Chances of Shogun having a bad UFC debut?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Chances of Shogun having a bad UFC debut?
« Previous Page
GDK
7/27/07 4:45:16PM
That chance is about as slim as successfully navagating an astroid field.
grappler0000
7/27/07 4:51:09PM

Posted by nubby

Posted by Buddharox

Posted by grappler0000

The odds are pretty low. I keep hearing the same recycled jargon, which I don't really understand.

1. Nerves will not get the best of him...he has fought in front of larger audiences than he will for his debut.
2. He's fought in a cage before...and even though it's been a while since he's fought in a cage, Chute Boxe has a cage at their facility...he can train in it at will.
3. I highly doubt the rules will affect him...2 of his last 3 fights were in America.

There's not much stopping Shogun from having a good debut. Forrest has 3 chances to upset...a puncher's, slim, and none.

qft, especially the last part. Shogun fights fine without head kicks/stomps.

Before he knocked out Alistair he was losing that fight. Only once he got it to the ground did he destroy Overeem with a flying punch to the face. To me, if Forrest can keep the fight standing he could prossibly win from a decision.

It's hard to tell, but are you comparing Forrest's standup to Overeem's?
nubby
7/27/07 5:05:34PM

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by nubby

Posted by Buddharox

Posted by grappler0000

The odds are pretty low. I keep hearing the same recycled jargon, which I don't really understand.

1. Nerves will not get the best of him...he has fought in front of larger audiences than he will for his debut.
2. He's fought in a cage before...and even though it's been a while since he's fought in a cage, Chute Boxe has a cage at their facility...he can train in it at will.
3. I highly doubt the rules will affect him...2 of his last 3 fights were in America.

There's not much stopping Shogun from having a good debut. Forrest has 3 chances to upset...a puncher's, slim, and none.

qft, especially the last part. Shogun fights fine without head kicks/stomps.

Before he knocked out Alistair he was losing that fight. Only once he got it to the ground did he destroy Overeem with a flying punch to the face. To me, if Forrest can keep the fight standing he could prossibly win from a decision.

It's hard to tell, but are you comparing Forrest's standup to Overeem's?

I'm comparing it but I'm not saying it's on the same level. What I am saying is that Shogun's not the most technical striker. He seems to flail a lot! Which is fine when you connect but it can also be devestating if you get caught. I've seen Shogun get caught but not get capitalized on.
Piccosaur
7/27/07 7:13:35PM
Honestly I'd rather see him lose like Cro-Cop did then win like Noguera did

I'm not really worried though I'm going to predict him KO'ing Griffin early.
Ranman8907
7/28/07 12:05:50AM
No matter win loose or draw. its going to be fight of the night. both fighters are in there to fight. both fighters come from great camps. both fighters have something to prove to the american audience.

i love watching shogun fight. hes got that trademark chute box in your face muay thai. forest is a southern brawler(even though his standup did get cleaner).

i just think its either goin to be fast and clean with either shogun landing a beautiful shot (forest tends to leave his chin out when he throws) or forest getting the best of that earley exchange and getting the tko.

or its goin to be one hell of a fight with a pool of blood everywhere lol
Cladrix
7/29/07 4:28:28AM
Chances of Shogun having a bad debut?... Slim to none...... Forrest is going to get KTFO!!!!!!
eataface
7/29/07 7:28:09PM

Posted by GDK

That chance is about as slim as successfully navagating an astroid field.

I did that once in asteroids 3D.

god I'm bored.
bootyclause
7/29/07 9:55:29PM
the USA is a bigger stage than Japan, Pride is dead so he has to prove himself here and 1 American makes as much noise as 4 or 5 Jpaanese so a building with 18000 americans is like the same as over 70,000 Japanese.

appearing before 50-60,000 japanese fans falls under the "tree falling in the woods" theory.

i wonder if any mma snobs will consider suicide if a worshipped Pride fighter loses to a TUF fighter. man, go Forrest, go!
cmill21
7/29/07 10:03:58PM
I've seen 2 of your posts and they both made no sense. Please man Shogun does not need to prove himself to anyone who knows anything about mma.
chickmagnet
7/30/07 3:16:52PM
if shogun gets hit cleanly he'll go down like anyone else
NatedawgThaM
7/30/07 5:05:08PM
I could see him slip up and knock Forrest down with a knee and then foot stomp him and lose, or Forrest is a real tough and bad motha. He won't back down. He'll slup and any and every fighter has that punchers chance. Plus if Forrest could possibly rock him and take him down off guard then if he threw some huge elbows he might gets that always contraversal TKO(cut) win...
warglory
7/30/07 8:11:42PM

Posted by cmill21

I've seen 2 of your posts and they both made no sense. Please man Shogun does not need to prove himself to anyone who knows anything about mma.

Sure he does. People said the same thing about CroCop, now uneducated Americans see him as a hack after getting hammered by Gonzaga. You and I know Shogun and CroCop are top tier fighters, but people not familiar with PRIDE don't know that.
keith-hackney1
8/1/07 5:06:16PM

Posted by nubby

Posted by keith-hackney1

Machida who's undefeated is a bad first fight for showgun. Im going for the upset !!!! machida via decision !!!

You lose!

nubby
8/1/07 6:06:31PM
I hope Forrest upsets the world of MMA and knocks Shogun out. Everything everyone has ever said about Pride being superior would suddenly be in question. If CC and Shogun lose in the same year against UFC fighters... what would the pride fans do?
BigEvil
8/1/07 8:58:00PM
I'd say Shogun should be worried, but Forrest can't knock him out, hell Forrest can't punch his way out of a paper bag!
MMA
8/2/07 12:14:32AM
Although I believe Shogun's chances have improved since he is fighting Forrest and not Machida (Machida is a nightmare match-up for Shogun), it is still possible that Shogun could lose.

Forrest has better hands than Shogun and he trains with wrestling so I assume his wrestling is good. Shogun is strong in Muay Thai but gnp but his TDs are weak. If Forrest can avoid the clinch and the inside trip, he can dance around Shogun (like he did against Hector) and win an UD. Also, Forrest has an underrated ground game so it's not like he will get brutally KO'd like Overeem.
pharside
8/3/07 12:26:43PM
I'm really starting to think Forrest can win if he can keep Shogun from trapping and using his clinch cuss I see Forrest winning if he just throws crazy looping bombs he and wandy are known for. The cage will change shogun cuss he wont be able to cut the ring off and pound on him in the corner like he did Rampage. if he gets the knees going forrest will sleeping for a week though.
Pages: 1 [2]