good management. Im all for giving teams an equal shot but there are some bad managers, GM's and owners. The same Gm's and Owners who complain that teams like the Yankees and Red Sox spend and spend and spend and make it impossible for them, but dont whine and cry when they get the revenue sharing that the teams like the Yankees and such pay.

Rules or things id do away with..

Baseball - make the game go quicker..with tv and commercials etc it seems 3-4 hrs is the norm.

Basketball - The play in game for the NCAA tourney..does anyone give a shit about it? Also, in the NBA..start calling the travel/walk more...5 steps is 5 steps call it regardless if its Lebron James or Jerome James, stop giving stars different treatment.

Football- Cut the preseason games from 4 to 2..is there really a need for the extra 2 games
Shawn91111
1/20/09 7:47:42PM

Posted by ThaAxeMurderer7

I would do away with the DH in baseball. I feel that it's really easy for pitchers to keep going to the inside part of the plate when they know that they will more than likely not have to step into the batters box themselves.

I dont agree, maybe cuz Im an AL fan and grew up with the DH, but I have no interest in seeing a pitcher hit. Its much tougher to pitch in the AL than the NL because of the DH and although a lot of the DH's are over close to retirement id still rather see players like Griffey Jr hitting than bringing his once great image down trying to play the field or rotting on the bench.
The_Metal_Maniac
1/20/09 7:52:47PM

Posted by Shawn91111

what I find funny is people complaining about a salary cap in baseball. That is fine I dont care either way, but for those saying teams such as Pittsburgh have no chance is not accurate. Look at teams like Tampa Bay, Florida, Minnesota etc who have small market teams but have done well recently because they have good management. Im all for giving teams an equal shot but there are some bad managers, GM's and owners. The same Gm's and Owners who complain that teams like the Yankees and Red Sox spend and spend and spend and make it impossible for them, but dont whine and cry when they get the revenue sharing that the teams like the Yankees and such pay.

Baseball - make the game go quicker..with tv and commercials etc it seems 3-4 hrs is the norm.

Basketball - The play in game for the NCAA tourney..does anyone give a shit about it? Also, in the NBA..start calling the travel/walk more...5 steps is 5 steps call it regardless if its Lebron James or Jerome James, stop giving stars different treatment.

Football- Cut the preseason games from 4 to 2..is there really a need for the extra 2 games

I understand the principle meaning of free market in baseball. If my favorite teams owner chooses not to spend money I understand that it's by choice. That's why I say their must be at least a minimum salary achieved. I mean I don't care if it's 65 million just force cheap owners to maintain somewhat of a competitive team. The Pirates for instance earn on average something within the top five of revenue. This is ridiculous, the Pirates management chose to field a little league team but make annually a ridiculous profit. In terms of expenses on the average it's as if they make as much of a profit as the Red Sox, Yankees etc.. If MLB enforced a minimum salary cap every team could afford maybe one or two super stars, make games more exciting and increase television ratings and attendance, and just maybe make baseball relevant again in America. Then again I'm probably just being a sour Pittsburgh Pirates fan. The only hope I have of seeing a winning team is to find a flux capacitor and travel back to see Clemente or Honus Wagner. lol
RampageOwnedYou
1/20/09 8:17:13PM
NO WHISTLE in NFL can kill a play. So during any play: fumble, interception. A refs whistle to stop a play will no longer count. Play stops, when the ball is in possession, and the ref can blow his whistle from that point.

Example: San Diego vs Denver. Last play of the game. Jay Cutler attempts to throw but fumbles, play is whistled dead right away as SD was picking up the ball and win the game. BUT the ref blew the play dead as an incomplete pass. Denver next play Touchdown and then 2 pt conversion to win the game with no time left.

Ref after the game admitted to the mistake.

By this happening Denver didnt make playoffs. How many times does this happen in NFL a year? Too many.

Im a Buffalo fan for the record.
postman
1/20/09 9:29:16PM

Posted by Shawn91111

No The Bucs could feild a good team but choose to line their pockets with the Yankees Money instead of putting a money making product on the field. If there was no luxury tax they would have to make the money on their own and without a cap and no luxury tax it would be imposable for all small market teams to compete
Wolfenstein
1/20/09 9:30:53PM
I would probably get rid of those useless bikinis they wear during Beach Volleyball.
postman
1/20/09 9:31:17PM

Posted by RampageOwnedYou

NO WHISTLE in NFL can kill a play. So during any play: fumble, interception. A refs whistle to stop a play will no longer count. Play stops, when the ball is in possession, and the ref can blow his whistle from that point.

Example: San Diego vs Denver. Last play of the game. Jay Cutler attempts to throw but fumbles, play is whistled dead right away as SD was picking up the ball and win the game. BUT the ref blew the play dead as an incomplete pass. Denver next play Touchdown and then 2 pt conversion to win the game with no time left.

Ref after the game admitted to the mistake.

By this happening Denver didnt make playoffs. How many times does this happen in NFL a year? Too many.

Im a Buffalo fan for the record.

The strange play in the steelers ravens game where the ball went off the guy out of bounce and the steelers couldent get the ball
nastshabast
1/21/09 3:07:42AM
less regular season games in Baseball and another round of playoffs.
4u2nv
1/21/09 9:39:10AM

Posted by Bowen50

thats a great change!!!
Dragonscale
1/21/09 4:10:53PM

Ooooooh!

In football... the play should not be dead until the ball carrier is down... this means, if 5 guys from the opposing team comes and grabs the ball carrier and picks him up, they should be able to run HIM back for a score, unless his team can get the ball carrier down!

Woot!