Chances of Shogun having a bad UFC debut?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Chances of Shogun having a bad UFC debut?
Next Page »
jtwalker
7/26/07 6:27:06PM
I like Shogun, but you have got to wonder if he will suffer the same fate as some of the other fighters who have come over to the UFC in their debuts. Some have had a somewhat lackluster showing. What chances do you think he has of having a bad debut?
SpiderSilva
7/26/07 6:34:51PM
the chances are good
big stage and fighting in the cage
Gladiator
7/26/07 6:36:49PM

Posted by SpiderSilva

the chances are good
big stage and fighting in the cage

the chances are bad
fought in much bigger stages and a cage many times before
SpiderSilva
7/26/07 6:37:39PM
didnt he lose his last fight in a cage?
BerndRealBad
7/26/07 6:40:01PM
Yeah, to Babalu but he was kicking his ass for most of the fight. And also, this is 4 years ago. He's gotten quite a bit better. Scary huh?
Mastodon2
7/26/07 6:44:22PM
He could get the UFC curse, but due to his fighting style, I dont see it happen. He isn't going to be timid, he is going to get right in his opponents face and smash him up. He wont get nerved out (I hope), he will feed off the pressure!
Gladiator
7/26/07 6:44:23PM

Posted by SpiderSilva

didnt he lose his last fight in a cage?

ya but the loss wasnt related to the cage at all, he was choked out in the middle of the octagon. if shogun loses this fight i highly doubt it will be because he is nervous... i mean how nervous can u be when u have already anihilated the current champ?
keith-hackney1
7/26/07 6:46:57PM
Machida who's undefeated is a bad first fight for showgun. Im going for the upset !!!! machida via decision !!!
cmill21
7/26/07 6:50:11PM
Where have you been? Pride fights in front of muuuch bigger crowds. I think it's more of a curse then actual nerves.
nubby
7/26/07 6:52:10PM

Posted by keith-hackney1

Machida who's undefeated is a bad first fight for showgun. Im going for the upset !!!! machida via decision !!!

You lose!
SpiderSilva
7/26/07 6:54:11PM
wow he still lost in that cage
gotta be on his mind plus I would like to see him fighting with diff rules you never know even with the best
I still think he gonna win but hes gonna have a bad debut(not look so good)
SpiderSilva
7/26/07 6:55:04PM

Posted by cmill21

Where have you been? Pride fights in front of muuuch bigger crowds. I think it's more of a curse then actual nerves.

You could be right
Twenty20Dollars
7/26/07 7:01:41PM
Maybe lose via DQ, kick to the head of a grounded opponent.
SpiderSilva
7/26/07 7:09:51PM
You never know it is a vary real posibility
the-james
7/26/07 7:23:44PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

Yeah thats about the only way i see him losing this fight, i wouldnt be surprised to see him sub Griffin either.
juanez13
7/26/07 7:27:12PM
he wont loose to DQ, his last fight was with the same rules......yea pride defenately had bigges crowds, around 50 thousand, sometimes less sometimes more..........but defenataly he migh go in to excited, and juss rush it a get KO'd.....i still pick shogun of course but u never noe
grappler0000
7/26/07 7:27:55PM
The odds are pretty low. I keep hearing the same recycled jargon, which I don't really understand.

1. Nerves will not get the best of him...he has fought in front of larger audiences than he will for his debut.
2. He's fought in a cage before...and even though it's been a while since he's fought in a cage, Chute Boxe has a cage at their facility...he can train in it at will.
3. I highly doubt the rules will affect him...2 of his last 3 fights were in America.

There's not much stopping Shogun from having a good debut. Forrest has 3 chances to upset...a puncher's, slim, and none.
Buddharox
7/26/07 8:24:19PM

Posted by grappler0000

The odds are pretty low. I keep hearing the same recycled jargon, which I don't really understand.

1. Nerves will not get the best of him...he has fought in front of larger audiences than he will for his debut.
2. He's fought in a cage before...and even though it's been a while since he's fought in a cage, Chute Boxe has a cage at their facility...he can train in it at will.
3. I highly doubt the rules will affect him...2 of his last 3 fights were in America.

There's not much stopping Shogun from having a good debut. Forrest has 3 chances to upset...a puncher's, slim, and none.

qft, especially the last part. Shogun fights fine without head kicks/stomps.
DangerousDjohn
7/26/07 8:57:57PM
He is fighting Forrest not machida
Ultimate_fighter
7/26/07 10:24:43PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

That could happen but i doubt it... i thought Nog was going to do that more than once..lol.. but yea i believe that shogun wont have a great debut, but a good one.. its gonna be a good fight... I would like to see a upset... i love upsets, they are my favorite, nothing better than the underdog showing the bigger man who's who.. But i think Shogun will win... Shogun 3rd TKO
pharside
7/27/07 12:12:18AM
Wow forrest looses on a fluke and now he's a bum its funny how guys jump ship. Some of you make out like he's fighting some guy off the street. Forrest is going to bang like he always does and most of you guys should know thats when we have had all these big upsets.
peachfuzzz1305
7/27/07 2:41:54AM
grappler0000
7/27/07 3:21:15AM

Posted by pharside

Wow forrest looses on a fluke and now he's a bum its funny how guys jump ship. Some of you make out like he's fighting some guy off the street. Forrest is going to bang like he always does and most of you guys should know thats when we have had all these big upsets.

It's not that Forrest is a bum...it's that he is facing arguably the best 205 pounder on the planet.
kimoron
7/27/07 4:19:00AM
forrest is a good fighter and hes going against a great fight in shogun however its not too uncommon for a good fighter to beat a great fighter so i wouldnt be too shocked it forrest pulled it off. i would be a lot more shocked though if forrest completely dominated and got the decision then if he ends it somehow.
Gladiator
7/27/07 1:31:14PM

Posted by kimoron

forrest is a good fighter and hes going against a great fight in shogun however its not too uncommon for a good fighter to beat a great fighter so i wouldnt be too shocked it forrest pulled it off. i would be a lot more shocked though if forrest completely dominated and got the decision then if he ends it somehow.

very true, i would be more shocked if griffen got a unamimous decision than a knockout. thats what makes the 2 biggest upsets this year so shocking IMO. serra knocking out GSP and gonzaga headkicking cro cop. it makes sense in now that serra would stand with GSP cuz he knew it would be hard to get the takedown but at the time it was like that he didnt win by submission... and it still kind of is
jgtribbett
7/27/07 2:30:54PM
hahahahahahaha not gonna be a problem for him.. i'm sorry it just isnt..
nubby
7/27/07 2:49:40PM

Posted by Buddharox

Posted by grappler0000

qft, especially the last part. Shogun fights fine without head kicks/stomps.

Before he knocked out Alistair he was losing that fight. Only once he got it to the ground did he destroy Overeem with a flying punch to the face. To me, if Forrest can keep the fight standing he could prossibly win from a decision.
SteedTheDeed
7/27/07 3:21:54PM
CHUTE BOXE HAS CAGES, HE TRAINS IN CAGES OFTEN!! enough of "the cage will work against him", he might lose but it won't be the cages fault.
warglory
7/27/07 3:57:00PM
Gee, I remember seeing threads like this...

- GSP is gonna dominate Serra! He has no chance!
- Gonzaga is a good wrestler, but CroCop is going to win LHK!
- Couture was only brought in because there was no other competition right now for Sylvia, he should stay retired.
- Henderson's a good fighter but PRIDE is making a mistake putting up against Wanderlei.

People's unabashed confidence in one fighter is humorous to me. After the events of this year, to say Shogun's win over Forrest is inevitable is based purely on MMAth. Forrest is a tough mother ****** with only 4 losses, two of which were to split decisions.

Personally, I think that Shogun will win just because he is a veteran of fighting some great competition while Forrest hasn't really proven himself yet with A game fighters and he also has problems finishing opponents. However, to say that Shogun is going to annihilate Forrest is just foolish. Yes, it is possible, but I don't see it happening.
Signal2112
7/27/07 4:08:38PM

the chances are good
big stage

He's fought on bigger stages than this before.
Pages: [1] 2