UFC champ Jose Aldo knows featherweight division won't be a permanent home

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » UFC champ Jose Aldo knows featherweight division won't be a permanent home
jjeans
10/1/11 7:54:06AM
There will be a time when the UFC featherweight champ's kidneys say, "No way, Jose."

A recent video documenting Jose Aldo's weight-cut for UFC 129 is proof positive.

The 25-year-old is misery incarnate as he attempts to shed the final ounces for the 145-pound limit. At one point, he refuses to get back into a bathtub containing a chemical that aids the process but creates a burning sensation on his skin.

Of course, he cuts the pounds. What's he going to do? Not make weight?

Aldo recently pointed to a weight regimen designed to pack on quality muscle mass as the cause for the battle with the scale. But he admitted a time is coming when his growing frame will no longer support the demands he must put on it to fight in the featherweight class.

When that is, he's not sure.

LINK
calitrees
10/1/11 10:47:09AM
this is a good thing Aldo probobly wont be as fast but hell pick up some strength and there are some more interesting fights at 155 than 145
Budgellism
10/1/11 10:52:23AM
Aldo is a big FW, this doesn't come as much of a surprise. There are also a lot of great fights at LW for him. Cerrone, Siver, Guillard, Edgar, etc. All fantastic match ups.
Boo_Radley21
10/1/11 11:25:15AM
When is the fight with Florian going down
Budgellism
10/1/11 11:26:48AM

Posted by Boo_Radley21

When is the fight with Florian going down

A week from now. I can't wait. Awesome, awesome card.
Poor_Franklin
10/1/11 1:39:18PM
im impatiently waiting for his move to 155. if he beat florian, it wouldnt hurt my feelings if he went on up
BuffaloDave
10/1/11 4:37:23PM
At least he is smart and is putting on muscle mass now. Hopefully still working on his cardio to carry the weight and not lose to much speed. If (when) he gets past Ken-Flo, let him fight Mendes, then make the move up to LW.
mizike
10/1/11 5:18:28PM
It is pretty insane how these guys drop 7 to 10 pounds before a fight, some more some less, but God that has to be so fucking rough on your body and then have to recover to be in fight shape back to your normal weight. I would think going up would be much smarther, healthier and you could get more actual muscle and strength on your body then cutting to be a little lighter and quuicker. I think it is tough when your right on that line though, too big for FW, but if you move up you would then be small in the next weight class, so the fighters fight with that line I guess. Tough call
Bubbles
10/1/11 5:54:42PM
he is really going to have to work on his defensive wrestling when he moves up. there arent a whole lot of guys who will want to stand and trade all fight, and the top of the LW chain is wrestler heavy (Edgar, Maynard, Guida, Bendo). i only really see guys like Guillard, Siver, and Stout willing to stand toe to toe
prozacnation1978
10/1/11 10:32:02PM
I can see it now
Aldo goes to 155
Faber goes back to 145 gets another title shot. The guy gets a lot!!!
He has lost his last three. If he beats bowles he gets another. ??

I would like to see cruz vs aldo
bjj1605
10/2/11 12:44:08AM

Posted by calitrees

this is a good thing Aldo probobly wont be as fast but hell pick up some strength and there are some more interesting fights at 155 than 145

Hmmm.... I think he'll be faster (due to avoiding the strain of the cut) and weaker (relatively compared to bigger fighters).

Agree about more interesting fights tho.
Kpro
10/2/11 2:08:10AM

Posted by Bubbles

he is really going to have to work on his defensive wrestling when he moves up. there arent a whole lot of guys who will want to stand and trade all fight, and the top of the LW chain is wrestler heavy (Edgar, Maynard, Guida, Bendo). i only really see guys like Guillard, Siver, and Stout willing to stand toe to toe

I realize all we've seen is his stand-up but his very active black belt Nova Uniao BJJ is no joke for the mainly BJJ-deficient 155 wrestlers. I don't even think most upper level 155 wrestlers would be willing to attempt to pass his guard because of what it would open up for Aldo offensively from the bottom. Aldo isn't a stand-up fighter; he's an elite complete mixed martial artist.
Pookie
10/2/11 3:01:17AM

Posted by Kpro

Posted by Bubbles

I realize all we've seen is his stand-up but his very active black belt Nova Uniao BJJ is no joke for the mainly BJJ-deficient 155 wrestlers. I don't even think most upper level 155 wrestlers would be willing to attempt to pass his guard because of what it would open up for Aldo offensively from the bottom. Aldo isn't a stand-up fighter; he's an elite complete mixed martial artist.

Sshhhhh, let them think Hominick exposed him.
Kpro
10/2/11 3:13:01AM

Posted by Pookie

Posted by Kpro

Posted by Bubbles

I meant to say Aldo has no ground game at all and all wrestlers at any weight class would dominate him so badly he'd quit the sport.
Pookie
10/2/11 3:27:14AM

Posted by Kpro

Posted by Pookie

Posted by Kpro

Posted by Bubbles

I meant to say Aldo has no ground game at all and all wrestlers at any weight class would dominate him so badly he'd quit the sport.

I mean, clearly! Didn't you guys see what Hominick did to him on the ground?
BlueSkiesBurn
10/2/11 7:58:28PM

Posted by Poor_Franklin

im impatiently waiting for his move to 155. if he beat florian, it wouldnt hurt my feelings if he went on up

"IF he beat Florian?" It's a title fight, of course Florian will lose.
poppa_gump
10/2/11 10:39:26PM
Aldo looked terrible in that fight with Hominick and if cutting weight this time hurts him as bad as it did last time then Florian will beat up on him badly.
I was behind the big screen at the weigh-ins in Toronto for 129 and the guy nearly passed out. He couldn't even make it back to the dressing room without sitting down. Aldo is amazing and what an awesome fight to see live but this guy better be careful.
Bubbles
10/3/11 3:53:19PM

Posted by Pookie

Posted by Kpro

Posted by Pookie

Posted by Kpro

Posted by Bubbles

I mean, clearly! Didn't you guys see what Hominick did to him on the ground?

yeah because very active BJJ black belts never lose to wrestlers. who says the wrestler has to pass guard anyways? last i checked, the guy sitting in guard is winning the fight in the judges eyes. and how many times have people complained about Maynard and Guida "lnp-ing" their way to victory?