How much of a chance do you really believe Marquardt has to win?

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA Playground Game Talk » How much of a chance do you really believe Marquardt has to win?
Scott_Revels
6/25/07 12:22:27AM
Just curious, because I don't want to pick Nate, and then he get pulverized (yeah, pun intended after last night.), by Silva. Who do you guys think will win, and what chance do you give Nate to actually win?
npayant
6/25/07 2:11:14AM
I think Nate has a great chance to win (probably a better chance than most people are giving him)...he probably has the best chance right now at 185 than anyone...

Great stand-up, wrestling, submissions, etc. It may turn out to be one of those boring fights, but Nate doesn't care about that...he just wants the win...he has a great chance of taking Silva down and dominating the GnP

In saying all of that...I still have the safe choice - Silva KO/TKO 2nd or 3rd...
Silva is an animal at times in the stand-up...I think he'll overwhelm Nate with punches, knees and kicks... Plus I think he learned from the Lutter fight that he needed to work on take down defense...AND when he fought Lutter he was more worried about getting Submitted...that isn't so much the case with Nate...

I don't know...just my opinion...the way things have been going this year...expect the unexpected...
CornishMMA
6/25/07 9:22:32AM
Im definately going to wager and pick Nate, he has more ways to win that Silva, im sure he cant take him down and GnP him and maybe sub him, and he will be able to do enough to survive the standup, he is good at not getting hit
cincyassasin
6/25/07 9:30:31AM
I'd say his chances are real good.........I picked him and bet on him so now I'll just sit back and collect my points and money.
LightsOut33093
6/25/07 11:03:00AM
although i have virtually no money
babalu2720
6/25/07 6:10:51PM
Nate is good at avoiing damage and even if its late into the fight he can pull a sub off
nellyhiphophead
6/25/07 6:21:46PM
40% i would say very good chance he could pull it off.
chuckw94
6/25/07 6:29:39PM
he has a better chance than rich franklin does. but i think anderson will win by ko.
aznteabagger
6/25/07 10:23:57PM
0%
silva 3rd (t)ko
Piccosaur
6/25/07 11:22:45PM
Enough to bet a third of my money on him.
senator
6/25/07 11:35:08PM
Everyones got a strikers chance. Although I don't know how many people thought Silva could man handle Franklin like he did. Should be a good fight real unpredictable cause Silva hasn't fought for a while.
Metafour
6/26/07 4:29:58PM
I think he does have a fairly good chance to win the fight but I would say Anderson takes it based on the following
-Anderson can and has proved in the past he can end a fight with strikes from any position.
-Silva has finished 14 out of his 18 wins
-He has beaten Hayato Sakurai, Jeremy Horn, Lee Murray, Rich Franklin, Travis Lutter.
-The only rough loss he has taken has been at the hands of Daiju Takase several years ago. His loss to Okami came by a DQ from an upkick that would have finished the fight had he been fighting in Pride rules. He stated after the fight with Okami that he was unsure that his move was against the rules. He was in my view winning his fight against Ryo before he got caught in one of the best submissions ever.
-Overall Anderson's record is much more impressive than Nate Marquardt.
-The top fighters that Nathan has beat have been Kazuo Misaki, Joe Doerksen and Dean Lister all by decisions.
-Marquardt most likely roided throughout his entire career in Japan knowing that the testing is not the same as it is in North America.
-Comparing their last 4 fights which they have both won all of Anderson has finished all of them with 3 by KO/TKO & 1 Submission. Nathan on the other hand has went to decision on 3 out of the 4 of his last fights. He lacks finishing power and in a 5 round fight with a guy who has the striking and BJJ skills of Silva he will most likely get caught eventually.
-If he tries to take Silva down and pound out a boring decision the fight is going to continously be stood up and this will work in Silva's favor.

Silva by KO/TKO round 3. Just my 2 cents.
Scott_Revels
6/26/07 9:59:34PM
I put all $1080 of my money onto Nate.. I really hope he wins, but i'm thinking he won't.. I don't really care about the wager stuff that much, so i'm okay with losing.. It's a Win-Win really, because I picked Anderson to win, but i'm betting on Nate.. If I cared about the money, i'd be worried about losing it, but I don't really care that much.. and if Nate does win, my career record would be scratched, but it'd be scratched either way, because i'd pick Anderson 8/10 times in this fight..
gcraig22
7/1/07 9:59:41PM
Nate has never been knocked out. Silva has no takedown defense. I think Silva's submissions are over-rated. Nate won't be afraid of Silva.
kimoron
7/4/07 3:30:05AM

Posted by Metafour

I think he does have a fairly good chance to win the fight but I would say Anderson takes it based on the following
-Anderson can and has proved in the past he can end a fight with strikes from any position.
-Silva has finished 14 out of his 18 wins
-He has beaten Hayato Sakurai, Jeremy Horn, Lee Murray, Rich Franklin, Travis Lutter.
-The only rough loss he has taken has been at the hands of Daiju Takase several years ago. His loss to Okami came by a DQ from an upkick that would have finished the fight had he been fighting in Pride rules. He stated after the fight with Okami that he was unsure that his move was against the rules. He was in my view winning his fight against Ryo before he got caught in one of the best submissions ever.
-Overall Anderson's record is much more impressive than Nate Marquardt.
-The top fighters that Nathan has beat have been Kazuo Misaki, Joe Doerksen and Dean Lister all by decisions.
-Marquardt most likely roided throughout his entire career in Japan knowing that the testing is not the same as it is in North America.
-Comparing their last 4 fights which they have both won all of Anderson has finished all of them with 3 by KO/TKO & 1 Submission. Nathan on the other hand has went to decision on 3 out of the 4 of his last fights. He lacks finishing power and in a 5 round fight with a guy who has the striking and BJJ skills of Silva he will most likely get caught eventually.
-If he tries to take Silva down and pound out a boring decision the fight is going to continously be stood up and this will work in Silva's favor.

Silva by KO/TKO round 3. Just my 2 cents.

i was thinking the same thing. maybe you have my 2 cents.
TOMMYAYO05
7/4/07 5:37:12PM
Really anyone has a chance but if u think Nate is going to win ur not very smart im takinin Silva hands down i say tko in the 2nd maybe 3rd and for whoevr said his ground game is overrated he just tapped out Travis Lutter.Rich Franklin is the only one with a chance and u saw how that went.
TroubleMan
7/6/07 9:15:27PM

Marquadt has an excellent chance to win this fight, but I don't think he will. He obviously has to win on the ground, but if you watched Silva's Pride fights and those in England, he has an excellent guard. He uses he long arms and legs to tie you up (that's how he got the Spider nickname). In Pride he received yellow cards for this, but in the UFC it will win him a standup. So I'm thinking the fight will go like this:

1. They dance around on the feet a little until Nate takes a decent shot from Silva.
2. Nate takes Silva down.
3. Silva ties Nate up.
4. The ref stands them up.
5. Wash, rinse, repeat for 2-4 rounds until Silva finally catches Nate with a big shot and KO's him.

In fact, I think Nate might win the first 2 or so rounds, but eventually I think that it will get stood up enough that Silva will KO him late...maybe 4th or 5th round.

That's just my guess. However, Nate has a chance to ground and pound a decision win - a very good chance. I just think in a 5 round fight, he'll eventually be caught...and being rocked in the 4th or 5th round (when you're tired) by a guy like Silva should be the end of the fight. Silva knows how to finish a guy he's hurt.
TOMMYAYO05
7/7/07 5:40:16PM
WarMachine
7/7/07 6:59:33PM
nate will win in the 4th rd.
TroubleMan
7/8/07 2:31:28AM

I was almost right. Silva caught him a lot earlier than I expected.