UFC champ Jon Jones suffered no serious injuries, but UFC giving him a rest

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » UFC champ Jon Jones suffered no serious injuries, but UFC giving him a rest
jjeans
10/3/11 10:47:16AM
Jon Jones entered UFC 135's post-fight press conference with as many ice packs as bruises.

Despite a fourth-submission victory over Quinton "Rampage" Jackson in his first title defense, Jones was issued a six-month medical suspension, and he needed a doctor's examination to rule out any serious injuries.

But UFC president Dana White said Jones essentially got a clean bill of health. Still, he's in no hurry to bring Jones back.

Jones, who's quickly emerged as one of the sport's biggest stars, is next slated to fight top contender Rashad Evans. December's UFC 140 event could use a headliner, but White hinted that Jones, whose medical suspension can end early with a doctor's approval, may not be back before year's end.

LINK
Pookie
10/3/11 10:52:52AM
I think it's crazy that he got a 6 month suspension, and is said to not have any injuries.

I don't buy it. I'm not sure what i'm not buying, but something, on one side or the other, is off.
ncordless
10/3/11 11:59:54AM

Posted by Pookie

I think it's crazy that he got a 6 month suspension, and is said to not have any injuries.

I don't buy it. I'm not sure what i'm not buying, but something, on one side or the other, is off.

Word is that he had deep bone bruising on his feet. That would make sense, as it is a bone injury which automatically can trigger a longer suspension in some states, but would be something that can be ignored when saying he got a clean bill of health.
MaxOne
10/3/11 12:17:20PM
I think he's hurt. His legs are so skinny on some Cory Hill type junk.
FastKnockout
10/3/11 1:01:13PM
I don't understand. Dana said even without injury, he's not in a rush to throw Jones back in the cage. Why? He's the youngest UFC champion, and his popularity is raising at a high rate. Why doesn't Dana want him back in the cage as soon as possible?
grappler0000
10/3/11 1:04:12PM

Posted by FastKnockout

I don't understand. Dana said even without injury, he's not in a rush to throw Jones back in the cage. Why? He's the youngest UFC champion, and his popularity is raising at a high rate. Why doesn't Dana want him back in the cage as soon as possible?

If I remember correctly, that was the plan regardless of the outcome. I think he wanted to take a little a little time off for family.
Budgellism
10/3/11 1:08:29PM
I hope they don't hold off this match up too long. Rashad has been waiting for his title shot for a very long time now.
BigBadAl
10/3/11 1:09:37PM

Posted by ncordless

Posted by Pookie

Word is that he had deep bone bruising on his feet. That would make sense, as it is a bone injury which automatically can trigger a longer suspension in some states, but would be something that can be ignored when saying he got a clean bill of health.

Jonny 'bruised bones' Jones
hashyandy4
10/3/11 1:58:54PM

Posted by Budgellism

I hope they don't hold off this match up too long. Rashad has been waiting for his title shot for a very long time now.

U said it, let shad get his fight
Manak
10/3/11 2:03:25PM

Posted by hashyandy4

Posted by Budgellism

U said it, let shad get his fight

after jones won and rashad came in, didnt he have his hand in a cast... so this could help rashad in healing if it was in a cast

personally rashad should be happy his beating has been delayed,, just dont see how he stands a chance. I know he has speed but 84 inchs
Bubbles
10/3/11 5:02:36PM
this sounds like either Jones is purposely ducking Evans and/or Dana is afraid that Evans will take the belt from his current cash cow. we already suffer enough with every champion taking over 8 months off between fights. if he is healthy, then make him fight. UFC 139-141 are without title fights...and UFC Japan is looking to be title free too (unless they pit Silva vs Sonnen II if Sonnen wins and doesnt break anything). that would be 4 PPV in a row...when was the last time that happened?
kingsmasher
10/4/11 1:20:07AM
Prolly in the scheme of things and theUFC taking off on Fox Bones is really a good ambassador for the sport so IM sure he will be all up on the media at evry event just hyping the fight can only help in the money column...More anticipation creates more interest...therefore mo' money for the UFC...

Also those UFC commercials on Fox are hot!!! Great Idea going with Fox cause their advetising and promotions are definitely for UFC fans to like..Def has an NFL feel...
ghandikush
10/4/11 11:50:55AM
They know Rashad i the only fighter who has a chance to win other than Machida. It was very clear to me that they ducked him when Jones announced surgery and then said jk lol now I'm fighting Rampage insstead.......