Can EA change the future of MMA?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Can EA change the future of MMA?
POLL: Can EA change the future of MMA?
Yes 36% (9)
No 48% (12)
undecided 16% (4)
mrsmiley
8/17/09 4:35:44PM

Just like any other fan,their are moments when I sit in contemplation on were the future path may lead the sport of MMA.
As of lately,my focus has been on what part Electronic Arts may play (if any),in the future of the sport.
First and foremost,I would like to consider a few things.
As far as I can tell,EA hasn't ever reallly influenced a sport in the past. I don't think it's been a huge influeincial factor within the NBA,NFL,or MLB.
But I think we can safely say none of those sports are in the current stage MMA is.
They are fairly well established sport entities,as were MMA is just hitting puberty.
Were seeing some of the possibilties of were it may go,and as of now the UFC is dominant brand for Mixed Martial Arts action.

But I think this os were we at times we enter some tricky potholes of favirotism.
Their is no denying the UFC is number one. And they probably will be for quiet a while.Possibly for as long as the sport is commercialy around.
But at the same token,I think sometimes we as fans only see the future of MMA the way WE see it fit to be.
As if,the possiblity of their being any other outcome is slanderous to some degree.

Poundering this lead me to think about the pros and cons that may accompany EA putting their hat into the foray,and how big of an impact it could potentialy have.

Some people may wonder how big of an impact can they make?
Other will say "just wait and see."

I think with the current posistion of the sport,EA won't change things overnight,but I have a feeling their are some interesting things that may pop up within the next 1-2 years. More than I want to put into this initial post,but hoping we can elaborate on later.
Video games have become a vital,I dare say the heart of the entertainment industry.

Now we have in the mix of MMA EA,who is for better or for worse the gaming juggernaut that is leading the industry into the 21st century in terms of software. This puts them into immediate contention with the UFC who holds the dominant posistion in the sport.
What could,and will EA change about the way the sport is looked at within the next few years?
Ordep
8/17/09 9:05:00PM

Having the biggest franchise in sports video games doing an MMA game with a roster based on "other" organizations is an instant win for the sport.
Hopefully this will help turning a lot of UFC fans (self-proclaimed MMA fans) in actual fans of the sport and not just of the org.
postman
8/17/09 9:12:14PM
I think it will help to expose some fighters ppl may not know of but Has EA done anything for FIFA? I don't know but I would be inclined to say no.
Sinister
8/17/09 11:57:16PM
If it does make an impact, UFC will be sure to give EA the rights to make their games from then on so they drop outside fighters.

For the most part, I dont see it doing anything to much. Even if people like the game and the fighters, most of them will be unaware they arent UFC fighters but MMA fighters (Any of them reading this will then say "Whats MMA?", they prove my point further)
RNC
8/18/09 12:28:35AM

Posted by Sinister

If it does make an impact, UFC will be sure to give EA the rights to make their games from then on so they drop outside fighters.

For the most part, I dont see it doing anything to much. Even if people like the game and the fighters, most of them will be unaware they arent UFC fighters but MMA fighters (Any of them reading this will then say "Whats MMA?", they prove my point further)

What's MMA?
george112
8/18/09 2:35:55AM
HOPEFULLY

it will stop some of the annoying nutthugging to the UFC by exposing the US to other fighters who are not in the UFC.but are just as good.if not better.
DJDark41
8/18/09 12:39:38PM
All this game is going to lead to is a million threads on every MMA/video game board saying "Why isn't (insert top fighters from roster) in the UFC?!?!?!?"

And the exposure for other organizations and fighters will definitely help to further MMA in general, which is never a bad thing.
mrsmiley
8/18/09 2:40:19PM

Posted by Sinister

That's one thing i'm wondering about.
If EA does make an impact,and the UFC says "hey why don't you make our game now and drop the lower tier orgs" ,the people at EA may say "We just made a hit video game with none of your fighters (save Couture),why should we play by your rules now?"

The UFC probably wouldn't agree to their terms,and if EA continues their domination of the software market,Zuffa may be forced to sell the rights to the UFC video game back and forth to various game companies. (keep in mind this is a very general summary of what I think may possibly happen).

Eventually if the above scenario happened,Zuffa we be forced with the following options

1.Let EA make their game,but it would be on EA's terms.Thus EA may make an MMA game that not only features UFC talent,but fighters outside the UFC as well. At any rate,the UFC could end up with very little say with what happens in their video game.

2.Drop out of the video game market all together.

3.Zuffa start their own game company.

Keep in mind,I don't think that's how it would exactly go down,but if EA does make a succesful MMA game,something along these lines could in some form,potentialy happen.

FlashyG
8/18/09 3:14:36PM
I'll play Devils Advocate.

I believe that EA needs the UFC more so than vice versa.

All you have to do is look at the history of sports games that didn't have the license rights of the major league to see that its an uphill battle.

When Madden gave EA exclusive rights to its players, 2k sports just stopped making football games all together. Thats also why EA doesn't make a baseball game anymore, they lost the rights to 2k sports.

EA makes its money by re-branding the same game with some small graphic changes and a roster update and re-releasing it again each year. It will be very hard to follow their tried and tested model with such a small pool of fighters to use.

Sinister
8/18/09 3:19:09PM
They will do it because it will guarentee them games and a near monopoly for the rest of the sports life. EA getting the NFL exclusive to them was a big step and they were very proud about getting that. I know its not the same case but if EA is offered, they will take it and there will be no company that will be able to beat them with how big of a video game company they are.

Two big companies coming together like that would put a big smile on my face because it would without a doubt be good for the sport.
Sinister
8/18/09 3:23:35PM

Posted by mrsmiley

Posted by Sinister

The UFC probably wouldn't agree to their terms,and if EA continues their domination of the software market,Zuffa may be forced to sell the rights to the UFC video game back and forth to various game companies. (keep in mind this is a very general summary of what I think may possibly happen).

Eventually if the above scenario happened,Zuffa we be forced with the following options

1.Let EA make their game,but it would be on EA's terms.Thus EA may make an MMA game that not only features UFC talent,but fighters outside the UFC as well. At any rate,the UFC could end up with very little say with what happens in their video game.

1. They won't mind only using UFC fighters as they know they would have the best roster.

2. UFC 2009 did extremely well. Mainstream people will latch to the word UFC before MMA. I also think there is enough room for two MMA games (keep in mind EA is only making an MMA game every other year.)

3. I could see them doing this but I dont think they will. They will stay with THQ or make the big move to EA
mrsmiley
8/18/09 6:08:09PM

Posted by Sinister

Posted by mrsmiley

Posted by Sinister

1. They won't mind only using UFC fighters as they know they would have the best roster.

2. UFC 2009 did extremely well. Mainstream people will latch to the word UFC before MMA. I also think there is enough room for two MMA games (keep in mind EA is only making an MMA game every other year.)

3. I could see them doing this but I dont think they will. They will stay with THQ or make the big move to EA

I think all that is likely as well.
tepid55
8/18/09 10:56:57PM
I think this game could be better than the UFC game, since EA won't be bound by one organization.
breakdown5
8/18/09 11:09:48PM
I voted no because, as someone else already stated, the UFC is synonymous with MMA to the casual fan. How many newb idiots will go to buy the EA MMA game and get all pissy because there is no Brock Lesnar in it? My guess is most of them. We hardcore's get all geeked up for this sort of thing, but the casual fan, not so much.