Former UFC champ Matt Hughes latest UFC Hall of Fame inductee

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Former UFC champ Matt Hughes latest UFC Hall of Fame inductee
jae_1833
5/28/10 11:18:32PM
link
LAS VEGAS – Nine-time UFC welterweight champion Matt Hughes today was named the eighth and latest UFC Hall of Fame inductee.
After a brief presentation on his achievements, 36-year-old Hughes met UFC president Dana White on UFC Fan Expo 2010's main stage at the Mandalay Bay Convetion Center to receive the commemorative award. He thanked fans for their support.
BlueSkiesBurn
5/29/10 12:49:48AM
Awesome, this is long overdue.
prozacnation1978
5/29/10 1:04:10AM
i am glad hughes got his just due
next year who knows who it may be bj penn??
jae_1833
5/29/10 1:32:40AM
That's a great nomination, I'd like for him to enter his twilight years first too before they do it too. Hughes is definately on his last leg.
crushedbacon
5/29/10 2:57:34AM
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
Chael_Sonnen
5/29/10 9:36:14AM
Ever since his second loss to GSP, I always felt like, the new wave of 170 pound fighters are starting to pass Matt by....very glad he beat Serra, I just wonder how competitive he can still be?

Congrats Matt....I will never forget the slam on Carlos Newton....that was my first UFC fight that I watched
MisterFreeze
5/29/10 12:21:06PM
Why do they only induct 1 fighter a year?? why not 2?? there are a good amount of legends out there who deserve to be in the hall of fame , at this rate it will take forever for people to be recognized.
noahgenda
5/29/10 12:36:18PM
wheres don frye?
Chael_Sonnen
5/29/10 1:08:37PM

Posted by noahgenda

wheres don frye?

It's kinda weird...if you look at the UFC roster on ufc.com it has Bas Rutten and Don Frye on the roster...I wonder if that means they'll be inducted soon?

mikeydawg
5/29/10 1:42:27PM
Well deserved... a class act that is truly a legend to the UFC and all mma fans.
BlueSkiesBurn
5/29/10 2:50:51PM
If they had an MMA hall of fame then Bas Rutten would get in. I couldn't make a case for him to be in the UFC HOF.
noahgenda
5/29/10 3:06:41PM
yeah, on the last inside mma they actually had the question which pre-zuffa fighter most deserves a spot in the ufc hall of fame, and i think chris lytle brought up bas, but bas said he didnt have enough ufc fights

but WAMMA or somebody should do an mma hall of fame
BlueSkiesBurn
5/29/10 3:09:39PM
Haha, I think WAMMA folded with Affliction.
noahgenda
5/29/10 3:18:40PM
yeah, im not sure. i know that fedor/rogers was for the wamma belt though, so they didnt fold with affliction, but they have probably folded since, lol
BlueSkiesBurn
5/29/10 3:34:49PM
It was more of a tongue-in-cheek comment. What I was going to say is that WAMMA belts are pointless. They pretty much made the belt so Fedor could be a champ of something.
Aether
5/29/10 4:47:39PM

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Ever since his second loss to GSP, I always felt like, the new wave of 170 pound fighters are starting to pass Matt by....very glad he beat Serra, I just wonder how competitive he can still be?

Congrats Matt....I will never forget the slam on Carlos Newton....that was my first UFC fight that I watched

LOL, you mean when Carlos choked him unconscious with a flying triangle, causing him to pass out and accidentally drop carlos on his head? Sort of a slam, I guess.

Well deserved induction, I just thought it was hilarious that that moment of all would be mentioned. He really should've either lost that fight or gotten a NC.
Jackelope
5/29/10 4:48:54PM
My favorite Hughes slam is from Hughes vs. Trigg 2. Hughes came back from the brink of defeat, picked up Trigg, ran him across the cage, and dumped him on his back to the roar of the crowd. By far one of the greatest moments in UFC history IMO

Glad to see him get his due!
BustedKnuckle
5/31/10 10:38:19PM
This a great feather in the hat of Matt Hughes. Being one of the HOF'ers in the UFC is the best accolade ever!!! Who can top that. Matt was a dominant champ, and is still fighting and winning very competitive fights in the UFC. The Cream of the Crop of MMA!! Props to Hughes!