UFC champion Jon Jones arrested on DUI charge, management 'still gathering facts'

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » UFC champion Jon Jones arrested on DUI charge, management 'still gathering facts'
Next Page »
grappler0000
5/19/12 1:56:00PM
One of the biggest and most marketable stars in the UFC has been arrested on suspicion of DUI.

Jon Jones, the UFC's reigning light-heavyweight champion, was arrested early this morning after crashing his Bentley in Binghamton, N.Y.

Jones' management team confirmed the arrest today but stated, "The facts of this situation are still being gathered and situated."

The Broome County Sheriff's department reportedly took Jones, 24, into custody earlier today at approximately 5 a.m. ET, according to TMZSports.com. According to the report, he crashed his car into a utility pole, and his mom bailed him out a few hours later...

Full Story
ncordless
5/19/12 2:22:10PM
Wrapping the ole' Bentley around a pole . . . right of passage for the young, rich, and famous. This won't do anything good for a fighter who many people already don't like.
FastKnockout
5/19/12 2:26:33PM
We all make mistakes, but it only takes one to ruin your life. Hope he learns from this.
SmileR
5/19/12 2:33:58PM
casketcoin
5/19/12 2:56:22PM
Hope he was drinking BUD LIGHT
Manak
5/19/12 2:59:43PM
i wonder if he will get a tiger now.
KungFuMaster
5/19/12 3:15:42PM
When you are immature, this is what happens.

Maybe this incident will open up a new scope on life for Jones.
ncordless
5/19/12 3:16:59PM
. . .and NEW light heavyweight champion of the world . . . Utility Pole!!!!!!!
thepitbull00
5/19/12 3:18:26PM

Posted by ncordless

. . .and NEW light heavyweight champion of the world . . . Utility Pole!!!!!!!

bjj1605
5/19/12 3:29:02PM
This doesn't surprise me at all. He's a really young guy with lots of money and fame. He probably thinks he is invincible.

I just hope this doesn't negatively affect the sport.
ncordless
5/19/12 3:38:27PM

Posted by bjj1605

This doesn't surprise me at all. He's a really young guy with lots of money and fame. He probably thinks he is invincible.

Besides sinking the idea of having a fighter sponsored by NIKE anytime soon, probably won't hurt the sport too much as it is not all that uncommon for athletes to get in trouble.

I wonder how Anheiser-Busch is gonna react.
KingCmb
5/19/12 3:45:39PM
the sure sign of a squeeky clean image gone bad

always drink responsibly johhny

i shouldnt be happy but i just hate that he thinks hes so high and mighty
pmoney
5/19/12 3:48:39PM

Posted by bjj1605

This does surprise me, but at the same time it doesn't. You know this motherfucker can afford a taxi. What's he doing driving a Bentley drunk? He must not have heard of Dante Stallworth.

Speaking of NFL references, there are so many more criminals in that organization alone than the UFC it's insane. Half the fucking NFLPA goes to jail during the off season. Anyone who would try to use this as a "UFC is bad!" example is a fucking hypocrite of the highest order, and unfamiliar with mainstream sports. Again, this isn't a good situation at all, but the volume and severity of crimes committed by pro athletes in other sports is much higher.
backalley101
5/19/12 3:48:56PM
Jon instead of being like water try drinking it lol
BuffaloDave
5/19/12 3:54:46PM
Wonder if Greg Jackson, told him to go check on the car....

I bet Ross Pearson is tipping a drink Jones right about now for taking the heat of him.
Sir_Karl
5/19/12 4:19:24PM

Posted by FastKnockout

We all make mistakes, but it only takes one to ruin your life. Hope he learns from this.

Who the hell cares if he puts his own life in jeopardy????????

By DRIVING UNDER THE INFLUENCE he put the lives of other people in jeopardy.

These "mistakes" that we all supposedly make are not mistakes if he was driving
UNDER THE INFLUENCE.

I hope he learns from this too...but I hope he learns that it is not cool and not acceptable to drive under the influence and put innocent people's lives at risk....as far as I am concerned he can drink, smoke or snort his own life away....but once he put others at risk...he crossed a serious line.

Big difference.

Pookie
5/19/12 4:19:51PM

Posted by SmileR

prophecy033
5/19/12 4:20:16PM
Come on Jones, use your damn head!!! You have family and not just that there are other people on the road with families. I'm not gonna trash the guy because I've drove drunk as well and you know what they say....don't throw stones of you live in a glass house
Pookie
5/19/12 4:23:07PM
I'm laughing on the inside, because now Chael_Sonnen can't bring up Rampage's energy-drink-police-chase in Jon Jones threads anymore.
Chael_Sonnen
5/19/12 4:46:10PM
Awesome!

Look on the bright side Jonesy - - - at least you didn't pull a freeway chase like Rampage did, all coked up on Monster - sugar free energy drinks
tallica62
5/19/12 4:55:09PM
so he is human....
prophecy033
5/19/12 5:07:43PM
@Chael_Sonnen- that is the GREATEST av Ever....Ever
prophecy033
5/19/12 5:12:32PM

Posted by Sir_Karl

Posted by FastKnockout

UNDER THE INFLUENCE.

I hope he learns from this too...but I hope he learns that it is not cool and not acceptable to drive under the influence and put innocent people's lives at risk....as far as I am concerned he can drink, smoke or snort his own life away....but once he put others at risk...he crossed a serious line.

Big difference.

wouldn't killing someone also ruin your own life? I know it would mine and my families
lohmann
5/19/12 5:26:33PM
And he will buy a new Bentley.

The sort of stuff that detractors of Jones will bring up in every Jones discussion to criticize his personality. Definitely not a good day, but I know too many people with DUIs personally to hammer him on this particular incident. Well, except the fact that nothing screams flashy and entitled like driving a Bentley into a pole.

Personally, I just hope Henderson H-bombs Jones's face like that pole trashed his car.
mrsmiley
5/19/12 5:43:37PM
Some where old man Hendo laughs. He deal with the devil is already working.HAHAHAH!
jlock003
5/19/12 6:04:22PM
It's never a good thing when any individual decides to put other's lives in danger, and I agree that it's even less logical when the driver happens to have more than enough money to call a cab. Heck I'd be willing to bet anybody in the bar would be willing to drive the guy home. My qualm is more about the fact that Jones has publicly stated that he doesn't drink or use drugs at all. He's attached it to a religious stance and maintained a level of arrogance within that facet of his personality. I don't have an issue with people making mistakes, even when it comes to a DUI (I don't endorse it but many many many people make that very mistake as has been pointed out several times already) but to make a claim like "I don't drink ever" and to turn around and get hit with a DUI as you reach the height of your current stardom is frustrating to see. His arrogance appears more evident in this arrest than in any interview I've ever seen. Hopefully he'll just come clean and own up to his mistake, but conventional logic says everyone in his camp and his publicist will do everything they can to sweep it under the rug while they continue to "gather facts."

I hate when I have to do this, but once I wrote the post I went back and searched for Jone's "I don't drink statement" and quite honestly I can't find it, but I have found places where he talks about times where he would go out and party because he's 24, so I'm eating my words here. Still not a good thing, but the hypocrisy that I had insinuated was misplaced. Now if someone else thinks they saw that behind the scenes footage where Jones says something like that please let me know lol. Until then I'm going to go lick my misinformed wounds.
prozacnation1978
5/19/12 6:09:34PM
I feel sorry for the bentley
FastKnockout
5/19/12 6:15:43PM

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by Sir_Karl

Posted by FastKnockout

UNDER THE INFLUENCE.

Big difference.

wouldn't killing someone also ruin your own life? I know it would mine and my families

Exactly. This is what I was going for but I could've worded it better.
mrsmiley
5/19/12 6:31:43PM
I hope he's alright. I'll be praying from him.
Bubbles
5/19/12 6:44:33PM
what a tool. Seriously, only an idiot gets behind the wheel while drunk...and yes I know a couple people with DUIs and they are idiots for doing so. Good people but completely stupid decision
Pages: [1] 2